Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Terminator 2 whips so much rear end. I wish I could rewatch it with no knowledge because the first act plays stunningly close to The Terminator, but with the roles swapped without totally letting the audience in on it. As the OP says, it's loud and bombastic, but it's also got a lot of little details that really add a lot to the overall picture. Take, for exapmple, the T-800 promising not to kill anyone but still blowing off kneecaps, or the moment when the T-800 just runs up the hood of the semi and unloads an assault rifle into the T-1000. What other blockbuster does stuff like this? I think if there's one weak point with Terminator 2, its themes are a little all over the place and its thinking on the ideas it brings up never quite gels. There's all this stuff about standing up to an uncertain future, finding family where you can, the evils/limits of technology, the banality of creating evil things without realizing, there's a lot this movie wants you to ponder, but like I said, it never fully clicks and feels half-baked rather than ambiguous. But I can ignore all that once Arnold pulls out the minigun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Your point about the T-1000 blending into normal humanity instantly put “say... that’s a nice bike” into my head. Robert Patrick is so cold and menacing in every scene.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

October Movie of the Month - Terminator 2: Shocking Dark

It's hilarious that it's commonly known as Terminator 2: Shocking Dark when it's way more of an Aliens ripoff.