Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

i'm thinking of ending things is the new film from writer/director Charlie Kaufman. If you're familiar with his work, this could be characterized as "more of that." It is based on a book of the same title that I have not read. Apparently some things have been changed for the film adaptation, in case that sort of thing angers or excites you. It stars Jesse Plemmons, an imperfect clone of late actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Jesse Buckley (pictured above), who I was not familiar with prior to this film. I thought this film was quite good. It is available to watch on Netflix. Please feel free to share your thoughts on the film below.

note: I would recommend avoiding the trailer for this if you plan to watch it

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

The trailer definitely gives you a different idea about what the movie is about than what it's really about.

I thought it actually disclosed too much of the actual tone, but maybe that was just with the benefit of already having seen the movie. Regardless, it includes some moments that I'm glad I didn't see in advance.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

I posted a lot of words about it in the streaming thread, but this film hit me really hard for a ton of reasons.

I know a lot of people who read the book didn't dig the ending, what were people's impressions who went in cold?

I thought the bit on stage at the very end was a bit much, but getting some context after the fact about the song that's performed makes me like it more. Up until then I was all in on everything at the school.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The scene where the janitor asks her to describe Jake is incredible.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I also like the stuff that's touched on as media as virus, which ends up being a pretty deep-running theme. Jake's projected ideal lady friend and Jake himself are little more than an accumulation of media and literary influences, to the point where the distinction between their own thoughts and works and those that they've absorbed becomes confused.