Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

ehhhhhhhh but politics is everywhere, you can't run and hide from it and to pretend you can suggests the decisions made don't affect you or you're cool with how things are (and you really shouldn't be). it's also nice to discuss it with people you know rather than with people you don't. Yes there are specific political forums but the mods there don't threaten probes when you talk about other subjects do they? He was definitely far too keen to squash any political discussion even if it was benign in nature and that's either poor modding or an inherent desire to avoid other people's views because they didn't align with his.

I doubt that, he was probably responding to complaints about it and doing his job actually.

I didn't complain to him about it, but I was perfectly fine with keeping it out tbh. I get enough of it everywhere else and sometimes it's nice to chat without it coming up for a change.

Not everyone makes decisions based on their personal views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hell yeah that's awesome. I'm a huge punk fan and Black Flag has a song called "White Minority" where they are basically mocking the idiot Nazi Skinheads but of course most people didn't get it and labeled Black Flag as racist :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Me too, new music is pretty much crap so I find myself going backwards and listening to a lot of old rock and punk.

Especially the early stuff that inspired punk like the Stooges, Johnny Thunders (with and without NY Dolls) etc.

The Who definitely had the punk energy I love them too :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I'm more of a rock/punk/metal fan and to be honest it's all been done, not to much sounds fresh or original these days. There's so much more out there now too and it's hard to find the time for all of it. I try but I've been disappointed for the most part, however there are a few gems out there.

I like Tame Impala a lot, they're probably the newest band (or soloist really) that I've gotten into lately. great stuff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

To be fair his supporters don't listen to the lyrics either tho. It's the chorus that counts! Born in the USA! Rockin' in the Free World! MAGA!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How could the chant gently caress YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME repeated over and over again not clue you in? :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, I remember after hearing that song a few times and then listening to the album I was like whoa, these guys are super political, even more than Megadeth who I loved at that time (and still do). Was a huge shift from most of the good time rock n roll stuff going on, Rage came along and the Seattle thing took over and it was so long party rock :v:

Party rock is cool too, it just wore out it's welcome by then there was too much of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Megadeth: great music, definitely very political, shame about the actual politics.

Peace Sells and Symphony of Destruction are still relevant today. Not sure about their later stuff or Dave Mustaine's personal politics tho, probably don't want to know :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mustaine was a gift to metal but he reminds me a lot of that doofus Ted Nugent

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol it's not a big deal, how old were you even when that song came out, in what, 1991 or 92? Cuz when I was a young kid I didn't pay attention to lyrics either tbh. Some of the poo poo i listened too I didn't get until i was older and i was like ohhhhhh that's what that song is about! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah thanks guys, modding is a job for sure and I appreciate it.