Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm a construction worker that wants to learn to code before my body gives out in 10-15 years.

I learned how to fly buildings over buildings and weld though. Ironworkers build/direct the crane, (the crane guy still needs to know what's up)
I've also built houses/remodeled done windows/doors etc.

Just imagine how good you'd have it if you were in a union like me, but unfortunately for my paycheck and union rights, I'm currently in the south.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Just imagine how good you'd have it if you were in a union like me

*eats Cheetos in front of a computer screen in an air conditioned home office, browsing the web and yosposting 6 hours a day in sweats while making a deece six figgies*

yeah, just imagine

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

i unfortunately have to get a larger house for my gf and i to move in together because we have a 5 cats and a corgi between us. as much as she and I could easily live in an 800 sq ft 2/1 or smaller, 5 cats would not be very happy.

seems like you are knocking on the door of full blown psychosis

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
was thinking that becoming a linesman would be relatively protective against robot replacement plus I do like electromagnetism

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
working outside sucks tho

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you must be able to sing if you want to become a linesman

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

unless you are referring to those happy peeps who run up and down the side of rugby pitches with their little flags

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
a lineman standing by a bucket truck yelled "can't you see we're working here???" at me when I walked by them awhile ago. I should have said something but they were blocking my alley and I was having nicotine withdrawal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

working outside sucks tho

working inside also sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so much more likely to get killed on the job = big payout to fam

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how big?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im sure they send you some kind of gift card to bunnings at the funeral

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

The Top 10 Most Dangerous & Hazardous Jobs in 2019
I'm #6
As far as payouts, not a crazy amount unless you sue and it's negligence, but my union has a death fund so funeral costs are covered.

The bigger problem in construction is exposure to lead asbestos, galvanized and stainless steel fumes, other fumes/chemicals, and where I work radiation, beryllium, lithium etc.

Silicosis is the next asbestos, caused from drilling or causing concrete or rock dusts. Wear a mask around the house and wet/hepa it.

If you can get em on that you may get 70-200k depending but you will also die sooner 10-30 years anticdotally.
Yay US workers rights!

At least the union side I'm educated enough to protect myself, raise hell until they take preventative steps or "drag the gently caress up" aka walk off the job and quit if they're being shady.. You can also try calling OSHA, the head of your union and stand together with your coworkers, this actually works sometimes.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 19, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

The Management posted:

*eats Cheetos in front of a computer screen in an air conditioned home office, browsing the web and yosposting 6 hours a day in sweats while making a deece six figgies*

yeah, just imagine
I can make over 100k too buddy but it sucks rear end to work that hard/much I'll be coming to your side eventually.

Some other threads go into the weirdness of the tech field as far as apparent lack of a need to unionize, and also the likelyhood of most of it getting outsourced to India or automated, but
It seems like that'll take 10-30 years at least.

Can't automate building bridges as easily yet.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

people will pay money for actual physical stuff

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

so much more likely to get killed on the job = big payout to fam

lol it's not that much unless you already earn a lotta money. these are businesses we're tolkien about and remember this is ultimately a lump sum

the real grift is in getting maimed, at least here in freedomland. multiple times is ideal, fingats worth money

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I can make over 100k too buddy but it sucks rear end to work that hard/much I'll be coming to your side eventually.

Some other threads go into the weirdness of the tech field as far as apparent lack of a need to unionize, and also the likelyhood of most of it getting outsourced to India or automated, but
It seems like that'll take 10-30 years at least.

Can't automate building bridges as easily yet.

I haven't read much about tech unionisation, but my take would be that as long as the demand is so high for developers it doesn't feel urgent to (white, healthy, male) ones.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pointsofdata posted:

I haven't read much about tech unionisation, but my take would be that as long as the demand is so high for developers it doesn't feel urgent to (white, healthy, male) ones.

white straight cis male tech workers don't deserve to unionize

perhaps when they fight for anyone who isn't themselves, they might earn it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the more organized people the better in general, imo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
cops do not count

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

lmao

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

carry on then posted:

your gimmick is really tiresome

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Benefits to the workers are nice but the primary social good of unionization is limiting the accumulation of power by capital, though?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"i think it would be good if a tech company could avoid their workers unionizing if they only hired white bros" is one fuckin hell of a take

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
In my opinion, the fewer unions there are, the more progressive it is.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the more progressive what is

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

liebrul propaganda; cop not #1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

are you a white cis het english speaking educated male with hair

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tell me what categories of demographics you fall into so I can judge whether or not you deserve things god dammit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
carry on then’s approach to equality in society :

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

...you ok there echi?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

are you a white cis het english speaking educated male with hair

carry on then is a forums contrarian elemental

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

...you ok there echi?

:justpost: idk why others think before posting but it’s hosed up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

carry on then is a forums contrarian elemental

always two, there are. in the lost times, the stymie and the fishmech, they were.

carry on then is the padawan. but who is the master?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

always two, there are. in the lost times, the stymie and the fishmech, they were.

carry on then is the padawan. but who is the master?

it takes a village to raise an idiot

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i think of my job in terms of "i don't do anything but I know everything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Perplx posted: