Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
As the resident Mets fan (I know, :mets:), I would like to point out that "the guy on the cover" is David Wright, aka Captain America, aka one of the most beloved Mets players of all time.

In true Mets fashion, he retired early due to spinal stenosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I've only just gotten around to watching this, but I want to say that I'm glad this LP is showcasing the tragicomedy of baseball. It's good stuff.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 5 - April 2007 part 1 featuring DiscountCleric and MizKriss

Flaccid J. Pnurtis starts what will surely be a long and illustrious career.

And hey, speaking of his career, the second post has been updated with some achievements for Pnurtis to work toward! If you have any suggestions for achievements to add to that list, post them here. But also, I want to commemorate said achievements in some form. If you have any suggestions for something I personally or the thread generally should do to celebrate the unlocking of an achievement, post them here as well!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 5 - April 2007 part 1 featuring DiscountCleric and MizKriss

Flaccid J. Pnurtis starts what will surely be a long and illustrious career.

And hey, speaking of his career, the second post has been updated with some achievements for Pnurtis to work toward! If you have any suggestions for achievements to add to that list, post them here. But also, I want to commemorate said achievements in some form. If you have any suggestions for something I personally or the thread generally should do to celebrate the unlocking of an achievement, post them here as well!

-Get hit by a pitch

-Walk in a run by getting hit by a pitch

-Bunt in a run

-Get in a pickle where ten or more throws occur

Bake and frost a cookie for each achievement subject to your artistic interpretation. Then eat it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
-Start a fight

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Jobbo_Fett posted:

-Start a fight

-Get tossed from a game.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
In rough order of difficulty:

* As a batter: Hit at least 3 foul balls in the same at-bat

* As an outfielder: Jump to catch a ball that was flying over the fence

* As a pitcher: Pitch to all 4 corners of the strike zone

* As a batter: Hit the ball and bean the pitcher with it

I'm not even sure if the game will let you do the last one, but it's worth a try.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If Baseball werent such a coward's sport, it would be a legit tactic for a player to horribly injure the other team's best player and eat the penalty. That's how Canada used hockey to win the cold war :canada:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Danaru posted:

If Baseball werent such a coward's sport, it would be a legit tactic for a player to horribly injure the other team's best player and eat the penalty. That's how Canada used hockey to win the cold war :canada:

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1166815802303090689

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Score a run by stealing every base in the same inning.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A true challenge given Pnurtis's, ah, throwing capabilities is to get the double play on a fly out (make the catch, then pick off the runner who needs to tag back.)

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Knock a pitcher out of the game with a come-backer.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GrandmaParty posted:

-Get hit by a pitch

-Walk in a run by getting hit by a pitch

The Cubs won a game last week with a walk-off hit by pitch run-in.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The Cubs won a game last week with a walk-off hit by pitch run-in.

And the previous batter was hit by a pitch to load the bases.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'd just like to point out that the IRL Blue Jays called up a catcher named Alejandro Kirk, who is 5 foot 8, 285 lbs. Age 21.

And he has been incredible through 4 games.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FairGame posted:

I'd just like to point out that the IRL Blue Jays called up a catcher named Alejandro Kirk, who is 5 foot 8, 285 lbs. Age 21.
Another Cube Catcher? :getin:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I think Toronto just likes them thick

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

now there's some boys you can't knock over easy

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 6 - April 2007 part 2 featuring DiscountCleric and MizKriss

Flaccid Pnurtis, despite everything including himself, is not doing poorly. It's hard to say he's doing well, but it's something.

In regards to achievements, hitting the pitcher is not possible (the ball either goes through them or they catch it and you're out), nor is getting into a fight/getting ejected. And in regards to Jobbo_Fett's "steal every base" achievement, I'm going to assume that doesn't include first base, because waiting for Pnurtis to swing on a third strike, on a wild pitch, that catcher can't handle, just to see if it's even possible to steal first, isn't something I'm willing to wait for.

Also I'm going to specify ahead of time that he has to be called up to the majors to do any of these achievements. Minor league baseball isn't an achievement, it's the MVP (Minimum Viable Product). Could you imagine creating a custom player so bad that he gets zero offers after spring training?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Call taking a walk "stealing first base". The idea would basically be to score a run without swinging the bat.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

* Inning Eater - get thrown out on the basepaths three times in a game, either caught stealing or Thrown Out On The Basepaths Like A Nincompoop

* Forgot My Bat - complete game without making contact with the ball (only walks or called strike 3s)

* Ty Cobb Triple - in one game, succesfully get a bunt single, get a takeout slide into second base, and get ejected

* Knuckler? I Barely Know 'Er! - dinger off a knuckleball pitcher (bonus points if it's a knuckleball)

* DH2 - complete game in the field with no fielding opportunities

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

TheMcD posted:

Call taking a walk "stealing first base". The idea would basically be to score a run without swinging the bat.
Surely that should include the honorable bunt as well.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

At the rate the game makes you participate you're pretty much playing Pnurtis' career in real-time.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 7 - April 2007 part 3 featuring DiscountCleric and MizKriss

Thus ends another recording session. We're doing about one week per session, how many weeks are in a baseball season...

kw0134 posted:

At the rate the game makes you participate you're pretty much playing Pnurtis' career in real-time.

Oh god :psyduck:

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Time for the max stats without ever leaving the minor league challenge! :v:

I am somewhat in awe of this mode's commitment to playing out every single thing your player does. Especially since baseball careers are decades long.

I'm curious how does the game handle people aging out of the game, and does appearance change as you get older?

(I've been watching your never leave Bree challenge, it is great.)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 8 - April 2007 part 4 featuring DiscountCleric, FairGame, and PolarMic

If you think my obligation to post videos and/or grind levels is bad, wait until you hear about pro sports labor disputes! We need some drama to contrast the levity of Flaccid J. Pnurtis, after all.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I am here for the Gary Sheffield Appreciation Station.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
:bunt:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

we need a tootblan emote

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

kw0134 posted:

we need a tootblan emote

:derp:? :marc:?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 9 - April 2007 part 5 featuring DiscountCleric, FairGame, and PolarMic

There is discussion about moving Flaccid J. Pnurtis to the catcher position, but catchers do very little and don't nearly fail so dramatically or comedically.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 10 - April 2007 part 6 featuring DiscountCleric, FairGame, and PolarMic

Flaccid J. Pnurtis, in an effort to do even less work during a baseball game, has discovered that you don't actually have to swing the bat if you bunt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love those Pnurtis stats. How far are you from getting called up to the majors? I remember demolishing the minor leagues but not being able to reach the big leagues because I didn't have 10 stolen bases.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't know what the specific requirements are, but I will say you should stay tuned.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 11 - April 2007 part 7 featuring DiscountCleric, FairGame, and PolarMic

This is the last episode of April 2007, I promise.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I love that Pnurtin' is so small that instead of fist-bumping his teammates he punches them in the gut.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 12 - May 2007 featuring TheMcD and Danaru

Yes, the entire month is in one episode. Things get crazy.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We unlocked an achievement! Thanks to whatever random number goddess is in charge of MLB 07 The Show, Pnurtis got called up to the majors. I literally can't remember who suggested it, but we're going to celebrate achievements with some variety of baked good. So, for our first achievement, let's celebrate with...

Official Flaccid J. Pnurtis Choco-chip Cookies™

Take one stick of room temperature unsalted butter, and 2 cups of the sugar of your choice (I go with half a cup of white sugar plus one and a half cups of brown sugar). Throw it in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the paddle attachment until combined. Or use your arm muscles if you don't have a stand mixer. Pnurtis has no arm muscles though, so they won't be Official if you do that.

Beat in two cold eggs, one at a time.

In a separate bowl, you want 11.5 ounces of all-purpose flour (yes, go by weight, not volume), half a teaspoon of baking soda, a healthy pinch of kosher salt, and three-quarters of a teaspoon of cinnamon. Yes, we're flavoring the cookies themselves with cinnamon instead of vanilla extract. It's good! Anyway, whisk that all together until it's homogenous like this. You want that cinnamon well dispersed.

Slowly beat the dry stuff into the wet stuff. I usually do two additions, so half the flour mixture, beat until combined, then the other half, beat until that's combined. Adding it all at once is asking for a flour explosion in your face, but you also don't want to overmix the cookie dough.

These wouldn't be choco-chip cookies without choco-chips, of course. Weigh out a pound of choco-chips (any less would be unacceptable to Flaccid J. Pnurtis) and stir those in until they're well dispersed. Still be careful about overmixing though.

At this stage, you want to cover the dough and throw it in the fridge for a couple hours, up to overnight. I didn't because I was kind of pressed for time when I was making these, but you absolutely should not skip this step!

Roll out portions as chonky as Pnurtis himself, preferably by weight. Or use an ice cream scoop to get nice big chonkers. Plop 'em on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and put them in a preheated 350 degree oven until done. Time can vary based on local conditions, so keep an eye on them. For reference, mine took twenty minutes.

Remove to racks to cool while still on the parchment paper, and let them cool for at least 5-10 minutes. Again, I didn't refrigerate the dough, so they ran into each other a bit, but if you fridge your dough like you're supposed to, they will hold a rounded Pnurtis shape better. Do as I say, not as I do!

There you go! Now you too can enjoy Official Flaccid J. Pnurtis Choco-chip Cookies™ from the comfort of your own home!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
You got a 5 vote for posting a chocolate chip cookie recipe in the middle of your PS2 Let's Play. I debated taking a point off for suggesting cinnamon INSTEAD of vanilla extract because that's just heresy, but cooler heads won out because you did make cookies after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I am loving the plot twist of Pnurtis the obese designated runner