Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

What I did plat, though, was Warlock's Tower! It's an exceptionally cheap Ratalaika game, but definitely one of the best ones of theirs I've played. Relatively unique little puzzle game where you only can move a certain number of spaces before you die, and need to be constantly picking up little baubles that give you more. Then more mechanics keep getting added and it was quite fun! Some of the puzzles were definitely challenging, but not so much so that I ever got stuck and had to look up a solution.

Took me 2-3 hours total for the plat, nothing really missable because there's stage select for the optional trophies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

What I did plat, though, was Warlock's Tower! It's an exceptionally cheap Ratalaika game, but definitely one of the best ones of theirs I've played. Relatively unique little puzzle game where you only can move a certain number of spaces before you die, and need to be constantly picking up little baubles that give you more. Then more mechanics keep getting added and it was quite fun! Some of the puzzles were definitely challenging, but not so much so that I ever got stuck and had to look up a solution.

Took me 2-3 hours total for the plat, nothing really missable because there's stage select for the optional trophies.

Yeah that game ruled. It's one of the reasons I'll never look down on any ratalaika platinum, they actually publish a lot of neat little indie games that have some interesting ideas.

Indie games rule and they really provide a good breather in between big games or long platinums or you can play them alongside each other, so while you play a longer game where it takes like hours to feel like you're making progress, you could take a break for 30 minutes with an indie and make a ton of progress and it keeps you motivated.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
One side effect of my not buying any games the last couple of months is that I don't peruse the cheap end of the Deals section and check out what Ratalaika games are going for like a buck. Soon enough, soon enough...

But yeah, I remember Warlock's Tower being neat, though I caved and used a guide pretty early on. I saw Reed 2 got a PS5 version, put it on my Wishlist for when it hits 50% off or so. Might be the first game where I'll have Vita, PS4, and PS5 plats across one title.

Edit - Effect not affect. I know I'm scatterbrained when I start making that mistake.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 23, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
#108: Unicorn Overlord

Took a surprisingly long time for how relatively gentle the game is - I was apparently at this for over 100 hours. Game large. The thing about it is, you can do the whole thing on the easiest difficulty if you want, there is nothing, not even trophies, tied to the harder ones. So if you want you can make this all very easy. Not that it even is that demanding, mostly; if you have any head at all for tactics games and have fond memories of FFXII's Gambit System you can break the hardest difficulty completely over your knee with a little push, with only the very final boss providing a problem. There is a lot of stuff you have to do but all it takes is persistence, really.

Anyway the game itself is pretty good. It's like, Vanillaware Does Tactics Ogre, except the plot is Vanillaware Does Fire Emblem. The plot is aggressively uninspired but the characters are decent and the script swerves wildly between incredibly overwrought in a way that's bad and incredibly overwrought in a way that's amazing, and there's support rapport conversations that contain some Actual Writing. Also, the tactical side of the game is pretty great, it's very responsive to leaning into ideas and like I said it's quite forgiving, which is why it's both so possible and so rewarding to just pick any plan as your core strategy and build something around it, just go full galaxy brain on something, anything, and you'll be fine. Mostly. Also, game's stupendously pretty, because Vanillaware, and also not just a little bit horny, because Vanillaware.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
So I was able to knock out the multiplayer trophies I needed in Fallout 76 thanks to Parkingtigers, but for some reason the "join 20 teams" one wouldn't register for them. Then I had to cut our adventure short to go feed my cats, so here's the promised cat tax photo (timg'ed for huge):

The chillaxing one is Nala and the longboy up top is Leon. I adopted them from a former coworker who was going to have to give them up to a shelter.

Anyway, now I just need the trophies for finding 20 magazines and finishing the nuke quest to get the plat. Hooray!

I splurged for a month of 1st so I'll be happy to set up a private world any time for goons to run around in. Let me know here, on PSN, or on the PS Goons Discord. Also happy to help people get any trophies. It's been about a year since I've actually played so I have to remember how to do some stuff, but I'll be bumbling around to make use of my 1st time for a month, at least.

Also my main camp kept showing up as Blocked, even in a private world, so I'll have to figure that whole mess out and possibly relocate and get all my stuff setup again. Joy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Got a platinum on Amnesia: The Bunker. May have done a bit of a glitched run to get the speed run trophy but, well. I don't like speedruns. Got the rest of them legit though. Game's good.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I like that alphaplat idea, here's my contribution (from psnprofiles):

# - 2064: Read Only Memories 7.37% (4 points)

A - Apotheon, 5.91% (4 points)

B - The Bit.Trip, 2.70% (5 points)

C - Cyberpunk 2077, 15.58% (3 points)

D - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, 17.89% (3 points)

E - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, 10.01% (3 points)

F - Far Cry 3, 16.11% (3 points)

G - Grim Fandango, 20.66% (2 points)

H - Heaven's Vault, 7.98% (4 points)

I - The Innsmouth Case, 65.09% (1 point)

J - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, 37.44% (2 points)

K - Kentucky Route Zero, 24.53% (2 points)

L - L.A. Noire, 10.15% (3 points)

M - Murdered: Soul Suspect, 36.43% (2 points)

N - Night in the Woods, 6.48% (4 points)

O - Oxenfree, 24.89% (2 points)

P - The Playroom VR, 5.78% (4 points)

Q - None

R - Rover Mechanic Simulator, 39.71% (2 point)

S - Stories: The Path of Destinies, 13.24% (3 points)

T - The Talos Principle, 16.49% (3 points)

U - Until Dawn, 16.42% (3 points)

V - None

W - Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, 21.77% (2 points)

X - None

Y - Yakuza Kiwami 2, 12.10% (3 points)

Z - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, 36.42% (2 points)

Total: 69 points (nice)

PSN Profiles doesn't seem to be used nearly as much as in the past just based on the "owned" numbers for more recent games. I'd imagine that probably means more recent games have higher platinum percentages. I have a few platinum with fewer than 100 owners, so rare by number of players but not percentage-wise. Still, fun little exercise! I tend to not go for platinums that take a really long time or are too difficult, hence the lack of 5's.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hirsute posted:

Total: 69 points (nice)

PSN Profiles doesn't seem to be used nearly as much as in the past just based on the "owned" numbers for more recent games. I'd imagine that probably means more recent games have higher platinum percentages. I have a few platinum with fewer than 100 owners, so rare by number of players but not percentage-wise. Still, fun little exercise! I tend to not go for platinums that take a really long time or are too difficult, hence the lack of 5's.

Welcome to the challenge!

For your observation, what has happened is psnprofiles.com is actually scraping less public data and not updating inactive accounts as much as it used to. So that's why older games (especially older ps+ games) have much lower completion rates compared to similar games today.

I think more people are using psnprofiles.com than ever but it doesn't make up for the lack of the site grabbing more normal user data to populate

And there's the bias of the people who are active on the website are often hardcore trophy hunters too.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Welcome to the party, Hirsute. Your 69 points (nice) means we have a really tight battle in the mid table between a bunch of users.

EDIT: Only counts as 65 points, sorry, as we haven't expanded on to the numbers yet as there's only several digits that are even eligible for plats (not that many games start with numbers) so it's been a vanilla A-Z list for now. That might change in the future, but currently it's 130 point maximum point cap.

Current Alphaplat Leaderboard:

Morpheus - 98/130
Dr. Eldarion - 96/130
InEffiable - 93/130
Paying2Lurk 87/130
ultrachrist - 76/130
Revitalised - 72/130
apohenium - 70/130
ShakeZula - 68/130
Parkingtigers - 67/130
Hirsute - 65/130 NEW CHALLENGER
GoutPatrol - 63/130
Anti-Hero - 55/130
Raspberry Bang - 50/130
IcePhoenix - 18/130
everwake - 14/130
The Postman - 12/130

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 24, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay fine I'll ask. What the hell is alphaplat.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Fedule posted:

Okay fine I'll ask. What the hell is alphaplat.

Load up your profile on PSN Profiles, find your rarest platinums for each letter of the alphabet and count up your score. You can use or ignore articles as you wish, so I have The Witcher 3 as a W on my list, but I could have used it as a letter T if I had wanted. It's just for funsies after all.

Using PSN Profiles stats:

Ultra rare <5% 5 points
Very rare 5% - 10% 4 points
Rare 10% - 20% 3 points
Uncommon 20% - 50% 2 points
Common 50% - 100% 1 point
No entry 0 points

e: It's platinums only, no need for 100% on DLC, and games without a plat aren't eligible. It's all about that one shiny plat trophy.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 24, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
And to make it easier you can sort on PSNP by Platinum and Alphabetical. Fun bit of extra motivation to work on the backlog.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh, neat. I have fewer plats than a lot of people ITT and I don't go after games for trophies but I have enough brain damage to pursue plats on games I do buy long past the point of sanity so I can probably make a decent splash on this.

That said I'll need another hour to unfuck my PSNProfiles. Unless the data doesn't meaningfully differ from PSN's own trophy rarity stats in which case I can calculate it sooner.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fedule posted:

Oh, neat. I have fewer plats than a lot of people ITT and I don't go after games for trophies but I have enough brain damage to pursue plats on games I do buy long past the point of sanity so I can probably make a decent splash on this.

That said I'll need another hour to unfuck my PSNProfiles. Unless the data doesn't meaningfully differ from PSN's own trophy rarity stats in which case I can calculate it sooner.

The ps profiles data does meaningfully differ. It's it's more common for trophies in general otherwise almost every play we'd have would be under 5% in real world stats. We want to measure by trophy hunter standards.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Working on Balatro on and off which should be a solid one when (....if) I get the plat. A lot of it seems super grindy and RNG dependent though, which is why I imagine a lot of people would not bother with it.

As for the alpha thing,

A - Akiba's Beat; 9.57% - 4
B - Bully; 22.90% - 2
C - Code Vein; 10.24% - 3
D - Destroy All Humans!; 13.43% - 3
E - n/a - 0
F - Final Fantasy Type-0 HD; 15.13% - 3
G - Grand Theft Auto Vice City; 13.32% - 3
H - n/a - 0
I - I Am Setsuna; 18.15% - 3
J - Judgement; 5.82% - 4
K - Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories; 8.67% - 4
L - LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2; 14.30% - 3
M - MediEvil Remake; 33.23% - 2
N - NieR: Automata; 29.12% - 2
O - One Piece Odyssey; 22.34% - 2
P - Psychonauts; 15.46% - 3
Q - n/a - 0
R - Rogue Galaxy; 5.55% - 4
S - Soul Hackers 2; 15.83% - 3
T - Thief; 3.61% - 5
U - Undertale; 43.66% - 2
V - Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars; 44.14% - 2
W - Wild ARMs; 16.17% - 3
X - n/a - 0
Y - Yakuza Kiwami 2; 12.10% - 3
Z - Zero Escape: The Nonary Games; 39.27% - 2

Total: 65 / 130

Exactly half of the maximum. Sounds about right, with all the gaps and some that could easily be improved too. I'm glad I had one 5 pointer at least which is honestly more than I expected. And no 1 pointers which is a lot less than I expected too :sweatdrop:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright let's compile this bullshit. I have chosen to take a fully consistent approach to disregarding articles.

#: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (52.4% - 1 point)
Dirt common but literally my only # plat.

A: Assassin's Creed III (4.8%: 5 points)

B: Below (5.7%: 4 points)
Thought this would be rarer.

C: Cloudpunk (14.2%: 3 points)

D: Disco Elysium (3.8%: 5 points)

E: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (17.1%: 3 points)
Probably the biggest gulf between how easy the plat is and how bullshit it is. No wonder it smokes Elden Ring (38.5%) in PSProfiles.

F: Furi (1.8%: 5 points)
Take that, FFVII Rebirth (7.8%)

G: Guacamelee! (14.7%: 3 points)
Astonished that this is the winner for G. I'm more proud of Granblue Fantasy Relink (15.1%) for sure.

H: Hardspace Shipbreaker (15.5%: 3 points)

I: Invisible Inc (0.42%: 5 points)
There should be a <0.5% category, IMO.

J: Journey to the Savage Planet: (7.7%: 4 points)
Also unexpectedly rare.

K: (0 points)

L: Last Spell, The (1.3%, 5 points)

M: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2.4%: 5 points)
Honourable mention: Mad Max (6.1%), which to my knowledge is presently unplattable due to requiring a checkin to a server long since turned off. Thanks, WB Games!

N: No Man's Sky (6.7%: 4 points)
I played it at launched and liked it. I haven't touched it since and probably will never.

O: Outer Wilds (11%: 3 points)

P: Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (41.1%: 2 points)

Q: (0 points)
Okay I know what I said before but I actually am going to track down a Q at some point. This has irritated me.

R: Ratchet & Clank (2016) (19.8%: 3 points)
Again, surprisingly rare. Rift Apart is 57.9%. Also in this bracket: Raging Loop, my least rare plat at 77.1%.

S: Slay the Spire (3.6%: 5 points)

T: Transistor (9.9%: 4 points)

U: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (9.3%, 4 points)

V: Vernal Edge (6.4%, 4 points)
Random kickstarter game with a pretty offputting hard mode trophy explains why this ranks so high despite not actually being that hard.

W: Wonderful 101, The (1.3%, 5 points)

X: (0 points)

Y: (0 points)

Z: Zero Time Dilemma (57.5%, 1 point)
I like that this list is bookended with visual novels.

Total: 86/135 or 85/130

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 24, 2024

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
This is a big day, and I'm delighted that we have THREE (3) new players, taking the leaderboard up to 18 participants. The new entries have pushed me down to the bottom half of the table, ya buggers. I post an updated table every time someone reports a change, here's the new standings:

Morpheus - 98/130
Dr. Eldarion - 96/130
InEffiable - 93/130
Paying2Lurk 87/130
Fedule - 85/130 NEW CHALLENGER
ultrachrist - 76/130
Revitalised - 72/130
apohenium - 70/130
Hirsute - 69/130
ShakeZula - 68/130
Parkingtigers - 67/130
Lotus Aura - 65/130 NEW CHALLENGER
GoutPatrol - 63/130
Anti-Hero - 55/130
Raspberry Bang - 50/130
IcePhoenix - 18/130
everwake - 14/130
The Postman - 12/130

I have again disregarded the # entry for Fedule because yeah, we'll treat that option as DLC for later. I checked the game lists on PSNP and you literally cannot get 5 points for all the number title games.

Oh, you wanted a bonus for the really low score on Invisible Inc? Good news, that was the first ultra-rare letter I anyone posted, and just for funsies I also keep a list of the Metaplat, where I combine all the highest score games for each letter, choosing the first one posted when it gets to a 5 pointer. Between us, we are now only 5 points off the maximum, to give us all a frame of reference. Letter I was a tough one, it was only a 2 pointer until you came along. And yes, we are all still waiting for anyone (and god, I am trying so hard) to get an XCOM plat so we can max out that letter.

Metaplat Combined Best Games List (first game posted for each score chosen):

Axiom Verge 2 - 5
Battlefield 2042 - 5
Call of Duty: Ghosts - 5
Dead Space 3 - 5
Evil Within - 5
Furi - 5
Grand Theft Auto V - 5
Helldivers - 5
Invisible Inc - 5 NEW
Just Cause 2 - 5
Killzone: Shadowfall - 5
Lone Survivor - 5
Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 5
No Man's Sky - 4
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty - 5
Path of Exile - 5
Quake (PS5) - 5
Rez Infinite - 5
Star Wars Battlefront 2 - 5
Tricky Towers - 5
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3) - 4
Valkyria Chronicles - 4
World War Z - 5
Xenon Racer - 3
Yakuza 4 - 5
Zanki Zero: Last Beginning - 5

Alphaplat Thread Metascore: 125/130

Only letters left to max out are N, U, V, and X

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 24, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

well poo poo, there was a game I was going to grab next time it was on sale to get us a 5 point I game but I guess I can skip that now lmao

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
We could get U if anybody wants to boost Umbrella Corps. Wait, come back!

I didn't realize Various Daylife is now UR, guess I could go back to that. Probably have a better chance of completing that than the PS3 Vanquish which IIRC, doesn't have inverted camera options. Boo. And yeah...XCOM...I still need to hook my PS3 back up and try to be less dumb at it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Edit: deleted this because I forgot to click through to the game itself to check if the plat % had changed, and I was counting the "average completion" from the game search bar and not the plat %.

I really need to catch up on sleep, 40+ hours of Fallout 76 in 4 days has made my brain pudding. The list is now correct and I'm going to stop looking at it until I can brain again.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 24, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
#109: Planet of Lana

A thoroughly pleasant and enchantingly beautiful puzzle platformer in the Playdead tradition except instead of being weird and inscrutable it actually has a fairly comprehensible plot, although it sure does match the weapons-grade vibes.

It also joins the tragically vast pantheon of games that I loved whose developers have chosen violence and decided the last thing I feel towards it will be visceral hatred, because its last and rarest trophy requires you to play through the entire game without dying. This is a slow, ambling, puzzle platformer, not quite rising to something like Limbo's level of rear end in a top hat design but still full of stuff that's designed to catch you out either with unexpected or tricky requirements or just, like, the imprecision of your controls, factors which usually add to the vibe instead of causing frustration but here are brought around into the perfect circumstances to cultivate rage. Did I mention there's also no in-game backup saves, and the game immediately autosaves on any death, and also it's just generally not only slow but full of unskippable cutscenes? It's not a long game, it took like three hours to do the playthrough, but good grief was it ever not vibes. It was not vibes at all.

Anyway this does technically mean I need to immediately update my alphaplat but don't worry, it doesn't even change my score;

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (52.4% - 1 point)
Assassin's Creed III (4.8%: 5 points)
Below (5.7%: 4 points)
Cloudpunk (14.2%: 3 points)
Disco Elysium (3.8%: 5 points)
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (17.1%: 3 points)
Furi (1.8%: 5 points)
Guacamelee! (14.7%: 3 points)
Hardspace Shipbreaker (15.5%: 3 points)
Invisible Inc (0.42%: 5 points)
Journey to the Savage Planet: (7.7%: 4 points)
(0 points)
Last Spell, The (1.3%, 5 points)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2.4%: 5 points)
No Man's Sky (6.7%: 4 points)
Outer Wilds (11%: 3 points)
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (41.1%: 2 points) Planet of Lana (25.8%: 2 points)
(0 points)
Ratchet & Clank (2016) (19.8%: 3 points)
Slay the Spire (3.6%: 5 points)
Transistor (9.9%: 4 points)
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (9.3%, 4 points)
Vernal Edge (6.4%, 4 points)
Wonderful 101, The (1.3%, 5 points)
(0 points)
(0 points)
Zero Time Dilemma (57.5%, 1 point)

Total: 86/135 or 85/130

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lotus Aura posted:

Working on Balatro on and off which should be a solid one when (....if) I get the plat. A lot of it seems super grindy and RNG dependent though, which is why I imagine a lot of people would not bother with it.

The Balatro completitonist++ trophy (beat gold stake using every joker) still seems like something only absolutely insane people do, and this is something who has over 100 hours of Balatro experience (I think when I have my end of year wrap up both my Sony and Nintendo account will say balatro #1) Even when the update comes to console it sounds like an extra 100 hours to be lucky enough to hit everything.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
An incredibly minor update for me.

Alan Wake: Remastered 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum 3
C
Doom II 5
Evil Within 5
F
Grand Theft Auto V 5
Horizon Zero Dawn 2
I
J
K
Last of Us Remastered 4
Mafia III 5
N
Order: 1886 2
P
Q
Rollerdrome 4
Star Wars: Battlefront 5
Titanfall 2 4
U
Valfaris 4
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus 5
X
Y
Z

I mostly hunt on Steam right now and have quite a few more completions there that would round out my alphabet. Any thoughts on expanding the leaderboard to include other platforms?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I had stopped keeping track of my letters. I went back and looked at recent plats and the only upgrade is Enclave HD replaces Elden Ring. That's +1 point. Total of 77.

Wait, no, Biomutant % dropped below 10! So did Inscryption. +2. Total = 79

Snowrunner is at 5.03%... so close....

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Anti-Hero posted:

I mostly hunt on Steam right now and have quite a few more completions there that would round out my alphabet. Any thoughts on expanding the leaderboard to include other platforms?

Leaderboard positions remain unchanged with that boost, but always posting the table.

Morpheus - 98/130
Dr. Eldarion - 96/130
InEffiable - 93/130
Paying2Lurk 87/130
Fedule - 85/130
ultrachrist - 79/130
Revitalised - 72/130
apohenium - 70/130
Hirsute - 69/130
ShakeZula - 68/130
Parkingtigers - 67/130
Lotus Aura - 65/130
GoutPatrol - 63/130
Anti-Hero - 56/130
Raspberry Bang - 50/130
IcePhoenix - 18/130
everwake - 14/130
The Postman - 12/130

If you've got some completions on Steam that would fulfil all the plat requirements, I don't think anyone would object to looking up the PSNP % and using that number to fill out the list. There's no other way to merge platforms, as we need some metric to judge the difficulty against and PSNP is what we've gone for. A bit of manual lookup to see what the equivalent would be is the only way to do it. This is all on the honour system anyway, nobody is going to check your homework. If the Steam cheevos match the PS trophy lists (or exceed them) then feel free to claim the equivalent plat % I say.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

IcePhoenix posted:

well poo poo, there was a game I was going to grab next time it was on sale to get us a 5 point I game but I guess I can skip that now lmao

I missed this comment earlier but it turns out there are a few good reasons to play Invisible Inc, of which only one is the Trophy Number if you're into that kind of thing, and another is that it is a perfect video game, it is a perfect distillation of potent tactical drugs, it is a well stocked gym for your galaxy brain, it is a reminder that you might just be the greatest strategic genius who ever lived. I have actually streamed and backed up my last run at the game for the last trophy for the plat (an expert ironman run) and it was loving white knuckle poo poo that had me staring down the barrel of defeat at least three separate times, recovery from which is a precious memory I still cling to, talisman-like, when self-doubt starts to set in. Please play Invisible Inc.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
PSA: Doom (2016) has unexpectedly received a patch to version 1.14 that supposedly re-enables the SnapMap creation function of the game.which is also tied to a trophy.

I know this because I'm in the process of replaying this game without shutting down (rest mode only) to try to get glitched collectable trophies which didn't pop on my first run. This is so that I can 100% this game and delete it.

I'm.not.sure if this patch fixes those glitched trophies and I'm currently not willing to chance it right now as I'm more than halfway through. Would love to know if anyone else gets their glitched trophies fixed with this.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got the plat in Aeternum Noctis, a lengthy MV (30h+) that is sort of a mash-up of Hollow Knight and Celeste. I really enjoyed it. You need to play on the hardest difficulty to get all the trophies (which was actually the only difficulty at launch) and some of them are poorly/wrongly labeled but are mostly the usual MV 100%. I was too good at the game and beat it before I got the "heal 1000 times" trophy and needed to spend 5 minutes jumping into spikes. The funny thing is the steam and xbox lists are waaaay harder. No hit boss achievements, mutually exclusive paths, stuff like that.

I'm also playing Persona 3 Reloaded. I resigned myself to not getting the plat because using a guide defeats the point of even playing the game but I'm in October and going to be extremely close to maxing all social links. Gonna be a bummer when I'm a day or two short.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fedule posted:

I missed this comment earlier but it turns out there are a few good reasons to play Invisible Inc, of which only one is the Trophy Number if you're into that kind of thing, and another is that it is a perfect video game, it is a perfect distillation of potent tactical drugs, it is a well stocked gym for your galaxy brain, it is a reminder that you might just be the greatest strategic genius who ever lived. I have actually streamed and backed up my last run at the game for the last trophy for the plat (an expert ironman run) and it was loving white knuckle poo poo that had me staring down the barrel of defeat at least three separate times, recovery from which is a precious memory I still cling to, talisman-like, when self-doubt starts to set in. Please play Invisible Inc.

Oh, it wasn't invisible inc that I was gonna play. I just meant that there was a game that starts with I that I was gonna play one it went on sale again, but now there's no point

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

#116 Children Of Silentown
A pretty allright point-and-click. Art style is cool, but story is pretty average. Some decent puzzles, a few stinkers. Also some surprisingly hard mini-games.

Is the alphaplat a PS only thing? Could we start up something similar using truesteamachievements.com or something?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

GoutPatrol posted:

The Balatro completitonist++ trophy (beat gold stake using every joker) still seems like something only absolutely insane people do, and this is something who has over 100 hours of Balatro experience (I think when I have my end of year wrap up both my Sony and Nintendo account will say balatro #1) Even when the update comes to console it sounds like an extra 100 hours to be lucky enough to hit everything.

That one is very much the reason I said "if" yeah. I'll give it a shot and see how viable it feels but I imagine that I'll probably throw in the towel long before hitting possibly even half of all 150. Especially with how rare some Jokers are and how some can just delete themselves at the last moment too...

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Oh man I got a cheap game (Urban Flow) that looked neat and had a < 10% completion rate on PSNProfiles, so it would boost my alphaplat by a point... except it's tracked by so few people that me getting the plat would boost the completion rate past 10% :negative:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Oh man I got a cheap game (Urban Flow) that looked neat and had a < 10% completion rate on PSNProfiles, so it would boost my alphaplat by a point... except it's tracked by so few people that me getting the plat would boost the completion rate past 10% :negative:

Huh, that's weird. There's a PS4 version that's Ultra Rare, but it doesn't show up on the PSN page.

Edit -

Looks like it does show up on the PS App though. Super weird. And you'd have to buy it again. Don't know if it's system locked like Genshin.

Double Edit -
Oh god, the 9 cent platinums are back. Must stay strong. Must. Stay. Strong.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 27, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Platinum #377, 26th completed game of 2024: Tales of Kenzera: Zau.

I already wrote a little bit about the game in the "I beat a game" thread, and now that I've spent a couple more hours with it getting the plat I feel pretty much the same. It's not bad, but it's not that great either. A very run-of-the-mill metvania helped by some cool art and world design. The game timer put at 12 hours to get the plat, but I left it idling quite a bit so it's probably more like 10. With a guide I could see someone knocking it out in 8 hours or less.

From a trophy perspective, nothing it missable since A. the game tells you when you hit the point of no return and B. After you beat it you start right back just before that point. If you want to save time, get to that point and then run around and get the collectibles before entering the final area. Otherwise, to get all the Codex entries you'll have to enter the final area and reach the final boss again. Which only takes a a few minutes, but hey, time is time. The fast travel locations are a little too few and far between so whatever helps.

One thing I wish I knew earlier, once you get the air dash that breaks barriers (Hold L2 and hit O), it also instantly breaks the shield on shielded opponents. You have to be in the correct form for the different color shields, but either works for a white shield. Makes the later fights and Spirit Rituals much easier. (And this doesn't mean the big guys who actually hold shields, they remain annoying the whole game.)

Like I wrote in the other thread, I'd probably be harsher on the game if I had paid full price, but for "free" it was fine. Not something you should go out of your way for, but if you want a decent enough mv game that's not too long it fits that bill nicely.

Next up: Hopefully Fallout 76. Then I'll keep working on the 100% for that while getting into something else that will help my Alphaplat score.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Plat #128 Marvel's Midnight Suns

Claimed this one as a free PS+ game. The combat system seemed like it was very much not my kind of thing, but I figured I'd give it a shot since it was free and I had a gap in my schedule. By the end I liked it so much that I actually bought the DLC season pass (which also had the effect of making the NG+ playthrough feel a lot fresher).

The story is pretty good, and the gameplay loop was pretty satisfying by the end. I probably could've platted it faster but I got too invested in maxing out all my friendships before starting NG+, but that's a good problem to have I suppose.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Platinum #378, 27th game finished of 2024 (Yes I'm counting it) - Road Bustle Online

Okay look, this "game" was a penny. It's literally 1 cent on the US PSN store right now for some reason. 1 cent, 5 minute platinum. How am I supposed to resist? I'm not made of stone, people! I already have the plats for Road Bustle and Road Bustle 2 anyway, why not complete the set?

But what a weird little thing. The Road Bustle games are like someone's student project to learn 3D hit detection. You control a weird little person model and run it across roads ala Freeway on the 2600. You score points as you move, when you get hit you start over but keep going from the score you had. So reaching 2500 for the platinum takes minutes. For some reason this one has online connectivity? Is it a practice game for some other, more ambitous project? Who knows? It will probably disappear at some point. But I'll be able to say I was there. I was there, running across roads with xXDeath_R4aperXx and BobbyJ4782. For five glorious minutes, I was there.

But really, I won $50 from a betting app and used that to pre-order the Elden Ring expansion and also pick up Chronos for $6. That left me with about a buck so I grabbed a few cheap, trashy plats. This was one of them. I'm saving the others to eventually setup my #400. Not sure what it will be yet.

Anyway, back to real games now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paying2Lurk posted:

Platinum #378, 27th game finished of 2024 (Yes I'm counting it) - Road Bustle Online

Okay look, this "game" was a penny. It's literally 1 cent on the US PSN store right now for some reason. 1 cent, 5 minute platinum. How am I supposed to resist? I'm not made of stone, people! I already have the plats for Road Bustle and Road Bustle 2 anyway, why not complete the set?

But what a weird little thing. The Road Bustle games are like someone's student project to learn 3D hit detection. You control a weird little person model and run it across roads ala Freeway on the 2600. You score points as you move, when you get hit you start over but keep going from the score you had. So reaching 2500 for the platinum takes minutes. For some reason this one has online connectivity? Is it a practice game for some other, more ambitous project? Who knows? It will probably disappear at some point. But I'll be able to say I was there. I was there, running across roads with xXDeath_R4aperXx and BobbyJ4782. For five glorious minutes, I was there.

But really, I won $50 from a betting app and used that to pre-order the Elden Ring expansion and also pick up Chronos for $6. That left me with about a buck so I grabbed a few cheap, trashy plats. This was one of them. I'm saving the others to eventually setup my #400. Not sure what it will be yet.

Anyway, back to real games now.

Do you have a master list of cheap and easy plats that I can reference because I am not above doing this to make number go up

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm looking forward to what you do for #400. It's always fun to see what people do for their milestones.

My #400 was Hardspace Shipbreaker and yes it rules so hard.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you have a master list of cheap and easy plats that I can reference because I am not above doing this to make number go up

No master list, but I usually go to the current PSN sale, sort by Price - Low to High, Filter by Full Games, then look up anything under a buck on PSNP. If it has a plat and like 90%+ average completion you know it's cheap and easy. You just gotta be careful because sometimes games are cheap because the trophies are bugged and not going to get fixed.

Other than that, anything by Ratalaika is a safe bet. Stick a bunch on your Wishlist and wait for them to get super cheap.

Although for a quick list, I guess I could sort my Common plats on PSNP. Not ideal, but it might work. Lemme see.

Edit-
Hopefully this works: My cheap and easy plats on PSNP. Not a comprehensive list, but a decent start. Maybe my shame can help others.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paying2Lurk posted:

No master list, but I usually go to the current PSN sale, sort by Price - Low to High, Filter by Full Games, then look up anything under a buck on PSNP. If it has a plat and like 90%+ average completion you know it's cheap and easy. You just gotta be careful because sometimes games are cheap because the trophies are bugged and not going to get fixed.

Other than that, anything by Ratalaika is a safe bet. Stick a bunch on your Wishlist and wait for them to get super cheap.

Although for a quick list, I guess I could sort my Common plats on PSNP. Not ideal, but it might work. Lemme see.

Edit-
Hopefully this works: My cheap and easy plats on PSNP. Not a comprehensive list, but a decent start. Maybe my shame can help others.

Heck yeah, thanks. At the very least I can maybe fill out my alphaplat to have at least one game for every letter, even if they're almost all only 1 point.