Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Captain Hygiene posted:

Some of Control's achievements are tied to its new DLC so I've been running into stuff like "Kill 25 of [reasonably common enemy] - 0.8% completion rate :smug:"

Same thing for KOTOR2 since achievements only got added in 2015 after everyone's played the game to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Definitely no shame in that, Horizon is an absolutely fantastic game.

I just have the base platinum, didn't do the NG+ update ones. Was the NG+ ultra hard playthrough super difficult? I know in some games NG+ can end up being much easier than regular playthroughs, even with an upgraded difficulty, but then sometimes the benefits still aren't enough to counteract it.

It's not that hard on NG+, especially through the first third of the map since the encounters aren't really designed with an endgame loadout in mind. Oh no TWO Corrupters! *lobs blast sling, everything dies* Ultra Hard on a fresh playthrough can be quite challenging though.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

man nurse posted:

You’re not alone, I’ve gotten the plat for Final Fantasy 15 and then went and did all the achievements again when it came out on PC. I really liked that game.

Did you do all of it? I got the base plat and a bunch of the DLC, but there's just so much available that it was hard to stay dedicated. Like I couldn't really get into Comrades, and still haven't brought myself to reinstall the whole thing and buy Episode Ardyn.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm currently playing Disgaea 5, and the plat for this one seems far more reasonable than previous entries. Like I beat Disgaea 3 with a whopping 3 trophies and apparently decided "nah, I'm good" when confronted with the rest.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Did you do all of it? I got the base plat and a bunch of the DLC, but there's just so much available that it was hard to stay dedicated. Like I couldn't really get into Comrades, and still haven't brought myself to reinstall the whole thing and buy Episode Ardyn.

I never touched the DLC episodes because their structure doesn’t hold the appeal that the main game proper does for me, but I definitely did more than was required for plat. All hunts and all side quests. There were a couple post game dungeons I skipped on like the 100 floor one and the one that locks items but I did a few of them, and the pitous dungeon as well.

I think the game is at its best when you’re just tripping around, exploring, hunting down marks, camping out making meals, etc.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Steams achievement completion showcase is dominated by a dead game that has their completion % going down all the time

Presumably they're calculating everyone who has ever made a steam account as owners of the game, even long after its death

I did manage to get something on the last spot with less than 0.01% clear rate at the time but it's back to marvel again

My only claim to fame is being the first person to 100% complete just cause 2, because I managed to find the map zone that they forgot to enable for the final release and making a mod that added it back.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Steams achievement completion showcase is dominated by a dead game that has their completion % going down all the time

Presumably they're calculating everyone who has ever made a steam account as owners of the game, even long after its death

I did manage to get something on the last spot with less than 0.01% clear rate at the time but it's back to marvel again

My only claim to fame is being the first person to 100% complete just cause 2, because I managed to find the map zone that they forgot to enable for the final release and making a mod that added it back.

I have that problem, too, half my showcase are Marvel Heroes, I wish there was a way to exclude games from that thing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What the hell? Dr E? Never expected you in here. It's like running into your teacher outside school.

Here's my Playstation profile, this is where all my efforts go.

https://psnprofiles.com/IneffiableFx

I've only seen two goons with more trophies/plats/levels above me and both of them have been trophy hunting longer than me. I've really only been doing this seriously since 2012 but there's like another 5 years that trophies existed that I could have been working on.

Here's my favorite accomplisments:

Ikaruga one credit coin clear (I did this on ps4 and Xbox 360)

My trilogy of trilogy platinums:

Dark souls 1-3
Dead space 1-3
Mass Effect 1-3

As a bonus, I platinumed demons souls three times. (NA, AS, EU)

Feel free to discuss any of my games, I'm always happy to talk about them or give tips/advice/feedback/recommend games.

My 200th platinum is reserved for Demon's Souls remake.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

:D I used to be hugely active outside of Coupons, but then slowly retreated into it. I lurk all over the place though. Maybe this is me trying to be more active. :ohdear:

Your profile is impressive! My PSN stats pretty much start in 2012 as well, before that I was on the 360. I just hit 47, so in a pretty like-for-like comparison, you have me beat.

That Ikaruga one in particular seems imposing. Isn't that game notoriously difficult?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

:D I used to be hugely active outside of Coupons, but then slowly retreated into it. I lurk all over the place though. Maybe this is me trying to be more active. :ohdear:

Your profile is impressive! My PSN stats pretty much start in 2012 as well, before that I was on the 360. I just hit 47, so in a pretty like-for-like comparison, you have me beat.

That Ikaruga one in particular seems imposing. Isn't that game notoriously difficult?

Oh yeah. It's probably a game that you can finish in 40 minutes with unlimited continues but it's probably taken me well over 100 hours just to get good enough to finish it with no continues. This came from years of experience with it on gamecube then on xbox 360 so to get it on ps4 took less than 5 tries but that's with over 100+ hours of experience.

Looking forward to giving you motivation to catch up to me. Can't wait to trophy hunt on the PS5! Demons souls was my first platinum on ps3 and hopefully I can make it my first ps5 platinum as well (my first ps4 platinum was need for speed rivals)

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I've gotten a few Plats lately when I usually don't go out of my way for them. I recently got the ones for Control and Ghost of Tsushima, just because I loved those games and was close anyway by the time I finished them. Most of my other Plats come from gimme-games where you get them by completing them, like most of the TellTale stuff.

I think the most time-consuming one I have is the Plat for Final Fantasy 8 remaster, just because I'm one of fourteen people on the planet who love that game.

I also got the Plat for Far Cry: Primal. I don't know why. It was okay, but I was close to finishing it up after I'd beaten the game, and I think I just zombie-played it while listening to podcasts.

I might go back and grab the last few from Spider-Man one day soon. I wouldn't mind shooting for a "difficult" Plat though, just for the fun of it and to say I did it.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Had to double check if I was in Games or Coupons.

The first game I really remember striving to get all of the achievements for was Binding of Isaac when it first came out. I recently got 100% of the normal achievements in Horizon, but I kinda bounced off of the DLC and don't think I'll shoot for all of the NG+ difficulties.

I think my favorite achievements are in Souls games. It usually gives me a little added incentive to try out a new build. I don't think I've actually platinumed any of them yet but the achievements are a nice way to get through some decision paralysis.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Several Goblins posted:

I think the most time-consuming one I have is the Plat for Final Fantasy 8 remaster, just because I'm one of fourteen people on the planet who love that game.

Worth it for the time spent on the card game alone. I can hear the music in my head as I type this... bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga

I think I ended up rubber banding a controller on Cactuar Island to grind for this one, it was that kill 1000 enemies trophy that did it.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

In news of "terrible implementations": I was just looking at a game Mosaic that's in the current PSN sale. Looked up the trophies and found this:

quote:

For those who don't know, every single achievement/trophy in the game is tied to a mobile clicker game in-main game called Blip Blop, where you press X for 15 hours

what

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Just got the Disgaea 5 platinum! ~75 hours total.

This game has a lot of grinding for the trophies, but since grinding and numbers going up is kind of the point of the game, they managed to make it feel really good so rarely was there tedium. The only real annoying parts were going for the bonuses in 50 stages since I didn't do it the first time, and trying to figure out and execute on the requirements for obtaining a legendary item.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Just got the Disgaea 5 platinum! ~75 hours total.

This game has a lot of grinding for the trophies, but since grinding and numbers going up is kind of the point of the game, they managed to make it feel really good so rarely was there tedium. The only real annoying parts were going for the bonuses in 50 stages since I didn't do it the first time, and trying to figure out and execute on the requirements for obtaining a legendary item.

Quite the accomplishment. I rarely go for rpg Plata since they're very time consuming but I did do persona 5 and DQ11.

I'm working on some games I've played before on ps3/ps4 but have unearned trophies.

Currently playing: Until dawn

Demons souls (PS5) reserved for my 200th platinum.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Excellent choice.

Has anybody ever tried retroachievements? Seems like a fun way to approach some retro games I never gave enough attention.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Worth it for the time spent on the card game alone. I can hear the music in my head as I type this... bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga

I think I ended up rubber banding a controller on Cactuar Island to grind for this one, it was that kill 1000 enemies trophy that did it.

*clap clap*....*clap* *clap clap*.....*clap*

It's been 21 years and that song still plays in my soul

The kill 1000 enemies trophy was my last one too. I think I zoned out and was grinding somewhere while listening to the Giant Bomb podcast for a couple hours to finish it off.

The Postman posted:

Excellent choice.

Has anybody ever tried retroachievements? Seems like a fun way to approach some retro games I never gave enough attention.

I built a Raspberry Pi to play retro games recently and keep meaning to hook it up to Retroachievements. It looks really cool and a fun way to get back into older games, but I haven't tried it yet.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ineffiable posted:

I was going to do FF7 Remake for my 100th Platinum. Then I was close to 99 at the beginning of the year and didn't want to wait, so I decided to try for 107. I was at 106 when FF7R came out, played it once, and ended up deciding to put off my second playthrough so I could experience the game again relatively fresher. (and I'm hoping they do a PS5 patch for it) So those plans ended up being for naught.

... and now I'm at 138. Lot of indoor time this year.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

So I've been in the mood for Diablo / a Diablo clone recently, and I've already played through the major ones (Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, Titan Quest). Because I am apparently incapable of playing a game through again without getting trophies for it, I now have a copy of Diablo 3 for the PS3 coming to me. Hopefully the performance still holds up decently.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I wish Nintendo had some type of system. So much of my backlog is on Switch and 100% save files just aren't as satisfying as official gamer points.

I've been thinking about games I own that I want to try to focus on achievements for and I think I'm going to pick Monolith. It's a fantastic roguelike shmup and I think with enough practice I could complete them all.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m embarrassed to say I would play a lot more games on switch if I got meaningless good job stickers for playing them.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

So I've been in the mood for Diablo / a Diablo clone recently, and I've already played through the major ones (Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, Titan Quest). Because I am apparently incapable of playing a game through again without getting trophies for it, I now have a copy of Diablo 3 for the PS3 coming to me. Hopefully the performance still holds up decently.

I just put a couple of hours into Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr on PS4 and it might fit your bill if you're looking for tropgies and Diablo that isn't Diablo.

It seems pretty good so far, but I haven't gotten too deeply into it yet. I'm not sure if it helps or hurts that I have nearly zero prior knowledge to the Warhammer 40k universe.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that one. I did briefly look into Warhammer Chaosbane, which people say is basically a Diablo clone, but reviews weren't fantastic.

Diablo 3 actually holds up pretty well on the PS3. There's a little bit of screen tearing here and there but overall the performance is good. Graphics aren't anything to write home about, but it does the job.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

man nurse posted:

I’m embarrassed to say I would play a lot more games on switch if I got meaningless good job stickers for playing them.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it seems arbitrary and pointless to care so much, on the other hand there are some legitimately good things that they inspire, and the meta-game of collecting them is fun.

I do find it strange that Nintendo didn't implement them, but considering they're even still just figuring out online services, maybe you can't have expectations too high.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I thought I read a long time ago that they don’t want to do achievements because they don’t like the idea of having to carrot and stick people through playing their games. Some sort of philosophy like that.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Children of Morta is supposedly a pretty good game. It seems like it might only be Diablo-like in combat, but it's free on Game Pass if you have that.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
edit: ^ I liked Children of Morta... eventually. It starts off rough until you unlock better characters or level up the existing ones a bunch. The story is bad. It gets fun though. I stopped short of 100% because there's a one really grindy achievement... it's like 'collect all relics' or something. I think I went into ng+ to max level my characters and realized my relic (or w/e it's called) counter went back to 0 and said gently caress that.

Yeah, I wish Switch had achievements too. My wife and I are making our way to 120 stars in M64 and it'd be nice to get a little notification and a completion date I could reference later.

I like how PS4 at some point added a screenshot to the trophy pop-up (which often catches load screens or menus but w/e). It's fun to look back at what I was doing in a game on X date. I'm slowly zooming on the Don't Starve Together platinum from playing it with friends over the years and my first one is in like 2016. I think I just need to kill dragonfly and figure out what an ancient guardian is.

I like the idea of arbitrary achievement points more than arbitrary trophy values but I wish Microsoft would just shamelessly rip off the platinum trophy idea and name it something else. I have way more 100%'d games on Xbox than Playstation.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Yeah, I wish Switch had achievements too. My wife and I are making our way to 120 stars in M64 and it'd be nice to get a little notification and a completion date I could reference later.

I just finished 120 stars in all 3 games on 3D All-Stars and I was secretly hoping it was the Galaxy 2 unlock criteria and it'd all pay off...

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

One of my proudest gaming moments has to be getting these Let It Die trophies. That game becomes such a grindy Sure-This-Is-Free-But-It-Be-Easier-If-You-Bought-Some-Continue-Tokens shitfest past the halfway point. And its such a shame, since the aesthetic is pretty banging and its a decent Dark Souls clone in its own right.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Archer666 posted:

One of my proudest gaming moments has to be getting these Let It Die trophies. That game becomes such a grindy Sure-This-Is-Free-But-It-Be-Easier-If-You-Bought-Some-Continue-Tokens shitfest past the halfway point. And its such a shame, since the aesthetic is pretty banging and its a decent Dark Souls clone in its own right.

Yeah I've heard that game is nigh impossible to finish without buying (real world money) anything.

It actually nailed down the neon punk asthetic before we got games like rage 2 or far cry new dawn that makes it seem overused now.

Don't forget that new rider Nation game or whatever uses it a lot as well.

I'm tired of neon pink.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that one. I did briefly look into Warhammer Chaosbane, which people say is basically a Diablo clone, but reviews weren't fantastic.

Diablo 3 actually holds up pretty well on the PS3. There's a little bit of screen tearing here and there but overall the performance is good. Graphics aren't anything to write home about, but it does the job.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/torchlight_iii_comes_to_ps4_in_just_two_weeks

welp

Ineffiable posted:

I'm tired of neon pink.

Having gotten an HDR TV, I want super bright Neon everywhere.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I've heard that game is nigh impossible to finish without buying (real world money) anything.

I am hunting 100% achievements in Let it Die right now. I can gainsay that statement. There are 11-hour speedruns that disallow the use of event items and money. There are even f2p players who have beaten the game with their starter or near-starter characters. Nevertheless, the game is very grindy, very punishing. Money or not, it will take a while.

The only achievement in the game that is actually hard is Flirting Virtuoso because it is almost completely based on RNG. To put in terms of Pokemon Red/Blue, imagine if there was an achievement for Pokemon Red/Blue where you had to catch Mewtwo on the first turn without a masterball, and then you had to do that successfully 100 times. Truly an achievement that represents the grindy nature of this game.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm trying to figure out if you're bragging or embarrassed. Maybe a little of both?

Though I definitely have more embarrassing games, I think my most embarrassing trophy is Flight of the Bot in The PlayRoom. Super easy to get, but like six months ago when trying to kick one of the AR bots I accidentally kicked my table leg and am pretty sure I broke one of my toes.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Oh, and I forgot how grindy some of the trophies were in Diablo 3. Most aren't too bad since they're stuff you'll do normally, but 500 bounties? Ugh. Since there's another trophy for getting one of each class up to level 70, I guess I'll just use them to level up after the story is done. Took me ~100 to get from 60 to 70 after beating the game on my first character.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Just saw this on Twitter. Looks like they're changing up the PS trophy system.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07/upcoming-trophy-levelling-changes-detailed/

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I just came to post that!

Looks like they're going to be weighting platinums even more heavily in the new scoring system. I'm interested in seeing the effects this has.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I've been playing a lot of Disco Elysium and I'm overjoyed with just how they phrase the achievements. Most of them are basically milestones for saying a certain number of things in support or likeness of a certain political ideology to people, but they have titles like "The World's Most Laughable Centrist" where you "Defend the political centre 7 times" and "Baddest Hustler In The Neoliberal Hood" where you "Preach free market for 9 times"and one of the skills you can take materializes a small amount of currency in your pockets whenever you preach for the free market to incentivize you to take it! My very first achievement in that game was "Baddest Of the Bad Cops" where I got the most negative possible relationship with my partner as possible, in only the second day of the adventure. Even more magical is that only 1.4% of players even have that achievement to begin with :allears:

The one I want most of all is "Enemy Of The Physical Realm" where you must "Bang up 5 inanimate objects" by basically talking to random objects and picking the dialogue object where you scream and/or swear loudly before trying to kick it, usually resulting in damaging yourself, which can also lead to dealing enough damage you have a heart attack and it is game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I kinda like the hard climb of the teens in trophy levels, but it doesn't really matter. Let's see that big number