Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Only Gallagher can save us now.
Hail, and well-met, goony adventurer! Do you recall the tale of The Sword of the Bastard Elf? That was the 2015 forum thread about a fictional roleplaying game that was turned into a front page article and proved popular enough to be kickstarted into a well-reviewed actual roleplaying game.

Well, in this apocalyptic era full of crisi-tunities, interactive virtual shows are flourishing, annnnnd you already read the thread title, so I'll cut right to the chase.

I'm a long-time gameshow, burlesque, and comedy host with a voice actor / comedian cohost, and we're going to be putting on an interactive virtual performance of The Sword of the Bastard Elf, possibly as a series, with some help from its writer Sam Iacob, who will be joining us in the audience. We'll be engaging with audience members to put them in the driver's seat to determine what terrible decisions the elf is going to be making next and why, and we'll try to reach that holy grail of finding crash space on the elf's father's couch before the end of the show.

BULLET POINTS
- Speedy combat because I made an application to automate it
- The elf can die a few times before the show is over
- There's a time limit for the show, after which all combats (or "hassles") are lost automatically and any death ends the show
- Audience members in charge of the elf are chosen in rotation and change at every new decision point
- We'll likely be using Zoom
- The visuals will be alternating between video of the hosts and the illustrations from the book
- This will be free to attend, but we'll probably be using that Eventbrite free ticketing thing to manage distribution of the link right before the event
- This will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube

YOUR TURN
No date is yet set for this, because I'd like to collect a small group of around four people to try out a test run of this and offer feedback. I know Something Awful Forum Goons™ are famously hesitant to offer criticism, but if you want to help with the test run, shoot me a PM. Once that's done, a date will be set (probably in October), and this post will be updated with information about how to join in on the fun.

In the meantime, this is the place for questions and suggestions.

UPDATE
:boom:
October 24, 2020 at 4pm pacific / 7pm eastern / 11pm GMT
Snag free tickets on Eventbrite
RSVP on Facebook
Watch the full promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2K3athcgUA

Horrormelon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Lodin posted:

Will this be archived? I probably won't be able to catch it live due to time zones.

Absolutely! It will be recorded and thrown up (in every sense) on YouTube.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

We just did a private test-run of the show for a small audience that went for two hours before the elf died (beaten to death by a naked lich who was interrupted whilst bathing), and it went over really well. I recorded the session, and I'll be using the footage as part of a promo video for the main event. Once the video's done, it'll be posted here, along with a date and a link to snag a free ticket to the show. If you're interested, kindly bookmark this thread and look for it later. Or just PM me and ask to be updated.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

By the way! If anyone's curious about the application that's streamlining hassle-resolution, or plays the game themselves and would like an easier way to run through combat, here's the "Bastard Elf Hassler" script: https://bastard-elf-hassler.phantomwatson.com/.

I still need to tweak it a little bit to allow for miscellaneous re-rolls allowed by special items or forced by status effects. And I might add dice animation, but :effort:

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Nooner posted:

SKULLMUND DOT COM BITCH

What... the... fffuuuu :aaa: *jaw slowly unhinges, followed by confused gurgling sounds*

Skullmund certainly shares SotBE's / Saint Isaias Boner's infectious preoccupation with skeletons.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Promo video finished, using footage from a small test-run! :toot:

I, my cohost, and Saint Isaias Boner just need to settle on a date a few weeks in the future for the show to give us time to promote and prepare. I'm suggesting maybe the first week of November, or the week before Halloween instead if everyone's too antsy to push it back that far. Once that's done, that info and the call-to-action will be slapped on at the end of the video and we'll start the countdown.

For anyone who wants to see a sneak preview, here's the everything-but-the-date almost-finished promo video.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Thursday Next posted:

Holy poo poo. I didn't know you actually made this thing for real. I loved this thread!

It's real and it's like twenty pounds of fun. Seriously, you could play through the absurdly expanded story dozens of times and/or leave the book on your nightstand in case you ever need to brain a burglar with it.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

:boom:
October 24 at 4pm pacific / 7pm eastern / 11pm GMT
Snag free tickets on Eventbrite
RSVP on Facebook
Watch the full promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2K3athcgUA

Horrormelon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2020

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Getting the word out about this has been tricky. The promotional video (and I guess the event's title) use too many naughty words for Facebook to approve an ad (censorship notwithstanding), and there's some error with the Something Awful ad-uploading page preventing me from buying an ad for this thread. I'm not getting any response from the SA support email address about it either. So for now, looks like it'll just have to be word-of-mouth. :\

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Ownership STILL hasn't been transferred?!

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

The "Bastard Elf Hassler" app has been updated to account for (I think) all of the items and circumstances that affect dice roll mechanics. Anyone who plays the game is welcome to use it to streamline hassle resolution.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Reminder: This is going down tomorrow at 4pm Pacific / 7pm eastern / 11pm GMT. :woop:

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

And the show has concluded! Big thanks to everyone who joined, especially Saint Isaias Boner, who was gracious enough to share some of her wisdom in a pre-show interview and clarify some rules during the game. I'll be throwing the video up on YouTube in the near future for people to watch.

If there's interest, we'll do a second show where players will vote to either pick up where our last adventure left off or start over at the beginning.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

I'm not done editing the whole video from the show, but here's an excerpt of the short pre-game interview with Saint Isaias Boner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB-IYCM0WIk

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Video posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSc9AE-FDEU

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

I enjoyed editing it in a way that captured you cracking up at a few points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Bumping this ancient thread to mention that the Bastard Elf Hassler app is still receiving occasional updates for players who want to streamline rolls and have Effort -> results probability math done automatically for them. You know, that very plausible demographic of Choose Your Own Adventure power gamers.

https://bastard-elf-hassler.phantomwatson.com/