Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut
you can't feed a family on job satisfaction...not that most of us computer do-ers have families anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

i just checked for London and good construction jobs pay better than lovely software ones

the crane operators building the stanford hospital were paid more than the surgeons now working inside of it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Good! Can you imagine how mad that would make the surgeons if you told them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the crane operators building the stanford hospital were paid more than the surgeons now working inside of it

this sounds like some extremely fallacious "did you know that bus drivers in san francisco make $150,000 a year!!" (a BUS DRIVER shouldn't make as much as someone doing an IMPORTANT JOB) (four bus drivers did, by working 30 hours of overtime a week all year) thing

i'm gonna guess in this case it's the surgeons (or even more speciously, the surgery residents) working out their hourly rate and finding it comes out to less than a crane operator who can't legally work more than a certain number of hours by OSHA regs

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 10, 2020

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

*gets paid handsomely while writing this at fake job and fuming that someone would suggest rbac and role mining in nano domino 2020*

some people say ‘authorize ‘em with roles’
a poor solution with faulty controls
titles and forms and ticks in a box
a definition that’s weak and a role count strong

i mine 16 apps
and what do I get
another approver
that I haven’t found yet
sox don't you audit me cause I can't show
a precise enough level of access control

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

this sounds like some extremely fallacious "did you know that bus drivers in san francisco make $150,000 a year!!" (a BUS DRIVER shouldn't make as much as someone doing an IMPORTANT JOB) (four bus drivers did, by working 30 hours of overtime a week all year) thing

i'm gonna guess in this case it's the surgeons (or even more speciously, the surgery residents) working out their hourly rate and finding it comes out to less than a crane operator who can't legally work more than a certain number of hours by OSHA regs

norcal crane operators should be easily clearing the pay of residents and fellows though and they count as surgeons. hell they probably do most of the work too

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I know a crane operator in NorCal and I know what he makes and it isn’t six figgies so...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
must be seven then

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
im a crane operator in norcal and I earn ten billion dollars a year

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

you move 16 printers and what do you get?
out of toner errors and a broken ink-jet.
st peter don’t you call me cause I can’t go,
im reload all these paper trays and gotta load more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i'm not paid more than construction workers, though. i mean, more than some, but not all.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mr. Nice! posted:

i'm not paid more than construction workers, though. i mean, more than some, but not all.

then why dont you get the HECK outta my thread

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’m a pheasant plucker in southwest michigan and i earn seven buckets if feathers every autumn.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

im a crane operator in norcal and I earn ten billion dollars a year

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

President Beep posted:

I’m a pleasant phucker

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

How much did the surgeons get paid if they worked outside?

:confused:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Schadenboner posted:

How much did the surgeons get paid if they worked outside?

:confused:

take a look at military officer payscale o-3 through o-6 and add on a couple hundred thousand in bonus dollars for a three year obligation and other various incentive payments. between 100-200k/year or more depending on their experience.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mr. Nice! posted:

take a look at military officer payscale o-3 through o-6 and add on a couple hundred thousand in bonus dollars for a three year obligation and other various incentive payments. between 100-200k/year or more depending on their experience.

Yeah, but I've seen M*A*S*H, they get to work inside tents?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

stanford just intensely underpays their surgeons, to the point that they're having problems retaining staff and recruiting people. surgical residents make like $65k, p sure fellows are still under 6.5 figgies, and surgical attendings are way way below market for the area, to the point that they can't afford houses there lol

also people don't realize that crane operation is a Big Deal with a whole lotta liability. they hafta inspect the entire thing every day and document it all. really the head electrician in charge of all the wiring for the new hospital also probably outearns the surgeons by a larger amount

The Management posted:

I know a crane operator in NorCal and I know what he makes and it isn’t six figgies so...

ask him what experienced tower crane operators make. or is it mobile crane operators? i forget which one is the more liable one, but they get up into 6.5 figgie territory after a few years

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 11, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

stanford just intensely underpays their surgeons, to the point that they're having problems retaining staff and recruiting people. surgical residents make like $65k, p sure fellows are still under 6.5 figgies, and surgical attendings are way way below market for the area, to the point that they can't afford houses there lol

a few years back stanford had to start building "low-income housing" ($800k duplexes) for their junior faculty, because the salary for a tenure-track professor at The Most Expensive ∴ The Best University In The World wasn't remotely enough to raise a family in palo alto.

just nuke palo alto imo, that'll fix some poo poo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
palo alto is actually kind of a normal looking town with mostly normal houses that sit on land which is inexplicably worth $4 million. palo alto could get a LOT denser with fourplexes and high-rises etc., and yeah the nimbys fight back against that, gently caress them. but there are way worse places in the bay area to nuke first. try atherton, or hillsborough, or los altos hills, or woodside. flatten those, install 50 story soulless concrete apartments

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also people don't realize that crane operation is a Big Deal with a whole lotta liability. they hafta inspect the entire thing every day and document it all. really the head electrician in charge of all the wiring for the new hospital also probably outearns the surgeons by a larger amount

pff i code websites, how hard could it be

*drops 1 ton i-beam on a tesla* woopsie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fortunately it's all so close together that your average 150kt tactical nuke dropped right on the facebook hq would also render the entire eastern side of the peninsula uninhabitable.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

fortunately it's all so close together that your average 150kt tactical nuke dropped right on the facebook hq would also render the entire eastern side of the peninsula uninhabitable.

no plan is perfect but I like where you're going

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
question for bay area folks -

I'm thinking about taking a job in SF, kind of near the financial district. We're a one income family, where should I look for housing? salary is low 200k plus some RSUs that are probably worthless

shitpost away but I'd welcome serious advice too

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 12, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
buy a boat and only pay rent to dock at a "residential" slip

however doing this may require a commute from emeryville, apparently they've significantly limited those slips/leases in sf proper. but it's apparently way more affordable, like trailer park affordable

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

power botton posted:

no plan is perfect but I like where you're going

There is significant risk here though: if it's all built-up like that better to chuck five or six mirvs at it, just in case?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

buy a boat and only pay rent to dock at a "residential" slip

however doing this may require a commute from emeryville, apparently they've significantly limited those slips/leases in sf proper. but it's apparently way more affordable, like trailer park affordable

drat. that sounds cool.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Poopernickel posted:

I'm thinking about taking a job in SF, kind of near the financial district. We're a one income family, where should I look for housing? salary is low 200k plus some RSUs that are probably worthless

depends a lot on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for.

whatever it is, you do not want to drive to work in San Francisco. so find somewhere with reasonable access to BART or Caltrain.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Poopernickel posted:

you can probably get a bedroom and shared kitchen within an hour commute if yall are cool with roommates

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Crane operators can actually do a surgeons job better too. Who would you trust to pilot the robot surgery knife, some rear end in a top hat who did 10 years of med school or whatever or a bloke who's been precisely controlling heavy weights on teh end of a l;ong string for 30 years

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bobbilljim posted:

Crane operators can actually do a surgeons job better too. Who would you trust to pilot the robot surgery knife, some rear end in a top hat who did 10 years of med school or whatever or a bloke who's been precisely controlling heavy weights on teh end of a l;ong string for 30 years

yeah. surgeons don't fall 475 feet to their death when they extend their scalpel hand too much

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

trick question fuckwit: trust Jesus Christ.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’m sorry that was harsh. it’s just that i get so angry when people don’t honor christ. plus i just hosed up a move in candy crush.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Jesus was a Crane Operator

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah. surgeons don't fall 475 feet to their death when they extend their scalpel hand too much

they also dont read anatomy books for seven years usually

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

President Beep posted:

I’m sorry that was harsh. it’s just that i get so angry when people don’t honor christ. plus i just hosed up a move in candy crush.

I understand

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bored Online posted:

pffft like you need to know the names of all of those bones you're cutting through

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bored Online posted:

Wikipedia exists. this is some dog and pony show poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
youtube can guide you thru any operation except for maybe some occult russian partial brain transplants