Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

When I was in high school I wrote for my local newspaper's youth section, and I think the first thing I got published was this op ed about how goths these days aren't real goths. Oh you listen to Marilyn Manson and Nightwish? Poser. London After Midnight? Neo-goth is a joke. You're not a real goth unless you're an 18th century novel, a church from the 12th century, a member of a marauding horde or a fan of Red Lorry Yellow Lorry and Sex Game Children (but I bet you've never even heard of them, have you, you prick).

I was such a gatekeeping little poo poo for a few years, glad I grew out of it. I also had a band called The Despairs of Blackman and Woebin which, yes, is where I got this username. We never did much anything and our rehearsal sessions were just hangouts because I was too insecure to sing in front of my own band members.

Anyway The Mountain Goats' "Goths" is the best album of 2017 and possibly the decade and it's about all of us ITT. This track's my favourite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYgTkl1JOO0

Best live goth or goth-adjacent act that's still touring? I saw Einstrürzende Neubauten a few years ago and it was probably the best concert I've ever been to. New Model Army is great fun too, whenever I see them I get rescued from the mosh pit by the same big, silent British skinhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Oh are we sharing pictures of our younger goth selves? This was roughly 15 years ago. The picture of the wall was by my ex who got me into London After Midnight and such, and who I then got into more classic goth stuff. It's a yellow goth because he liked yellow a lot, plus lyrics from Alien Sex Fiend's "Another Planet", and I'm sad to say I've long since lost the drawing.

Also when I was going to see Bauhaus in 2006 these guys came up to me on the train station and said "hey, we're much better than Bauhaus, buy our record" so I did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgN9HyVUCs

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

In the mid-2000s there was an internet radio station called Radio Ghoul School, anyone remember that? That probably did more to shape my goth music taste than all the stuff I listened to in high school (or there's a ton of overlap anyway). I still google it every now and then to see if the guy who ran it is doing anything new.

... turns he has more or less recreated it on Spotify. He used to have a lot of stuff that isn't on Spotify but based on a quick skim and past experience I strongly recommend that playlist. And it's not just a straight recreation, there's stuff like Chromatics and Glass Candy on there now too.
Hell yes, I remember that thing! Definitely got a lot of my imaginary "I listen to these bands you've never heard of" cred through that.

E:

Renfield posted:

Do people still paint leather jackets ?

Cos I painted leather jackets

I never did, but I had a messenger bag with a Red Lorry Yellow Lorry paint job that I loved. Drunkenly lost it at a festival, of course. My buddy had a Melt-Banana leather jacket though, which was the Warhol banana that was used for the cover of Velvet Underground & Nico, except melting. It was pretty great.

And, uh, I might have gone overboard on adding stuff to the classic goth playlist. Sorry and/or you're welcome.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 18, 2020

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I know I'm an outlier, but The Rapture is my favorite Siouxsie album. It just makes me happy 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO-LA8Pk4dg

On a different note, who else was reading a bunch of goth webcomics back in the day? I remember two that I was into.

Deeply Creepy was, as far as I remember, about some folks running a goth club. I might actually be straight-up conflating the name of one comic with the premise of another one here, I'm not sure. Anyway I just remember two of its strips, one being a tribute to Johnny Cash when he died and one going like this:
Character 1 (a woman, I think?): "Play some Einstrürzende Neubauten, I need to break these new boots in."
Character 2 (the DJ): "These people can't dance to Neubauten!"
Hilarious. Anyway that was the first time I heard of Einstrürzende, who I came to love with all my heart, so... thanks, probably-mediocre goth comic!

Nice Hair was a roomie sitcom about Robert Smith (usually referred to as "Fat Bob", except when he started doing meth and got skinny), Andrew Eldritch and Tim Burton living together. I don't remember much, but I think Robert was mostly sad, Andrew was mostly a big old jerk and Tim had Johnny Depp in all his Burton roles as his imaginary friend and/or monster under the bed. There was also a lot of homoeroticism, which was nice for young Woebin and her teenage self-discovery.

I feel like there was a third one I liked a lot but absolutely cannot remember. Anyway what about you lot?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

How do you goths feel about gothic literature?

I read Wuthering Heights and found it to be awful. Horrible people doing horrible things to one another all described horribly in a horrible writing style. Yet it is considered a great tragic love story. gently caress that noise.

I also read a short story/novella by a famous American writer in a similar style about some poor married bloke who falls in love with his wife's niece, and she with him, in some bleak snowy little town. In the end they try to commit suicide by sledding into a tree, but only end up crippling themselves, and the end is the niece, wife and husband all living together, crippled bitter, and poorer than they were because he can't work as well now his body is all banged up and old. Again, supposedly this was a great tragic goth love story. Sorry I cannot remember the name of author or story.

Wuthering Heights the song however is a banger. Kate Bush is cool and talented. Though I dunno how gothy her cred is.
I read The Monk in high school and decided to love it because I was a goth and it was gothic literature. Haven't revisited it since but it's probably fine!