Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I think I did too. Can't remember. *bowtie spins around making an ear splitting whistling noise that causes me to pass out*

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rebirth is OK but between the endless connecting line puzzles, the expansive lore dumps about evil alien empresses or whatever, mashing X to soothe a baby, and the penalty for death being moving backwards 15 feet and the monster despawning, I lost interest about 2/3 through

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

Check out Five Nights at Freddie's.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Started up Dead Space 2 and I dunno how I feel about Isaac talking but so far the gameplay is just as good

What weapons did you end up using by the end of the first game?

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Rebirth is OK but between the endless connecting line puzzles, the expansive lore dumps about evil alien empresses or whatever, mashing X to soothe a baby, and the penalty for death being moving backwards 15 feet and the monster despawning, I lost interest about 2/3 through

remembering all these things and liking it less than I thought I did before but it's still worth playing

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

pathologic 2 on sale.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
AIDS2

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Reported.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's-a me, AIDS2 Mario

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's-a me, AIDS2 Mario

AIDZ 2 Men

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr57Je1fVvM

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

worms butthole guy posted:

ah yes imp zone the forum with the same five guys posting month old cum town jokes and replying "lol" to each other

----------------

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

"lol"

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

----------------

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I really liked Penumbra: Overture (also from Frictional), which was a precursor to Amnesia. It's rough around the edges but has a lot of standout scary moments (I found the scary enemy encounters to generally be more effective in this game than in Amnesia or SOMA, partially just because of the cool barebones soundtrack choices, but ymmv). Unlike those games, combat is an option, but you fight by grabbing your hammer and swinging your mouse around hoping to hit the enemy, which adds to the feeling of ineffectiveness and fighting for your life.

You play a guy investigating a letter from his supposedly dead father, in the wilderness in Greenland, and most of the gameplay is trying to survive and solve puzzles as you work your way down a mostly-abandoned mine complex. I really like the plot line involving a guy who reaches you on the radio as sort of a guide, too.

It ends on a cliffhanger and I don't really recommend the sequel, but it's a cool one to check out if you liked other Frictional games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arch Nemesis posted:

I really liked Penumbra: Overture (also from Frictional), which was a precursor to Amnesia. It's rough around the edges but has a lot of standout scary moments (I found the scary enemy encounters to generally be more effective in this game than in Amnesia or SOMA, partially just because of the cool barebones soundtrack choices, but ymmv). Unlike those games, combat is an option, but you fight by grabbing your hammer and swinging your mouse around hoping to hit the enemy, which adds to the feeling of ineffectiveness and fighting for your life.

You play a guy investigating a letter from his supposedly dead father, in the wilderness in Greenland, and most of the gameplay is trying to survive and solve puzzles as you work your way down a mostly-abandoned mine complex. I really like the plot line involving a guy who reaches you on the radio as sort of a guide, too.

It ends on a cliffhanger and I don't really recommend the sequel, but it's a cool one to check out if you liked other Frictional games.

Penumbra 1 and to a lesser extent 2 are cool. There’s even a third one but apparently it’s just like puzzles and poo poo without a real story

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the third one sucks. Second one is maybe worth playing but 3 is not imo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Penumbra kicks rear end. Frictional have been moving away from that mechanics-heavy model towards more of an "experience" ever since and it's been a bit disappointing, I find it scarier when e.g. combat is an option but a bad idea, there's a lot of resource management etc.

SOMA was cool but I wish they'd do something more like Penumbra again with their modern budget

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you like aggravatingly bad combat and constantly stressful resource management you should check out pathologic 2.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

If you like aggravatingly bad combat and constantly stressful resource management you should check out pathologic 2.

Way ahead of you. Fantastic game. Probably shouldn't have played it in April 2020

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think Siren is pretty cheap still. I stopped playing it when it first came out, but a couple years ago I gave it another shot and now it's one of my favorite horror games. There's some really frustrating and obtuse stuff in it, but it really nails the dread you get from a Junji Ito manga

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 94 days!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Way ahead of you. Fantastic game. Probably shouldn't have played it in April 2020

lmao thats when i first fired it up, too. got as far as the intro scene where the cops are flamethrowering all the bodies and decided maybe the time wasnt right for this particular title

----------------

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I tried playing Siren again after beating Siren 2 and I forgot just how difficult it is. Siren 2 is a walk in the park in comparison. Siren 1 melee combat is so jank it's impossible to put up a fight if you're caught unless you're character has a gun. Probably by design but it makes the game extremely punishing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

----------------

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
trying amnesia rebirth due to the steam sale and never has a game made me so hungry before. the crinkling sound when you're in the dark reminds me of cooking bacon and eggs and all i want is breakfast

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl Now milord.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Wormskull posted:

im playing it

----------------

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
signalis is out and im gonna try it. hopefully its as sick as it looks

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fucker posted:

signalis is out and im gonna try it. hopefully its as sick as it looks

I like it so far

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
anyone play shadows of rose yet. what's the verdict

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

some plague rats posted:

anyone play shadows of rose yet. what's the verdict

shadows of rose was ok with some cool parts, new mercenaries stuff is really fun.

story spoilers: the weeping angel part genuinely creeped me out, followed by me uttering out loud "cool..." until the segment was over. definitely the highlight of the story mode.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

for the love of god be sure to mod it to fix the guns from wobbling everywhere, add fast travel, and remove the stamina and weight limits. also maybe an ai companion controller that says stalker: remember to use your stalker sense to avoid vampires.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Alaois posted:

I like it so far

its epic

always nice when a new good survival horror game in the style of the classics comes out

thanks for the epic sig el spider

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Fucker posted:

its epic

always nice when a new good survival horror game in the style of the classics comes out

Hadn’t heard of it so thanks this looks good :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/QQBert/status/1585975182032007168