Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nah it wasn’t explained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

how did lelands hair color change in one night? was that just not explained??

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fart simpson posted:

how did lelands hair color change in one night? was that just not explained??

vault-tec hair dye

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
she's obviously a ghoulie or golem or whatever but has a cache of skincare products

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

indigi posted:

she's obviously a ghoulie or golem or whatever but has a cache of skincare products

a ghoul reversal serum would have been a way better macguffin compared to cold fusion

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

there's a guy that has never-age serum in fallout 4, the whole series loves a hand-wave reason for pre-war humans to bop around

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

how did modlyver survive a million years? how did she get herself frozen like the vaultco execs? was this explained and i missed ir completely or just ... whatever, westwrold writing?

not explained but i think the implication is what you suggest frozen like the vault execs, which is probably going to be a significant plot point of season 2 that walt goggins family was frozen as well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
of the dumb poo poo in s1 i think its pretty consistent with whats established canon. also i would assume they have him meet his daughter as an adult who was unfrozen 20 years ago or something cause thats the kind of thing Todd would do and it makes for easier casting/production.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i read tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow and boy howdy does it do 80s/90s nostalgia so much better. mostly because its incidental to the plot and not load bearing like rp1.

curiously this got recommended to me by multiple women in my life which is interesting because on balance its a book about people making video games. im also unsurprised because ultimately its more about the intrapersonal relationships which is why this book succeeds where rp1 fails

a++++ would recommend

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the way you were comparing it to ready player one i thought it was by the same author

idk who this gabrielle zevin character is, but at least there's the possibility that she doesn't suck. at the very least i expect the minimum to be higher for woman authors writing non-romance*

* this is because when women write jerkoff material, it's usually labeled "romance." when men do it they tend to shoehorn it into other genres and try to pretend they were typing with both hands. nk jemisin breaks the mold, but she's also good at writing so ill allow it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol at least once a month I look through the Kindle Scifi/Fantasy deals section, usually 7 or 8 pages of book deals starting with more well-known stuff but as you get to the last couple of pages :eyepop:

its good that in the modern age of kindle self publishing you can choose exactly the amount of weird sex stuff you want in your pulp sci fi/fantasy. back in the day authors would just surprise you at random 3/4 the way through a book. or randomly in sequels since dune is on everyone’s minds

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

no but my partner who is not a gAmeR gUrl asked me who john carmack was while reading it. shes not one for pop culture pandering so i knew it was good wheb she finished it and liked it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Casual Encountess posted:

i read tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow and boy howdy does it do 80s/90s nostalgia so much better. mostly because its incidental to the plot and not load bearing like rp1.

curiously this got recommended to me by multiple women in my life which is interesting because on balance its a book about people making video games. im also unsurprised because ultimately its more about the intrapersonal relationships which is why this book succeeds where rp1 fails

a++++ would recommend

that one keeps showing up in like "related" when im looking for something to read but im just super turned off by "three friends who work at a game developer". thats not a judgment on anything its just me going "ugh no" for that reason only lol

idk

maybe i should check it out. i respect you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw i re-read the freeze frame revolution (novella by peter watts) last night cause i didnt have anything else handy. also remembered there was an encoded message in the book, but i kinda lost track and assumed it was the post-script ("i see you've found ...") but its actually not the same. theres a url with another part that i definitely havent read before, and a "to be continued..." so thats interesting

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol at least once a month I look through the Kindle Scifi/Fantasy deals section, usually 7 or 8 pages of book deals starting with more well-known stuff but as you get to the last couple of pages :eyepop:

i'm the tribal tattoos

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

its good that in the modern age of kindle self publishing you can choose exactly the amount of weird sex stuff you want in your pulp sci fi/fantasy. back in the day authors would just surprise you at random 3/4 the way through a book. or randomly in sequels since dune is on everyone’s minds

yeah it seems like romance kinda stuff is a bit more common/accepted.

they've turned from bodice ripper covers with ripped fabio dudes to just kinda boring covers though it's interesting. i just pulled this one from goodreads, but half of the new romance novels these days just have illustrated, sedate covers designed to catch millennials.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

did you not see the dragon book nnm posted??

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
dan harmon is writing a live-action one punch man screenplay

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eeyo posted:

yeah it seems like romance kinda stuff is a bit more common/accepted.

they've turned from bodice ripper covers with ripped fabio dudes to just kinda boring covers though it's interesting. i just pulled this one from goodreads, but half of the new romance novels these days just have illustrated, sedate covers designed to catch millennials.

for kindle stuff does anyone actually see those covers?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it is now possible to set your kindle to display the highly embarrassing cover of whatever you're reading

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rjmccall posted:

from the man who brought you “alcoholic, self-hating super scientist” and “alcoholic, self-hating alien” comes “alcoholic, self-hating superhero”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

it is now possible to set your kindle to display the highly embarrassing cover of whatever you're reading

do the charge extra to display a different less embarrassing cover

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rjmccall posted:

gross

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my one small criticism of the fallout show was that there were no scenes scored with the song "big iron"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i just wish you could download a 300 kb epub without a 6 mb cover image. even 500 kb would be nice. i have the space but gently caress sake, its an epub. im not gonna buy a 4K projector and display it on my wall in the next room

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

my one small criticism of the fallout show was that there were no scenes scored with the song "big iron"

obviously thats for s2

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

obviously thats for s2

harumph ok we'll see

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fallout was janky as hell but i respect the effort.

how old is ron perlman, 80 some? probably too old to go for full body makeup as a supermutant. maybe he can be an abandoned overseer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Carthag Tuek posted:

fallout was janky as hell

yes we've all agreed its very true to the source material

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

i just wish you could download a 300 kb epub without a 6 mb cover image. even 500 kb would be nice. i have the space but gently caress sake, its an epub. im not gonna buy a 4K projector and display it on my wall in the next room

no, you're going to display it on a 2360x1640 iPad two feet from your head

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for fallout, i’ve only watched the first episode, but why does nobody immediately clock the raiders? like presumably they’ve been swapping couples for generations, you’d think it would be incredibly obvious

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah that part makes no sense. there’s other fuckery going on later that wasn’t explained yet either. like the other pregnant woman is apparently from vault 31 but she wasn’t one of the original vault tec executives that got frozen. also when they clean up the destroyed vault and make it look like nothing happened. obviously everyone knows raiders took it over. i guess we don’t know why the original vault 32 peeps died yet

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

it makes perfect sense, they live in vault 31 and are super trusting of everyone

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

if you're not reading dune on IMAX then you're not having the true experience.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Happyloony posted:

if you're not reading dune on IMAX then you're not having the true experience.
the true dune experience is reading a beat up paperback that you got for fifty cents at a library used book sale

or handed to you from your dads bookshelf :3:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

it makes perfect sense, they live in vault 31 and are super trusting of everyone

okee dokee!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

indigi posted:

I’m in

I’m so loving in

lol if you do pick SUGAR up post your thoughts when you get caught up, for such a mid show it's been on my mind a lot wondering where it's all heading.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pseudorandom name posted:

no, you're going to display it on a 2360x1640 iPad two feet from your head

:hmmno:

rotor posted:

yes we've all agreed its very true to the source material

:hmmyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
honestly i'm surprised they didnt have a thing where someone in the background clips through a door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rotor posted:

honestly i'm surprised they didnt have a thing where someone in the background clips through a door

personally i would have liked a scene where she bartered a flare in exchange for a flare and 10 caps repeatedly until the merchant had no more caps