Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Second best weekly show in wrestling looks set for a barn burner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

At the very least, let him have a bunch of good matches and establish himself first.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Are there any wrestlers named "Calvin" out there?

Calvin Tankman, current BLP champion and an absolute monster. This is him obliterating MJF a couple of years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cekOKD_zKIQ

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 8, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

What about wrestlers named Shaw? We still make Hobbs do the imaginary tiger gimmick, but we also make Shaw do a Jason Statham gimmick, and make them a trio: Fast and Furious Presents Calvin & Hobbs & Shaw.

Sadly he's playing a psychopath boardwalk artist in NXT right now.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Deathlove posted:

oooooooooooooooh you probably should've finished watching that show

bah, still only part way through it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

1) Sean Legacy vs Will Hobbs. Insert Brock Lesnar "big boy" gif here as Will Hobbs faces off against Will Fauxspreay. This is a methodical power clinic, lots of clever spots from Hobbs. Excellent delayed vertical suplex. Hobbs still needs some seasoning when it comes to speed and smoothness, but my goodness do his power moves look superb.

2) Brian Cage vs Tony Donati. Love that Tony Donati music. Cage throwing people around will always look great. Beautiful thrust kick too. Ooh, and he's using Weapon X as a finisher now? That's cool.

3) Griff Garrison vs Angelico. Love that we're continuing pushing Angelico's submissions gimmick. He's got that long swimmer's body like ZSJ, Phantasmo, and Chris Brookes that makes his stuff look unique. He's cocky, which is good. Garrison continues to be a super talented blue chipper, and seemingly game for anything, which is something that gets you work. This is a fun match, lots of enjoyable back and forth in the clash of styles. Some of Angelico's stuff just looks sickening in a good way.

4) Skyler Moore vs Anna Jay. Skyler's decent but yet to stand out. Love that Anna comes out alone but then her followers come out. She has such confidence now. Wow, Anna has been working on her strikes. Skyler's got a few slick moves herself, very good looking gutwrench. Good to see them sell Anna's submission choke.

5) Lee Johnson vs Eddie Kingston. Raw potential vs slow-cooked experience. Lee Johnson is very good fun as a seller. Ooh, that dropkick was pretty. Kingston is methodical in offense, which makes him a fun match for Johnson, and the spinning back fist is always going to look awesome. Congrats on your first AEW win, Mad King.

6) Sonny Kiss vs Serpentico. White vest with tails looks great. Sonny looks superb. Super-fast agile start. Sonny's come a long way in putting a match together, offense looks superb now and he's moving through a match, not just going spot to spot. Serpentico is a great lower card veteran. The neck twist turn is such a fun spot. This is a really good match. WOAH, that split legged 360 leg drop into the pin looked amazing! Good job, Sonny.

7) Ricky Starks vs Ben Carter. English Channel, not British Channel, Justin. Stroke Daddy feeling it tonight. Dirty start with the handshake, nice. This is my first sight of Ben Carter and he's got something. Carter laying in the offense. Both guys looking good here. MJF's campaign manager at ringside. Ben Carter with the machine gun chops. HELL of a frog splash from Carter, great form on that phoenix splash too. Tremendous fun match and I hope someone in the back is looking at Carter.

Good show overall. 3 or 4 good matches plus bits and pieces of filler.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ICR posted:

Dark was very good. Here’s my thoughts on every match:

1) Angelico is a very beautiful man and John Silver needs to recruit him to the Dark Order.

2) John Silver should recruit Angelico because he is a sharp, nice, handsome man.

3) Wow, Angelico. John Silver, you know what to do.

handsome, for a man.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

They pretty consistently bring up that Hobbs wrestles in honor of the memory of his brother, so I think they’ll probably be using him as a face.

WWE would turn him heel and have him cut a promo on his brother.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1304812548605255684

Dark Order (3, 4, Stu Grayson and Evil Uno) vs Private Party (Isiah Kassidy and Marq Quen) and Billy and Austin Gunn
Butcher and the Blade (with Eddie Kingston) vs Daniel Garcia and Kevin Blackwood
Best Friends (Chuck Taylor and Trent Beretta) vs Maxx Stardom and Dontae Smiley
FTW champ Brian Cage vs Megabyte Ronnie
Colt Cabana vs QT Marshall (with Allie)
Will Hobbs vs Jessy Sorensen
Penelope Ford (with Kip Sabian) vs Dani Jordyn
Brandi vs Red Velvet
Proud n Powerful (Santana and Ortiz) vs Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman Jr
Diamante and Ivelisse vs Skyler Moore and Rache Chanel
Brandon Cutler vs Peter Avalon (with Leva Bates)

OP updated

Quite apart from the most important singles match in AEW's history, a lot of these look like good fun. Colt vs QT has potential to be very watchable indeed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Love the opening back and forth between Excalibur, Taz, and Veda

1) Red Velvet vs Brandi Rhodes. Fun match. Red Velvet is a better wrestler than Brandi but they match well. The appearance / interference of Anna Jay was good story.

2) Daniel Garcia and Kevin Blackwood vs The Butcher and the Blade. Buffalo Brothers represent. That's quite the outfit, Kevin. Love Daniel Garcia in Beyond. Early domination from B&B. Liked the shine from Blackwood, he's got skills, but quickly shut down by B&B. Full Death is still not a pretty move. Decent squash.

3) Penelope Ford vs Dani Jordyn. Jordyn has new gear I think. Looking very professional. Love that Kip leans into the himbo character so much. Taz, maybe talk about women a bit less. Jordyn looking pretty good here. Penelope Ford continues to improve. Once Excalibur and Veda shut Taz down I enjoyed this.

4) Brian Cage versus Megabyte "2 Cakes" Ronnie. Ronnie has an absolute 1970s bod in a good way. Obviously this is pretty one sided but this is pretty heavily physical in a good way. Great pop up powerbomb from Ronnie. Hot dog spot was funny.

5) Proud and Powerful vs Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman Jr. Good fiery match. Glad that they let the underneath guys get offense on the same level as P&P. Garrison is really getting some seasoning now. Liked the spot of Pillman trying to tag in and not quite getting it. Love Ricky on commentary being laconic. "I have two thumbs, Excalibur".

6) Jessy Sorensen vs WILL HOBBS. We had hotdogs earlier, now we've got a serious helping of beef. Monster lariat to start. Absolutely love the push out of the cross body. Less a match and more a catalogue of Will Hobbs' power moves.

7) Rache Chanel vs Ivelisse and Diamante. This could be rough. Ivelisse and Diamante have a great collective look. Skyler Moore has a great armdrag. Rache Chanel has a pretty good back elbow. Oof, there was some clumsy stuff from Chanel there. Diamante's corner dropkick is awesome. Chanel's "shining wizard" was loving awful. There's 3 good wrestlers in this match and one mannequin made of broomsticks. 75% of a good match.

8) Colt Cabana vs QT Marshall. Dark Order out for a struggle session. Decent match between two good wrestlers, with very good story bits from the Dark Order side. Cabana being insecure and off his game is progressing the story well. Thanks for the Matt Classic ref there, Excalibur. Marshall's diving back elbow is very good. This is becoming a really compelling story match. I love that Stu Grayson is just a pure weapon. Very enjoyable.

9) Peter Avalon vs Brandon Cutler. Breaks my heart that my boys are fighting, but this could be great. Love the dragon mask on Cutler. This starts HOT. Lots of fast, passionate moves. Glad the Bucks are at ringside. Peter, don't shove Leva out of the way, that's not what you do with a Leva! Lots of energy, lots of story, and some really creative moves from both guys. Cutler's reverse DDT is amazing. Avalon's moonsault is a thing of beauty. Uh oh, both on the outside. Double count out? DOUBLE COUNT OUT! Perfect! Awww, Leva :(

10) Maxx Stardom and Dontae Smiley vs Best Friends. We have some ring gear going on here. New guys aren't making a huge amount of impact at the start. Stardom has a couple of slick moves which are fun. Not much to say about this but I like more serious Best Friends.

11) Dark Order vs In The Club. Grayson, Uno, Reynolds, and Silver are a hell of a great four man team. Private Party are superb. Gunn Club are also there. OK, I'll be fair, Billy can still go. Austin never went. Dropkick Sunset Flip from Private Party is wild. I love Tiny Tank John Silver so much. I love 8 man clusterfucks, so much fun, so much happening. I know Uno and Grayson are the OG tag team in Dark Order, but God do I want a Grayson singles run. I could watch Reynolds and Silver fight Private Party forever. Fun, chaotic main event. Good work, guys.

Altogether a fun show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

No Veda :(

Spears on commentary wearing his own gear. Sure.

1) Ray Rosas and Ryzin vs SCU. classic SCU configuration. 4 guys who know each other well, this could be fun. Some really nice chain wrestling to start. Put Ryzin in the Chaos Project, I bet he could point at his head and stick out his tongue if you need him to. Spears is a wet turd on commentary. Rosas is pretty good fun in this match. Short match that didn’t really become its own thing because of Spears on the desk.

John Silver and Uno promo time. Intriguing.

Ricky Starks out on commentary. Hopefully this will be better.

2) Alex Gracia vs Penelope Ford. Alex Gracia certainly has a look. Start of the match is competent but a bit artificial. Penelope has developed very well as a heel. Was that lungblower new? I don't think I'd seen her do it before. Good performance from Penelope but really nothing at all from Alex.

3) M'Badu and Bshp King vs Best Friends. Strong look from King and M'Badu. Was Taz trying to recruit Sue? M'Badu has some serious power on him. So does Bshp. Some serious Big Lad Wrestling here. Best Friends are upping the aggression here. I like it. Jesus, that corner splash from M'Badu. Pool was empty but that's a formidable sight. Best Friends are managing to win decisively without making their opponents look weak. This was a good little match.

Brandon promo. Not a great promo but glad the story is continuing.

4) 5 and 10 vs Jurassic Express. Edward Norton Antivirus is now canon. Nice athletic start. Slightly sloppy belly to belly. Nice stuff between Jungle Boy and 5. Christ, these two are great. Loving the emerging tag team coordination between 5 and 10. Luchasaurus cleaning house is great. We already knew how good 5 was, but 10 has really impressed since returning from injury. Very decent match.

Snakem'n and Pointm'n promo. Ludicrous but fun.

5) Gunn Club vs Shawn Dean and Cezar Bononi. That's a really small moustache, Cezar. Like the new Gunn Club music. Respect to Austin for wearing an Animal shirt. Shawn Dean starting, he's probably the best hand of the enhancement guys. Bononi has a good physique and some great character work. Not sure I see much more than that yet. He's got a passable Big Man moveset but his stuff doesn't connect very well. I continue to not care at all about either Gunn. I have to confess, I'm enjoying Cezar Bononi in this match. Not a great match, but I like Deanoni as a team.

Nightmare Family group promo. Very classic WCW group promo.

6) Red Velvet vs Tay Conti. New gear for Red. She looks great. New gear for Tay too I think. There's Anna Jay in the crowd, right after Brandi told us she wasn't here. Hot start to this match. Lots of quick grappling and reversals, really giving Tay chances to show her skills. If they can sell Conti as the legit grappler she is, I think she could be a major player. Red Velvet continues to impress. JESUS, those elbow strikes from Tay were great. And then Kawada kicks to Velvet's head. drat, Tay looked GREAT here. And then Anna Jay destroys Red Velvet. And then Brandi out. Are we setting up a tag match here? I liked everything about this match and segment.

7) Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman Jr vs THE CHAOS PROJECT OF SNAKEM'N AND POINTM'N FEATURING JAPANESE DEATHMATCH LEGEND LUTHER. Fun chaotic opening with streamers everywhere. Luther is getting better. He'll never be great, but undercard garbage tags are great for him. This night has heated up. Some innovative stuff from Serpentico and Luther here. This was fun.

8) Nyla Rose vs Rache Chanel. One of AEW's best versus arguably AEW's worst. Chanel's gear is nicer tonight, I guess. And her new haircut suits her better. I like that Nyla is picking up Japanese ring jacket gimmicks. OK, Chanel is... not terrible here? That corner kick was no joke. Light work for Nyla, though.

9) John Silver and Colt Cabana vs Natural Nightmares. Start off with Old Dustin and Old Colt. Lots of fun back and forth to start. The height difference between Dustin and Silver is hilarious. They sell the Cabana conflict well. This is a decent competitive match and I'm glad to see Silver holding his own here. Nicely done miscommunication. Perfectly adequate story match.

This show started kind of rough, but the last four matches were all fun, and the Tay / Velvet match was genuinely very good.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

Lutha Bros need to come up with a move to match the name Snake Rattle and Roll

Serpentico does a Chaos Theory rolling suplex into a Luther leg drop?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, Colt and Tay are on opposite trajectories. He's in deep and is going to figure it out and break away and fight his way out. She's going to be slowly seduced by the power of violence.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

it will be a lot of fun finding out which of these is the case.

And I really want the TayJay vs BranVel match now

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Yeah, I think it’s better for both of their development trajectories for TayJay to stay together as the Violence Twins than it does for them to feud right now. Keeping them as a team means they need to establish a couple more babyface women’s tag teams though.

I'll give Lil Swole a call.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Ricky, Taz and Excalibur as a booth, which could be fun.

1) Kenzie Page vs Brandi Rhodes. New gear for Kenzie? Good look. Good intensity early as well, nice pieface to Brandi. It's all quite punch-kick, but Kenzie's fundamentals look strong. Kenzie went out weak, which I didn't like, but then we get story. Anna Jay attacc, Red Velvet defen

2) Jurassic Express vs Ray Rosas and Eric Watts. Heard of Watts but not seen him before. Looks impressive. God, I just love watching Jungle Boy work. Oof, some great strikes from Luchasaurus. Watts has some very nice looking power moves. Match gets a bit unbaked in the middle but recovers as time goes on. Nice hoss exchange between Luchasaurus and Watts. A very nice near fall from Rosas on Jungle Boy. Yeah, this was good. I loved that Starks was pretty high on Jurassic Express despite being a heel.

3) Anthony Bowens and Lee Johnson vs Chaos Project. Johnson / Bowens may be the most handsome team in AEW today. Love Luther's Thriller jacket. Love Snakem'n's streamers. Luther has improved in the ring as the rust has worn off. Couple of semi rough spots early. Yay, Luther screaming! Yay, Serpentico as a weapon! Yay, Ricky getting forensic on Luther's bloody rear end prints. At this point my cat started watching Dark. I think she thinks Serpentico is a bird. Bowens has some excellent athletic moves. His spinning slam thing on Serpentico was excellent. This was a fun match. Give me a Johnson / Bowens team in the title chase.

4) Will Hobbs vs Ryzin. Ah, Ryzin, you living avatar of the early 2000s alt scene. There's definitely a highlight video of you somewhere set to an AFI song, and you definitely made it. I went to pour out coffee and this match was already over.

Eddie Kingston very angry with Joey Janela

5) John Silver vs QT Marshall. Is this Silver's first AEW singles match? Love Uno cornering for him. I can only think of QT as his character from Sammy's vlog. And here he is beating up a kid! drat, Silver is a muscle missile. Deceptively fast and tough. Loved the kick to leg capture to roll to crossface, just great chain moves. Lovely looking superplex from these two. QT Marshall does a rolling top rope elbow drop and it looks great. poo poo, that flurry of offense from Silver looked superb. Really enjoyable match.

6) Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman Jr vs David Ali and Cezar Bononi. Bononi has the face of a much smaller Italian barber. Love the Pillman / Garrison hair team. Pillman Jr is getting a lot better. I liked Bononi hulking up. I kind of want Bononi to go full circus strongman with his look. Animal print single strap singlet, bar bells with the weight painted on them, the whole deal. Pillman and Garrison get the win. Congrats, guys.

7) Skyler Moore vs Big Swole. Swole. Swole. Aggressive start, which is fun. Lots of back and forth. Moore has some real skills. Short match but did a good job of showing off Swole's explosive power.

Matt Sydal is a very good wrestler and not a very good promo.

8) Michael Nakazawa vs Matt Sydal. They do some decent comedy stuff with the shooting star press and the baby oil. Less a match and more a comedy spot.

9) M'Badu vs Eddie Kingston. M'Badu is so physically impressive. A very quick submission from Kingston but one that made him look tough rather than making M'Badu look weak.

Great Kingston promo post-match. Jesus, he is good at this.

Janela and Kiss cut a promo. Love Sonny's "Bad Babe" gear

10) Shawn Dean vs Angelico. God, I love Angelico and Evans so much. They should be main card players. Good technical stuff from the start. Angelico makes the submissions stuff look easy. What makes Angelico so interesting to watch is how athletic he is with his submissions.

11) New Jersey Connection vs LUCHA BROS, MEXI KINGS, ZERO MIEDO, MEET YOU IN THE RING. Hot start to the match. How did Pentagon find enough butt on Joey to land double boots on it? As good as you would expect from all these guys. Sonny hitting a 450 was great. Fenix also manages a butt landing on Joey. How? This was decent.

Not the best Dark, but enjoyable all the way through.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Still no Veda. Shame

1) Evil Uno vs The Blade vs Frankie Kazarian vs Jungle Boy. This is a really stacked four way. Couple of scruffy bits towards the start but Kaz is a good enough ring general that things sort out pretty quickly. The rope sequence with Jungle Boy leaping Evil Uno then mule kicking him was fantastic. As was the monkey flip / double clothesline spot. This is clearly a match where Jungle Boy is the star, and he plays it well, but really it just reminded me how astonishing Frankie Kazarian is. Finish was a bit abrupt, but this was pretty good. Post-match chaos was kind of fun.

2) Lucha Bros vs Lee Johnson and Cezar Bononi. Is this new music for Big Shotty Lee? Ah, Cezar, you Italian barber who drank a growth potion. Lucha Bros are so effortlessly good. Ben Carter shout out on commentary. The Bononi double slam spot is so dumb but so great. Love the Pentagon bonch stomp. Bononi has grown on me a lot, there are four good to amazing guys in this match. Short match with an inevitable conclusion but it was pretty good.

3) Brandon Cutler vs Peter Avalon part 2. Looking for some real fuckery here. No Bucks. Avalon is savage early. The "Raise my hand, Rick" bit was GREAT. This tells a really decent story really quickly, with Avalon desperate for that win by any means necessary. Some real innovative work from both of them. Cutler considering and rejecting the D20 as a weapon was beautiful. And then DOUBLE DQ! With Leva disappointed with both of them. Perfect.

4) Matt Sydal vs Sonny Kiss. The Matt Sydal character of Ayahuasca Douche is great. What do you mean "that's not a character". Takes a minute for them to get fluid together. Sydal has some really punishing looking moves and is clearly working heel here. Some very inventive holds from both guys here. Boo, wanted Sonny to win this one, but not a bad match at all.

5) 3, 4, and 10 vs Aaron Solow, Angel Fashion and M'Badu. Love Angel Fashion's look. More black goths please. John Silver's lil bandage is cute as hell. M'Badu has great power. He needs more snap with it to look like a killer. Fashion is quick and athletic and looks like he belongs. I'm waiting for them to let Solow really cut loose, because he's good. CHRIST, the air that M'Badu gets on that corner splash is insane. We got the ending we were expecting but this was good.

6) Red Velvet vs Elayna Black. Brandi out on commentary. Elayna Back out with her little coffin. Red Velvet out and looking poised. Good chain wrestling to start. Elayna is pretty good so far but Velvet is the star of the show here. Short match, but Velvet gets on the board with a win. Not wild about the patronising Brandi stuff but if it ends with Velvet getting a deal I'm fine with it.

7) Fuego Del Sol vs Ricky Starks. Starks has such great poise. This is a bullying squash as one would expect. Welcome to AEW Starks.

Backstage with SCU and Spears. Spears / Daniels is set up. Sure.

8) Ryzin and Max Stardom vs Gunn Club. Don't be a creep with Aubrey, Billy. Personally I love Ryzin's gear. Match is what it is, squabbling on commentary is fun. Ryzin dodging the fame-asser was good. Austin Gunn continues to have the worst finisher in wrestling.

9) Darby Allin vs Nick Comoroto. That sure is a look, Nick. Once he gets the jacket off he looks good. I have a real fondness for bear-like wrestlers. This is a fun "fight from underneath" match. Love the ability of AEW to emphasise speed and agility as counters to size and strength. Expected finish but this was fun. Did Taz just call Darby "Skateboard titty"?

KiLynn King promo. It's not bad. And the "The King" nickname is good. But... rethink 'native bitch".

10) Griff Garrison vs Colt Cabana. It would have been fun to send out Michael Nakazawa dressed as Colt Cabana. Fun athletic slugfest. Garrison has a great enthusiastic style. Cabana felt more on his game here than he had in a bit.

11) Nyla Rose vs KiLynn King. King's gear is great, but after that promo I'm rooting for Nyla. I'd like to see Vickie recruit more people to the Vicious Vixens. King would be a good candidate. Some great looking strikes from KiLynn King here. Nyla's German suplex is fantastic. Wow, this was quick.

Vickie demands a title match for Nyla. OK.

12) D3 vs Joey Janela. How's it going, Rome Hat? This is slow to start but fun. Jeez, D3 looks dead at the end, is he OK?

13) Wardlow vs Elijah Dean. Wardlow. This guy is from Intercourse. Wardlow. He's dressed like a ringmaster. Wardlow. Elijah Dean's "oh gently caress" face is fantastic. Wardlow. Love the "ref stoppage" end. Wardlow.

Wardlow.

14) Eddie Kingston vs Barron Black. I like Black's ring gear. Black gets some good offense in here. Until Kingston taps him out in short order.

This was a packed card. So packed that by the end I was exhausted. There was a lot of good on this show but there was a LOT on this show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Germansimp posted:

Man, I love that the Dark Order used the BDK's old Ragnarok finisher:

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1316165045928292353

Sure didn't expect to see that move ever being used on National TV-adjacent YouTube. Guess I'll start referring to the Dark Order as the BDD (Bruderschaft Der Dunkelheit) now.

More like SwissSimp

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

A million hour Dark. Here we go.

1) Shawn Spears vs Christopher Daniels. Should be competently wrestled at least. Ooh, or maybe not, that first exchange was very clumsy. Things warm up a bit as we go along. Daniels still has a lot of fire for a fifty year old, and it's on display here. Better match than it could have been. Sky coming out post-bell works too. I'm interested in this feud.

2) Brandi Rhodes vs KiLynn King. Ooh, new ring gear for KiLynn? Like it. Good chain wrestling for a tall wrestler. They seem to be checking out King's technical skills. She's let down a little by Brandi, but King is very solid here. loving John Silver is out? KiLynn King to Dark Order confirmed. Short match, but King was refreshing and good here. Nice babyface bit after the bell too. I think Brandi's building a stable.

3) David Ali vs Absolute Ricky Starks. I like Ali's look. Very distinctive gear that works for him. Lots of fast explosive moves from both men to start. Starks does smug bully very well. Ali seemed a bit lost halfway through.

4) Fuego Del Sol vs Scorpio Sky. Been looking forward to this one. Sky has to face the master of the Tornado DDT and the 450 Splash. Let's see if Sky has what it takes. Fuego needs to get better conditioning, but he has a couple of neat moves. Flying punch in the corner looked good. Meanwhile on commentary Excalibur is talking about Goosebumps. They're giving Sol quite a lot here, but the Scorpion Death Lock had it in the end. And then Spears plays mind games. I'm okay with all of this.

Fun fact: if every match tonight hits its time limit the show would be five hours and twenty minutes long.

5) Aaron Solow vs Luchasaurus. Solow is a super solid competitor. I appreciate the Aaron Duo joke, Excalibur. Not much to this match but it was enjoyable.

6) The Butcher and the Blade vs Team 80s Hair. I enjoy the Pillman / Garrison team, very good entry level tag. And then we have a team that I sincerely think could be AEW's Road Warriors. Just proper formidable tag team beef. Blade is athletic and hard hitting here, and then Big Butch is just a loving brute. AEW obviously has bigger guys than Butcher but something about him is so intimidating. Props to Pillman and Garrison here, though. They looked athletic, fast, and lion hearted which is perfect for this spot. This is especially true of Garrison, who has really strong Kerry Von Erich energy. Obvious result, but this was a very entertaining match.

7) Penta el Zero M vs QT Marshall. No Fenix with Penta, as we'd expect from the coming tournament. QT blocks a Zero Miedo, which is fun. Lots of very hard hitting shots from Penta here. Match takes a while to mesh, but QT is a great seller and pretty soon we find our rhythm. Penta's twisting sling blade is great. Ooh, Eddie interference to reintroduce Allie as the Bunny? OK, cool. Really thought we were going to get a Penta armbreaker. Instead we get a decisive package piledriver. This was good.

8) Jungle Boy vs KTB. I've enjoyed this guy in the indies. Powerful and savage in a good way. Good muscular foil for Jungle Boy's athleticism. Lots of unorthodox big lad stuff here. That kick catch into dragon screw was great. I could stand to see a lot more of KTB in AEW. I didn't bite on the pin attempts but only because I know Jungle Boy is in singles action tomorrow. As others have mentioned, that crucifix Go 2 Sleep is awesome. poo poo, those top rope knees from Jungle Boy are great. Great little match.

9) Las Sicarias vs Kenzie Page and Skyler Moore. Did Diamante get new music? Love the tandem back and forth. Loved Page being thrown into Moore. Diamante in particular is really on it during this match. This match is scrappy in a good way. Lots of enthusiastic action and a few really neat spots. Ivelisse didn't botch either!

10) Bshp King vs Colt Cabana. I have never respected Taz more than in no selling the "chess enthusiast" joke. No Dark Order with Colt until a few minutes in. King is built and athletic but I'll need to see him more to see if he has more than that. Match is okay but not spectacular

11) Adam Priest vs Alan Angels. Surely these guys should be on the same side. Angels gave a hot promo online before this, so I'm looking forward to this. Lots of hard hitting stuff from Angels. He's a very good striker. Priest has a very mid 2000s look and has some skills, but this is an Angels showcase. Decisive strong win in a short match.

Hot Kaz promo on Evans, with some very Evans cadence idioms

12) Jack Evans vs Frankie Kazarian. Fun, unorthodox match up. Kaz is playing the straight man while Evans does what he does, which is the best way to wrestle Jack Evans. Angelico selling his shoes off was fun too. Match hit hard and Kaz deserved the win. And then we set up TH2 / SCU, which is nice.

13) Baron Black, Louis Valle, and a roman centurion vs 3, 4, and 10. "the empbruh" apparently. Congrats to AEW for finding a wrestler shorter than John Silver. Love Silver as a lil missile. Love how utterly eurotrash D3 is. Pretty straightforward six man squash, but 3, 4, and 10 are a very fun trio.

14) Wardlow vs Vinny Pacific. Oh god, this spud child is going to get murdered. His grandma's going to sob at his funeral back in Staten. God, that dropkick did literally nothing. Winner by his opponent dying: Wardlow.

Kingston's family. Yes, more putting women in factions.

Full disclosure, from about this point the show had lost my full attention. Too many matches.

15) Sean Dean vs Matt Sydal. I'm still not sure I get Matt Sydal. He's talented, obviously, but what's he actually doing here? Match was pretty good I suppose.

16) Rey Fenix vs Sonny Kiss. Joey looking pretty stylish honestly. Lots of fun flippy stuff here. Rey Fenix is genuinely one of the best on the planet Sonny is improving but he wisely lets Sonny drive. Sonny has great poise, and is becoming more fluid with his transitions all the time. The finish was inevitable but the journey was fun.

Overall there was too much show in this show but it was basically all good. Standouts were Sonny / Fenix, Jungle Boy / KTB, and Butcher & Blade versus Pillman and Garrison.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Here's a fun game:

using only people who appear on Dark but aren't signed, build a roster. Should include a world champ, TV champ, tag champs, and women's champ, plus contenders for those titles. (I'll say anyone who is regularly appearing on AEW programming as something other than an extra, like Red Velvet, counts as probably signed) My attempt:

World champ: "The Captain" Shawn Dean. Fired up straight-arrow babyface.
Number one contender: Aaron Solow. Cocky, slightly sleazy heel in a Switchblade mold.

TV champ: KTB. Dominant monster heel.
Number one contender: Lee Johnson. White meat babyface with the skills and a lion heart.

Tag champs: Blonde Ambition (Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman Jr). Absolutely classic pretty boy babyfaces in the Rockers mold.
Number one contenders: The Titans (M'Badu and Cezar Bononi). Dominant strong-guy bullies.

Women's champ: "The King" KiLynn King. The high water mark of the division. (yes, I know I'm breaking my "probably signed" rule here)
Number one contender: Kenzie Page. The fresh faced young lion.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

D3 for all belts, imho.

only if he wears his rome hat

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

oh but seriously I posted:

they have 40 white guys what can do flips

He's Puerto Rican.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Oh hey, Anthony Ogogo is allowed in the country, he has a very BBC Sports voice.

1) Top Flight vs Grayson and Uno. Love Top Flight's look. They have some neat double team moves too. Stu Grayson continues to be the most slept-on guy in AEW. Top Flight really look like they belong in the ring. This isn't the longest match but it's action all the way through. AEW definitely should take a look at these guys.

Ogogo is pretty good on commentary thus far. Needs polishing but he's confident and usually has something to say.

2) VSK vs Ricky Starks. VSK off to a hot start. Obviously this is a Starks showcase but VSK definitely has something. Christ, Starks is just so picture perfect on some stuff. I'd like to have seen more from VSK here

Eddie Kingston and the Bunny promo. The "I just got bored" part works as justification for Bunny being back with b&b

3) Lee Johnson vs Matty Sydal. Does Johnson have new music? Sydal is very talented but I'm still not sure why he's here. Match is just great, Johnson keeps up with Sydal throughout and nails some great looking stuff as the match goes on. Ogogo feels like he's warmed up on commentary, and was having fun.

4) Hikaru Shida vs Leyla Hirsch. There is something that just feels so RIGHT about Hirsch in an AEW ring. Shida will be defending the title at Full Gear against Insert Name Here! Wow, that early headlock from Hirsch is great. Sightly worrying spot where the ref checks on Hirsch. Nice strike exchange between them too. Someone in the thread said to put Hirsch in a match with John Silver, and I have great news for you... Some superb submission work here. This is a really good match and very different from a usual Shida match. Miro really added to it with his subtle rooting for Hirsch.

QT promo about the Bunny. He and Dustin are a bit mumble mouthed here. Give me a B&B/Nightmares match please.

5) Jurassic Express vs Jersey Muscle and Danny Limelight. Limelight is one to watch, he has been superb in NJPW Strong. Limelight has some beautiful finesse to his moves. He and Jungle Boy look great together. Jersey Muscle have a good look, they remind me of Team Angle back in the day. This is a fun multi-man, nothing technically astounding but all very watchable. Limelight has some real pyrotechnic high flying spots. Launching Marko for a flying yoshitonic was awesome. Really fun match.

6) SCU vs TH2. These guys have grown on me so much on Dark. Letting Angelico lean into the submissions stuff really works. Classic SCU lineup. I feel like SCU are going to win but TH2 deserve to. Takes a while for these teams to mesh, and while they're working on it Taz and Miro basically do a podcast. I love how TH2 move as a team. Really smooth match until the end, which was just a dog's dinner. Post-match beat down was good. Let's do this again on Dynamite.

7) Anna Jay vs Katalina Perez. Brandi out on commentary. That sure is a look for Katalina Perez. Ooh, great new ring gear for Anna. Thanks for acknowledging John Silver's hunkiness, Brandi. gently caress, that back kick from Anna was devastating. Anna has improved fast. Haven't seen much from Perez so far. She's competent but not spectacular. Queenslayer for a quick win but a solid outing for Anna.

8) Peter Avalon vs Brandon Cutler. The real main event. No count out, no DQ. Leva looks so sad. "For the love of God, this contest is scheduled for one fall". Cutler starts HOT in this match. It really can't be overstated how good both of these guys are. Avalon goes hardcore early. I love the commitment to giving us a PPV quality match here. A proper garbage can spot! Leva just looks so sad and awkward. Jesus, that close backdrop through the table could have gone SO wrong. "Some people like PHYSICAL MEDIA!". Cutler empties a dice bag like thumbtacks, I love it! YES! LEAVE HIM BATES! This match pays off everything it sets up. Bucks are finally out for their friend! CUTLER WINS! I'm very satisfied with this. 1-25-2. Genuine feel good moment.

9) Best Friends vs Max Caster and Anthony Bowens. Caster with a mic. Well, his name's Max Caster and he's here to say, this would work much better with a backbeat, 'kay? They could workshop this into something pretty easily. Bowens and Caster are a smooth team together. Caster's reversal of a swinging DDT was really good. People sleep on Trent's explosive power.

Backstage with Scorpio Sky. OK, the wrecked room is interesting.

10) Fuego Del Sol vs Brian Cage. Rip in peace Fuego. Ricky Starks on commentary. Great innovative moveset from Cage, and I'm glad they give Fuego a bit of shine before his murder.

11) 10 vs Sean Maluta. Notice that Reynolds doesn't come out here, presumably recovering from the injury on Dynamite. 10's new mask has a strong Hallowicked vibe. Maluta has some solid strikes. Short but hard hitting match. I sort of love that 10's finisher is just a regular move hit ludicrously hard. Love 5 and 10's double team finisher.

12) Ivelisse and Diamante vs KiLynn King and Savannah Evans. LOVE Evans' look. The MMA styling really works. Nice synchronised offense to start. Ivelisse literally having to climb Savannah Evans was fun. I could get behind a twin towers team in the women's division. Some really good back and forth as Evans gets mobbed, then a great hot tag to King. End was a bit out of nowhere, but this was enjoyable.

13) Aaron Solow vs Sonny Kiss. I like Sonny's semi casual look here. Solow plays heel very effectively. It's amazing to compare Sonny now to Sonny even six months ago. His strikes are amazing, he moves through a match so much more smoothly. He's getting it and he's getting great. Solow's another guy who could slot straight into the mid card if you needed him to. Solid short match.

And then Archer comes out to murder everyone. Jake gives a weird but solid promo. Archer cuts a great one of his own.

14) Will Hobbs vs Nick Comoroto. Attack of the beef. Hot start from Comoroto but Hobbs shuts him down fast. Love his frog splash, very Eddy like.

15) Darby Allin vs Alex Chamberlain. Wideboi enters the ring. Match isn't much, but Chamberlain playing possum was good. I agree with Taz that Ricky should make more videos. Chamberlain shapes up as a good bullying indie heel, letting Darby fight from underneath coffin drop on the guy in the ropes was good. Match ends the way one would expect.

Starks comes out with murder in mind. Cage out too, and we build further towards Stark and Cage vs Hobbs and Allin.

This was two decent shows welded together. Everything up to Cutler / Avalon was Dark 1. Everything after was Dark 2. Seen as that, enjoyable, but a bit of a forced march when taken all together.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

rantmo posted:

I was getting strong Premiere League commentary vibes from him and it was absolutely working for me.

"Uuuuuuuuunbelievable, Taz"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"Well, Brian. I hit my opponent, first time, and there he was lying flat on the canvas."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

my favorite thing about dark is that they're allowed to just experiment wholesale with the commentary. i really enjoy listening to the stream of consciousness calls and the commentators just having fun playin it loose. its a major part of why i loved pwg.

Miro especially was having so much fun once he loosened up. His calls in the Hirsch / Shida match were great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Trying to drown out the world. Time for wrestling.

Anthony Ogogo back on commentary. I do enjoy his cadence.

1) Bshp King vs Darby Allin. Darby going for a David vs Goliath match. King plays his role well. King has skills, but I think he would need some seasoning before being ready for prime time. Okay match, but not notable.

2) Leyla Hirsch and Elayna Black vs Brandi Rhodes and Red Velvet. Interesting that this must have been recorded before the Hirsch / Deeb match. Red Velvet has some really solid confidence here, which I like. Elayna Black's elevated corner knee strike is a very decent move. Hirsch has such great strikes. This is a pretty good short tag match. Red Velvet held her own for her team and Brandi didn’t look bad coming in as the superstar at the end. Good match, kind of wanted Red Velvet to get the pin.

3) Jurassic Express vs Danny Limelight and KC Navarro. Continue to be a big Danny Limelight fan. KC Navarro has a good pretty-boy look. Limelight and Jungle Boy have good chemistry, wouldn't mind seeing the two of them go one on one. Navarro is a pretty good comedy bumper. The match is a bit scrappy. Love the Jurassic Express delayed senton. Okay match, want to see more of Danny Limelight

4) Frankie Kazarian vs Ryzin. Ryzin always strikes me as a guy who is very much there to enhance rather than there as a prospect. He's good, but he's trying to make other people look good. Excalibur and Taz cracking themselves up with the Terra Ryzin joke was fun. Frankie Kazarian remains one of the secret weapons of AEW. Deeply skillful, can have a good match with anyone.

Kaz interview post-match. And we get TH2 out to beat him up. Nice little story being built here. I dig it.

5) Dave Dutra vs Ricky Starks. I'm pretty sure I fought this guy in Skyrim a couple of times. Starks continues to look great. Ricky flirting with MJF's former campaign manager was fun. Dutra clearly has some skills but isn't given a chance to show them. Smooth, easy win from Starks.

6) Sean Maluta and Alex Chamberlain versus Griff Garrison and Brian Pillman. Chamberlain is really staggeringly generic. Garrison as always is a good athletic 80s style big guy. I'd put him above Pillman, who is certainly not bad but feels like he has a ceiling. While he's the smallest guy in the match, I'm impressed by Maluta's strikes here, but he needs to string things together more smoothly. The spot where Pillman ducks out of the corner and Maluta lands with nobody home and looks from side to side while cursing was fun.

No time to celebrate for Garrison and Pillman as Archer comes out to murder everyone. And we get to hear how horny Jake Roberts is for Lance Archer. Love them keeping the heat on Eddie Kingston vs Archer like this. Is this the first Dylan Thomas promo in AEW?

7) Aaron Solow and Angel Fashion vs The Acclaim. Very fond of Fashion and Solow's look as a team. OK, they fixed the Caster bit and gave him a beat. Suddenly it works. I'm presuming Caster and Bowens are a heel team, and they're really good fun to watch. Caster is no slouch, and Bowens is just simply good at everything. As an absolute sidebar I'm absolutely down with AEW having more prominent LGBT talent like Bowens. Fashion carries the brunt of this from his side and does a decent job, but I still want to see more of Solow. His hot tag towards the end was really good, lots of passion. The Cazadora Cutter from The Acclaim was great.

8) Alan Angels vs VSK. Hopefully we see more of VSK here. Love that 5 gets the full entourage treatment. Nice chain sequence between 5 and VSK at the start. I continue to love how explosive Alan Angels is for someone of smaller frame. I think he and Darby Allin could probably have a superb match. Really pretty snug uppercut from 5. The Uranage type move on the apron looked really good too. Enjoyable match.

Is Peter Avalon doing a The Continental gimmick? Love it. I love that the fake champagne is always, always water. This was fun.

9) Butcher and the Blade versus Jersey Muscle. Oh hey, do you know what happens to muscle if a butcher cuts it with a blade? Butcher and Blade do the needful and just obliterate their opponents. I like the sight of heel Allie in fell effect again. She's got the stylings of it now much better than she did before. This is rightfully over pretty quickly. Jersey Muscle are cooked.

Natural Nightmares out to continue their feud. Cool.

10) D3 vs Will Hobbs. D3 in his Rome hat, continuing to look like a guy selling MDMA from his Vespa. Hobbs looking great as usual. The running corner slams are superb. Not so much a match as a mugging, but a lot of fun.

I have to say, I'm really not that interested in the Allin & Hobbs vs Cage and Starks match. They keep pushing it in the exact same way week after week.

11) Baron Black and Nick Comoroto vs Uno and Grayson. Nick Comoroto is definitely from an Asterix cartoon. Very good fun competitor. Favourite thing about Uno and Grayson coming out with the full Dark Order is Anna Jay giving Stu the side-eye. I like Comoroto reaching out to try and swipe Grayson almost casually like a cat. Grayson's delayed senton on the ropes is just ridiculous. Baron Black is pretty good, but the standout on the enhancement side is still Comoroto, who has distinct skills and a look that just draws the eye. I liked the image of Comoroto and Black setting up double teams but not having the cohesion to land them just yet. Enjoyed this match.

12) The Captain Shawn Dean, Cesar Bononi, and Fuego Del Sol versus 3, 10, and Colt Cabana. I see we have the tag randomiser on today. I want a Silver / Bononi singles match. Muscle baby with the taunts early. Love it. Fuego goes again for the Tornado DDT and misses. Cody will be mad. Shawn Dean is really impressive. Now that 10 has found his feet, he's a pretty decent power guy, but all eyes were on Silver in this match.

13) Lei'd Tapa vs KiLynn King. Tapa has a good intimidating ring presence. Every week King looks better in the ring. This is a dynamic power match from the start. Tapa needs to tighten up a bit but she and King are both throwing bombs with their strikes. The match lacks a little direction. Good looking frog splash gets King her first win. Nice to see some people graduate with their first wins tonight.

14) Chaos Project vs Private Party. Snakem'n and Pointm'n out in coordinated gear. Kassidy was the weak link in Private Party before now, but he's smooth and skilled here. As always, Luther benefits from being in a tag, and Serpentico is a really fun veteran. Absolutely loved Serpentico's weaponised streamers. This is a surprisingly competitive match, lots of fun back and forth action. Quen's hot tag is great too.

15) Sammy Guevara vs Lee Johnson. Been looking forward to this one. Johnson had a great match when they let him shine against Ben Carter. Hopefully we'll see more of that here. Quick scrabbling chain wrestling to start. Lots of very even dynamic stuff. And some rather bad breakdancing. Sammy plays bully here well, and Lee has changed up his lionheart routine to be a bit more hard hitting. His discus clothesline looks great and some of the forearm strikes he was throwing were really brutal. And his corkscrew tope was awesome. I love the story that it's not Johnson's skills letting him down but his timing. Sammy needs to use that pounce trigger more. Ending is a fun "gently caress you" to Matt Hardy. Great, great match.

A long show, and one I couldn't fully engage with, but there were some really exceptional matches on here.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

with her height and strength, you could give King a power move as a finisher for smaller opponents and then a strike for bigger ones.

EDIT: according to a bio on another company she works for, she has the shining wizard and the powerbomb as finishers. That would work if she does them well enough.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 4, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Cutler should go to through all of his twenty whatever losses and get all his wins back (except havok I guess since he no longer exists)

Ending by absolutely obliterating MJF for the title in two years time at a special AEW live event from DragonCon.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Commentary is Anthony a-go-go tonight

1) Tesha Price vs Big Swole. Price has a good look, let's see if she has more than that. Technical start, which breaks down nicely when Tesha lands a cheeky slap. Match gets a bit scrappy, but I didn't see anything from Price that looked bad. Swole's upped her technical skills, but that tiger driver needs work.

2) Christopher Daniels vs Matt Sydal. I like the acknowledgement of their history. Sydal points at his head, Chaos Project membership confirmed. I sort of appreciate that Sydal has worked with the fact that there's a billion flippy dudes now and broadened and nuanced what he does. Love seeing Daniels get some submission stuff in too. If they see a future for Sydal in AEW as more than just an attraction, I think he'd pair very well with TH2 as a stable. TH3: Team Synthetic Weed. The ending is nicely nuanced

3) Brandon Cutler vs Michael Nakazawa. Cutler's ring gear remains absolutely awesome. He looks more confident than before. Octagon ball. This match is a good display of Cutler overcoming his greatest enemy, underconfidence. Loved the oily ropes spot where Brandon just goes round to another side. Well deserved win for Big Bran.

Frankie Kazarian promo where he says the things wrestlers say.

4) Griff Garrison vs Ariel Dominguez. Like the Dominguez fighter presentation. Griff needs new music now he's moving into the win column. The height difference here is hilarious. Is this a Marko Stunt warm-up? Griff is in the driving seat here, and as a result the match is pretty simple but not bad.

I LOVED Griff firing off shots on Archer. Great lion hearted babyface spot.

5) Sean Maluta and Ryzin vs Uno and Grayson. It's so nice that they spring for the time machine to keep bringing Ryzin here from 2003. Nice dynamic tag match. Grayson is just so superb at basically everything he does. Very much some guys just being fed to Uno and Grayson but this was fun.

6) Ricky Starks vs someone called Trevor. This match was over before I finished making coffee. Trevor needs to wear something under his trunks

7) Lee Johnson vs Chuck Taylor. Love Lee's copper tights. Nice little match, which is clearly an attempt to season up Lee quickly. Taylor was in control but Johnson was being given room to do some stuff which is good. Johnson is technically sound, but needs to go hard on the character. Young Lion works for a while but eventually you need more. God, that missile dropkick into tope combination absolutely rules. High five! Good match, now let's get to work, Lee.

Fun show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Ricky Starks on commentary. His shirt is AWOL.

1) TNT vs Chaos Project. Getting some strong GoD vibes from TNT. I think Luther is finally loosening up and getting into his tag team role. He's sincerely limited, but if he's just used for weird poo poo he's actually okay. The bit where Serpentico was refusing to go to the top rope was fun. I'm still waiting for more from TNT. The crawl to the corner was not good. There's more to see here and I look forward to it.

2) The Acclaimed vs Louie Valle and Justin Blax. Create-a-wrestler-rear end gear going on here. Bowens and Caster look great. Having the beat come out of their theme works great. Confident and fun tag work from The Acclaimed. Starting these guys off as heels works well for getting them over quickly, but there is some powerful face energy waiting to come out here.

3) Top Flight vs Baron Black and Frankie Thomas. Baron Black has a king hat. Frankie Thomas is hang dog as hell. Top Flight come out looking like signed guys. Top Flight are smooth as hell and get huge air. I wonder if this is a test of their ability to run a match. If so, this looked a bit scruffy all over but not too bad. The standing Spanish fly was insane. The setup for the corner dropkick was indieriffic but this was fun.

Continental Peter Avalon having a private dinner in obviously an elevator was fun.

4) The Captain Shawn Dean and Adam Priest versus TH2. New gear for Shawn Dean, looks like. Dean is such a good hand, everyone looks good against him because he knows how to enhance. That lungblower move Dean has is a killer. Fun match, with TH2 looking effective and Dean showing some skills. Adam Priest was theoretically also in this match.

5) Ashton Starr and David Ali vs LUCHA BROS, MEXI KINGS, ZERO MIEDO, MEET YOU IN THE RING. Starr's look is wild. This is an absolute poo poo kicking, which is fun.

6) Dani Jordyn vs Leva Bates. Give Jordyn 30 seconds in on video before the match to walk us through each entry in the burn book. Like Leva's new music. Fun character work, would be even more fun if we could see the book. The match will trouble no five star lists, but it's fun. Leva gets a singles win, which is nice.

7) Fuego Del Sol vs Alan 5 Angels. Fuego has become a favourite of mine largely through Sammy's vlog. Whoo! Fast start! Angels is such a solid junior heavyweight fightyguy. The Tornado DDT gag is great. Fuego now has the best losing streak in wrestling.

8) Dreamgirl Ellie and Jennacide vs Las Sicarias. Absolutely love the look of Ellie and Jenna. 80s Joshi as hell. Jenna has some real power. We need another AEW women's division hoss. This is a fun match. Ellie and Jenna clearly have skills and I'd like to see them back. A David / Goliath match with Jenna and Red Velvet could be fun.

9) Bad Romance vs Jurassic Express. Marko Stunt in Slap Shot glasses. Turns out that he's not illiterate. This match is as wild and fun as you might expect. Oof, that stuff on the floor was incredibly awkward. Overall a good match but I was hoping for great.

Not a bad show, and some solid enhancement wins. Sign Jenna and Ellie.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

The trick is to do that really early in a match while he still has some gas in the tank. Fun match, though. Pointm'n and Snakem'n are figuring their team identity out and doing some cool, unique stuff.

edit: it also helps that it's November, so it's not 90 degrees out and humid as gently caress during tapings.

We're in the narrow Goldilocks zone between "it was too hot and Luther got gassed" and "it was too cold and Luther got arthritis"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

hooman posted:

I'm extremely behind in dark but I just saw Caster rapping with the backing music and man that ruled.

such a small tweak but it really fixes it.

Next step is letting him and Shook Crew do proper callout videos.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the baby steps towards making Dark a real show continue

(which is going to piss off some people I know who are Dynamite-only)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Ooh, new title sequence.

Apparently there's a storm underway.

1) Bshp King, Joey O'Riley, and Shawn Maluta vs the Gunn Club. First look at Youngest Gunn. Colton is part of the Dark Order apparently. Colton got them longbois. Colton's also got okay fundamentals. Joey O'Riley looks like a leprechaun from a beer commercial about how New York leprechauns are hard bastards. This match is very sloppy, but not boring. Quick Draw remains the worst finisher in AEW.

Storytime with Jake and Lance. Goddamn, Lance is a great promo. Give him someone to feud with, goddamn.

2) Travis Titan vs Ricky Starks. This is some next gen scrub ring gear. Starks is such a total package, to the point where I worry if he gets in his own way sometimes. Ogogo stealths in on commentary, hi Anthony! Travis Titan is perfectly competent but there wasn't enough here to judge. I love Ricky's spear.

3) Joey Janela vs Mark O'Stunt. Yeah, Sonny's butt has that effect on everyone, Joey. This could be a fun GCW match. Now just what the gently caress is this music? I am having a really good time with this dumb match. Janela's spinning suplex is a lot of fun.

The waiting Room. Love the set here. So many pictures of Toney. Love the bit with the Bucks book. "get your copy now, I'm not sure where". Britt is doing a good job, but needs to tighten up just a bit. Angelico blanking Britt on the fist bump ruled. "Brian Pissing Pillman Jr".

This is a very solid setup. It works on Dark but you could put this straight onto Dynamite with some tightening.

4) Frankie Kazarian vs Griff Garrison. This could be great. Starts off with some very solid chain wrestling. I knew Kaz had these skills but it's fun to see them from Garrison. Very enjoyable back and forth match. If you can hang with Kaz, you've got something.

5) Rahne Victoria vs Penelope Ford. Less goth and more Amateur Disney On Ice. This is a fairly straightforward match, but Ford has improved in the driving seat. It is clearly pissing it down during this match. Scruffy ending, but this was fine.

6) Ryzin vs Brandon Cutler. I continue to love Ryzin's 2004 indie gear. This is bubbly and high energy to start. Love Cutler's diving leg drop. This is a fun match and I wish it had a hot crowd. Cutler fucks up the huricanrana, but this is overall fun.

7) Leyla Hirsch vs Tesha Price. Tesha is dressed like a mall store fashion model. Hirsch is dressed like she's going to loving murder you. Love Hirsch's swagger. This is a fun hard hitting technical match. Hirsch is laying in those corner elbows brutally. Good combination of swagger and getting too cocky. Price kind of hosed up whatever she was trying in the corner. Good match and definitive win for Hirsch.

8) TNT vs Jurassic Express nice, dynamic start. TNT are impressing me so far. They hit hard, their stuff looks good, they sell well. I don't know if we need more tag teams, but they could do a lot worse than these guys.

9) the Acclaimed vs D3 and Angel Fashion. Rome hat. Trojans are also Greek, Taz. Max lost the facial hair. The line about couldn't get booked for a portrait of your family was awesome. gently caress, the Acclaimed are such a fun team. Get them on Dynamite against someone fun. They're working heel but you could put them against anyone and they'd have fun. It also helps that Bowens is an exceptionally handsome man.

10) Alex Garcia vs Ivelisse. Some fun stuff to start, albeit a bit clunky. Ricky's on commentary for this one? Hi, Ricky I guess. This match is a bit of a mess. Ivelisse was bumping for lariats that never happened.

11) Thunder Rosa vs Lindsay Snow. Not here for white people dreads, but I am here for Rosa's purple gear. Good strikes from Snow here. I love Rosa's submissions. Hell of a corner dropkick from Rosa there. And the Thunder Driver is just DEADLY. Fun match.

Continental Peter Avalon is awesome. I really want them to have him eventually meet Walken.

12) Big Swole vs KiLynn King. Love King's new ring jacket. Swole. Swole. Love the ring spill that keeps the lock up together. Don't talk about crazy women, Taz. This is better than a standard Swole match. Love how into it King gets. This is a very balanced match, lots of fun back and forth. Swole wins with the cloverleaf but had to fight for it. (Swole fell over a bit)

Taz is Ricky's favourite dude. Aww. Darby and Cage out. Cody out with his Miami Vice shirt. OK, sure.

Third time tonight for the Bubbly ad. Third time tonight for me mishearing Santana's line as "dat rear end, yo"

13) Jack Evans vs Christopher Daniels. God, this match is fun. Evans is so unorthodox, and Daniels is enough of a veteran to work with anyone or anything. The amount to which Daniels can still go at 50 is just wonderful. Loved this match.

Overall a decent show with a couple of outstanding matches.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Mother of God, this show is nearly 3 hours long

1) Vypress vs Big Swole. Like Vypress's look. Swole. Swole. Nice exchange of locks to start. Couple of nice misdirection spots, and I loved the hair spot on the ropes. I'd really like to see Swole improve her strikes. She has good kicks, but we kept seeing her get into a fighting stance, then shove someone when I expected her to deliver a strike.

2) Lee Johnson and Aaron Solow vs 3 and 4. Alex Reynolds got them long bois. This match was just a wild pleasure. Four very good guys just doing athletic stuff all over the place. I'm presuming Solow is on some kind of a Pay To Appear deal, but they could really use him in a junior heavyweight role

Leva promo. Kind of fun. Liked the deliberate awkward moment.

3) Michael Nakazawa vs Trent? This is less a match and more a lampshade hanging continuity moment. Lots of Yano spots with Nakazawa. The concept of the front of the rear end area is incredible. Nipple Jones. Taz just entirely losing it at the baby oil sequence was superb. And after that it becomes basically a fun DDT match. Greg deservedly won, but this was fun.

4) Red Velvet vs Tesha Price. I dig Tesha's look. The grey jacket works in a weird way. Red Velvet as always looks fantastic. This match wasn't too long, but it was pretty good fun, and a good display of Red Velvet running a match.

Shawn Spears exists I guess. Not a bad promo but it didn't really forward anything.

Lance Archer promo. Good but a bit directionless.

5) VSK and Baron Black vs Private Party. Baron Black is the only person in this match who we're sure who he is and don't need to check. I like Private Party's hi-viz gear. VSK is fun but he's a bit Generic Indie Guy at this point. I'd like to see more character. Baron Black feels a bit sluggish throughout this match. Not bad, but not special.

6) KiLynn King vs Rache Chanel. One of the best Dark women's wrestlers vs one of the worst. Chanel isn't terrible here but boy is she nothing great. King has some good dynamic moves and continues to show great character. Really beautiful release German suplex there. Dominant finish. Kingdom Falls feels a lot more appropriate than her (admittedly pretty good) frog splash.

7) Sammy Guevara vs Marko Stunt. This match feels like it's taking place in Sammys vlog continuity. Left in a basket on the doorstep of the jungle. These silly fuckers are killing me. This is a great bullying match. Sammy plays Teen Movie Jerk perfectly and Marko is able to lionheart very well. Fun match, and very good Sammy promo at the end. He always manages to find the space to sound cocky and ambitious while backing it up, but still being heelish.

8) Dreamgirl Ellie vs Penelope Ford. Ellie's gear here is better than the Super Saiyan outfit she had earlier. I continue to love that Kip Sabian valets for Penelope. Ellie looks good but her strikes are very light. She needs to lean in on those or it looks like she's only tapping Ford. Not a bad match, and Ford continues to get better, but it all felt a bit light touch.

9) Lady Frost and Jenna vs Ivelisse and Diamante. I love costume wrestlers. Fan of Lady Frost from the indies too. Great hoss action from Jenna to start with, just no selling that arm drag. Really excellent kicks from Lady Frost. Decent tag as it goes. Lots of quick character work from Frost and Jenna, meaning you care about them quickly. Jenna's power stuff is very nicely done, and Frost is quick in a very appealing way. Match ends as it was going to end, but I'd like to see both Jenna and Ellie back.

10) Adam Priest vs Brandon Cutler. Priest sure is a guy who is participating in this match. Hot Streak Cutler is so much fun now. Once he's got some wins strung together I'd like to see him move up to a lower midcard program against someone like Kip Sabian (tabletop vs videogame rivalry?). Adam Priest is perfectly competent as a opponent, but he just feels so generic. I think part of it is the Jamie Noble Boy tights.

The Waiting Room. Reba's Hostage Face when she's laughing is superb. I loved the "I would never want to call you by the wrong name, right Reba?" gag. For someone doing this segment in her second language, Tay did a pretty good job.

Caster and Bowens come out. God, he is so good at this freestyling stuff.

This was a silly segment but very nicely put together

11) Large Adult Gunns versus KTB, Seth Gargis, and Cezar Bononi. I found it tough to get into this match, honestly. I like KTB and want to see him do more, but I don't care about any of the Gunns

12) Jurassic Express vs Panda X-Press. Comedy match time. This is pretty decent fun, I loved the double belly spot. Super Panda has a pretty good frog splash.

13) TH2 vs Garrison and Pillman. Long Boi Angelico ready for his match. TH2 are such a cohesive tag team. They each have things they're good at and jump into their roles really naturally. Garrison and Pillman were perfectly good foils, but this match wasn't really about them. Nice to see Top Flight out at the end.

14) Alex Chamberlain and Damian Fenrir versus The Acclaimed. Two pretty generic bad guys. Caster[s rap here was good but not at the level of his earlier work. Fenrir has a pretty decent standing dropkick. Love a bunch of the Acclaimed double teams. Holy christ, this is the fourteenth match of the show. Why did Max Caster kiss that guy's hand after pinning him?

15) Matt Sydal vs Alan Angels. This could be fun. I'm okay with Matt Sydal now. Took me a while, but he's a really good midcard scaffold. Put him against more prominent guys to give them a dominant win against a credible opponent. Put him against up and coming guys so they can stand toe to toe with a veteran. Angels has such good strikes, even as transitional moves. I love him in AEW but I kind of want to see him go to Japan and be a super junior strong style kicking machine. This is probably my favourite match of the night so far.

16) Fuego Del Sol vs Pretty Peter Avalon. Avalon going all Vacation Peter on us. Remarkably technical start. This whole match is fun as we get two different undercard stories combine. Fuego just can't get that tornado DDT, but Peter can get the win. Sure thing.

17) Chaos Project vs Bad Romance vs Dark Order. I am hyped for a Chaos Project match. Imagine that. By all rights this is Dark Order's to lose, but we'll see how that goes. Lots of chaos early on. This is a really fun three way tag. Luther still isn't able to do all that much in the ring, but he's still fun to watch. Enjoyed this a lot, great finish from Uno and Grayson. Nice big match feel with the ending.

holy crap that was nearly 3 hours

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

They're trying things and getting better. And frankly that's all I can ask.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

Anthony Ogogo on commentary again. Cool. He is getting good at this.

1) KTB versus Shawn Spears. I really want to see KTB refined a bit more. He's been good, but I want him to be more monstrous. Gee, I wonder if Shawn Spears is going to use a loaded glove in this match. God, I wish the business between Spears and Sky wasn't far from over with. I do quite like Sky throwing Spears off his game though. Okay, I did not expect Sky to attack KTB. Interesting.

2) Damian Fenrir vs Ricky Starks. Fenrir has a good look. If anything he's got the muscle edge on Starks, which is saying something. I love Starks' cocky ring work. Heeling even in small motions. Fenrir has a good right hand, but this was never in doubt. Fun. Would like to see more from Fenrir.

3) Brandon Cutler vs Danny Limelight. Big Limelight fan from NJPW Strong. Very fond of the riffing from commentary. Very athletic, almost gymnastic match here, Limelight is working heel here which fits his current New Japan work. Armbar into powerbomb was a good spot. This match is VERY back and forth. Really enjoyed it.

4) Jon Cruz vs Peter Avalon. I know this guy from somewhere. Some kind of project he was working on... something nice about seeing two old hands just go at it. This was fun, and I'm glad to see Cruz double his paycheck.

5) Tesha Price vs Shanna. Going to try and set aside the ways Shanna has awful opinions and judge her on ring work. She starts pretty quick and aggressive.,but there's some rust here. I liked seeing Price get some aggressive offense in. This is a pretty good match. I enjoy finally seeing some more from Tesha Price and I can't deny Shanna's skills. Not a bad match at all. Also gently caress fascists and islamophobes and especially islamophobic fascists.

I would also leave if Marvez tried to talk to me

6) Katalina Perez vs KiLynn King. Queenpin vs King. King is getting pretty good at driving a match. Perez seemed better this time than last. King's middle rope missile dropkick is superb. Ending was a bit rough but this was good.

7) Adam Priest and Shawn Maluta vs Best Friends. Maluta is developing nicely. I still haven't seen much memorable from Priest, but this was a fun tag squash match.

8) Leva Bates vs Alex Gracia. I love Leva's new music. Very good fit for her. Incidentally, Leva's other book is about Korean boy band NCT. Leva is never going to be Shida level as a wrestler, and she goes to the ragdoll sell too often, but she has so much character that I don't mind. Gracia hasn't had a chance to show much. Match was only okay.

9) Angel Fashion, VSK, and Sean Donovan vs Large Adult Gunns. I loved the Taz entrance. Did VSK beat himself up before the bell? I hope Austin Gunn is really awesome at whatever he does backstage because he is a comprehensive failson as a wrestler. I don't mind Colton, though. Billy, stop being creepy with Aubrey.

10) Aaron Solow vs Matt Sydal. This could be fun. Sydal has grown on me and I always liked Solow. I like seeing a bit of aggression from Solow, who works heel brilliantly. Lots of good athletic work here, and nice to see Solow kick out of some serious Sydal offense. This was pretty good fun.

11) Stu Grayson and Evil Uno vs Baron Black and Fuego Del Sol. I'm telling you, if there were audiences, Fuego would be over as hell just based on Sammy's vlog. Woah, Fuego's spinning headscissors was pretty good. Here's your occasional reminder that Uno and Grayson are one of the best tag teams in any company. Is Starks drunk? Grayson is legit an amazing bumper. Uno just became the biggest heel in wrestling by blocking the Tornado DDT.

12) Ryzin and Cezar Bononi vs Team Hair. After that Bononi article this week I want him to win and be given all the titles and a free house. He has "no time, bro" in Portuguese on his butt. I like the Bononi / Ryzin misfit team. This was fun.

13) Lindsay Snow vs Ivelisse. Snow has such a great look. This match goes hard from the start. Could have been longer, and there were points where Ivelisse just didn't seem to care, but this wasn't bad.

14) George South Jr and Bobby Wayward vs The Acclaimed. Only an okay rap to start with. George South Jr has a body like a cannellini bean. Wayward got them Abdullah The Butcher bois. This is a pretty good fun rear end kicking. Acclaimed are pretty flawless.

15) Chaos Project vs Alex Chamberlain and Seth Gargis. Gargis has a good look. The lumberjack shirt and cycle shorts pair well. Chaos Project whip rear end. I'm sure I've seen that Serpentico somewhere before... The start of this was super good fun. I like Chaos Project because it's like if an orc and a kobold became friends. For a guy with the natural mobility of a Maytag twin tub washer dryer, Luther has a pretty good dropkick. Every Luther / Serpentico double team is simultaneously awesome and utterly hilarious. Seth Gargis is a pretty impressive oaf. This was fun.

16) Lady Frost vs Red Velvet. New gear for Red? Lady Frost has exceptional poise. Each of her moves feels very exact and precise. This match is really pretty good. Velvet looked strong without making Frost look weak.

17) 5 and 10 vs Bad Romance vs Jurassic Express. These three team tags are always fun, and the division is so strong there's always something going on. The closed captioning just referred to "Lucha Soros". Which is fun. I love some of the Five And Dime tag combinations. This is the perfect card position for Janela. Credible, fun, not hurt by a loss. You could build a division around just the guys in this match. Ten throwing 5 at Janela for a DDT was awesome. This match deserved an audience.

I enjoyed this show. Some throwaway matches, but Chaos Project, Cake Frosting, and the insane three way match made for a great ending.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Darkthoughts

1) Sotheara Chuun vs Ricky Starks. Sotheara Chuun looks like a nice boy. Hobbs at ringside looks like he's ready to gently caress people up. I enjoyed Starks going for a Stinger Splash. Chuun has something but it needs to develop. Decent match, great Starks shirt.

2) Baron Black vs Brandon Cutler. I keep waiting for Baron Black to break out. He's clearly talented, but I couldn't tell you one thing he does in the ring. Black and Cutler's ring gear coordinate. Ooh, some fun holds and reversals here. They're not quite connecting though. I like Cutler's springboard elbow. He should use that as a secondary finisher.

3) KiLynn King vs Hikaru Shida. King looks like she belongs here, which is good. Wow, King goes LOW on that knuckle lock. King gets some good moves in, but inevitably this is a Shida showcase. I do enjoy King's increased confidence. Loved the dodge of the running knee strike but nobody kicks out of the Falcon Arrow. Oh poo poo, ABADON. We get the necessary footage of Abadon hitting her finisher on Shida. Good match becomes good segment, give King something to do.

The Waiting Room. Loved Leyla in the crowd refusing to applaud. Love Reba's cue cards. Things are chaotic fun and then Scorpio Sky throws Spears THROUGH A WALL. okay, sure.

4) Jurassic Express vs "The Captain" Shawn Dean and Fuego Del Sol. Love Shawn's ring gear. Loved Jurassic Express discovering cameras. God, Jungle Boy is so incredibly good. The match is a little stilted, but there's lots of fun to be had here.

5) Leva Bates vs Skyler Moore. Thunder Rosa on commentary! Awesome! Moore looks good here, Leva looks like Leva here. Excalibur does some good feeding into stuff about Britt Baker. Commentary were paying about as much attention to the match as I was.

6) Brian Cage vs VSK. VSK vs Cage, if you weel. He has his flying boots on tonight. Lots of neat power moves and midair reversals. Match goes longer than I thought, and VSK looks pretty good in it, but the result is inevitable.

7) Louis Valle and Mike Magnum vs The Acclaimed. Rap was a bit of a stinker this week. Thankfully the match that followed is solid. Valle's missile dropkick looked at bit weird. The rack / dropkick spot was pretty awesome.

8) Anna Jay vs Dani Jordyn. I like that Jordyn is showing a lot more character these days. She's about to get murdered. Absolutely love Day Off Colt Cabana. "number 99 of the kids next door" was funny. This is a good match. Jordyn is kinetic and Jay is a killer. Ending is inevitable, but getting there was fun.

9) Bear Country vs Dark Order. Pretty Peter Avalon on commentary. They didn't let Bear Country use their bear trap masks. Thankfully. But they look like beasts. I want to watch Boulder and Grayson forever. Just power of one kind hitting power of another. Dark Order are one of the great tag teams of all time. OH poo poo! THAT CATCH OF STU WITH UNO ON BOULDER'S SHOULDERS! gently caress! and a running powerbomb of Grayson into Uno. drat, these guys look good. gently caress, that backbreaker from Grayson. This match was loving awesome.

Is Santana actually saying "dat rear end" during the Little Bit Of The Bubbly ad?

10) Ryzin and Sean Maluta vs Bad Romance. I love Ryzin's gear. Okay, what the gently caress was that Janela / Maluta bottom buckle move? That was insane. Bad Romance looked great here.

11) Tay Conti vs Freya States. Freya is physically formidable. If she can tighten the ring game she would be a great bully heel. Tay's look is fantastic tonight. Tay really laying in her strikes here. Match could use just a little smoothing, but everything both women were doing looked good. Jumping knee strike in the corner was fantastic. And while it took a moment to lock in, Tay's submission finisher was great.

We could use more multi-woman matches on Dynamite, to give more people visibility.

12) Danny Limelight vs Matt Sydal. I like Sydal now. He's a solid talent who is happy to wrestle. This match is really good. Just an excellent exchange from two talented junior heavyweights. Limelight is just so drat agile. The rope jump clothesline was outstanding. I liked this match a lot.

13) Kaci Lennox vs Ivelisse. Lennox has a good look, and potential but is fundamentally dominated here. The match is generally pretty good. Lennox has a few points where things don't quite come together, but her comeback offense is really solid. Ivelisse's finisher looked a bit weird, I couldn't quite tell who was meant to be in the hold.

14) Chaos Project vs Best Friends. Snakem'n and Pointm'n are the best. But perhaps not friends. This is wild in the best way. Trent's spear attempt that just shot past Luther who was standing there looked absolutely awesome. Weapontico continues to be the best spot. This is not, in technical terms, a great match, but it's incredibly good fun.

This was a fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Surely it's time to augment Dani Jordyn's character with a promo. She actually does a good job of getting the gimmick over with body language and mannerisms but it could really use her Regina George-ing it up on The Waiting Room or something.

Video package. Let her narrate the page from the burn book, complete with graphics in black and white and pink. Play it before her match.