Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This movie utterly blew my mind when it came out and was by far the best movie I had ever seen at that point.

Just the the Future War scene was staggering. My friend and I built all kinds of Lego death machines and created countless hopeless hyper lethal battles against the unstoppable hoards of SkyNet.

Was young John Connor put in there specifically to appeal to kids? I’m guessing not, but regardless I think it really helped for viewers of a certain age. I didn’t consciously long to be him or anything, but just having someone of vaguely the same age reacting to everything probably made it a lot easier to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPL593H posted:

Although I can't really pretend they didn't want the movie to appeal to kids because there was a full line of toys and a mountain of other merchandising aimed at kids. It's kind of interesting how at one point there were toys and stuff for R-rated films. There are still T2 toys but now they're for 30+ year old men.
I think the toys came later, didn’t they? I had some of them but I feel like they were released like 4 years later.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I’ve never heard anybody claim he was naked. I’ve always heard he wore the loudest shorts possible (checks out) so that people’s gaze would naturally be drawn down.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Thumbs Up really entered pop culture, I feel like.

About 1 minute in (also I could only find the clip in Spanish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWfyVmd_5k