Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i also started rewatching heroes and it holds up pretty ok for the birth of the prestige era. i miss filler episodes. it feels fun and like the x files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i will probably not watch past s1 tho i remember it nosediving pretty quick because the writers wanted an anthology format but the studios demanded the s1 people return

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

i will probably not watch past s1 tho i remember it nosediving pretty quick because the writers wanted an anthology format but the studios demanded the s1 people return

the writers strike also derailed it a bunch but yeah it falls off a cliff

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

i also started rewatching heroes and it holds up pretty ok for the birth of the prestige era. i miss filler episodes. it feels fun and like the x files

filler episodes are criminally underrated. i always tell people that want to get into the x-files that the actual plot episodes are the worst and they can skip them/read up on fox being tortured about whatever on a wiki if they really care.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

agreed, x files plot eps had moments but sucked. the monster of the week was where it was at

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

same goes for sg1

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

The Fool posted:

same goes for sg1

i don't think they're as bad as the x-files specifically but absolutely yes

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hell i have a soft spot for all the tng/ds9 filler episodes.

like the one where the alien artifact slowly transforms the ship is my jam. so 90s.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that episode of seinfeld where they get stuck in the parking garage was a nice breather from the breakneck pace of the overarching plot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Fool posted:

same goes for sg1

I haven’t watched sg-1 for a while but I’m pretty sure some of the best O’Neil and Tealc moments are in plot episodes?

you’d also miss out on the actual deaths of Daniel Jackson but confusion regarding whether or not he’s alive this particular week is also a running joke so :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there is at least one episode that is entirely daniel dying, over and over again

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

and then there’s the one with his parents dying, over and over again

poor daniel

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

there is at least one episode that is entirely daniel dying, over and over again

there’s also one for O’Neill which was pretty early iirc

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh yeah there's one with teal'c dying over and over again too isn't there.

does sam get a dying over and over episode?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also french stewart is a marine, and he dies in the sandstorm

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

ive been doing some french immersion through dubs and its fun to watch sg1 and ds9 in bad french dubs because i already know the episodes so its easier to parse the french. sisko’s “i lied, i cheated, i bribed” speech hits different in the original french

i mean hell check out the tng monologue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kENGBnMmU1M

poo poo slaps. seven of nine is still seven of nine in french weirdly enough, though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pourquoir n'est-pas "commandeur", mais seule "commander"

j'ai non croya eh ici

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hobbesmaster posted:

do the charge extra to display a different less embarrassing cover

[decline] money in the bank

early fringe and person of interest also have good filler. I like tight seasons, but I also like a low-stakes story to break up the sweeping story points

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Eeyo posted:

i'm mostly thinking of the scene where they're walking across the airfield in the first episode. it looked very marvel movie to me, in a bad way.

so i saw a still from this scene and i know what you're talking about and have a theory why; it's the same suit copied five times/offset from the same walking footage. the scuffling is identical on all five and they come off as flat due to the duplication

they have several functional props seen in other shots, so maybe they comped it together to save on shooting complexity or other suits weren't ready, like a pilot situation. imdb credits several people for other suits, so they do eventually have more, but not for the establishing knights arrival

the same suit is shown on the rack later, while the one next to it looks somewhat deflated, so that again feels like they weren't ready with the additional props in time for the first episode. the battle in episode 8 has additional suits in the same shot and with interaction, but from comments from extras it sounds like it took over 2 years to film everything, so that's plenty of time to fabricate more during production

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i think the thing i liked most about t&t&t is nobody was loving quippy. easily my biggest problem with contemporary lit. i really liked gideon the ninth, the lesbian space necromancer book but i almost put it down multiple times because of all the dumbass one liners.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also i keep trying to read books about werewolves or vampires or other supernatural creatures fuckin’ but trying to find ones that arent like completely embarassing is a challenge.

ive generally been trying to read queer romance novels but nothing has really hit for me. gideon was probably the one ive enjoyed the most. also court of thorns is loving awful and ive read all of them. it doesnt get better. idk. im trying to give this genre a fair shot but perusing the listings is rough

quote:

He was my enemy. My lover. My husband. And the one man I swore by all Olympus I would destroy.

*A scorchingly hot modern retelling of Aphrodite and Hephaestus (and Pandora and Adonis).*

Aphrodite has never flinched at getting her perfectly manicured hands dirty, and she's not about to start now—even if that means marrying Olympus's enemy number one, the new Hephaestus. She has a wicked plan to keep her deadly new husband off-balance, seducing the one person he seems to care about most in this world: Pandora, a woman as beautiful as she is sweet.

Two can play the seduction game, however, and Hephaestus is all too happy to put his new wife in her place. Her ex, Adonis, seems like he'll do the trick. It doesn't hurt that he's gorgeous in the way of fallen angels, either.

The only problem with using seduction as a weapon? Hearts are all too quick to get involved. With Hephaestus and Aphrodite trading venomous strikes that feel a whole lot like foreplay, lines become blurred and emotions entangled. But a broken heart may be the least of their worries. With unrest in Olympus reaching new heights, these bedroom games may have deadly consequences for themselves, their city, and everyone they've come to love.

woof

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

i think the thing i liked most about t&t&t is nobody was loving quippy. easily my biggest problem with contemporary lit. i really liked gideon the ninth, the lesbian space necromancer book but i almost put it down multiple times because of all the dumbass one liners.

the none pizza left beef joke in harrow was dire

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
real vampires cant gently caress, if you are readin a book and theres vampires bangin its not canon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
or they’re secretly not vampires (spoiler alert)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

real vampires cant gently caress, if you are readin a book and theres vampires bangin its not canon

checks out, twilight vampires aren’t real vampires.

they need inhumanness so they become an allegory for human’s thirst for power.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/spliggle/status/482463783089352704

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Eeyo posted:

checks out, twilight vampires aren’t real vampires.

they need inhumanness so they become an allegory for human’s thirst for power.

i mean my whole slant on supernatural romance is im trying to find people using supernatural abilities as a metaphor for queerness. and i know its out there but theres a maelstrom of wank material between where i and what i wanna read.

im also taking book recs for poo poo i can crush in a hammock. player of games isnt quite hammock material for me but i need more than like star wars rogue squadron. i briefly contemplated rereading some of the 90s forgotten realms stuff by salvatore and cunningham but idk if a salvatore novel will hit as hard in 2024

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

finished the fallout show, it was ok. i went in expecting bethesda-quality writing (read: bad) and that's more or less what i got, but characterizations were better than a bethesda fallout game, at least. could've used a scene or two of someone awkwardly walking onto a chair or holding their gun upside down or rubber banding into the sky, you know, for authenticity

i actually think i would prefer a series that takes place entirely pre-war, i feel like there's a lot to explore there

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i'm Sarah Michelle Gellar in the second frame

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hi sarah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vampires can't get boners because they haven't got any blood pressure. but they can still do hand or mouth stuff

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
do vampires have buttholes?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tune into season 2 if Interview with the Vampire to find out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I need to finish season 1, so maybe it's answered in the finale

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

movies don't have seasons

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

The Fool posted:

movies don't have seasons

but they will

battle passes, too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
That's a very depressing thought

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

yes i'm real good at those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/blacklcult/status/1781762256872816739?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA