Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Elmnt80 posted:

Congrats to the new AI IK, Mr Chips! Sheep game is now mandatory. :getin:

Hello!

Krakkles posted:

Is it mod-sass to suggest that Google Forms would make that game a lot easier to administrate?

Nope, but to be honest the Sheep Game is very easy to manage in its current form - I have a custom-made program that runs a database of answers, where you can add together and break apart answers into categories and it even spits out the tabulated answers in BBCode format when I need it. About the only attention I need to give it is making sure the entries are in basically the same format as I enter them in. A Google Form would probably help with that, but I haven't looked into it yet because I keep forgetting to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937310

This month's featured project is Tomarse's Saab 99 Turbo!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sheep Game Update! (click here to play today!)

We're just under two weeks to the deadline of December 20th to get your Sheep Game entries in, and so far we are way down on entries compared to normal - the last two years we've had over 60 participants, this year we are on track for less than 40...this is disappointing AI, we can do better than this! Come take part in this end of the year tradition and have a little fun with your fellow posters, as we've done for the last seven years!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

In short, exactly this. It's a mental health break, let him focus on rehab and getting himself sorted, then PM an admin (not me or cat) to have the probe rescinded. It has been something done elsewhere on the forum and we felt it was the best solution here. It was discussed and agreed to by STR and Cat before being implemented.

In Rhyno's case, he flat out needed to be in therapy and dealing with his suicidal ideation. Long term, allowing discussion of suicidal ideation can have an effect on other users and corresponds with a trend of increasing suicide attempts among a user base. Following the guidelines given to the mods, Rhyno should have been permabanned. We discussed the option taken with the admins with the hope that Rhyno will deal with his poo poo and come back. As to that, we'll see.

Both of these are flat out the most unpleasant things I've dealt with since becoming mod, but I strongly feel that both were the best action to take for the long term health of the community and the users in question. And in both cases it was done after discussion between cat, myself, mr chips and the admin team.

To add to this, all three of us discussed at length what actions we were going to take with respect to STR and Rhyno; this was not a decision that was just made in a vacuum by any one of us by any means. It was doubly difficult in that in spite of their issues, both posters are fundamentally likeable people and are held generally in high regards by our community as a whole. But, there comes a time when they need to take a break from posting and get straightened out; we on the mod team will welcome them both back whole-heartedly once they are in a better place, and we hope all of you will too.