Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Cat Interceptor has been promoted to moderator! :toot:

Now then, most of us know that AI is fairly easy mode for modding. Most of the time AI does a good job of self moderating and calling out assholes. Its really rare that I have to actually push a button or even get a report. However since the lowtax drama last year, there has been a push from the administrators to limit the amount of forums with a single mod watching over them. This means that you don't have mods getting burnt out quite as easily/quickly, if they step down it doesn't leave a gap in coverage and it helps to have multiple sets of eyes when a problem does come up.

This is not to say that I'm burning out or resigning anytime soon, but I do want to make sure that if I take a page out of Adiabatic's book and decide to gently caress off into the wild blue yonder someday, AI is taken care of.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled shitposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
A number of thread tags have been added to break up the monotony. Use them as you see fit. :toot:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Still no Jorts tag :mad:

Go steal it from YLLS:

(Also, congrats Catte Intercepteur :toot:)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 23, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

KozmoNaut posted:

Still no Jorts tag :mad:

Go steal it from YLLS:

(Also, congrats Catte Intercepteur :toot:)

This travesty has been fixed. :hehe:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Can we not use the Proud Boy's "gently caress around and find out" motto? I understand they didn't coin the term, but...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What is gator law? Is this a Florida man thing?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

Can we not use the Proud Boy's "gently caress around and find out" motto? I understand they didn't coin the term, but...

FAFO is associated with stuff like Gritty and left wing. It's not a Proud Boys meme or their motto.

angryrobots posted:

What is gator law? Is this a Florida man thing?

The GATOR is watching you

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/PickledCroc/status/1367631984307040261?s=19

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not a Proud Boys meme or their motto.

My experience and Google disagree with that statement.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

My experience and Google disagree with that statement.

Dunno what you are googling but it was very distinctly first in use by leftists before Proud Boys - in the flag shown below in fact.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dunno what you are googling but it was very distinctly first in use by leftists before Proud Boys - in the flag shown below in fact.

We're not debating the history of the term... the Proud Boys use it as their motto and it's distasteful.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cpicciolini/status/1237733441380245504?lang=en

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 8, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

We're not debating the history of the term... the Proud Boys use it as their motto and it's distasteful.

They might be trying to co-opt it but as far as I am aware they have not succeeded and it remains firmly and overwhelmingly as a leftist motto. Just because one rando on Twitter says it is doesnt make it so.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

as far as I am aware

I'm trying to raise awareness. :shrug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

meatpimp posted:

I'm trying to raise awareness. :shrug:

Stop doing helping the Proud Boys co-opt a perfectly fine phrase.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Safety Dance posted:

Stop doing helping the Proud Boys co-opt a perfectly fine phrase.

Sorry, it's obviously my fault that the Proud Boys use it as their logo. :rolleyes:

It was a simple request, to avoid white nationalist phraseology in the AI rules thread.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 8, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
A quick google search shows 0 proud boys bullshit but plenty of leftist uses of it. You sure about this meatpimp? :raise:

Edit: And if we wanna go for personal experiences here, every friday I pass a group of people demonstrating and flying various flags including a blm flag and a rainbow fafo flag. Another notable thing are the shirts with catchy slogans like "Kill the GOP". Must be proud boys in disguise. :thunk:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 8, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

They are definitely the ones loving around. They are the finder outers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

A quick google search shows 0 proud boys bullshit but plenty of leftist uses of it. You sure about this meatpimp? :raise:

Edit: And if we wanna go for personal experiences here, every friday I pass a group of people demonstrating and flying various flags including a blm flag and a rainbow fafo flag. Another notable thing are the shirts with catchy slogans like "Kill the GOP". Must be proud boys in disguise. :thunk:

I didn't mean to make this "a thing," nor do I want to unchill this fine garage. But I'll stand by what I said.

Just like tiki torches and red hats don't necessarily mean anything, the fafo slogan HAS been adopted by the Proud Boys. Prove it? Well, we have to go deeper than the surface, because it's a lovely group that uses lovely tactics. However, here's a picture from January 6:

and an Oklahoma Proud Boys web site: http://www.okfafo.com

Which has in its Gallery (and site name):

and a CTVNews story: https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/these-are-some-of-the-extremist-groups-responsible-for-the-violence-on-capitol-hill-1.5259142

which states, in part:

quote:

Amongst several armed and body-armoured rioters that day were those sporting patches or apparel with the acronym FAFO, which stands for “F*** around and find out,” a slogan affiliated with the Proud Boys.

Or a Miami New Times article going back to 2018: https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/inside-miami-alt-right-and-proud-boys-chapter-10945821

which states, in part:

quote:

the group condones violence only in self-defense, though the email signature for the Miami Proud Boys is "gently caress Around and Find Out."

Or an NPR article
with this picture of Proud Boys in FAFO hoodies: https://www.npr.org/2020/12/12/945825924/trump-supporters-arrive-in-washington-once-again-for-a-million-maga-march

I could go on, there's more. Including the chants of it during Proud Boy marches, but I'm not getting that poo poo in my youtube feed.

Look, this isn't a historical AI phrase the got preempted, it's largely in the collective consciousness because of the January insurrection. I'm just asking that we recognize that just like tiki torches, that phrase has been tainted and should be avoided.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 8, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Just because you first heard "gently caress around and find out" in January from some fash rear end in a top hat does not mean it wasn't incredibly common among left-leaning people before then. It was, and it remains common to this day.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 8, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

Stand back and stand by.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I had no idea fascists co-opted that slogan until reading this thread. I’m sure my leftist bubble has insulated me or whatever but uh adding to the whole it’s extremely common on the left and has been for a while.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hunh. Well they already took my hawaiian shirts, they are not taking cuddly rear end gators and FAFO from me. THIS FAR AND NO FARTHER. :argh:

But seriously, if some proud boy winds up on SA and looks into AI thinking that its some crypto fascist safe space based on that, I'd suggest they slam their dick repeatedly in a car door instead.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elmnt80 posted:

But seriously, if some proud boy winds up on SA and looks into AI thinking that its some crypto fascist safe space based on that, I'd suggest they slam their dick repeatedly in a car door instead.

:hmmyes:

gently caress language co-opting; Punch nazis in the throat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Just as a bit of idea we're starting to experiment with is a Community Showcase - show off for a week (? maybe longer?) every now and then a thread that shows off just how good some of the projects and threads that we have in AI.

This week - The Spyder's tales and photodumps of rotary insanity

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562990

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 15, 2022

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hmmm. I think lobersterboy's thread needs some community spotlight time. Up it goes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elmnt80 posted:

Hmmm. I think lobersterboy's thread needs some community spotlight time. Up it goes.

:hmmyes:

Elmnt80 bestmod, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So, once april rolls around, I'm gonna put up a new forum description. Now taking suggestions.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Old guys in new crossovers

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Up next in the community spotlight is a small but good thread by Nadmonk -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943998

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

So, once april rolls around, I'm gonna put up a new forum description. Now taking suggestions.

Car seats, euro beats, and 0-60 feats. We used to be cool, I swear.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dad bods making dad jokes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Rad rods, dad bods, and sad mods

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steely Dad posted:

:emptyquote:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Steely Dad posted:

:lol:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Steely Dad posted:

Yeah, I don't think we'll beat that.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Steely Dad posted:

another +1 on this :laffo:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Steely Dad posted:

Bangarang.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
THE MOD IS SAD. THE PROPHECY IS FULFILLED.