Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have something like this up in TGO and I'd like to do it here too. Basically this is a place to discuss community issue, for users to ask me questions on moderating or whatever else in a public venue dedicated to it. Think mini qcs but solely for AI with some extra utility, you can even call me a big doody head if you want, I won't get mad. I may get kinda sad if you do though. :(

The one thing I will hold firm on is that this is not for calling out your posting enemies. Report bad posters/posts and I'll review them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

In as much as we need one, yes. :v:

And an IK for CA and the EV thread! :sun:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

bolind posted:

Can I just say that modding, as all unpaid volunteer work, can be crap, so I believe I speak for all of AI when I thank you for doing this, and making sure we have a not lovely forum to talk about cars and life in.

I have a proposal though. Back in the day, when camera phones were a new thing, we had a "post cellphone pics" thread, which was actually kinda cool. IoC merged that, the good/bad threads and one more I can't remember, but I'd like to propose a rerun, maybe along the lines of:

Must be your own pic/OC.
Must be a quick snap of something cool/odd/interesting/fugly.

Thoughts?

So long as its AI related, I'm down. vOv

I've been thinking of setting up a driving game thread here in AI like CA has. Either using the CA rules or doing it with numbers in order. Like find a road sign with the number 3 on it type deal, take a picture of the sign with your vehicle and post it. Then you find a road sign with the number 4 on it and take a picture, etc. Give us a community activity to enjoy that gets us out of the house in a responsible way. vOv

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The idea is more for like the number 4, you go find a sign for rt4/I-4/hwy 4/4th st/etc. Then do the same for 5. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

aren't we like, making fun of their weird self referential absurdist rape joke?

i don't really have an opinion on this yet

Nope. The idea was to backronym one of the other forum names to "dress up" as them as a joke for halloween. The ADTRW backronym was the funniest one I could come up with that had some sort of AI flavor to it. The admins found it amusing enough to break the normal 32 character limit on forum names and also branded the anime forum as AI: Anime Insanity.

Krakkles posted:

Hey, slack mods said they wanted this discussed here instead of there:

ADTRW as an initialism is a rape joke (Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse). Apparently at some point the mods of ADTRW decided that sort of wasn't cool, so they hand-waved that it means something else, but I think it's still pretty Not Ok. The #1 google result for ADTRW is the subforum itself, #2 is UrbanDictionary explaining that it stands for Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse.

Can we not participate in this name change with a rape joke?

I get that some people are comfortable with "they changed what they say it stands for and that's good enough for me", but I'm not, and I don't think I'm the only one.

I think AI is better than this and I'd like us to show it.

As for ADTRW's name. Yeah, its original name was "Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse" as a generally very lovely joke about anime as a medium, but the residents of adtrw collectively decided a decade or so ago that rape jokes were lovely and unfunny. They went by just the forum initials for a while in anything remotely "official" to the site and around 2013/2014 began backronyming it to a variety of other titles. There are some users in ADTRW who would prefer to have a whole acronym itself changed, but from what I understand, the majority of ADTRW forum users are fine with having the acronym remain while having a constantly changing backronym as its own joke that distances them from the forum's original name and its lovely connotations.

In the same way, if AI/CA decided that we as a community felt it was lovely to make light of mental illnesses through the references in our forum names, I'm sure the first thing that would be tried is backronyming the AI/CA initials into something else.

Same with TCC if they decided that collectively being referred to as a bunch of crackheads sucked.

And yeah, the urban dictionary definition gives ADTRW's original name, because the definition is from 2004, which is when it was what ADTRW stood for. Now it is just a jumble of letters that gets backronymed constantly and its spent more time as this definition than it did as its original definition. And I'd say the ADTRW users and mods get the actual say in what their forum name is and what it stands for than a bunch of nerds from another forum that don't post there.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The confederate flag is a symbol with 300 years of oppression, slavery and terror wrapped up into it. Adtrw is an anime forum on the internet. Apples and a nation composed of racist secessionists my dude.

And sure, for people that haven't actually interacted with the broader SA forum outside of their home forum in the last decade, it'll still have that connotation. But thats their fault for sequestering themselves and assuming the rest of the forum has remained exactly the same.

To draw an actual parallel, would you make the same fuss if I had the forum name to an Archer reference? If not, why? Because the show had that same basic joke in 2013, several years after ADTRW decided that using a reference to tentacle rape as their forum name was lovely.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

To answer why I'm taking such a strong stance on this, here ya go.

I don't think it helps that I don't think the original adtrw name was a rape joke in the definition of something that makes fun of the act of rape specifically, but rather a tasteless borderline racist/xenophobic joke about how anyone who likes animation from japan is a pervert who gets off to hentai. Tentacle rape was chosen because it is a unique subgenre of that particular medium and wasn't chosen because of the rape portion of it, but rather to drive home "lol, cartoon watchers are perverts". Tentacle rape being a subgenre of hentai is getting into a whole different bag of worms.

The second is that I feel that even it was a rape joke, its unnecessarily lovely to take that view of another forum on SA that is actively trying to distance themselves from the associations dumped on them previously. Sure, they could change their name and acronym, but you'd still have people responding to a mention of "the anime forum" with "oh, you mean adtrw, the forum with the dumb tentacle rape joke in the name?" Instead they've tried to toss out the lovely joke part of it and spent the better part of a decade making much better jokes by backromyning the initials. I find the way they've tried to rehabilitate it interesting and at times they've come up with some funny ones.

Everyone I've interacted with personally from adtrw has been perfectly fine and the suggestion that they're doing some dog whistle wink wink nudge nudge bit and secretly laughing about their forum acronym remaining being some secret rape joke is again making some very poor assumptions about them, whether intentional or not.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 25, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

vOv

I think that core disagreement is probably going to be an impasse, because tentacle rape being a part of rape culture and its part in the normalization of rape culture there is touching on parts of japanese culture that I am way too much of a white dude from the deep U.S. south to be commenting on.

In any case, If ya'll (meaning whoever has an idea) have a better backronym for another forum, post it up and we can change it.

I've lost the list I had previously, but some of the ones I can remember or have thought up since, do try to keep it below 32 characters (No, I don't know why I keep referencing subarus and yugos):

Goons Boiling Suitomos (Seat gets credit for this)
Generally Broken Subarus
Posting Yugos Favorably
Quick Change Steering (This one is toplitzen's)
Neverending Miata Discussion/Destruction
Broken Subaru Society
Porsches, Yugos, Fords
Toyotas Creatively Constructed
Centrifugal Superchargers Produce Automotive Magic

Edit: feel free to vote on any you like too. The cspam one is kinda tickling my fancy atm.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 26, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I don't get the BYOBD2 title. :v:

Edit: I just said it aloud and it clicked. God drat it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

buttan pooshed.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Angryrobots is good at this. Angryrobots for anime mod.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It shouldn't affect it at all. Something fucky may be going on with your archive access, I'd say PM an admin/Jeffrey.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, I'm not sure if it was a ~thing~ when IoC was mod and I dunno if Adiabatic did it while mod, but there is a section of the goldmine called the goodmine dedicated to cool goon projects and such that I'd like to make more use of in AI. The idea is that when there is a big project thread that wraps up, I'd like to send it to the goodmine so other goons lookin for cool stuff can see how AI rolls. It also keeps them more accessible for people looking for them for archive purposes. While I can't move stuff thats dropped into archives, I'd see about moving any completed project threads (or ones that have a bunch of completed content but have dropped off due to inactivity) that are on the active forums there.

I'd also like to see if we can get a reboot to the "People you share the road with" going so if nothing else, at least the op isn't a permabanned user. It feels appropriate since it has evolved from being a thread about sharing the road with poorly maintained cars to griping about sharing the road with general idiots and bad drivers.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lol, no. A project car is never really finished and all that, but if a thread drops off to where it would normally be archived and has a ton of good content in it, I'd rather it be in the goodmine where other goons can check it out.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

Were you going to do this or was this your way of asking us to do it? If the latter I will.

More musing out loud, then promptly forgetting 10 minutes later. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Congrats to the new AI IK, Mr Chips! Sheep game is now mandatory. :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Cat Interceptor has been promoted to moderator! :toot:

Now then, most of us know that AI is fairly easy mode for modding. Most of the time AI does a good job of self moderating and calling out assholes. Its really rare that I have to actually push a button or even get a report. However since the lowtax drama last year, there has been a push from the administrators to limit the amount of forums with a single mod watching over them. This means that you don't have mods getting burnt out quite as easily/quickly, if they step down it doesn't leave a gap in coverage and it helps to have multiple sets of eyes when a problem does come up.

This is not to say that I'm burning out or resigning anytime soon, but I do want to make sure that if I take a page out of Adiabatic's book and decide to gently caress off into the wild blue yonder someday, AI is taken care of.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled shitposting.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A number of thread tags have been added to break up the monotony. Use them as you see fit. :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Still no Jorts tag :mad:

Go steal it from YLLS:

(Also, congrats Catte Intercepteur :toot:)

This travesty has been fixed. :hehe:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A quick google search shows 0 proud boys bullshit but plenty of leftist uses of it. You sure about this meatpimp? :raise:

Edit: And if we wanna go for personal experiences here, every friday I pass a group of people demonstrating and flying various flags including a blm flag and a rainbow fafo flag. Another notable thing are the shirts with catchy slogans like "Kill the GOP". Must be proud boys in disguise. :thunk:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 8, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hunh. Well they already took my hawaiian shirts, they are not taking cuddly rear end gators and FAFO from me. THIS FAR AND NO FARTHER. :argh:

But seriously, if some proud boy winds up on SA and looks into AI thinking that its some crypto fascist safe space based on that, I'd suggest they slam their dick repeatedly in a car door instead.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hmmm. I think lobersterboy's thread needs some community spotlight time. Up it goes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, once april rolls around, I'm gonna put up a new forum description. Now taking suggestions.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

:qq:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

InitialDave posted:

THE MOD IS SAD. THE PROPHECY IS FULFILLED.

And so it shall be.

Speaking of sad mods, please welcome (back) our newest IK, IOwnCalculus. Enjoy buddy. :kheldragar:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Next up is Spade's thread about owning and tracking mamy cool cars including a corvette in notamericaland. Enjoy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Not gonna lie, the new and returning posters and their projects makes me super happy. :kimchi:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That honestly sounds like a fun idea. I'd be for it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Krakkles posted:

I can't do anything about it, but bravo.

But I can. :black101:

Its just an image in your title, so I submitted a title change request, replaced it with an AI gang tag, admin just has to hit a buttan and it'll go through.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Now, name changes are trickier. I can't just gift those, since unknowingly changing someone's username locks them out of their account if they don't know what you changed it to. Admins can do it, but are somewhat hesitant without a mod explaining exactly why and discussing it with the user beforehand.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And next thread in the community spot light is Agrikk's thread about buying a :krad: Ford Torino that has now arrived and delivered with some baller pics!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945556

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

DMV megathread

Care to elaborate?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I think us Americans can take being mocked occasionally given we have been the dominant culture on this planet for the last century give or take. As with anything, context will matter and someone being a constant raging rear end in a top hat against others for no reason other than them being American is bad and might be worth punishing, but someone calling you a seppo once a year ain't really it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The forum description has been updated with the ravings of our own seat safety switch. Its a goodun.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

As somebody else who occasionally makes modding decisions, it sounds like STR was not in a great place mentally, and he and CAT agreed over PMs that it would be best for him to take a break from the forums. A thread of anonymous internet well-wishers shouting advice is not a support group. I don't know what was discussed in PMs, but STR is on a posting vacation and he can come back whenever he's ready.

In short, exactly this. It's a mental health break, let him focus on rehab and getting himself sorted, then PM an admin (not me or cat) to have the probe rescinded. It has been something done elsewhere on the forum and we felt it was the best solution here. It was discussed and agreed to by STR and Cat before being implemented.

In Rhyno's case, he flat out needed to be in therapy and dealing with his suicidal ideation. Long term, allowing discussion of suicidal ideation can have an effect on other users and corresponds with a trend of increasing suicide attempts among a user base. Following the guidelines given to the mods, Rhyno should have been permabanned. We discussed the option taken with the admins with the hope that Rhyno will deal with his poo poo and come back. As to that, we'll see.

Both of these are flat out the most unpleasant things I've dealt with since becoming mod, but I strongly feel that both were the best action to take for the long term health of the community and the users in question. And in both cases it was done after discussion between cat, myself, mr chips and the admin team.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Thanks for the explanation. It doesn't sound like a fun part of the job but with more context it sounds like the right approach. Thanks for the work you put into the site, especially the lovely parts.

Other guy, you must be lost.

It is probably the shittiest part so far tbh, but it is what it is. But yeah, this is why this thread is here, don't ever worry about asking why we did something or voicing a concern.

AI is still one of the easiest subforums on the site to be a mod for and that's down to having a wonderful group of posters here, ya'll make it all worth it. :love:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:glomp:

Most of my SA time is spent in TFF, HCH, chill Video Games threads, and AI (and mostly lurking here). Venturing into SAD has really opened my eyes to what mods/admins from TFF and AI, specifically, mean when they're thankful to be in a laid back part of SA (yes, the American football sub is laid back).

Again, mostly lurker and not trying to delve into specifics, but has anyone been in contact with Rhyno recently? That was a stressful saga just as someone reading the chat thread, much less having to moderate it.

Rhyno has recently contacted another goon on facebook. What was discussed is between them, but yes, Rhyno is alive and kickin still.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Howdy ya'll. As some of you may have noticed, I haven't been around much for a while now. The truth is I was feeling pretty burnt out in general coming into late spring and had let off the throttle a bit to try and recover. Helping manage burnout like this was one of the purposes behind having Cat as my co-mod and Chips as our IK. And then at the end of May I started what I would describe as the absolute worst 3 straight months of my life. To say I have grown more burnt out than I ever have been is an understatement. Levels of burnout and depression that I have not thought possible. I just don't have the time and energy to devote to modding AI at the moment and don't know when this is going to change.

And you folks deserve more. You deserve an active mod, Cat and Chips deserve an active Co-Mod. So I'm stepping down and we've selected a new mod and they are in the process of being approved. In the future once my life calms down, I'm not opposed to returning as mod if needed.

Being the mod of AI has been a uniquely wonderful experience and I thank all of you for accepting me in this role. I have been immensely proud of this community, especially post yikesaroo/Lowtax abuse reveal and how it came together to repudiate his actions and the overwhelming desire to keep this community together. This is one of the best car forums on the internet and I hope my tenure as mod leaves it better than it was when I started.

:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Does this mean the sass can resume?

:hmmyes:

Gonna sass the new mod so hard. :unsmigghh: