Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl Now milord.

STALKER is so good! I have to say I like CoP the most, but I'll also have fond memories of SoC - most prominently taking on the checkpoint in Cordon with my starter handgun, picking off all the soldiers one by one. Then finding the weird briefcase inside, which turned out to be a mid- to late-game quest item. Oops! Apparently I was meant to wait and use rifles for that :v: I wish there was unique dialogue for just dropping that case on the table immediately after getting that quest, haha

Anyway, I've been having a good time with the The Dark Pictures games, this spooky season. Gonna start playing Little Hope either tonight or tomorrow I think, which is the last of the original three for me to play. Gonna have to get the upcoming one too, at some stage. I really should replay STALKER at some point, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are the dark pictures games good. They look stupid as hell but I'm not sure if they're stupid in a fun way or just annoying to play

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

some plague rats posted:

Are the dark pictures games good. They look stupid as hell but I'm not sure if they're stupid in a fun way or just annoying to play

Well, it really depends on how much you like/dislike 'CYOA' kind of games, like Heavy Rain, etc. Since they basically seem to be a more horror-themed, generally nicer version of that, I guess?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

some plague rats posted:

until dawn and the quarry are stupid in a fun way because theyre intentional B-horror movies

the dark pictures ones are pretentious and stupid in a way that makes you upset for giving them your time

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

until dawn and the quarry are stupid in a fun way because theyre intentional B-horror movies

the dark pictures ones are pretentious and stupid in a way that makes you upset for giving them your time

The latter also always go with ahhh it’s not paranormal you were messed up on urgot/gas leak/no mediation as it’s big ending

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

drat. The Quarry was great, maybe I'll play it again instead of bothering with dark pictures

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't think the guy who wrote Little Hope speaks english

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
house of ashes is good but the others are just some of the lovely games that suck rear end

----------------

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
man of medan might be decent if you don’t figure out the entire plot in the first cutscene like I did (super-genius)

----------------

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

house of ashes is good but the others are just some of the lovely games that suck rear end

Yeah, I liked HoA - seemed pretty decent. The "vampire alien" theme seemed to be executed decently, I thought

Bonaventure posted:

man of medan might be decent if you don’t figure out the entire plot in the first cutscene like I did (super-genius)

But yeah, I figured out MoM's big plot point immediately, too. TBH I thought there'd be like, another act after 3/4 of the existing plot occurred. Like, something to do with the four coffins, perhaps? I dunno, just something more than figuring out that the zombies or whatever that you're hallucinating are more than just your friends. Especially since there are some scenes where characters are being mobbed and dragged away by a group, when they were actually alone at the time.
I only just started Little Hope last night, but yeah it seems like it'll be more like MoM rather than HoA, sadly. Sounds like I'll need to try The Quarry at some point once it's discounted, though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MoM feels like it was written explicitly around the multiplayer aspect of it, which makes sense since it was the first game in the series and multiplayer was supposed to be a big selling point, so everything is designed around tricking the players into killing each others characters

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

The latter also always go with ahhh it’s not paranormal you were messed up on urgot/gas leak/no mediation as it’s big ending

Until Dawn sort of does the same thing, about half of the game is dedicated to Josh's fake psycho revenge plot and the spinoff VR game focuses almost entirely on things from that part, which kinda suggests that was the original plot and the Wendigo stuff was added in later.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

STALKER is so good! I have to say I like CoP the most, but I'll also have fond memories of SoC - most prominently taking on the checkpoint in Cordon with my starter handgun, picking off all the soldiers one by one. Then finding the weird briefcase inside, which turned out to be a mid- to late-game quest item. Oops! Apparently I was meant to wait and use rifles for that :v: I wish there was unique dialogue for just dropping that case on the table immediately after getting that quest, haha

Anyway, I've been having a good time with the The Dark Pictures games, this spooky season. Gonna start playing Little Hope either tonight or tomorrow I think, which is the last of the original three for me to play. Gonna have to get the upcoming one too, at some stage. I really should replay STALKER at some point, too

the scariest part of the stalker series is i played 60 hours of clear sky and i don't know why. guess i really loved clearing out the bandit camp over and over because every time i loaded a save everyone in it respawned like 30 times in a row.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

the scariest part of the stalker series is i played 60 hours of clear sky and i don't know why. guess i really loved clearing out the bandit camp over and over because every time i loaded a save everyone in it respawned like 30 times in a row.

Hah! Well hey, any stalker is good stalker in one way or another, right? :D No judgement here!

Also, something may be wrong with me... after getting my fill of the Dark Pictures games I got an email from GMG advising me of a 56% discount (they seem to love their weird percentages) on The Quarry, so... I caved and got it. :saddowns: A couple of you said it was better than TDP, so hopefully it'll at least be House of Ashes tier, but drat it's a lot of 'interactive movie' gaming for me this year haha
I'll aim to smash through it later this week, I think. Seems like instead of having only a week of halloween/spooky games as per my original plan, I might end up having a whole month of 'em

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hah! Well hey, any stalker is good stalker in one way or another, right? :D No judgement here!

Also, something may be wrong with me... after getting my fill of the Dark Pictures games I got an email from GMG advising me of a 56% discount (they seem to love their weird percentages) on The Quarry, so... I caved and got it. :saddowns: A couple of you said it was better than TDP, so hopefully it'll at least be House of Ashes tier, but drat it's a lot of 'interactive movie' gaming for me this year haha
I'll aim to smash through it later this week, I think. Seems like instead of having only a week of halloween/spooky games as per my original plan, I might end up having a whole month of 'em

I think I preferred House of Ashes for its weird Aliens feel but I think The Quarry is probably objectively better, moving around and shooting felt a lot better, the story's cool and there's some really killer performances from some of the actors, and there's lots of little butterfly effect moments where some random innocent thing you did at the beginning can come back to have a big effect hours later. If you liked TDP you'll really enjoy The Quarry I think.

The next Dark Pictures comes out at the end of the week, I'm looking forward to seeing if it continues the "each game is better than the last" trend that's held up so far.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

anyone tried signalis

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dongicus posted:

anyone tried signalis

I downloaded it from Microsoft Xbox Game Pass but haven’t tried it yet.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think I preferred House of Ashes for its weird Aliens feel but I think The Quarry is probably objectively better, moving around and shooting felt a lot better, the story's cool and there's some really killer performances from some of the actors, and there's lots of little butterfly effect moments where some random innocent thing you did at the beginning can come back to have a big effect hours later. If you liked TDP you'll really enjoy The Quarry I think.

The next Dark Pictures comes out at the end of the week, I'm looking forward to seeing if it continues the "each game is better than the last" trend that's held up so far.

Oh nice! Well in that case, perhaps it's a good thing that I'm playing it after TDP - I'll probably appreciate it a bit more, going from their older games to The Quarry. That's cool too, that little things early on can have a big effect later. Kinda reminds me of Life is Strange, in a way? Since for the most part, there weren't that many things that came back to bite you in TDP I feel - mostly just like, whether you find/take a weapon or leave it. Not bad, but it's cool that TQ has more

Also, definitely let us know how you go with the next TDP, if you remember! Hopefully it's even better than House of Ashes, although I suspect I'll probably like that one the best still, since as you said the Aliens feel to it worked great IMO. I tend to prefer that "escalating tension/hopelessness" style over more 'traditional' horror jump scares and the like, personally

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Dongicus posted:

anyone tried signalis

I beat it last night, it's cool because it has numbers station poo poo in it and it mixes metal gear solid with silent hill and resident evil.

But gently caress its annoying running back and forth because you have to juggle your tiny inventory, also there's only two environments so it gets a bit samy.

It's cool though, I beat it and I normally don't beat games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dongicus posted:

anyone tried signalis

I keep getting it and Saturnalia mixed up.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I keep getting it and Saturnalia mixed up.

Oh poo poo that's right I've got to play saturnalia

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

Dongicus posted:

anyone tried signalis

I'm thinking it's really good but I'm considering circling back to an older save since I ended up in a spot with 10 enemies and zero ammo lol

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Oh poo poo that's right I've got to play saturnalia

highly recommend it, surprisingly fun and ill probably replay it next halloween

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah the next Dark Pictures game sounds like it’s experimenting with introducing more gameplay elements to their usual fare, like an inventory system and environmental navigation. It sounds promising, hope it’s a good one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Turd Fixtures: Man Gegen Man.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Turd Fixtures: Man Gegen Man.

Very good, Larry. Have a gold sticker.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Fark Pinterest: The Dribble of Pee

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

----------------

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Saturnalia report: too tense had to stop playing it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This guy at the beginning of The Devil In Me has maybe the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a modern game. It's a prologue set over 100 years before the main game so I'm sure he'll be dead in 20 minutes and it's not a big deal as long as the rest of the acting is better but man that's not what you want out of a movie-game like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeXzH5H8c-k&t=57s

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This guy at the beginning of The Devil In Me has maybe the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a modern game. It's a prologue set over 100 years before the main game so I'm sure he'll be dead in 20 minutes and it's not a big deal as long as the rest of the acting is better but man that's not what you want out of a movie-game like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeXzH5H8c-k&t=57s

I finished this game. It was okay. The new gameplay elements are nice but not really utilized much beyond pushing crates to climb over stuff. I didn’t think the story was very compelling, it’s mostly just run away from scary murder man until credits roll, I didn’t feel like I was unraveling a mystery with the clues you can find beyond incidental flavor stuff.

Then again most of my crew wound up dead so maybe I missed some plot in the later half. And I suppose it could be seen as refreshing to have a more straightforward slasher story without a lame twist halfway through.

I thought the acting was the best it’s been out of these games, the above intro sequence notwithstanding.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thinking about little hopes story and loling all over again at the big reveal that the entire story took place in a mentally ill bus drivers head lol

----------------

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thinking about little hopes story and loling all over again at the big reveal that the entire story took place in a mentally ill bus drivers head lol

I thought it was easily the scariest one in the series too and then that took all the wind out of its sails right at the very end lol.

People complain about the horror in the first game all being hallucinations too but I was fine with that since the hallucinations were caused by a chemical agent on the ship and with the pirates and the main cast attacking each other while hallucinating there was still an actual external threat so it wasn't "just" in the character's heads. But Little Hope was several steps too far in that direction.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

I thought it was easily the scariest one in the series too and then that took all the wind out of its sails right at the very end lol.

People complain about the horror in the first game all being hallucinations too but I was fine with that since the hallucinations were caused by a chemical agent on the ship and with the pirates and the main cast attacking each other while hallucinating there was still an actual external threat so it wasn't "just" in the character's heads. But Little Hope was several steps too far in that direction.

Yeah, same. Little Hope's reveal really just made it seem totally pointless. BTW, what actually happens if you kill everyone off? (And is there a difference if they all die throughout the game vs in the finale?) Does that make Anthony even sadder, or something? haha

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

same i thought it was the best one up until that point lol

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, same. Little Hope's reveal really just made it seem totally pointless. BTW, what actually happens if you kill everyone off? (And is there a difference if they all die throughout the game vs in the finale?) Does that make Anthony even sadder, or something? haha

he kills himself

----------------

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there's something about the way they keep reusing the same character models between games like some kind of Digital Actor thing but then hiring new voice actors to play the different characters that makes it all seem so pointless

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he kills himself

Ah c'mon, that's lame. I suppose that's why the curator was annoyed I didn't take the gun? Since I imagine he would've shot himself with it.
Oh also, has anyone tried failing every QTE? I think it would be pretty funny to see Andrew fail his way to the endgame, totally covered in bruises haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Lmao, Man of Medan turned me off the rest of the anthology series because of its story telling having a similar swerve. I really liked Until Dawn's switch from slasher-killer to way crazier reality. Felt like they were working backwards from an interesting formula.