Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow that is an old HP computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bah that's not that old, you're just young, kiddo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ive been trying to rebuild this car for nearly SEVEN years

Fuuuuuck me talk about a stalled project

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

If you dont care about car stuff, here's a catte!

Whats this, actual car stuff?

Forester -

WRX fuel tank in with hi flo pump inside

Time to put this mongrel back in

Oh and the WRX wagon........ I actually got past the brain lock and did something to it???

What was a nasty job was solved with violence. A hell of a lot of violence.

(And I know why these cars are so light. The roof is basically tinfoil...... and gotta say removing the roof supports to install a sunroof is a really really loving BAD ldea to say the least. Looks like a aftermarket install about 23 years ago)

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

My first car (Mazda 323) was inherited from my grandma who had an aftermarket moon roof installed. It didn't leak or rust, fortunately, but it was only solid glass without any sliding cover. I had to bag-clip a small half-size windshield in the way almost the entire time, otherwise the black interior would roast. Have no idea what she was thinking.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MiniFoo posted:

My first car (Mazda 323) was inherited from my grandma who had an aftermarket moon roof installed. It didn't leak or rust, fortunately, but it was only solid glass without any sliding cover. I had to bag-clip a small half-size windshield in the way almost the entire time, otherwise the black interior would roast. Have no idea what she was thinking.

"I want a moon roof", I'm guessing. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Issue one -

WRX fuel tank wiring is wrong for a Forester NA wiring loom. Ooops.

Issue two -

Got the linkages the wrong way round. Ooops.

Baaaack another step......

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Definitely feel you on this project.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Definitely feel you on this project.

It's a simple swap they said. All the parts would just work they said.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Never listen to them ever again :argh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

UNderneath the car - done

Gear linkages - fixed

Fuel pump wiring - fixed

Also over Easter hired a e-MTB and went mountain bike riding a weee bit

(300.85kms over Easter, 4022m climbed)

TBH preferred this bike from the week before...

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 10, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The good!

Forester back on the ground

Everything now done up

Clutch appears to work

Number of too jobs now can be counted on one hand

The bad!

It won't fire up because now the loving battery won't charge. Booooooòo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://youtube.com/shorts/lD-ap9lLMaw

Well that's a relief. Got a way to go to work out why it won't run well but at least it starts now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

It's basically done! One turbocharged Toaster ....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lD-ap9lLMaw

Ummm...... yeah thats not a happy engine.

R134 1 (Black connector, upper right) is the wire for the ECU to trigger the fuel pump relay to close. I'm pretty sure when I was haivng fuel pump issues while testing the pump I backfed 12VDC along that wire and gave the ECU some "brain problems". Another WRX/GT ECU of the same year triggers the relay no problem BUT the thing is there this is a car with an immobilizer so those ECU's are not allowing the injectors to cycle as the ECU's arent paired to the key / immobilizer module.

The suspected blown ECU DOES let the injectors cycle because it's paired to the immobilizer and key but as the video shows not for long and I have to hot wire the fuel pump. Reeeeeeal not amused with myself now - going to borrow a non immobilized JDM ECU to confirm but I think I have this correctly diaged and I'm up for at least another ECU/immobilizer/key set OR a aftermarket ECU that will ignore the immobilizer.

gently caress this isnt what I want to spend money on now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I thought that was a snake behind your cat at first lol

Aren't you ever worried about that? Lotta poisonous snakes over there I'd be worried about my kitties :ohdear:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I thought that was a snake behind your cat at first lol

Aren't you ever worried about that? Lotta poisonous snakes over there I'd be worried about my kitties :ohdear:

Not my kitty, it's next doors coming by for visit.

I think the snakes have more issues with cats than the other way round but all my kitties are indoors only so doesn't worry me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Solution to ECU issue found.

Just means instead of 155Kw base power, Forester will be 206Kw+ instead. Dont think a lightweight Crossover with Japanese WRX STI power straight out the box is a great idea....

Repinning practice harness.

Not sure this is a good idea at all

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just means instead of 155Kw base power, Forester will be 206Kw+ instead. Dont think a lightweight Crossover with Japanese WRX STI power straight out the box is a great idea....

Not sure this is a good idea at all

Oh, I respectfully disagree.

:rms:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

Oh, I respectfully disagree.

:rms:

The gearbox and the brakes - even if they have both been fairly well upgraded - may beg to differ.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The gearbox and the brakes - even if they have both been fairly well upgraded - may beg to differ.

What's the worst that could happen?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

What's the worst that could happen?

I try to find the top speed and it hasn't got the brakes to stop it from 250+kph?

Anyway so success! Repinned and the ECU fires the car up. So now I have other issues..

1) doesn't want to idle, runs very badly below 2000rpm.

2) clutch ain't fully working

3) fuel return pressure is waaaay too high

4) power steering no work

Not an issue....

1) 3500rpm clutch drop and all four broke away. Did not expect that at all

Butt dyno says this thing is an absolute monster and oh boy I soooooo goddamn happy it's finally running and looking like it will meet expectations

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I try to find the top speed and it hasn't got the brakes to stop it from 250+kph?

Eh, even the most basic modernish brakes can stop you from multiples of the top speed. Doing it more than once in a row, that's another problem.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bajaha posted:

Eh, even the most basic modernish brakes can stop you from multiples of the top speed. Doing it more than once in a row, that's another problem.

The present uprated WRX 4 pot might be good but they were only really ever meant for v1 of this project with a less powerful setup. On a race track they will start having a meltdown half a lap in, they are marginal enough for the MY06 which is .... gently caress me 30Kw less powerful and unable to rev like a EJ20 can.

Might be lighter than modern crossovers but it's still got more weight than a GC8 the brakes were lifted from has as well.

Other consideration is the tyre speed rating are going to be well under what it can do.

(Or I can put in boost restrictions so it doesnt try for 20psi but what the fun in that?)

(Will have to change the injectors as well, the ECU is expecting injectors 100cc bigger. It's already a big port head and GC8 STI exhaust)

And it drove in as well! Only taken 2.5 years for it to move under its own power again

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I keep thinking projects dont get finished around here but lets see what got built and out the door of this garage....

1) Reuild MY06 WRX
2) WRC STI build
3) AWD BRZ
4) Forester GT rebuild
5) CURSED OUTBACK
6) RX-7
7) WRX STI swapped Forester now on the final leg to geting on the road
8) God knows how many Subarus etither pulled apart or fixed and out the door.
9) Corolla

Ummm..... okay so maybe I was wrong, poo poo gets done?

Edit : Also had a check and the injectors are already 440cc STI injectors so I'm good on that one

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 21, 2023

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's awesome, congrats.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Could some American goons help you out with used Nascar brake assemblies? They're meant to clear 15" wheels and take a serious beating.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

1) 3500rpm clutch drop and all four broke away. Did not expect that at all

:vince: :staredog:

loving hell, that sounds like a giggle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

harperdc posted:

:vince: :staredog:

loving hell, that sounds like a giggle.

Def unexpected and also pretty dang happy the potency of the swap has finally been glimpsed. Got a ways to go to get to the final 300KwATW goal but this is a good start

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wait how the ever living gently caress have I not the AWD BRZ at it's first real public event??????

Geez call myself a moderator of AI an I don't post one of the most AI cars of them all, pathetic

It goes real hard, it had a lot of power steering overheating issues and oil starved around a sweeper because KB hadnt reckoned on the grip and speed it develops would slosh oil from the pickup with what was the sump design. Current status - new red hot motor is finally back in, wiring being redone, new sump design and pickup. The joys ofscratch developing a oneoff uniquebuild

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeJeQgOVPXU

Back to figuring out why it's running so badly. Took out a plug and it's just covered in dark soot so that means it's running foully rich. So, first check is the fuel system which turned out tobe agoo thing as I found that the fuel tank and return line at the engine wasnt tight. Decided to see if the return line was blocked by running the returninto a fuel can - found that nope, that wasnt it.

Then the next thing to check off was the MAF sensor as thats known to go bad. Disconenct and there no change....... oooooooooo now we got something THAT shouldnt happen. Quick dive into the spares pile annnd.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkYhneFMfs

Yep, the MAF has died. We're now running smoothly! Got the car up to temperature as well

Exceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeept that double click at the end is the second hand radiator I got last year about five seconds from failing

The drain valve sometime in the past was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overtightened and as soon as the cooling system pressurised, it gave way. Leading to a major garage cleanup

Removed any remains of the drain valve, all looks fine otherwise. However the rest of the evening is mopping up the messfrom the radiator contents being unceremoniously dumped on the floor of the garage.

Ah well. Have to laugh at another headache, at least this is an easy one to fix and major problem was solved.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I keep thinking projects dont get finished around here but lets see what got built and out the door of this garage....

1) Reuild MY06 WRX
2) WRC STI build
3) AWD BRZ
4) Forester GT rebuild
5) CURSED OUTBACK
6) RX-7
7) WRX STI swapped Forester now on the final leg to geting on the road
8) God knows how many Subarus etither pulled apart or fixed and out the door.
9) Corolla

Ummm..... okay so maybe I was wrong, poo poo gets done?

Edit : Also had a check and the injectors are already 440cc STI injectors so I'm good on that one

Ahem.... CHU had a gearbox swap there and the VR4 did some time here! so thats 11...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hi, it moved there under it's own power. And has alllllll the boost. Legit "What the gently caress" level off the line launch

Brakes...... geez yeah no not matching the pace. I have to work out why they areso poor because they arr the same as three years ago and they worked a lot better. I'm calling this a successful project, the goal was to build a sleeper Forester that can duel with a Model 3 Performance and I think it has all the potential to do exactly that

I'm happy, now to get the niggles worked out and onto the next project.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fixed - found a loose strut top

Fixed - One of the radiator vent lines placed wrong and foulling accelerator cable

Ordered - New MAF as the existing isnt correct for the ECU

Noticed - Boost control is allowing too much boost, 25psi is fun but it's *bad* on this engine, there's not enough fuel yet to support that

Required for rego - 42084FE010 Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Fixed - Brake vaccuum hose wrong way around,got that wrong because of the difference between a WRX and a Forester booster.

To be fixed - Driver side headlight wiring, interior tidy, ECU mount, driver seat is broken, will replace with 06 WRX seats, exhaust knocking on something

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

We are going to need video up in this bitch, sir.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Riiiippppp giggle riiiippppp giggle is the preferred format.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yep, we'll get there. Firstly doing a few jobs to make it less of a engine handgrenade waiting to explode like fitting a new MAF and getting the 30psi of boost back to something sane.

Tonight's job is straightening the intercooler fins. Done while listening to some oddly knowledgeable guy who makes hour long power point presentations about military stuff and Ukraine. I never thought Powerpoint presentations could be this entertaining.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So about those odd jobs.....

Off comes the intercooler because I need to get at the throttle body

Oh that aint good. That's the idle control valve and it's a mess. That is a likely reason why the idle is poo poo

Driver's side seat was broken. Put in some MY07 WRX seats in

Boost controller is coming out to correct the vacuum hoses.

So all of that means I have a handful of parts coming this week to fix the issues found.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Forester ran, then it didnt. Suspected wiring issue

Dunno if I ever posted this?

What the AWD BRZ when it was vaguely still a BRZ looked like when it first came "home" from Mechanical Stig's workshop

A lot of this WRX is now in a AWD BRZ. This is when we were unpicking the weld to take the front frame apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Incredible car and cat content.