Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I am pro-LinkedIn for tech jobs, but like has been said as a mostly passive mechanism. I've maintained a LinkedIn profile for many years now, and never post any news or blogs posts or even comment on others. It's just a basic searchable resume and digital rolodex. I ignore almost all the "social media" aspects of the platform, but I do like seeing how my past colleagues and acquaintances move around over the years. Never know when that sort of info might be useful.

At this point in my career, the vast majority of recruiter contacts I ignore because they have nothing to offer me, especially third party recruiters. If I were earlier on in my career, or just trying to break in, that might be a bit different.

That said, I owe LinkedIn at least partial credit for several of my previous good jobs.

Most recently, an internal tech recruiter for a well-known company I had always been a little interested in happened to reach out to me at the right time, I followed up, and long story short I'm coming up on 2 years with the company and have been very happy.

Before that, I had a more organic experience where I reconnected with an old colleague/boss when LinkedIn said "hey you might know this person", we bounced a few messages back and forth, got together in person, and I ended up working with/for/near that person for nearly 10 years at two different companies and through five job titles/promotions.

Theoretically those things could have happened without LinkedIn, but they didn't, and LinkedIn was the catalyst.

If you're actively looking for a job, just LinkedIn is probably not enough, but it's a key resource to use and to keep updated even when you're not looking. Even if 90%+ of the messages you get aren't worth following up on or don't pan out, even one good one once a year for nearly zero effort is worth it IMO.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU