Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Oh poo poo, Will Hobbs gonna get his first win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Is it weird I'm so psyched about Hobbs?

It is absolutely not, he's incredible. It was great seeing him in a competitive match, you can see where he's still a little green but with a few more reps, and the training AEW's got, he's set up to be a big loving deal.

Also, it's so hard to justify signing another white dude singles wrestler but that Ben Carter guy, him I'd like to see more of, that was impressive as gently caress.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Zombie Lemur posted:

-Weapon X is a nice move but the set up is too complicated, IMO.

I think Donati ended up slightly out of position at the start so Cage had to readjust because normally it's a much smoother and quicker setup. I think the camera angle was the wrong one to use for the impact too, it doesn't look as impressive when it's not straight-on.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

He did not because he was too busy giving his opponent a suplex flight.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Majinfoose posted:

I'm a Red Velvet mark.

She deserved to squash Brandi.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I think that might’ve been the best Pillman Jr. match I’ve seen. He works well as a babyface who takes a beating but can pull a fired up comeback.

Yeah I'm starting to come around on Pillman, I'm not familiar with his father so the legacy thing does nothing at all for me but he's actually pretty decent.

Carter/Johnson was just goddamn unreal and I'm really happy that Johnson finally got to show what he's got in the ring. They both deserve the #AllElite imprimatur after that. And while they've got Twitter open also give one to KiLynn King, goddamit.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Johnson's been floating around for long enough that's he's got to have some sort of contractual arrangement even if it's just a short-term deal but getting the #AllElite is definitely the top tier.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/12/06/anthony-bowens-indie-wrestling-bisexual

Article on Anthony Bowens, being proud to represent the LGBTQ community in wrestling

Bowens and I are (or were) represented by the same agency (different cities) that is a very strange thing to learn. Great episode all around, closest thing to a dud match was the opener which is to be expected when you have someone that green versus someone just not that great. I do like Kenzie's new color scheme though, much better than the pink.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The biggest thing I noticed with Kenzie is that each time she reversed an Irish whip her posture stayed rigid and she only moved her arms which looked really bad. Without some sort of pivot or step or twist of the hips, it just looks like choreography. She's got plenty of potential and she's all of, what, 19? Jobbing on Dark is probably the best place for her to be working right now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Billy can be a lot of fun to watch in the ring, but I'm so loving over watching Gunn Clubb matches. There's something undeniably sweet about Billy wrestling with his basically adequate son but it's not really compelling viewing. Save that for AEW Dark Dark.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Darkthoughts

Oh hey, Anthony Ogogo is allowed in the country, he has a very BBC Sports voice.

I was getting strong Premiere League commentary vibes from him and it was absolutely working for me.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Really happy that Elayna Black got some actual work in this time, but oh god she needs someone better than Brandi to work with, there was some real slop there.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

She's just so inconsistent, she's never brilliant but she's capable of decent, smooth matches one week and then the next she's sloppy and disconnected. She's got a great spear and a decent pump kick except when she doesn't. Her character is also maddeningly inconsistent. It's frustrating.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

In fairness, it's only her first win. I agree that the Frog Splash isn't an amazing finisher but I'm holding out hope that she'll get something more hoss-y.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Looks like she's got two matches on IWTV, I'll have to see if she wins either of them, and if so, what her finisher is.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well King's two matches on IWTV were both against Kaci Lennox, a comparably built opponent, and both were losses so no fisher to speak of. It sounds like she's got a running drop kick called the Crazy Train but she didn't land it. She had a pretty decent Flatliner and Side Slam and a promising Spinebuster that isn't quite ready for primetime yet but could probably get there with AEW's team. I feel like she could go either way with a finisher, strikes or slams, she's got the goods for both.

She also used to come to the ring with, and sometimes use as a weapon, a stuffed rabbit named Roger and holy poo poo am I glad that's not a thing anymore.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah it seems like she's moving that way which I am hype for. I'm hoping that when she gets her proper start on Dynamite she'll go 100% that way with a new tron and theme to match.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Procrastinator posted:

griff garrison is gonna get a singles win :unsmith:

Between that and Cutler getting win #2: Electric Boogaloo, I am very happy for tomorrow. Also it won't be a two and a half hour show, which is nice.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Wezlar posted:

Is Swoles gear new? Looks awesome

She had it a week or two ago. It's Ironheart and it's great.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

heartbreaking to learn that brian cage doesn't manscape

His facial hair suggests rather to the contrary.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Traps too big to take the Paradigm Shift or to groom.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Leva Bates has a more credible cross-face than Miro and that's delightful.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

smarxist posted:

it's awesome how many young poc you see competing in AEW, as well as wrestlers comfortable being out as LGBTQ, just a random thought that struck me watching dark

Yeah there were at least four queer performers, all of whom are BIPOC, on the card last night and it didn't come up because it's just an ordinary fact. Really awesome to see.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sonny, Diamante, Anthony Bowens, and Ashton Starr.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I wonder if Fuego is genuinely getting over enough that they're starting to sweat that they're actually going to have to sign him (and deal with all the cripplings that will come from his prolific use of the tornado DDT)?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Wezlar posted:

If he gets over I think they would probably be happy to sign him?

QT loving hates that guy.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It should also air 45 minutes after the scheduled time with no explanation.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gotta say, I really like Reynolds in the longboys.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

However good Shanna is in the ring, her personal politics are just not something I'll be able to look past but the upshot of that is for the first time the women's division is in a strong enough place that they don't really need her. I know they're not going to dump her or anything but it's nice to know that if she did slink off to some racist hole, we'd still be able to see really good women's wrestling (on Dark and one on Dynamite.)

Solow and Sydal was absolutely my MOTN, I was really lukewarm on Sydal but I've come around him and Solow is just plain good in the ring. Out of the ring, I'm really impressed with how far Ogogo has come on commentary, he really sounded loose and locked in with Taz and Excalibur's shenanigans and that was really encouraging, though I swill want them to hire Veda for Dark.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Sydal has honestly impressed the poo poo of me since his initial botch of the year candidate run in. Also he super needs to join Chaos Project, or they need to join him.

I think for me a big part of it has been his being a cool submission guy rather than a flippy man--not that I don't love flippy poo poo but we've got so many and of such quality that he didn't sound like he'd be appealing. Being a flippy guy from his feet who then does cool grappling is a great niche and it turns out he's really good there! I like seeing people be good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm going to watch Dark (tomorrow at work as is my custom) and only watch any relevant Impact clips on YouTube or wherever because Twitch is Amazon and I don't gently caress with them. Also Dark is, y'know, good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Decent matches this week, Dani Jordyn looked particularly good this outing both her offense and her selling looked markedly improved, but most critically it was a new high water mark for the commentary booth holy poo poo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah given that she's had, what, 60-90 minutes of matches in her entire career up to this point at absolute most, she's an absolute phenom. Personally, I think her striking is great and she's plenty fluid in the ring, she's just missing that little bit of flow between moves and moments that you can't really teach. This time next year, when her career will have literally more than doubled, I think she'll be about as complete a package as can be as a performer.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

ozymandius1024 posted:

That DDT with the salute gets me every time.

Whoever said they need to sub him in for Trent in Best Friends for the time being is right on.

The salute DDT is just so loving crisp, it's such a textbook signature wrester move in the absolute best way possible. I would love to see what he could do subbing (:chast2b:) substituting for Trent.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

Orange is probably getting that spot since he and Chuck are already a fun team, but I'd love to see the Captain hanging out more with them. I wonder what kind of weirdo he is.

Well he's from Chicago and we're all loving weirdos so it just a question of his particular type of weirdo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Tesha Price has got to give up on complicated arm drags, she's never pulled one off. Bless her for trying, but do 100 in a row perfectly before putting it in a match. Of all the many things I would expected a year ago, becoming a Peter Avalon mark would not have made even the joke list and yet here I am.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

Shaul is actually done with wrestling for a bit for mental health reasons, but Dasha could absolutely ring announce full time.

I really liked Shaul announcing and I'd like to see her in that role more, once she's in a good place for it. I liked Dasha announcing too, but I suspect she's more valuable on commentary with Alex.

I should :goonsay: that Taz and Excalibur ought to know that Abadon is capable of speech because we have heard her mock referees once or twice in matches. Maybe she can only be derisive and sarcastic to authority figures though.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Tesha Price is really starting to show her potential, her character work has gotten really solid even though her ring work is still very much in progress. Hopefully she's getting some of the same mentoring with Big Dustin that the rest of the women's division has been benefitting from because once she tightens up, she could be very good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Her in-ring work has definitely improved, but it still has a way to go. I am also enjoying her character work though. More consistent than King's certainly.

They're mirror images like that, King's great in the ring but needs to figure out her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Yeah, King needs to decide whether she’s going to go for some sort of intense warrior deal or happy to be here deal.

That iridescent face paint she's been doing is just not a good choice.