Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
At the beginning of "shelter in place" I started dying my hair black again. It's been been a full six months and I'm still going strong.

My wife was amused to help me recreate high school "Goth Flutie" but now likes the look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

teen witch posted:

I’m fat and brown, as I’ve always been all my life - don’t eschew mainstream beauty values to inadvertently replicate them within the underground! I assure you, you too can become the undead

Also, mercy, Doc Hammer god bless

if you're into the music you're cool whoever you are!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Are you Wayne from the Wonder Years of Marilyn Manson by any chance?

Man, I hope not. Is that a thing that can happen?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Why don’t any brands make an eyebrow pomade that is actually black? It’s always a dark brown. I want my brows to match my hair dammit!!
Anyway I consider myself a metal goth, which means I love doing a full face of dramatic makeup and wearing leggings and a power metal band t shirt. I know that doesn’t really make me a real goth or whatever, but I finally feel comfortable in my own skin :)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How many Kovenant shirts do you own? I always wanted to see them live, but haven't ever had the chance.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes wear black jeans when the blue ones are in the laundry

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Solice Kirsk posted:

How many Kovenant shirts do you own? I always wanted to see them live, but haven't ever had the chance.

I’ve never actually listened to them! I will check it out. I’m more of a Wintersun/nightwish/Battlebeast etc. kind of lady.

schmug
May 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbVRpRgHso

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

remigious posted:

I’ve never actually listened to them! I will check it out. I’m more of a Wintersun/nightwish/Battlebeast etc. kind of lady.

They veer a bit more black metally than those bands, but I enjoy them!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Man I just remembered I was supposed to be at ProgPower 2020 today :( gently caress you covid!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
In high school I always hung around with the goth and burnout crowd, which had a lot of overlap.
Are high school goths still a thing? It seems to me that it might not be as divided and cliquey these days but I could also be totally wrong.

I wish I could just go on a little tour of a school just to see what everyone looks like now.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Yes excellent, I've been varying levels of goth (but extremely ~dark~ in my heart) throughout my life and now that the 'roni is a thing, I actually miss standing in the corner of the goth club sipping honest-to-god absinthe, being too nervous to talk to anyone, vibing happily off of all the well-dressed spooky brethren people

I miss being goth :(

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Achtane posted:

In high school I always hung around with the goth and burnout crowd, which had a lot of overlap.
Are high school goths still a thing? It seems to me that it might not be as divided and cliquey these days but I could also be totally wrong.

I wish I could just go on a little tour of a school just to see what everyone looks like now.

Judging from the bus stops in my neighborhood, high school kids all wear 6-8" athletic shorts with over sized t-shirts or hoodies. Temperature is not a factor in the decision to wear a hoodie vs. a mid-thigh length t-shirt. Nor does it have any bearing on wearing nike dri-fit shorts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/nooramorph/status/1279852381400948737

e: Sorry, thought this was the thoth gread

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Solice Kirsk posted:

Man, I hope not. Is that a thing that can happen?

Yeah. You know Wayne from the Wonder Years? He became a goth and it turned him into Marilyn Manson and then he removed his ribs so he could suck his own dick and one of the ribs looked at me!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

uber_stoat posted:

i could do the extremely thin and pale creature thing when i was young, not happening these days.

Dadbod goths represent!

I'm a teacher now so can only be mildly goth which mostly makes me look extremely British, and I must say: Chalk can go gently caress itself.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Grendels Dad posted:

Dadbod goths represent!

I'm a teacher now so can only be mildly goth which mostly makes me look extremely British, and I must say: Chalk can go gently caress itself.

Embrace the chalk, think of it as cheap face powder?

I've gotten to that point in my life where I don't dispute when people ask if I'm a goth because I'm always in black, dyed hair, tattoos, listen to shouty/depressing music etc, I just say yes. I'm also a "shorts guy" so it's a bit weird being "the goth who always wears shorts" but I don't really care. Because I'm goth I guess. Most of my friends are punks or metalheads though

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 9, 2020

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I wear Suteteko as shorts, they cool.
Actually, I wear wtf I like, aside from beige or bluejeans, I mean, I got the proper goth sensibilities, but I dont mind being that goth dressed in white & silver tactilol combat gear just to say "yeah, ask if i'm a vampire, etc, never heard that before!!one etc"

Wait! Hold up a sec, VF is dead?
Nice.
Black Flirt's still going strongish tho'
although its taken up the Purple mantle from vf I guess. ugh.

Also one more on the dadbod, long hair but not assed enough to dye it pile.

doverhog posted:

I'm not and never have identified as goth, but what is the difference between a metalhead and a goth? Because there is overlap, seen it IRL at various festivals and gigs.

Why do you ask to suck their dicks and find out?
their cum tastes different, one tastes like pennies and the other like bathtub amphetamine.

staberind fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 9, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm not and never have identified as goth, but what is the difference between a metalhead and a goth? Because there is overlap, seen it IRL at various festivals and gigs.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

It's 9/11 season and bats live in the roof of my building. At dusk I walk out onto my crumbling balcony and watch them acrobatically devour mosquitoes amidst a global pandemic. It's raining and overcast and it went from 100f to 50f in a single day. It's Gothtober. What'sup my fellow witches?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

doverhog posted:

Goths dress in black and have long hair like this, but metalheads dress in black and have long hair like that.

Back in the 80s there was a big difference between the two subcultures, but they've blended together a lot. The emergence of goth metal in the early to mid 90s both drove and reflected that development.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Anyway, I'd like to know what crystals everyone uses for doom scrolling. I'm getting some pretty nasty feedback lately, and I'm thinking of switching to moonstone completely to cast out the negative vibes. It's fall, and I have a freezer full of cattle bones I'm planning to turn into soup. They turn blood red when boiled and the marrow seeps out, I like to ad turmeric and various eclectic mushrooms. It gives it almost a uniquely greenish tint to the broth.

Kind of thinking about investing in better eyeliner, because it's not like I'll ever not wear a raven-black face covering for the rest of my life thanks to the sun virus.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

doverhog posted:

I think of metalheads as being less moody

doverhog
May 31, 2013

staberind posted:

Why do you ask to suck their dicks and find out?
their cum tastes different, one tastes like pennies and the other like bathtub amphetamine.

An impressive knowledge of cum and meth.

Joy Division is goth right, liked them a lot.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Nick Cave = Goth

Dio = Metal

Any ?s

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Metalheads are I think are dorkier goths who want to wear comfy clothing. I say that with affection!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I have dangily cross plugs that i like to wear sometimes. This is about as goth as I get I suppose. Pretty sure my wife is a mix of some sorta proto-punk-goth-witch-disney fanatic.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

remigious posted:

Metalheads are I think are dorkier goths who want to wear comfy clothing. I say that with affection!

Makes sense, goth is about style. As a fan of Blind Guardian and Opeth can't argue with dorkiness.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

teen witch posted:

Yes but

DO-MIN-I-ONNNN

For me it's got to be MARI AA AA AA AAN

Also because the song is half in English, half in German, and Andrew Eldritch's German is really good on that track, possibly the best German I've ever heard from an English-speaking singer.

Other than that my usual getup was all black, sometimes with old military shoulder patches and a tie, doing the typical three-tile goth shuffle to bangers from the Neon Judgment and such. The club I went to most often no longer exists today (and shouldn't have existed even at that time because it was in violation of most safety and health policies anyway) but it's at around 5km of my current place of work now (I don't live in that city and it's not close to my hometown). Memories!

Memories of peeling a passed-out friend from a dirty Trainspotting-like toilet while in the background Deutsch Nepal was giving the finger to a few neo-nazis. Memories of getting invited backstage by a past-their-prime goth band who attempted to seduce my friends but instead found out we all drank like fish and then went our merry way. Memories of gross make-out sessions with a strange woman whose house burnt down a week later. Memories of hitting up a karaoke bar with a few goths as an after party idea and buddying up with the local Turkish and Thai gangs (they thought we were extremely weird but kind of curious to see what the deal with us was). Also memories of an ear-piercing animalistic cry of one of the guys of Hocico who was out of his mind on a gallon of whiskey and drugs.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

doverhog posted:

Marlboro Reds / Djarum Blacks.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

She literally has a song about the Lady of Shalott, and if that story isn't goth as gently caress then nothing is.

edit: should prob link it instead of just saying it exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WcopLM6xpE

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Woebin posted:

New Model Army is great fun too, whenever I see them I get rescued from the mosh pit by the same big, silent British skinhead.

I am angry that they wrote a song about one of our (NZ) beaches and have never toured here I don't think. loving great live shows though.

I too miss being goth.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

remigious posted:

Why don’t any brands make an eyebrow pomade that is actually black? It’s always a dark brown. I want my brows to match my hair dammit!!

NYX does.

Also, plain old mascara works just as well in a pinch.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

was/is it goth to go to evanescence concerts in all black leather

asking for a friend

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

The_Continental posted:

Nick Cave = Goth

Dio = Metal

Any ?s

Nick Cave transcends labels. His songs were in Harry Potter and Shrek.... Nick Cave is for all sad millennials.

The great thing about goth is that it dies and revives every decade or so. With numetal and Marilyn Manson in the 1990's, it had to change, then came the Numetal and Emo and goth went harder with the Cruxshadows and London After Midnight in the Early 2000s, then everything was EBM, and then it got all fetishy and creepy. Now it's all throwbacks trying to appeal to the old goths or more dull EBM. Metal is good though. Mono Inc. is one of the few acts from this decade that I really quite enjoy.

naem
May 29, 2011

Goth was gifted to mankind by the ANCIENT ONES in every generation are born those of the true spirit who can partake

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

I Shot The Serif posted:

NYX does.

Also, plain old mascara works just as well in a pinch.

Ty I just picked some up at target :D

Manuel
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVGbUrPQEHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daj8GkkgzSU

Manuel fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 10, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a47FYuAASWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I wore a Lip Service dress and six inch platform boots to my prom. No regrets!

http://www.redemptionklothing.com/images/LSCatalogs/2002.1/springteaser02p10.jpg

The top left one, but it was all black and not that black with cream underneath. God, I loving loved that dress. I’ll see if I can dig up my prom photo tomorrow, oof.