Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.bodykitonlinestore.pro/...KCUyD4LYuSaJcJM

Just so I remember to throw this into consideration for a widebody kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm a big fan of the rear part of those style, but hate how it leaves the front of the tire exposed. That's me though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah I've always disliked that style. Is it pinched from Pandem/Rocket Bunny stuff? Just go round the wheels, you're most of the way there already.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure what it's based on - it's more to give me ideas what I want to do. What I really want I think in the end is a box flare. I'm also tossing up what should I repaint it like - 555 or WRC Blue is ruled out as too many Subarus are like that already. Gulf or JPS catches my attention....

Anyway

TWO WEEKS growth. Should have been done last weekend except the two stroke big boy mower snapped the starter pull cable. The backup four stroke is having air starve issues. So 100 buck and here is the backup backup mower while I repair the two stroke (Which TBH while it's right for the size of my yard it is big and heavy and huge workout esp with the back yard slope - and noisy. But cant beat it's torque when it at full cry).

Instant review - takes longer to mow due to small size but more able to cut through the wilder areas that the four stroke chokes on. Also would suit a Canadian to mow the front yard.

RX-7 ALERT!!!

Getting ready for historic rego! Should suit a Canadian passenger

Intermission while wild weather hits. Full blooded tropical storm - rain and no letup in the heat. Canadians may not enjoy this heat and absolutly hosed in the head humidity

And NOW I have a decent shot at the final wiring fixes and cleanup. Immobilizer gone. Need to step this up as I need to get a Canadian's car into the garage before she turns up.

And in other news the wife has her visa to live in Australia now and I got an epic amount of work to get things ready and also help her move hopefully sometime late this year.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 26, 2021

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Switch your image URLs to HTTPs, they're not showing up :p

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What I really want I think in the end is a box flare.

Box flare everything IMO. I think my 3G Civic is going to go that direction eventually.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

Switch your image URLs to HTTPs, they're not showing up :p

Lets Encrypt looks like it broke on the 19th Jan. *sigh* What the gently caress was the console pass again?

And honestly, what the gently caress browser makers? It's loving pictures. There absolutely no requirement for secure channel at all.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And in other news the wife has her visa to live in Australia now and I got an epic amount of work to get things ready and also help her move hopefully sometime late this year.

This is amazing news! Congratulations!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

AWD BRZ - Well that didnt go as planned

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That seems......... sub-optimal. Any idea what happened?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That seems......... sub-optimal. Any idea what happened?

Kinda goes like this....

The motor has always had "lifter" noise. I just figured I shouldnt have just slapped the heads on without checking the clearances besides yeah, its not huge. I also need to fit a brass button clutch anyway.

I had just got the car running with Drive by wire on te new ECU and was doing throttle testing as the car warmed up. Running at 3000 RPM. Did facebook video and 10 seconds later..

Screech rrrrrr stop.

Hmm... did i just drop a timing belt or fan belt? NOPE!. Restart car.... Clatterclatterclatterclatter. Spounds like big end! Pull off intake in case it was the belt (easy to see spagetti...) and THERE IS YA PROBLEM! It appears the parts motor already had a valve issue ( it had a spun bearing on no 1, this was no4 cylinder). Whataya do.....

You remove the motor in an hour!

It managed to put trash into the OTHER cylinder on that side but fortunately the bore is fine. Ive located another donor motor for the heads and should collect it today. Ill also raid a Piston. Stay tuned, I aint heard no fat lady....

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Godspeed sir, hopefully this next iteration is the one and you can beat the poo poo out of it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ay ay ay.

Bad : The most reliable car of the fleet, the 1st Gen Forester had a radiator failure. *shrug* 20 years, it happens.

Also Bad : Motor doesnt seem happy.

Dubious : Rego due in three days. That throws a spanner in the works

Kinda good : Well I've been hoarding Subaru spares?

Also good : I got like.... two engine candidates I could do a turbo swap with?

Very good : Known running EJ20 or a working EJ25 (both turbo)

Pro - EJ20 is a drop in and the wiring I have, completely legal to do

Con - not quite as much torque, makes it a bit more frenetic

Pro - EJ25 has torque, suits a VF29 I have sitting around better....

Con - Wiring wont be straightforward. EJ25.

Gonna need to think about this

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I did a non-turbo EJ203 swap into an EJ253-equipped Saabaru. You definitely notice the loss of acceleration and have to downshift for hills that you used to cruise up before.

However, it's a remarkably smoother-feeling engine than the 2.5. It reminds me a lot of my old phase 1 EJ22.

If you do a turbo EJ205, put an EJ255/257 oil pan on it, better baffling in corners. "Frenetic" is not usually an adjective I would pair with the Forester steering, but you do you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Forester does not have a Forester's stock steering in it. And nor suspension. Or brakes. Or sway bars. It might be slow to get up to speed but it's def more frenetic than stock when there's corners.

And to be clear, the engine swap potentials are all AUDM turbo from the factory and are not NA. I will not be putting a NA motor back in just to turbo it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dubious : Rego due in three days. That throws a spanner in the works

I might be wrong about this - I was spectacularly wrong about how rego works in July - but I thought you had a grace period of a few weeks or months. As long as you don't drive the expired-rego car, you won't get charged extra and there's no need for an additional inspection if you hold off on rego / green slip until you've sorted the engine issues.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Have to get the car inspected with it in working order so it's up in the air if it will even make it to an inspection station - I was intending to get it done this week. Ooops, so much for leaving it till the last minute. If I had it done last week I'd have it paid and have no rego concerns.

At least it got back home. Confirmed radiator pinhole. Just have to confirm if the head gaskets are also troublesome.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

TBH I have been stalling on the WReckX because.... well a simple job that I had done before and *really* didnt want to do again. Basically I didnt want to remove the rear loom because PITA.

There. Correct loom in.

And the brake / clutch / throttle pedals are back in.

Starting to get frustrated with the lack of progress so time to get on with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

As I saw one new post on the thread I was thinking 'there needs to be more cats' and there we go. Thank you for not letting me down.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

And if you followed the older thread last year you'ld know it's *THAT* motor...

But first....catte does not allow passing without pattes!

(Yes, the cats destroyed the chair. Eh.)

I've gotten so good at disassembling the front of a H6 that it only took 45 minutes. And another five minutes to drill out two stripped hex bolts.

And then another 30 minutes bashing the poo poo of the spocket as it was soo firmly set on and I didnt have a gear puller.

And then another ten to get one of the heads off.

[timg]https://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/i.php?/upload/2021/03/14/20210314005723-151cdfdc-xx.jpg/timg]

At which pointI realised that the idea of sealing the gasket with copper spray just didnt work and was the cause of no compression all along - esp with one of the head bolts being several NM too loose almost certainly because the copper spray had removed itself.

Lesson learned, dont trust "sources" about wether copper HG sealant works on Subaru motors - it doesnt.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
laffo, glad I sold the ez30 I rebuilt (copper sprayed, for sho) to a dude for $300 :shepicide:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

AWD BRZ update -

https://scontent.fsyd7-1.fna.fbcdn....7c8&oe=608D92C4

Made it to the dyno. Ran on the dyno for a good hour+ which is more time actually running than it has up to now. Drives far better with some sort of a tune.

A fair few issue found, given this is the first time any real speed has been sent to the wheels. Misbalances in the driveline (mostly due to never have spent any time other than idling and the odd move out of the garage and back in again), No 1 had a baaaad misfire (Coil pack was being investigated when I left) and desperatly in need of a wheel alignment

Mostly tho the fact a basically untested car was driving and surviving the dyno session is victory for KaptainBallistik especially with how much experimental and untested things there are in the car

Edit : Final diag is that the iridium plugs foulled and he's not sure about the strength of the spark. Given the coilpacks are off whatever was about it's probably daggy ones. Mostly tho the car runs, drives and survived a couple of hours dyno time.

Also TIL LS1and GTR R35 coil packs that get vaunted as hot poo poo for a coil pack swap are in fact defeated by a Toyota Yaris coilpack. No not the hot GR Yaris, the bog ordinary shitbox Yaris. I LOLed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 3, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We just grab coils off the 5.3 truck motors here. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I thought it was common knowledge for years now that the Yaris coil packs were Hot poo poo<tm>?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Always two steps back and one forward with the WReckX but.....

No AWD BRZ in the garage anymore so it's been a couple of weeks cleaning up and getting myself motivated

So with no plans to put the air con back in, the condenser is coming out to get it's core gutted.

And to be honest it has taken me three weeks to clean and reorder the garage after three years of BRZ mayhem so..... whew. Time ot get on with it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 17, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Crap so the php of the gallery software broke, but not the images.

Fiiiiiiiiiine I'll go fiiiiiix

quote:

Time ot get on with it.

....... MotherFUCK talk about jinxing myself broke the collarbone the next day and everything has ground to a shuddering halt

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 13, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So you might not be asking, whats happening with KaptainBallistik's AWD BRZ?

Well......

It moved out of my garage about 6 weeks ago, made it to the dyno where it failed to make meaningful power BUT it drove for a few hours as documented in an above post but afterwards it moved into it's new *actual workshop* (What an upgrade, turned into a AWD in a horse paddock, got running in a 100 year old fibro garage, now in it's own dedicated workshop to become rally ready) annnd...

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/photos/a.10155832847868723/10158389397658723/

KB is prick teasing the rear suspension now it's getting it's rally armour

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10157545550976324&set=a.10150255242361324

More KB slow reveal. Yes that really is struts on the rear of a BRZ

Also he kept the multilink rear end. It gets sillier th emore it gets revealed

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Is that third cat in your last lot of photos a British Blue?

If so, my mum has one. He's well into his elderly years and I have given him the nickname of "The Ghost" since he follows mum nearly everywhere, even on walks that mum does for a short distance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Russian Blue. Se's a very lazy very much into her comfort cutie

So.... okay now it's time for some content so I'll let the following pics tell what's coming

And now....... dont ask because I dont know WTF either apparently rescued from a car hoarder and there's four others too

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Step 1 : Try and start a two stroke mower after three months sitting about

Step 2 : Take 10 mins to let formerly broken shoulder stop aching.

Step 3 : Realise the mower wont start without some more time and restrengthening of the shoulder and a overhaul

Step 4 : Go to Bunnings and

Step 5 : Wince at the money I didn't want to spend but drat it's effective

Given it's a 4.0Ah battery, the charge isn't good enough for the full backyard but it'll take bigger batteries so that's a fixable issue. The other downside is the catcher is a bit too small but eh. Also noticeable it's torque beats the two stroke hands down for the mess that is the backyard and sweeps wider too.

Pity I cant plug in a battery into the shoulder/cardio and make that work better. That's just a lot of hard work to regain it :/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My mum brought a Victa electric mower for one of her friends and it has some monster house brick sized battery pushing out 82V

https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/products/battery-powered/82v-range.html

I'm tempted to replace my Honda mower with one of those

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I bit the bullet and got a 56V Ego mower this year.

I'll never buy a gas mower again, and that's not just because I expect this mower to last approximately forever. The mower with battery and charger is at price and feature parity with a Honda-powered self propelled gas mower. But I'll never need to refill it, hope the gas is still good, check the oil, or do anything other than top the battery off every other week.

It still has enough power to do a scalp cut if I crank the height all the way down, but that does actually result in burning through a full charge on the battery. At a normal maintenance cut height, I can mow my yard and still have the charger decide the battery is too full to top off.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Great call with your shoulder on the mend too.
Welcome to the future where tools just work. I too will never run another gas mower/lawn appliance. Its all too easy to plunk the battery in and go chorin'. I ran a ryobi mower for 2 years, it became delicious parts when the second battery died. I replaced it with an EGO and its been great.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

And so it begins

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
As an IT pro, I appreciate the thread title. There have been days of my life where problems were solved with scotch and sleep.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

the spyder posted:

As an IT pro, I appreciate the thread title. There have been days of my life where problems were solved with scotch and sleep.

The title came because of a bizarre IT issue - gave up trying to understand how something began to work because there was no rational explainaton. Still works, I still dont know how.

Engine has heaps of compression, plugs are about what I expect for a low maintenance Subaru, Clutch and flywheel are perfectly reusable

The timing belt aint. That's hosed.

Needs a rear main seal as well and a inlet to crankcase pipe is split. Add plug wires and some boost solenoid hoses this looks perfectly viable.

(Just in case it's not clear, the Forester is about to get one huge bit of a power boost esp with a VF29. It's the exact motor that's being decided on, there's a EJ255 that's looking likely too)

So over to the stalled WReckX ..... and here's why it's stalled

The P.O.'s wiring is a godawful loving mess and I dont know what I should be doing here. I dont like any option and a replacement harness aint obtainable.

I'm just not good with this poo poo and I can only think I have two options -

A) Wing it and just try to start it
b) Strip all the poo poo out and bring it back to stock as best I can, repair the rest THEN rewire the Link in *properly*

Making it run would be a signifigant mental boost that I think I need to get this thing back on the ground and make it drive

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

How have I never bought or used one of these things before? Fixed a downstairs door in a minute rather than the hour+ of a rasp file. Hell yes, this is a required power tool!

Workshop cleaned up and reorganised. Brain space much better

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question that's more dreaming at this point than anything else. I saw that you put springs and new struts in the stock configuration on one of your rally cars at least and a Forester, do you have a preference as far as suspension for a GC/GF Impreza? I've got plenty of work to do on my SVX still and no more money to do it for a while but eventually I'd love to put a performance suspension on my OBS, maybe even a bit more travel than stock just because of the poo poo roads we have here. Like there's a road near here where there's not so much potholes as 5 foot long sections where the asphalt is gone. I just have no idea what the options are for that kind of thing, seems like most people changing the suspension on an Impreza just stick lowering springs on it or Teins and call it a day.

I've also got about 1-2" of sag on the rear suspension at this point so I need new springs and top perch anyway, even with an empty cargo compartment it looks like it's got 1000 pounds of poo poo in there. I had to replace my front springs about 70k miles and 6.5 years ago so it's tilted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ATM I'm using King spring that have a mild lift for the Forester - which actually means it's in effect lowered - for GC and more or less older STI struts that are inverted off a 06 WRX. Not sure if the USA has those. KYB is more or less the goto for decent struts otherwise. The midly lifted King springs would appear to be decent for a mild lift on a Impreza and keep/enhance performance. Also alignment corrections will have to be made.

GD (non 05 and on STI) suspension is a direct bolt in on the front of a GC, the rear has a top hat and spring difference