Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

How many games does patricia get through before he's fired? I'd prefer before the end of this game personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ehud posted:

where was matt patricia when columbia exploded?

Probably busting into a lady's hotel room with his buddy.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Strictly speaking Patricia has a masters in aeronautical engineering.

And a grand jury indictment for sexual assault.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Brand New! Sheila Ford (may?) not have the patience of her predecessors but who the gently caress knows. There's a problem with pulling the trigger to fire someone too quickly as well as too late but we know which side the Lions ownership have fallen on the past few forevers.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I've been hearing for like 5 years now that the Lions are the dark horse pick to win the division or make the playoffs. I guess if you say it every year you might be right one of them (you won't).

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't care if they lose the next two games by a point and look great: they'd still be 0-4. Who's the next GM and coach we are looking at (which is a real lions thing to say before the third game of the season)?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Caldwell had the best win percentage for the Lions other than 7 games of Gary Moeller (4-3) in 2000 and they still pulled the trigger on canning him for the fat white patriots coordinator that can calculate rocket trajectories but not how to get a woman's consent. Dunno if Bieniemy's skin tone matches what they are looking for at HC, but yeah I think he would be a great hire and the reid tree is probably the best one I can think of currently.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Nah they already got the mandate that it's either playoffs or getting poo poo canned this year. Quinn's job is tied to Matt's.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So how many so called "hard nosed" coaches are actually successful in recent history? And how many follow coaches that have more of a motivator reputation and have success? I'm thinking again of the move from caldwell to patricia and I'm having trouble even figuring out the thought process other than "he was a patriot." Wouldn't it make more sense to go from a disciplinarian that gets you to the edge of contention to a motivator that gets that bit extra out of the players rather than the opposite? My coaching knowledge is admittedly limited to basically the NFC North (and specifically the Lions) so if there's plenty of examples of me being wrong then so be it, but it seems like the obvious conclusion is exactly what happened - going from a culture that is fun to strict when you were previously winning, you're losing now, you're gonna alienate your players. Does this work on non dysfunctional teams?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I mean specifically NFL. I suppose a hard rear end college coach going to the NFL and winning would apply if they don't adjust their player treatment.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Well patricia has set a record for it so.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has Patricia blown two straight 26-10-or-better leads?

The record-setting string:

Week 2 – led 14-3 in Green Bay, lost 42-20

Week 1 – led 23-6 in the 4th quarter over Chicago, lost to the Bears 27-23

Week 17 of 2019 – led the Packers 17-3 at halftime, lost 23-20

Week 16 – led 10-0 at Denver, lost 27-17 to the Broncos

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Nobody here was saying that.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Imagine anyone thinking a team could benefit from Jeff loving Fisher.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'd rather take the HC job for the Lions than the jets, so I'm not sure there is anything worse to say.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If you hired gase in the first place your decision making is fair game for questioning. If you keep him on the staff after that cocaine and hallucinogen fueled press conference where his eyes are darting around non stop, you should be shown the door with him.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Worked for the Lions!!

He said a better coach, not a whiter coach.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah that whole timeline was loving clown shoes management. "Caldwell can't get this team to contender level, and the level of talent on this team should put them right on the edge of it at a minimum" - an assessment I actually agree with. Patricia is hired and immediately there's a huge regression in their ability. "Well he needs time to install his scheme and players" - wait what? This team was already on the edge of contention with the roster they had why are you torpedoing everything that got them there? I mean he should have been given zero years in my opinion but barring that you get 1 season to get your poo poo together and if you still look like hot garbage halfway through the next at the latest you should be gone. Not 3 years of failure with a team that you justified firing the last coach because he wasn't taking them to the next level.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Not super bowl run talent, no. A roster that was on the edge of contention, though, yeah they were.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I mean, I don't think the players or fans deserve it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It was pretty good the level he was able to elevate the team after how poorly they had sunk, but it was clear he wasn't going to get them to take the next step. For as much as they were able to over perform sometimes, there were too many games they were absolutely unprepared and that were poorly game-planned.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You monster.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Buy 1 get 1* free!

*1 win/season

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That really is a quality phrase and I laughed at least.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think he gets 2 years at a min.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I mean it could be they trusted him until they saw these dumb poo poo moves and the win record it produced, and realized they need to stop the bleeding before it gets worse and he gets more desperate.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol imagine some proposed trade for all the Patriots castoffs now on the Lions that got him canned.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol that actually happened to my cousin's great grandfather or something when he immigrated to America originally and that's why his family's last name is instead a common first name.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I mean they are 4-1 so he can't be that hot.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Right but also missed the playoffs, which I don't see happening this year. I mean yeah if they completely collapse down the stretch then sure but if we are talking right now I don't see how you think your job is in danger with that record.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

This hell year will not end until patricia is sacrificed to the coach firing gods.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No quinn situation

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah gone with the Quinn is the best hands down.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Say what you will about Matt patricia

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Zurreco posted:

He is bad

I will posit this: he is worse.

Who would you all rather take, if we exclude the fact one of them is probably a rapist and based only on coaching - Gase or Patricia? I mean I know the answer is a solid "Neither are you loving nuts?" But given your team of choice which one do you think would have the slight sliver of success on?

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 12, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Zurreco posted:

Also, Patricia is a sexual predator.

The only reason I used couched language is because I feel like I've railed about this enough both here and in the NFC North thread and I assumed it was getting tiresome, not that I don't actually think so.

Also, practice in the snow when their next game was...indoors.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

indigi posted:

that's like training at 10x Earth's gravity. gotta respect it

issuing correction on this post of yours, regarding the rapist Matt Patricia. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If your game comes down to a lateral to win, you're probably gonna lose. If it's a last second field goal though? Plenty of games come down to that and I wouldn't put it on coaching, even if there was a blown lead.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'd rather have anthony lynn than a rapist. Also yeah that chargers medical staff is pretty suspect with the whole punctured lung and all. Were they involved in that painkiller scandal several years ago too? I feel like they were but probably different personnel at that point.

I didn't realize Pep was on the staff, always heard good things when he was at UofM.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah out of the coordinator to head coach hires fangio seemed like one of the better ones to take a shot on. Doesn't sound like it's working out too hot but hey denver had a good run.