Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Shortly after college when I'd gotten settled into my first apartment I had to move back home on short notice to help with my dad's health. This shook up my life in a lot of ways and while I was happy to be able to help I was still very depressed off and on throughout that year. I had a job I didn't like very much with a commute that was suddenly twice as long and even though I knew I had my reasons to be back home I still felt like I'd hosed up in some way. I was usually in charge of making dinner but since I was vegetarian and nobody else in my family was I wound up eating a lot of plain rice with microwaved broccoli on top, which had also been my dinner of choice prior to that in my crummy little bachelorette apartment.

Once in awhile though my mom would make me a quesadilla. She made her quesadillas like she made her grilled cheeses-- black, overstuffed, and really cheesy. She'd just chop up whatever veggies she had and make these, like, enormous quesadillas that could barely even fold, and I'd completely drench them in hot sauce and we'd sit around chatting while I picked at this enormous wad of tortilla.. So even now if I'm feeling blue and it's late I'll cook up a quick and lovely quesadilla, cram it full of peppers and whatever leftover tofu or whatever is around, and overcook the hell out of it. It's extremely easy but it also scratches a potent nostalgia itch.

I also like to make crummy little fake curries out of potatoes and peppers and whatever else and have that with rice or on a pita. When I'm sad spicy food perks me up and making a spicy little veggie curry keeps me just busy enough that by the time I'm done eating I usually feel a little bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU