Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's entering the scare season and we are in the middle of a pandemic (famous horror type event) so what scary games are imps playing.

Playing RE2 remake at the minute and surprised how well done the early going is. Really have to conserve ammo and just try skip enemies or use the knife when you down them. I'd only played 4 and 5 before. 4 is obviously a perfect game but after the initial stuff in the town it's not really scary imo. And 5 just sucks.

Just got to the part where you get the final medallion and heard a licker. Then saw a regular enemy and was like "oh that's all" and put away my shotgun just as I turned and got tackled by the licker lol. Would have died but on my last shred of hp I got a flashing off and during the killing animation it went off. Incredibly fun gamer moment but the HDR prevents clipping on RE2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm not playing anything scary right now but the last scary game I was playing was Fatal Frame 2 and I think it's too intense for me, I could only play it in short bursts.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
I swear one day I will get past the 1 hour mark in Resident Evil 7 VR, but today is not that day.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RE7 is so good. I was super impressed with how well they managed to translate classic RE gameplay into first person. I’m really excited for RE8

RE2 remake was awesome too. I’ve had 3 remake sitting on the shelf for a while, I’ll probably play it during spooky month

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
played re2 for like 2 months this summer, twas great. re3 was kind of a letdown, too linear, not spooky enough, too much action game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

apropos to nothing posted:

played re2 for like 2 months this summer, twas great. re3 was kind of a letdown, too linear, not spooky enough, too much action game.

it sounds like a faithful remake of 3 so

I'm assuming Leon or Claire go back up through the police station because there is a tonne of stuff in there I didn't investigate fully yet. I really like the set up of one area that you methodically get to see more of and learning the best ways to get around.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ruffini posted:

I swear one day I will get past the 1 hour mark in Resident Evil 7 VR, but today is not that day.

First person is so much scarier than third person horror

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
honestly i liked both re2 and 3 remake even if 3 was a little meh, but would really like it if they had like 2 versions of every new re game 1 where its the third person shooter perspective and 1 where its the old fixed angle perspective with tank controls. gamers deserve both types of scary game

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i just started Silent Hill yet again, this time the original disc on a ps1. but i've had to move my CRT elsewhere so I'll only be able to play intermittently. hoping i can get a good horror weekend going in october.

speaking of which, every october i try to play through Silent Hill 1 and/or 2. every year i fail lol. this time i'll throw Fatal Frame 2 in the mix.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i've never played a silent hill game but ive heard 2 is the best, can i start there or should i do 1 first

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

i've never played a silent hill game but ive heard 2 is the best, can i start there or should i do 1 first

Start on 2, 1 kinda sucks and they're all standalone. The OG PS1 game has this fog in it that's really important for the atmosphere but I think the HD remake removed it which sucks? because it's so impactful

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

those HD remakes are a crime against gamerkind

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It's worth playing Silent Hill 1. If you play 2 first it's surprising to see just how small everything in SH1 is in comparison. All the maps are loving tiny compared to anything in 2. It's also a very very short game, you can complete it in just one afternoon doing it blind. SH2 and 3 are the highlights of the series, though.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

one afternoon, huh..................

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

one afternoon, huh..................

Do it in one evening instead :twisted:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

triple a turds like ghosts of tsushima and rdr 2 are the scariest because people buy them and play them

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I'll be playing Luigi's Mansion 3 this Scary Season, op

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
getting hype thinking about playing bloodborne for the billionth time next month

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

a Loving Dog posted:

Might be my favorite Switch game. So much attention to detail and stuff to explore if you're into that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a Loving Dog posted:

It's so good, need to get back to it in Halloween Season too. I have Dark Moon on 3DS too.

This might be the year I actually get past the first encounter with the Alien in Alien:Isolation too

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I might do a replay of Alien Isolation

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the only game i can think of that legitimately scarded me was in thefirst stalker game where you approach the controller in a cave for the first time and there's the weird visual effects and poo poo. and they're still pretty consistently spooky after that. then they immiately ruin the effect in call of pripyat by making controllers common voerworld ene mies and they're just dumpy bald guys in overalls and they clip into the ground while t posing like every other npc friend and foe in cop

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The sound design in Alien Isolation is so good. Playing with headphones is this really tense experience that I could only do for like 30 minutes at a time before I had to shut it off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

1's worth it, it's a really cool game and impressive for how much they pulled off on the PS1. and it makes you appreciate how expanded 2 is in every way.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

last year i played through haunting ground for the first time. cool game with some really nice sound design. i like the different pursuers' music that gets more manic the closer they get to you. i definitely recommend it for anyone that has the means to play it.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

the only game i can think of that legitimately scarded me was in thefirst stalker game where you approach the controller in a cave for the first time and there's the weird visual effects and poo poo. and they're still pretty consistently spooky after that. then they immiately ruin the effect in call of pripyat by making controllers common voerworld ene mies and they're just dumpy bald guys in overalls and they clip into the ground while t posing like every other npc friend and foe in cop

they made up for it with the toilet burer that cries like a baby

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SOMA is great but Im tired of plugging it every year in this style of thread... NEed a new scary game to play. I'm gonna try World of Horror which is free on Xbox Games Pass for PC, which is a price that absoluteley cannot be beat.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Famous TV Dad posted:

last year i played through haunting ground for the first time. cool game with some really nice sound design. i like the different pursuers' music that gets more manic the closer they get to you. i definitely recommend it for anyone that has the means to play it.

I looked this up cause it sounded cool.

ANd then I did a little more research, and it's true. The main character has big tits that bounce around like crazy.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

I looked this up cause it sounded cool.

ANd then I did a little more research, and it's true. The main character has big tits that bounce around like crazy.

hard to argue against a case like that

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

SOMA is great but Im tired of plugging it every year in this style of thread... NEed a new scary game to play. I'm gonna try World of Horror which is free on Xbox Games Pass for PC, which is a price that absoluteley cannot be beat.

I'm going to buy it for full price once it leaves early access.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I played SOMA recently and it was very good.

RE7 is too spooky for me. I've installed/uninstalled it a couple of times. Might buy the RE2 remake when it's on sale.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the only silent hill game i played was the wii one that reimagines the first game, and then i played until dawn, which definitely borrows heavily from that game. it's probably a good thing that i wasn't posting my hosed up nightmares on this board back then.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I played outlast 2 recently and it was fine and tense even though I normally don’t like games where you don’t have attacks like those ones or amnesia. but probably gonna go with luigi’s mansion 3 and maybe re4 for halloween vibes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bicyclops posted:

the only silent hill game i played was the wii one that reimagines the first game, and then i played until dawn, which definitely borrows heavily from that game. it's probably a good thing that i wasn't posting my hosed up nightmares on this board back then.

Shatmemz is unfairly poo poo on but it's rad

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Len posted:

Shatmemz is unfairly poo poo on but it's rad

yeah, I actually really liked it. I'd like people to do that kind of thing more

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, I actually really liked it. I'd like people to do that kind of thing more

i feel like games mostly hates it because voidburger hated it a lot

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Len posted:

i feel like games mostly hates it because voidburger hated it a lot

i dont know who that is, but also the only time someone reviews a game and i care about their opinion is when its posted in the imp zone and they arent bob3

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I like listening to Tim Rogers talk about video games but not really to form an opinion on the game more just because I find it entertaining.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

i dont know who that is, but also the only time someone reviews a game and i care about their opinion is when its posted in the imp zone and they arent bob3

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

trying to jack off posted:

Lp superstar