Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Heater decided to do a burnout. Well got a lot of good use out of it....

Soone reason I havent worked on the WreckX for a long while is one of the front control arms didnt really go in well. Annnnnd...... welp thats a problem

That def didnt go well.

So thence now the headspace is better, changed out the alloy arms for steel variants for now.

Rear only needs the ABS cables routed and botled

Not looking for restored. Looking for "Bolted together" so its all ugly but one piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JFC talk about letting a thread slide....

Photodump of random poo poo first

And now to today..... which was getting cars that hadnt run in a while started up again

[img]https://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/i.php?/upload/2022/01/30/20220130001209-7370519a-xx.jpg[img]

Leaving to go get fuel injection and some tidy up at Kaptain Ballistik's workshop. With actual hoists and all that poo poo

Not leaving, being moved to finally get some attention and readied for the full restore.

Oh umm.... yeah there's a Forester thats..... not exactly stock motored anymore that needs an update. Soon.

Warmed up WRX motor with a JDM STI driveline

And an update on the WReckX...

Driveline, exhaust, fuel tank all done up and on the ground and then untouched for the last three months while I had other things to think about

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 30, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Now that it has turned wheels in anger in public I can answer questions how on earth Kaptain Ballistik got this unholy abdomation of WRX and BRZ working

a) It runs REAR GC8 struts on the front with a custom front hub to give it crazy WRC style castor

b) It has a strut rear end WITH the BRZ multilink. The rear hubs are front hubs off a GC8.

"GC8" tends to be the answer a lot here and a fair bit came off my spares pile.

c) It's built for the R4 specification of rallying.

d) Its a godawful load more insane under the skin

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/542439486806840

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Bookmarked. When I get my GF8 back from Melbourne I sincerely hope it is less hosed than yours was at the start of the thread.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hey remember way back when I used to post a line as a signal for an old thread to F5 ready to laugh at my expense?

OH God why do I even What am I doing??

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh look I found something rarer than rocking horse poo poo. An unmolested GC8 wiring harness.

Now to put it into a car......

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

WRX had a HELL of a reputation before it made the USA. They were known as the car that could outrun any cop and 9 out 10 ram raiders used them. Actual Subaru ad picked that up. Like... in street car culture here it's pre WRX with big lumbering V8's and then here comes this small light little pocket rocket that ate the V8's and the so called fast Euro's alive. It gave no fucks about reputations and kicked down doors about Japanese performace. You wanna joke about only juice comes in 2 liters? Well gently caress you only poo poo wine comes in 5 you knuckle dragger! And byt htis time Colin McRae was on the verge of winning his WRC championship in a WRX

It disappoints me people ask which WRX I own and I say "the ram raid one", they don't know what I mean. They don't even remember ram raids! Ram raids apparently only existed in an extremely specific part of Subaru Impreza history. I think that is worth pointing out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

lilbeefer posted:

It disappoints me people ask which WRX I own and I say "the ram raid one", they don't know what I mean. They don't even remember ram raids! Ram raids apparently only existed in an extremely specific part of Subaru Impreza history. I think that is worth pointing out.

I think the red wagon I have was written off as a stolen / recovered before 2000. Almost certainly used as a ram raider car.

The second write off happened somewhere close to Phillip Island.

Oh hey one year from when this loving project stalled so badly there's a JDM STI 4.444 5 speed finally in the Forester!

It got rolled out of the garage!

And now comes the required taking apart for the wiring loom. How do I take the bumper and guards off again....?

I know how, it's just been a while

Oh and CATS

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Got some order in the chaos

So with actual garage floor once again I went and piled in more parts

Because I actually was motivated and pulled all this apart

And if you dont care about turbocharging a slow shitbox with a warmed over WRX motor here's some cats

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Annnnd this mess is what happens if the tagged as degassed air con is in fact at full pressure.

Crash bar removed and heater / blower removed.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The car squarted everywhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

One harness out

The WRX/Forester GT harness roughed in

One very surprising issue that I'll photo tomorrow to do with the fact the ECU in a NA Forester is in the engine bay but in a turbo it's on the passenger footwell.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

AWD BRZ dyno results with 34mm resrictor
201Kw ATW @ 19psi
400NMATW
325kgs less than the WRC Tank, 5 more Kw at 10psi less boost
WRC tank has more torque
This is a veeeeeeeeeeeeery soft tune too. Probably can get another 30more Kw and 60-70 more Nm without a lot of effort. Boost wont go up for now as the motor is not forged internals.

That huge weight difference tho. 1300kgs in full rally trim with a full tank of fuel. Also unlike the WRC Tank, the AWD BRZ has ballast to meet the minimum weight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 4, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

1300kg is not badddddddd and 201Kw is what, just shy of 270hp? Noice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

One highly unsuspecting boxy toaster has now got a dramatically more powerful motor.

*Finally*

Now to get this thing to the point it can be fired up

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

How much is it plug and play vs I'm referencing 2 manuals and 7 forums posts with dead tiny pic links is the swap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

How much is it plug and play vs I'm referencing 2 manuals and 7 forums posts with dead tiny pic links is the swap?

One of my big problems is whats missing between the source and the donor. The forester has a hill holder and cruise control, it's missing the mount point for the ECU in the cabin, also has no ABS. Also the clutch type changed from a push style to to pull style. The front cross member had no allowance for a turbo uppipe and that also means the uni joint is wrong. So it's not a hard conversion as per say it's more now how do I integrate the missing bits together and do I want to for instance put in a ABS system? I'd like to retain cruise control and hill holder but thats not going to happen for the moment, I just want to get it running and then I'll return to the problem later. I've yet to change the fuel pump

Also I'd like to verify that it's really got the full 320ish hp that the donor had before going too much further.

A lot of the car will have to come apart down the road anyway because I have a 400hp motor (forged internals) and a bigger turbo sitting to one side - which might beg the question why not now? Because I want to get the swap right first before throwing in the additional complications of big hp like having to beef up the driveline.

Also yes I have no idea how to make the hill holder and cruise control actually work because anyone that tried this swap did it a decade ago and the images / video are looooong gone.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
This is the same Forester you've had the whole time yeah? Maybe I'm spoiled by decades of JDM spec cars here but still seems weird such a "modern" car doesn't have it. Some weird Aussie povo-pack but with cruise etc?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

This is the same Forester you've had the whole time yeah? Maybe I'm spoiled by decades of JDM spec cars here but still seems weird such a "modern" car doesn't have it. Some weird Aussie povo-pack but with cruise etc?

Dad bought it new in 2000, I've had it since 2012. It's a Forester Limited which has a few "luxury" items like cruise control and a (GASP!) CD player. ABS was not an option on the lesser Foresters which conversly made them better off road esp with how lovely ABS was at the time.

The donor WRX on the other hand..... they came with ABS but not cruise control.

ALSO the Forester GT - the turbo model from the factory - didnt come with cruise control standard. And no hill holder.

I deeply regret selling that Forester GT I rebuilt a few years ago now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A surprising number of JDM cars actually lacked cruise control, neither my 2002 Skyline nor my father's 2010 Legacy GT had it

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
My '90 Bluebird had cruise but no ABS, '96 Maxima had ABS but no cruise (both NZ assembled), and my '06 Fuga 450GT has fuckin *everything* except cruise, sunroof and upgraded Bose sound (the only JDM options).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Out of 80+ JDM imports I e only had 3 or 4 that had cruise and they were all big sedans or GT wagons. Even “luxury” vans lack it. The 5-6 skylines I’ve had did not have it. I personally never use cruise never have but it is often asked about when I’m selling one.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I didn't use it a lot on the Bluebird, partly because it was a manual, so only any good for long periods of sitting in 5th, but also given the similarities in geography between Japan and NZ, I wonder if they think it's just not useful? No good in urban traffic, and certainly here in NZ, only one city has long enough motorways, outside that even "major" highways are twisty two lane rural roads. Japan does have more inter-urban highways but not all that much compared to US or even Europe.

Modern radar stuff would be more useful but still.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hmmm. 201kw ATW through a 34mm restrictor makes me really thoughtful; what turbo is on the BRZ thing, still VF or some hybrid thing?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hmmm. 201kw ATW through a 34mm restrictor makes me really thoughtful; what turbo is on the BRZ thing, still VF or some hybrid thing?

VF36

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Neat! VF30 is a specifically allowed turbo for what I'd be messing with... you probably have some idea how hard it is to find loving any restricted turbo dyno plots.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
And for my next trick...

https://youtu.be/vxTy3fOobdA

IT DOES SKIDS!

Kinda more relieved than joyous to be honest....

PS: I better correct the information error.. I went back and cecked an old dyno chart.

the BRZ has more torque than the STi.. by 2 freedom units....

what have I created....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So after a bit of time where that loving Forester gave me a mental beating time to push forward...

Dash back in

Airbags / center cubby in

Quick devert putting the dash in WReckX and then realising that the car hadnt been opened for nearly two years and JFC things were growing in it.....

(Not seen - gettign a respirator and protective gear on, then scrubbing it all down with mold killer)

Center console in

Annnnd the bit that was mentally beating me up, the engine not mating with the gearbox. A Saturday evening with a cuppa tea and then KB coming over sees that the engien swap hardware is done. We now have a 2 litre turbo big port WRX motor in with 4.4444 JDM STI 5 speed driveline. This should be a rocket off the line :D

[img]https://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/i.php?/upload/2022/07/24/20220724025218-14eb4792-xx.jpg[/img[

Driveline done

Tried to have a go at installing this Titanium 3" high performance exhaust that was last used on a 22B. The same 22B I got to have a thrash of about 15 years ago but thats jsut an aside.... it doesnt fit right now due to the tow bar getting in the way. I need to use different rubber hangers and will order this week.

(Whole exhaust system is half the weight of the NA Forester so a bit of an offset for the increase in weight due to the turbo system)

Catte

Seeing a bunch of real progress and the distinct chance a dramatically faster sleeper project firing up soon is a hell of a mental boost. It'll run out of revs at 215kph but it should get there *fast*

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 24, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Interior back together, gets all five gears. Tick.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Side note.. I have traction issues on Tarmac ..... I Like this kind of problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNWeP1AGTo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kaptainballistik posted:

Side note.. I have traction issues on Tarmac ..... I Like this kind of problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNWeP1AGTo

Didnt ask on the chat but are the dash's speed numbers close to accurate? The run you havent publically posted looks likely to be close to a sub 4 sec 0-100 if it is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Forester status -

Got oil pressure (lots!)

Cranking it over seemed to have variable compression but it's been sitting a long time with 10 liters of oil in it.

Connect the cam angle sensor, no start

Pull plug, looks wet.

Hmmmm

Test to see if I have spark. No spark.

Thats a problem.

Sit down to think about it, talk to KB, think a bit more, wonder if the Forester GT ECU has a plugout difference to a WRX

Swap ECU to a MY00 WRX

Try and test spark

Get deafened as the engine snarled to life unexpectly on three cylinders (Plug was out to test spark....) and no exhaust past the turbo

It's hesitant to start without some Aerostart down the guts but I suspect it needs to be heat cycled to clean up and reseal. So now I know it can run, gonna get the other jobs done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yYnWbOTbqE

Also whomever said this swap was easy can fuuuuuuuck right off. Forums dying also meant the annoying issues are no longer documented to do the swap

So anyway TL:DR : Got a Gen 1 Forester with a WRX motor swap and 02 JDM STI driveline up and working. I'm gonna make this thing faster than the Gorester

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Uhhhh.... that might be my no start issue.

Project gone off the rails as there's been some problems starting it up due to immobiliser and now this. And now a blinking CEL which..... not sure what is causing that. Plenty of frustration going about

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WqiMp9ON5Q4

Well loving finally - Worked out the immobilizer issue.

It has a tankful of poo poo fuel and a lot of vaccuum lines to be replaced - as well as the throttle cable - but now it actually does fire up and run I can get it driving this week.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

And there it is..... a Forester with less than 90Kw now suddenly has over 170Kw

And I'm not done yet, this Forester could already outhandle and outstop any stockish WRX, the goal is to have this thing pushing power that would make the Gorester look tame

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It was around 370-400 crank but also had no interior really.

I still have the motor and it's got a VF39 on it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

........ just when I got the Forester ready to drive ANOTHER fuel pump dies.

FUUUUUUCK

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Love the old Hewlett Packard. And the cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

At least Subaru gives you an access panel to get to the pump.

Or at least they did on early 00s Legacys/Outbacks...