Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

when he died in the showing of DP2 i went to someone in the audience screamed "No!"

x-force fan

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

When you miss that 95% shot

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

ADINSX posted:

PLEASE REMAIN CALM

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

I audibly lol'd at the PLEASE REMAIN CALM

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Casual Encountess posted:

i also started rewatching heroes and it holds up pretty ok for the birth of the prestige era. i miss filler episodes. it feels fun and like the x files

i think "filler" gets overused as a term and isn't really applicable to a show that isn't trying to be a "ten hour visual novel" or whatever the gently caress some producers jerk off about

in a lot of shows - even modern ones! - each episode shares a larger context of a common setting and characters but still each tell an individual story with a beginning and an end. not advancing a larger story arc does not necessarily make an episode less worthy of production or attention.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iirc "filler" was originally used for anime adaptations that for whatever reason ended up with less adapted content than airtime and had to start making up standalone side stories

and now it gets used for every show that does an episode where you feel they did not advance your favorite subplot enough

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
heroes specifically was mostly not episodic. there were like four plot lines it was advancing constantly. it did do a lot of character-/world-building in otherwise secondary stories, though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

given that an issue of secret wars shows up in the first trailer this movie might be the tva or the beyonder just nuking the mcu as a coherent timeline and doing the battle planet as an excuse to launch into something else. I mean kang is already off the table and he was their next big bad

kang's not off the table. literally all they have to do is recast him, given that they've textually shown that variants don't have to be the same gender, race, or even species.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just use kodos instead, no one will even know the difference

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i voted for the other guy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

just use kodos instead, no one will even know the difference

kor or koloth, imo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

PLEASE REMAIN CALM

A milkie gif with "please stop posting" as 1s fire into the wall

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

I audibly lol'd at the PLEASE REMAIN CALM

I did too, partly because well, but also because the success rate matches the turrets in my C.A.M.P.

edit: the last time, it was mole rats that had eaten half my ground-level decorations while laser turrets watched placidly :argh:

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 23, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apparently leto II likes to party

https://www.reddit.com/r/dunememes/s/JDl6fuEkFM

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think "filler" gets overused as a term and isn't really applicable to a show that isn't trying to be a "ten hour visual novel" or whatever the gently caress some producers jerk off about

in a lot of shows - even modern ones! - each episode shares a larger context of a common setting and characters but still each tell an individual story with a beginning and an end. not advancing a larger story arc does not necessarily make an episode less worthy of production or attention.

i mean yeah i dont disagree. im sure ive posted about how much i love the expanse’s ability to have really good scenes where people just kinda vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OpBaxiDWrg

most people totally miss this on first watch but i loving love tiny details that have nothing to do with the plot

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
yeah the bit where the guy says 'do you like cucumbers' and points to a tray of cucumber sandwiches, followed by a 4 second pause in dialogue and cut to some woman lighting up and rushing over to the sandwiches, followed by a cut to her eating a sandwich while everyone else just kind of stands around not interacting with the environment, was real subtle

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ADINSX posted:

:xcom:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/clownbusting/status/1782611972082557251?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

bush did shady sands

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

shady sands really got shuffled this time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

well-read undead posted:

shady sands really got shuffled this time

more like well-lit sands

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

more like well-lit sands

too soon

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

people were talking about 4:3 and 16:9 tv shows so i'm importing that discussion over here.

what's the deal with the star trek releases and this? i figured they were all 4:3 since it was broadcast tv, and that's what the dvds from the library i've been getting have all been. i think the release netflix had was widescreen, and with new special effects, but i have no idea how they got there.

the dvds are also weird, you can tell they're bad quality for a dvd. like i also picked up stargate sg1 and the quality is much better, actually looks ok on my laptop screen? it's also widescreen but i have no idea what the did with that either.

also on a side note, when i got the dune dvd (shut up i don't have a way to watch blurays) it also kinda looked worse than you'd expect a dvd to. like mad max looked much nicer than dune did.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i don't think netflix ran a widescreen cut of the older series but i guess i wouldn't put it past them to hack it up themselves. the HD remasters were done in original 4:3 format and that's what's on the blurays. star trek TV shows didn't go to widescreen until Enterprise

the TNG DVDs look real bad in part because editing on video tape (as opposed to editing the film itself) was very new when TNG came out. the production guys liked to say the hardware was borderline experimental when they first started the show. on the one hand it degraded the quality a bit (especially the color coding on those first couple seasons of TNG) but on the other hand it was waaaaaaay faster/cheaper than doing it the old-fashioned way in film, especially with all the special effects they were doing. anyway at the end of the day the TNG DVDs just didn't have good masters to start with.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok i’m probably just misremembering then it’s been a while.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'd you wanna get technical (and you know we do!), 35mm film isn't really 16:9 aka 1.78 ratio, it's usually framed for 1.85 for movies from a 3:2 open frame film size (for non-anamorphic lenses). so a lot of movies that were originally 1.85 in the theatres get cropped to 1.78 for home release and it pisses me the gently caress off lol. it's not as bad as when they take a 4:3 show and just crop it to 16:9, that poo poo is just ridiculous.

there's a lot of fuckery with aspect ratios going on since widescreen TVs took over, and it's stupid.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 24, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
anyway, tonight's watching was one of Jackie Chan's serious movies, Crime Story, based on the true case of a business man who gets kidnapped. Jackie doesn't get any real fighting scenes til about halfway in, but they're pretty decent. good story of corrupt cops and whatnot.

and somehow, the end credits are all out of focus while the background image is in focus! poo poo takes talent lol

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Agile Vector posted:

A milkie gif with "please stop posting" as 1s fire into the wall

Milkie gif with the dog face in place of “please stay calm” and the guy is a 5

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol.

I finished Fallout last night. I give it 3.6 rads out of 5: not great, not terrible. It was fun, but shallow. There were just too many simultaneous storylines.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
has anyone read that Nuclear War Scenario book that Denny Villnew optioned like the day after it released

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

indigi posted:

has anyone read that Nuclear War Scenario book that Denny Villnew optioned like the day after it released

no, looks like its non fiction?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well it's certainly not narrative but given the entire book is applying real-world research to a series of suppositions I think it qualifies as sci fi. I might take a crack at it this weekend

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

indigi posted:

well it's certainly not narrative but given the entire book is applying real-world research to a series of suppositions I think it qualifies as sci fi. I might take a crack at it this weekend

ya just skimmed the amazon preview, looks interesting

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
forgot how silly & fun the City Hunter movie was, I probably last saw it in the late 90s one some badly cooked VHS tape. kinda wild that Jackie did both that and Crime Story in the same year, like he wanted 2 polar oppositely toned movies lol.

the BD looks great except for a couple of scenes that look like they were shot on 8mm film or something! either that or the original 35mm elements weren't available and they went with what they had. who knows, maybe they looked that bad in the OG release?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

reading Some Desperate Glory by Emily Tesh. rather YA-style heavy handed, but its pretty good so far

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yall were praising Sugar earlier so im checking it out and lmao did he just catch a fly with his chopsticks in the first 5 mins? wtf is this lmbo

very like "lincoln lawyer" now, with the LA intwait ive seen this before

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it doesn't get any more grounded than that, and it's spectacular

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

indigi posted:

it doesn't get any more grounded than that, and it's spectacular

yeah its coming back to me now. ive seen at least this beginning before. its very connelly

good actors tho, and i dont remember the plot yet, so im gonna keep at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is weird, im gonna read it as sugar being kindof a neard who watched too many gangster movies and so far by luck has gotten away with acting like a gangster. hammer gonna come down or im gonna be mad