Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Brunell was an assistant football coach at Providence School in Jacksonville, Florida in 2012. In January 2013, Brunell became the new head football coach and program director at Episcopal School of Jacksonville.

He was head coach of Episcopal up through this year until Campbell nabbed him for the Lions.

Was editing in the high school experience that I'd missed (and managed to screw that up the first time too, ha). But I'd imagine high school to NFL doesn't happen without him being a known player. So in this case being a player seemed to help him get a job, but that doesn't seem universal at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
For Brunell, I also seem to recall he was well regarded as a mentor-type backup during the latter part of his playing career, for what that’s worth.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Patriots coaching staff from last year had a pair of former players:

Players

RB/KR - Troy Brown - Retired in '08, bummed around doing local media and stuff, did the coaching program in 2016, then got hired by the Pats in 2019.

ILB - Jerod Mayo - Retired in '15. Hired by Pats in 2019.

Nepotism:

WR - Mick Lombardi. Kid of Mike Lombardi, yep.

OLB - Steve Belichick. Yep
Safeties - Brian Belichick. Oh you know it

Lol:

OL - Cole Popovich. A very, very distant relative of Gregg, was hired before he knew that.
CB - Mike Pellegrino - Would you be surprised to find out he's a former professional lacrosse player?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fartknocker posted:

For Brunell, I also seem to recall he was well regarded as a mentor-type backup during the latter part of his playing career, for what that’s worth.

He also played on a torn ACL because god told him to.

Get ready Texans fans.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Racism is a huge problem at the NFL head coach level and all through the coaching pipeline, and a reckoning is long overdue. That said, it bothers me a little that Bienemy is one of the key names in that reckoning now. On the surface his past is certainly problematic and it's reasonable to feel that his current success under Andy Reid doesn't outweigh that history. If you want to make the argument that lovely white guys like Matt Patricia get head coaching opportunities despite their past transgressions, the focus should be on that double standard. It doesn't necessarily mean that Bienemy deserves a shot now, it means that Matt Patricia never did. The solution to that isn't to give Eric Bienemy a head coaching gig, it's to promote other people of color who don't have that baggage, while making character concerns disqualifying for white guys too.

At the same time, systemic racism puts Bienemy's legal troubles in a different light. It's pretty hard to say he's really more problematic than other potential candidates, and he's clearly an excellent offensive coordinator. I'm sure teams have taken a chance on less promising white people who have done worse than a few speeding tickets, shoving a firefighter, or harassing a woman in a parking garage. That's stuff that often won't even enter the legal system when a white person does it. It's hard to untangle past and present racism and his coaching potential. But I think guys like Pep Hamilton, Todd Bowles, Byron Leftwich, hell even Jim Caldwell and Marvin Lewis have been done more unambiguous wrong. They just don't get as much press because they haven't had the same level of coaching success.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I think the racism is far less a factor nowadays versus the cronyism and nepotism, but that all stems from the omnipresent good ole boy mentality of old. There are so many retreads from long dead coaching trees and sons and nephews and poo poo filling up the coaching ranks.

The 3rd round pick rule is a good way to help with that but maybe there need to be more direct former-player-to-coach pipeline programs from the NFL. Would really help the diversity plus ideally also eliminate so many head coach failsons from keeping jobs

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
You'd probably get a big improvement in hiring diversity if the NFL simply enacted a no nepotism rule. The issue itself is systemic racism, whereas the attempts to find a solution are neoliberalism identity politics.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How would you enforce a no nepotism rule? The obvious first step is don't let people hire family members or relatives of their family.

But after that? What if you hire your friend's kids?

People you worked with? Studied with?

LaFleur hired Joe Barry in large part because he'd already worked with him before, not because he's actually good or anything. They aren't related at all. But Barry got his start as coordinator for his father in law's team. LaFleur famously came up the ranks alongside Kyle Shanahan. Can you meaningfully recorded that out?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Obviously there are NFL teams ran by racist front offices and racist owners, but I think the biggest "ism" preventing the hiring of black coaches seems like it isn't racism but rather cronyism and nepotism. But maybe I'm just being naive.

Nepotism and cronyism is still a direct result of racism. Those bonds that were formed by ancient coaching trees and football families were ones born of a league that didn't want to play with black people. They may have integrated in 1920 but there's an obvious reason they didn't have a black head coach until 1989.. This means that those guys who came from the Walsh, Parcell, Ditka, and to a further extent Halas, Landry, and Paul Brown were raised in a time where black people were barely accepted as athletes, let alone managerial positions. You're surrounded by like minded people and bam, you get the current nepotism and cronyism today with less overt racism. The sons of coaches who were originally handed their position with barely any competition from other races.

SKULL.GIF posted:

How would you enforce a no nepotism rule? The obvious first step is don't let people hire family members or relatives of their family.

But after that? What if you hire your friend's kids?

People you worked with? Studied with?

LaFleur hired Joe Barry in large part because he'd already worked with him before, not because he's actually good or anything. They aren't related at all. But Barry got his start as coordinator for his father in law's team. LaFleur famously came up the ranks alongside Kyle Shanahan. Can you meaningfully recorded that out?

You don't, nor should you. Nepotism is how pretty much everyone gets hired in a world of 7.5+ billion people. It just becomes inflammatory when it represents old money. I don't blame the Schottenheimers or Belichicks of the world for riding their dad's coat tails. Hell, they may be really good or even better than contemporaries because they grew up in the environment. What I do blame is the segregation that lasted way too long in the NFL.

Hell, look at the NBA. Once the 60s hit about a third of all players were black and by the 80s about a third of all coaches were black. They've been so far ahead of the curve from the other major sports that now you see nepotistic hires among black coaches all over the place on almost the same scale as the NFL. The best you can do with the NFL is make a better Rooney Rule, which they're trying to do, and let the years go by for it to take fruition.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Asproigerosis posted:

You'd probably get a big improvement in hiring diversity if the NFL simply enacted a no nepotism rule. The issue itself is systemic racism, whereas the attempts to find a solution are neoliberalism identity politics.

imagine thinking that trying to solve the racist glass ceiling in NFL hiring is "neoliberalism identity politics". imagine being that loving stupid

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you want to get teams to stop hiring only whities, build a formula based on minority hires in your organization, say something like 10 for a GM / HC / TP, 5 for an OC / DC, 3 for a QB coach, 1 for ST / other major position coaches.

Then take a chunk of revenue, equal to some modest % of the cap and dole that out in a weighted order based on the #'s from the formula. Becomes a self correcting issue. if most teams are loaded with minority coaches, then the salary cap stays even, if the league has like 3 black HC's and 1 GM, then those teams are getting enough cap space to sign an extra star player, so go gently caress yourselves.

If you hate the idea of using cap space and revenue, then replace the comp pick system with this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what does the nfl think about poc who are not black and is there a difference in how they perceive white-passing poc, as well. 5th and 7th round comp picks respectively?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
You're gonna see a shitload more of the 1/128th Cherokee bullshit.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Minnesota is a pretty good example of nepotism being a thing, although I kinda get it with Klint Kubiak. There's been six OC's in six years and there's an unsurprising desire to have some continuity on the offense. Still, he's complete untested at running an offense so who knows.

The evidence of racism is shown by what's missing. The percentage of players who are the "Not good enough to be a starter but they love the game and so they go into coaching" should be equal across the player base regardless of skin color. The fact that it's not shows that there is an issue.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

You know society is in a good state when you get “nepotism isn’t that bad unless it is also tied to racism” takes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

If you hate the idea of using cap space and revenue, then replace the comp pick system with this.

I’m okay with the latter option. The comp system is dumb as gently caress now, but rewarding teams for doing good staff stuff with some extra picks would be cool.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

a patagonian cavy posted:

imagine thinking that trying to solve the racist glass ceiling in NFL hiring is "neoliberalism identity politics". imagine being that loving stupid

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Would you like a summation of the problems in football:

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1359914380712792070?s=21

An rear end in a top hat who is good at coaching (who “retired” after he went to bat for a domestic abuser on his staff) hires an rear end in a top hat who is good at S&C (who got the boot after a decade’s worth of black former players came out to talk about him being a racist rear end in a top hat as part of larger complaints about the athletic department as a whole), and I guarantee you there are plenty of black S&C coaches or coaches who are equipped to run that post who won’t get a shot.

I thought I couldn’t possibly hate Urban Meyer any more than I already did but giving this shithead another shot in the pros is definitely a good way to go further down in my book.

https://twitter.com/bso/status/1359956073478647808?s=21

Edit: I’m sure the jags already have plenty of trouble getting players to sign with them what with the being terrible and run by assholes and actively getting yelled at in public by the NFLPA but there’s no shortage of Iowa players in the NFL who are probably gonna be actively warning people that if they go to Jacksonville to watch out for the Strength coach. Bitter Iowa fans would tell you it was only guys who didn’t like how much time they got or felt they were underused but James Daniels is both well respected by the Hawkeyes and a fairly successful NFL player and he was very open about his negative experiences.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 12, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I am glad brandon staley has hired a diverse staff

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

King Hong Kong posted:

You know society is in a good state when you get “nepotism isn’t that bad unless it is also tied to racism” takes.

I'm trying to think of a good coach whose dad coached in the NFL other than Kyle Shanahan. The ultimate example of a coach's son is Belichick, but his dad topped out at the college level and BB had to climb up the ranks himself. David Shula, Rob & Rex Ryan and Brian Shottenheimer are or were awful.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wade Phillips? Maybe not as HC, but he was a good coach for a long time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

King Hong Kong posted:

Nepotism is always bad and you missed the point on purpose I think

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Wade Phillips? Maybe not as HC, but he was a good coach for a long time.

Better coach than his dad, really. And I loved Bum Phillips.

This is weird to me, because I remember Bernie Parmalee as always being mentioned with about six other Dolphins RBs as examples of "this is why Marino never got a ring"

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1359910193803460612

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Urban responds with the characteristically tone-deaf horseshit you'd expect

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30882524/jacksonville-jaguars-urban-meyer-defends-hiring-controversial-chris-doyle

quote:

Meyer said he researched Doyle, had some intense conversations with him, and is confident that there will not be problems.

"I vet everyone on our staff and, like I said, the relationship goes back close to 20 years and a lot of hard questions asked, a lot of vetting involved with all our staff," Meyer said. "We did a very good job vetting that one.

"... I met with our staff and I'm going to be very transparent with all the players like I am with everything. I'll listen closely and learn and also there's going to have to be some trust in their head coach that we're going to give them the very best of the best, and time will tell. ... The allegations that took place, I will say [to the players] I vetted him. I know the person for close to 20 years and I can assure them there will be nothing of any sort in the Jaguar facility."

Meyer said that he knows Doyle from when he coached Utah and Doyle was the No. 1 strength coach, but Meyer was head coach at Utah from 2003 to 2004 and Doyle was there for one year in 1998 before moving on to Iowa.

His defense is literally "well, I know the guy"

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I just really dislike that an NFL coach is named “Klint”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

nah posted:

it is a terrible name

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nah posted:

There isn't one. There is one named Kliff, though.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Klint Kubiak, son of former hc Gary Kubiak, is the new oc for the vikings.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Klint Kubiak

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was thinking head coach and got confused. Klint is indeed a horrible name.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Hoop Dreams posted:

Klint Kubiak, son of former hc Gary Kubiak, is the new oc for the vikings.

Thankfully his middle name is Alexander.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Right now I'm hoping this guy finds out that life's a lot harder when you can't use you position of authority to bully a bunch of teenagers. And then gets "Hey, Nick!"-ed by all the jags players into oblivion.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Achernar posted:

Right now I'm hoping this guy finds out that life's a lot harder when you can't use you position of authority to bully a bunch of teenagers. And then gets "Hey, Nick!"-ed by all the jags players into oblivion.

Think he deserves the Geno Smith if he tries it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Is Director of Sport Performance just the NFL title for an S&C coach?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

GD_American posted:

Is Director of Sport Performance just the NFL title for an S&C coach?

The Browns have a "director of high performance" and a Head of S&C. Think the performance guys are in charge of some of the wearable tech stuff that you see.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

OK. I just wondered if he was gonna be the guy screaming to do more reps, or if he was gonna be riding a desk.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think something that's kind of overlooked a little bit too is that an NFL headcoach is in charge of over a hundred people and it's also why coaches often don't make good GMs. That's a lot of people to be responsible for and there has to be a level of trust when it comes to who you choose to be in charge of the smaller groupings. You're obviously going to naturally gravitate to a known quantity rather than taking someone who you've never worked with before. I'm not saying this is a justification for not looking to fill the assistant roles under guys you trust with people you may be unfamiliar with but I think a lot of what can be chalked up to as nefariousness is also done simply because people don't think "who can I give an opportunity to" and more "oh god, I don't want to gently caress this up who do I know that can at least do the job.

It makes sense as to why someone might hire their son, or someone they came up under as an assistant to be their defensive coordinator for example rather than someone they've otherwise never met or worked with. A lot of people raised questions about Rhule brining along Phil Snow to be his DC when he was hired because he's simply not that storied as a coordinator, but he's someone Rhule knows won't second guess him, will be loyal and is basically just a known quantity.

Conversely Rivera when he came to Carolina kept Ron Meeks (the former defensive coordinator) on board as his DB coach wanting to keep some continuity but had to fire him (I believe mid season) because there was a significant amount of white anting and second guessing going on behind the scenes.

I don't know how you address that or combat that but there's 0 way you can tell coaches you can't hire people you trust.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

BlindSite posted:

I think something that's kind of overlooked a little bit too is that an NFL headcoach is in charge of over a hundred people and it's also why coaches often don't make good GMs. That's a lot of people to be responsible for and there has to be a level of trust when it comes to who you choose to be in charge of the smaller groupings. You're obviously going to naturally gravitate to a known quantity rather than taking someone who you've never worked with before. I'm not saying this is a justification for not looking to fill the assistant roles under guys you trust with people you may be unfamiliar with but I think a lot of what can be chalked up to as nefariousness is also done simply because people don't think "who can I give an opportunity to" and more "oh god, I don't want to gently caress this up who do I know that can at least do the job.

It makes sense as to why someone might hire their son, or someone they came up under as an assistant to be their defensive coordinator for example rather than someone they've otherwise never met or worked with. A lot of people raised questions about Rhule brining along Phil Snow to be his DC when he was hired because he's simply not that storied as a coordinator, but he's someone Rhule knows won't second guess him, will be loyal and is basically just a known quantity.

Conversely Rivera when he came to Carolina kept Ron Meeks (the former defensive coordinator) on board as his DB coach wanting to keep some continuity but had to fire him (I believe mid season) because there was a significant amount of white anting and second guessing going on behind the scenes.

I don't know how you address that or combat that but there's 0 way you can tell coaches you can't hire people you trust.

The reasons for cronyism and nepotism are not a mystery that needs to be solved. We already understand it.

What needs to happen is greater incentives for hiring practices that actually reward merit regardless of who you know - or what you look like. The 3rd round pick thing is a good start.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

BlindSite posted:

Tldr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I mean a manager of a Costco is in charge of over a hundred people too but they don’t exclusively hire their friends and children to run the produce section.