Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

*sigh*

I thought I rebooted this thread to draw a line about odd cars turning up at my place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You bought a basketcase pair of Legacies with the EZ30? :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

GET

OUT

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry, I stand corrected. 3 junkyard Outbacks with three EZ30s between them, one of them has a random EJ251 shortblock in the back seat and questionable wiring everywhere.

With a Citroen 2CV and a Mercedes AMG parked nearby. All of them dripping critical fluids.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

OUT OUT BAD STR

.....right where waa I?

Oh yeah. Oh God Why do I even What Am I Doing?!?!?!?!?

(Its not Subaru)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

EZ30 swapped ls400?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

EZ30 swapped ls400?

MODS? MODS??? I'M BEING TROLLED.... oh wait poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What ya gonna do about it? :dukedog:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Is that a 323 GTX?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well now.

McTinkerson posted:

Is that a 323 GTX?

Corolla.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 20, 2020

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So it's an AE92 in CSi trim.. which in Australia at least meant 4A-FE, factory aircon (did I mention Australia yes this was an option into the 1990s even in a car with twin overhead cams on the lower tier models) and I think it even had central locking and electric windows.

So I'm guessing either someone dropped a 4A-G in this one, or he's going to be spending the next 3 pages talking about fuel economy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nah, he's going to be bitching for 5 pages about a laughably failed EZ30 swap.

Also we never got those in the US (that I know of). What *is* it? Corolla?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 20, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well now.

Corolla.

I knew that CSi lettering on the rear glass was wrong for a Mazda. Thank you.

So it's in for an engine swap? http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/06/2jz-rwd-ae92-toyota-corolla-gti/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

STR posted:

OUT

McTinkerson posted:

So it's in for an engine swap?

Yes. Nothing over the top, most likely the 4A-GE that came out of the AWD BRZ.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You know if he leaves someone else will just show up and ask about your EZ30s

More like not-so-EZ30s

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes. Nothing over the top, most likely the 4A-GE that came out of the AWD BRZ.
A 4AGE in a BRZ?

I had the previous model Corolla (AE82) with the 4AGE in it and it was such a fun little car. Too bad rust and age wasn't its friend.

I still have the official A series Toyota workshop manual, but I think it only covers the earlier blue top motor.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I test drove a couple of Twinkies (AE82 twin cam) and can confirm they were fun as gently caress.

Americans did get these in 4AG trim at least, they were badged as a Corolla GT iirc. There was also the 2 door FX-GT which were ugly as gently caress.

A few mates had the SX version over the years and they were more fun than they had any right to be, but the noises they made were the major selling point for me. I wanted one for years, but then initial D started becoming popular here and so by the time I could afford one, there were much more interesting cars available for the price.

Like the 1986 turbo starlet I had <3

Still, this should hopefully be a fairly straightforward swap. I'm not even sure that Toyota used a stronger box in the factory 4A-G cars, they weren't exactly a torque monster.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

Also we never got those in the US (that I know of). What *is* it? Corolla?

The hatch version of this

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So veering back to Subarus for a moment.....

Not pictured - 22mm non adjustible sway bar. I'm not 100% sure the brand as they have come off wrecks I've salvaged but I was intending to use the two point adjustible.

With upgraded rear sway bar mounts. Unfortunatly it didnt quite fit so stuck with the 22mm rear bar only. Was also intending to put in front sway bar link replacements but what's on the Forester already is the same as a WRX so I'll toss up wether to go alloy arms or alloy links (I have front links for alloy arms.

Trip report - As per my belief in suspension rebuilding, sway bars last. And of course it worked as intended, there's no secret sauce here - The Forester is a highly competent handling car now and one that reacts better than a stock WRX now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well it's kinda funny that as of now the Forester has a handling issue - and it's the motor. That wheezy underpowered 400,000km engine is just simply not happy as giving the car a hoon around some deserted backroads, the motor is always just revving as hard as it can with only short respite due to the fact you just dont need to lift. It also doesnt really allow for throttle play as it just does not have the power to make the suspension work with weight shift. Also with the much more powerful brakes, the engine doesn't even have any real respite in braking zones. - they are shorter and I just don't need to slow as much. So thence the engine itself has become a limiter to the car's cornering speed.

What next? More suspension mods of course. May as well make the suspension even more silly and over the top.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Veerign away from Subaru content...

One formerly in the AWD BRZ 4A-GE.

A slight office air con problem kind of solved.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 29, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So as some know I have a knack of obtaining cars with interesting builds or history -The MY06 WRX being the one that has always caused the most puzzlement as it's VIN is quite def. not a straight WRX. The car that has had the most unremarkable boring life is the Levorg by some measure.

The focus of this thread turns out has had a *very* active life.

It seems to have been stolen and used in a ram raid in 2001. After recovery it seems to have gone on to have it's next life being used in club level motorsport before in June 2010 it slammed a wall at Phillip Island. It gained heavy damage on the drivers side and was added to the the Victorian repairable written off car register on 29 June 2010 and auctioned off. The *next* part is important - it disappeared from Victoria and reappeared 5 months later in New South Wales and *inspected* and then registered.

Why important? You can not re-register a written off vehicle in NSW after 21 Jan 2011. The car came back on the road before that cutoff and was inspected and approved to be registered again - which means I am able legally to make it a conditional/full registration vehicle without issue. So while at some point it was sold again and ended up in a field as a failed project car, that doesnt stop me from making it road legal. That allgives me the good problem of.... what exactly do I want to do with that red wagon? I'm not sure myself but I have lots of potions to contemplate.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Cursed Outback .....

It's still here and still trying to overheat. So in a fit of WTF, decided to bypass the heater core.

Almost as I suspected, it just worked and ran fine. So heater core issue all along? Well to be sure I decided to reconnect the heater hoses..... then had a thought. What if despite all the documentation, forum posts and workshop manuals, what if the core was somehow reverse flow? So I ran the heater hoses the wrong way round.

And after driving 100kms a lot of it uphill in the mountains and backroads lo and behold the Cursed Outback ran perfectly. That was also the first real heatsoaking so of course there's smoke coming of the exhaust and all the oil and diesel in the mufflers was burning off buuuuut...... it's finally working like it should.

How the gently caress does a heater core get installed the wrong way round.....? I didnt think that was possible? I have no words for that drat car

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Any clue if the heater core has been replaced before? Is it possible it wound up with a LHD core? Or maybe the core is a bit on the clogged side, and you just flushed all the buildup out of it when you reversed the hoses, restoring close to full flow?

Is the heater core a separate loop from the rest of the cooling system, or relied upon as part of the main cooling system loop? If the latter, I'm betting it was a bit clogged. Beyond that :iiam:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm really not sure. I know the Outback heater core is a relatively uncommon design and not easy to get accurate info on

As long as it works, I'll leave the nystery alone

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Look familiar?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That looks like the final model of Mazda 323 Protege/Ford Laser from the shape of the rear hatch area.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

That looks like the final model of Mazda 323 Protege/Ford Laser from the shape of the rear hatch area.

323. TBH I'm not sure how it got there as it's in a location not easily accessible (or even known outside of locals) and there's no sign it burnt there.

Annnyway......

Notice whats *not* there? ANYTHING WITH A loving EZ30 IN IT - the Cursed Outback is gone and made it back to it's proper residence 200kms away. Thank gently caress THAT 2020 hell is over.

Also the yellow WRX moved under it's own power once again. Nearly time to get to work on it but there's a WReckX to make mobile first.

Edit : Whats getting funny is that the WReckX is the car that really kicked off the madness of the last 4 years and it is the only one not running. There's been 6 cars rebuilt around it, several engines, three cars scrapped..... and it has even had two motor swaps, three drivelines, two sets of brakes rotated on and off, a complete rewire twice and it's back to being on jackstands because I decided to pull the tank and change the suspension.

Edit2 : *looks at Corolla's turbo kit, Autronic, hot cams and realises LOL here we go again, my automotive OOO SQUIRREL is about to happen again and the WReckX is going to be pushed to one side again*

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 29, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

*stares at the horrific wiring problem*

poo poo. Oh well I know how I'm gonna bring in the new year. Elbow deep in a wiring harness someone royally *hosed* in a botched Link ECU install.

Well it's better than getting drunk at a boring party.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Struts / brakes back on

Clean (internally) fuel tank and angel arm installed

Annnnnnnnnnd yikes the harness

PO hosed that one. Annnnnnnd

Got part of it actually sorted this evening as well as

Engine bay harness is back in as well!

Productive evening. Have a good 2021 if at all possible!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

For the lack of visual progress, the wiring is a drat sight better. Also installed the quick shifter so the car now has a working gearbox once again.

Small things make for big jobs crossed off.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
you put tape on the harness, God i wish you the best of luck

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Munkeylord posted:

you put tape on the harness, God i wish you the best of luck

???? Thats actually how it comes from the factory on Subarus (mostly, apart of PO fuckery)

The real big mess was just simply cut out

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i watched the new RCR today and thought of your wagon. what a wagon

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

i watched the new RCR today and thought of your wagon. what a wagon

Well! Did not expect RCR to be topical for this thread all. Lets see what he got right and what he got wrong -

213 or 236 or 256 hp are all correct because there were various trim levels that all fell under the "WRX" banner. 213 or 158 Kw is what what we'll call here the phase 1 WRX came out with to start in Australia. 175Kw or 236hp is JDM or UK. 190Kw is JDM.

The GF did indeed weigh in from 1178 to 1224 kgs depending on the trim level but I think he's mistaken here as the weights quoted are the variance between the WRX RS and the stock model (or number of doors, that makes a difference)

The roof has two extra bars in it without a sunroof so yes, it's stronger. However I wouldnt call them rigid as there's reasons why they were so light - the GDA is upp nearly 200 kgs because the body has considerably more metal like triple skins around the firewall and beefier intrusion bars and B-Pillar.

Mechanical throttle IS aggressive especially compared to todays "torque request" throttle programming

Air bags are indeed not an option until the MY98 model which actually begins the phase 2 GC/GF

Also yes that turbo cooling ducting is actually original, holy poo poo I havent seen that preserved in many cars at all

Yes the cup holders are a joke

The air controls are in fact NOT electric. There is a series of cables behind it all - it's just wonderfully made and smooth

He nailed the blcokoff panels and even said (correctly) the car is a homologation for Group A. The GC AND GF were both homologation variants from Group N and Group A with a massive slew of Subaru OEM options you could get in Japan as a result. Note that STI is NOT a standalone model - it's a WRX in the STI trim level.However the really hot GC/GF's are all the WRX RS - the lightweight version with 4.444 final drive, lightweight glass and roof scoop.

The foglights are actually useless :)

The 1995 is the EJ20G, correct!

The turbo in the Phase 1 WRX's is actually pretty big for the motor - it's a TD05 so it does tend to boostu up high and it does feel like VTEC in how quick it hits. MY97 went to a smaller TD04 which suited the stock motor better and gives you better power delivery at the expense of not as much fun up top.

Three in general final drive ratios - 3.9, 4.1 and 4.444. 3.9 final drive is ...not attached to good gearboxes. Those things really do break. You want 4.1 or better yet the RS's 4.444. Think that car might have the 4.444

Fuel cut? 7500 in AUDM cars.

Is it a stock car apart from the exhaust / stereo and suspension? Oh gently caress yes! It even has the two pot sliding front calipers and the solid disc rears. Even the gear knob is a factory option.

WRX had a HELL of a reputation before it made the USA. They were known as the car that could outrun any cop and 9 out 10 ram raiders used them. Actual Subaru ad picked that up. Like... in street car culture here it's pre WRX with big lumbering V8's and then here comes this small light little pocket rocket that ate the V8's and the so called fast Euro's alive. It gave no fucks about reputations and kicked down doors about Japanese performace. You wanna joke about only juice comes in 2 liters? Well gently caress you only poo poo wine comes in 5 you knuckle dragger! And byt htis time Colin McRae was on the verge of winning his WRC championship in a WRX

He absolutly nailed how they drive and feel. These cars are a genuine pleasure and yes the Classic is truly cool as gently caress. Us older GF owners will still yes be the first to say they are rubbish but they are glorious rubbish that make you feel like a driving hero. They are agile, they feel and move like nothing made in the last ten years, they give you an expereince you do not forget.

Fast and Furious? Yeah exactly gently caress off with that, these are barely restrained rally cars and they absoluty are going to spank the living poo poo out of anything when the roads get twisty and especially when the roads arent perfectly smooth and perfectly dry. And gravel? I AM A RALLY GOD BOW BEFORE ME - a GF will chew up a modern WRX and spit out the remains.

And that's why, despite the WReckX being a huge pile of poo poo, I'm doing the work. Because when they run, they are just that good.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I still say they should have stuck with the TD05.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

I still say they should have stuck with the TD05.

Laggy as hell, TD04 is a much better road and light track turbo. Anything more go to a IHI of some sort.

Oh wait I havent shown the turbo propsed for this car have I?

Progress!

ECU side of the loom now looking far less horrible, blower, heater and air con back in, dash bar in.

The big issue under dash is the Immobiliser / alarm wiring. I think I need to get brave and remove it all.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Those are weird lookin turbos buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You... never heard of Cat Boostu(tm)????

Well lemme explain whats going on here!

Now Maddie and Ed here are what you call a Compound Cat setup. To begin with you need a bonded cat pair else the boost pressure rises too much and you get bits cat being blown out the litter box. So once you find a set of cats thats compatible, you can create a compound setup where one cat compliments each other. In this case you got a small light cat thats very fast to come up to speed, so thats perfect for low rpm functions. Given there is low mass there's also not much gravity can do against it and can get into rev ranges and closest is normally too high for a regular. The other cat is still small but she is heavier and comes on speed later with encouragement from the smaller faster cat. This setup is relativity good on fuel and also good for install on smaller laps, laptop keyboards or home routers.

Jack on the other hand is a Big Single Cat setup. Doesnt respond well initially but after huge exhausts is capable of massive power and house wreckage. Not very fuel efficent and messy near the dinner bowls as well as having EPA issues. More of a torque monster that also has high power to weight even for his mass that while not anywhere near as negligent about gravitional effect has the kind of torque that can climb the gently caress out of trees, people, chairs, towers and skyrises. Not good for small install areas, needs space so beds, lounges and large laps is his preferred install areas. Also not good in hot situations. Interestingly also goes well with small kittens and has much talent in teaching the way of Cat Boostu as well as House Carnage