Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

echinopsis posted:

youtube can guide you thru any operation except for maybe some occult russian partial brain transplants

youtube made caro a battlefield medic in libya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

now this I like

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:smugmrgw:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Poopernickel posted:

question for bay area folks -

I'm thinking about taking a job in SF, kind of near the financial district. We're a one income family, where should I look for housing? salary is low 200k plus some RSUs that are probably worthless

shitpost away but I'd welcome serious advice too

traffic in sf is terrible, especially downtown; avoiding driving is going to be the biggest factor. that probably means either taking bart across the bay, taking caltrain up the peninsula, or taking bart/muni within sf. you can definitely afford to live in sf if you want. i really like a lot of the outlying neighborhoods in sf that aren't high on the tech bro list, like out in the richmond or around the outer mission. if you can say where exactly work would be, what you like to do, and whether you have kids or something we can probably help more, if you're still thinking about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Motorcycle

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

Motorcycle

Suggestions/threats to self-harm prohibited in YOSPOS.

:ohdear:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

traffic in sf is terrible, especially downtown; avoiding driving is going to be the biggest factor. that probably means either taking bart across the bay, taking caltrain up the peninsula, or taking bart/muni within sf. you can definitely afford to live in sf if you want. i really like a lot of the outlying neighborhoods in sf that aren't high on the tech bro list, like out in the richmond or around the outer mission. if you can say where exactly work would be, what you like to do, and whether you have kids or something we can probably help more, if you're still thinking about it

for sure! company in question is in the financial district. I've got a wife and a toddler. We'd like to live someplace family-friendly, so no 1000 square-foot condo. We used to be pretty into restaurants and bars, but that was before the kid came along. These days, I'd prioritize "good place to be a kid" over "good place to be an adult".

I was thinking about Richmond, Oakland, or San Mateo - or maybe somewhere out in the burbs like Walnut creek if daily BART is realistic.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
keep in mind that "the richmond", a district of san francisco where you can live, is very different from "richmond", a city in the east bay where you should not live

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Poopernickel posted:

for sure! company in question is in the financial district. I've got a wife and a toddler. We'd like to live someplace family-friendly, so no 1000 square-foot condo. We used to be pretty into restaurants and bars, but that was before the kid came along. These days, I'd prioritize "good place to be a kid" over "good place to be an adult".

I was thinking about Richmond, Oakland, or San Mateo - or maybe somewhere out in the burbs like Walnut creek if daily BART is realistic.

no to Richmond or Oakland. Walnut Creek is probably fine, I don’t know.

for family friendly you might want to go further south on the peninsula and the South Bay. from San Mateo to Los Gatos should be mostly good. the train ride from Sunnyvale to sf is about an hour.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if you want family friendly, my building in belmont has a few vacant units, you can get a 2 bedroom for around $3k/mo. then again you said "no 1000 square foot condo". what does family friendly mean to you? because we have several kids in this building, there's a really nice park across the street, good school districts, etc. but no, you do not have a private yard for your kid to play in, or a white picket fence. if you want a whole house, you are gonna pay a lot more, and you'll need to go quite far south or quite far east to find anything truly affordable, even at 200k. maybe technically you can pay the $7-8k/mo for a house in san mateo but do you really want to? it sucks to make so much yet still feel constrained by housing prices

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
okay, so anywhere you could reasonably call the financial district is within reasonable walking distance of bart/muni trains. whether caltrain is reasonable depends on exactly where work is and how much tolerance you have for walking. someday they will finish the caltrain extension into the transit center and the fourth avenue subway, but i wouldn’t plan around them in the short term

i don’t know much about downtown richmond (the city) other than received wisdom about it being a very poor city with a lot of gang activity. my grandparents used to live on the richmond outskirts in el sobrante, and i can tell you that those neighborhoods are a very quiet low-density suburb with some great parks for kids, and it’s still quite cheap for the bay area, but your commute would be pretty long because you’d have to drive to the bart park-and-ride in el cerrito. also there aren’t a ton of apartments, you might have to rent a house

mostly though i would encourage you to revisit your thinking about a “1000-square-foot condo”. that’s like a two-bedroom apartment, which is perfectly reasonable for a young couple with a toddler as long as you’re not trapped inside. if you have more kids, then yes, you‘ll outgrow it as they get older, but there’s real virtue in just renting somewhere adequate in the meantime to give yourself a chance to explore neighborhoods and figure out what you want without the pressure of feeling tied to a huge investment or needing to make a decision in a couple of weeks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been looking to buy in the UK and lol we'd be delighted with a nice 1000sqf terraced house. That's a pretty decent size!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

americans are broke brained about house size. i remember one yosposter years ago who owned like a 5000 sqft house in the middle of some california hell desert for just him and his wife and two toddlers and he had several unfurnished rooms that he hadn't set foot in in months.

see also cars, where people have an eight pound 20" long baby and immediately realize they need a 6300lb 8-seat SUV with a two ton towing capacity

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

mostly though i would encourage you to revisit your thinking about a “1000-square-foot condo”. that’s like a two-bedroom apartment, which is perfectly reasonable for a young couple with a toddler as long as you’re not trapped inside.

Very true. Also $newjob is full-remote until next summer, and that's probably true across the industry right now. So having a quiet home-office is pretty key.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

americans are broke brained about house size. i remember one yosposter years ago who owned like a 5000 sqft house in the middle of some california hell desert for just him and his wife and two toddlers and he had several unfurnished rooms that he hadn't set foot in in months.

see also cars, where people have an eight pound 20" long baby and immediately realize they need a 6300lb 8-seat SUV with a two ton towing capacity

the family across the hall from me has 2 school aged kids, a ~20 yo niece living with them, and the husband and wife, in a 500 sq ft apartment

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have not lived a lot lace larger than 1059 square feet in the last 15 years.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the average newly constructed american home is 2500 square feet

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the big house

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

the average newly constructed american home is 2500 square feet

yeah but they’re all built like poo poo so after a few years when some of the rooms collapse they functionally shrink a fair bit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

yeah but they’re all built like poo poo so after a few years when some of the rooms collapse they functionally shrink a fair bit

how many houses have you built, tough guy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
had to convert the guest room and shed into offices for myself and miss management so we can both work from home. take that into consideration.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oh you like houses so much? name every board.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i think we get paid more because our job entails a lot of self loathing

it’s like danger money for mental health

with that said, it’s loving disgusting that I earn 4 times what my mother does when she’s a 40+ year tenured nurse, helping people with serious mental health issues in the community, while all I do is wave my hands around and link people to docs via email all day

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gentle Autist posted:

i think we get paid more because our job entails a lot of self loathing

it’s like danger money for mental health

with that said, it’s loving disgusting that I earn 4 times what my mother does when she’s a 40+ year tenured nurse, helping people with serious mental health issues in the community, while all I do is wave my hands around and link people to docs via email all day

my sister is some type of social worker helping poor kids with disabilities and she'll never make any money. lol!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
my house is 800 square foot and it cost 500k USD. i live across the road from a drug dealer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bobbilljim posted:

my house is 800 square foot and it cost 500k USD. i live across the road from a drug dealer

lucky...

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

oh you like houses so much? name every board.

cmu has a tradition of student orgs building little booths for kids for the spring carnival. one year the org i was in made a booth with a curved wall, so we had to label the wall segments so they'd end up in the right place. as we were a soviet-themed org making a booth themed after a russian folktale i chose to do that by scrawling various russian women's names on the back of each piece. after the carnival they were disassembled, but the surface material was a relatively expensive thin plywood, so they've held onto it and keep reusing it, apparently rediscovering the names on the back to general confusion year after year

anyway: anya, katerina, yvgenia, ...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

keep going

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i'm not even sure i used yvgenia tbh, there was a ukrainian woman in the org named that and i might've decided it was too weird

anyway that's my board naming story, you're up next

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

uh...

knotty. grainface. squiggles.

uh,

kilny... uh. long thomas.

studs terkel. jason bourde....

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah that’s all of them

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i unfortunately have to get a larger house for my gf and i to move in together because we have a 5 cats and a corgi between us. as much as she and I could easily live in an 800 sq ft 2/1 or smaller, 5 cats would not be very happy.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
protip: you can take put the cats in a bag and throw it in the river

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nah i like my cats. her cats are cool, too. they're all strays or fosters that we've adopted over the years.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Post corgipix.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

he’s chilling next to me at the moment. little dude got fat from me overfeeding him and leaving him with unfettered access to litter boxes.

he was over 36 lbs at his heaviest. he’s on a diet now and has slimmed down to 31.6. he’s on track to be at his goal weight in 4-6 months at a pound a month.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mr. Nice! posted:

he’s chilling next to me at the moment. little dude got fat from me overfeeding him and leaving him with unfettered access to litter boxes.

he was over 36 lbs at his heaviest. he’s on a diet now and has slimmed down to 31.6. he’s on track to be at his goal weight in 4-6 months at a pound a month.

ADAG, plz no bodyshame.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
would pet that dogge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

he would love it. he's such a good boy.

Schadenboner posted:

ADAG, plz no bodyshame.

he's 7 now and on the back half of his life. to keep him healthy and happy he needs to be a slim doggo.