Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

so the guild is the only group that can travel between planets because of their navigators right, and they need spice to do so. and there was mention of spice quotas not being met because of the fremen attacks. so it makes sense that the guild would happily buy spice from smugglers to fill the gap especially if it was being sold for less than the harkonnens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Glorgnole posted:

i would like to ask that someone please come up with a clever dune pun so we can retitle the thread. current title has been in place since before the first denis dune.

would you still love me if i was a worm?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

polyester concept posted:

so the guild is the only group that can travel between planets because of their navigators right, and they need spice to do so. and there was mention of spice quotas not being met because of the fremen attacks. so it makes sense that the guild would happily buy spice from smugglers to fill the gap especially if it was being sold for less than the harkonnens.

yup, plus the guild is effectively sovereign. everyone in dune 1 is theoretically a subject of the emperor but he's got very little actual power compared to the harkonnens/guild/choam/bene gesserit

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

haveblue posted:

not wrong but I brought up the middle east because herbert admitted he intentionally paralleled OPEC

plus the man cribbed hard from 'the sabres of paradise' so yeah lots of the basics are not really spun out of whole cloth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

right, so how is this useful anywhere. why would you focus on naval power — not space naval, actual naval — in a universe where presumably all significant military disputes are interplanetary. do you just pay the guild to airdrop your entire fleet into place so you can blockade your enemy’s seaports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYsumX7Or-c

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quiggy posted:

yup, plus the guild is effectively sovereign. everyone in dune 1 is theoretically a subject of the emperor but he's got very little actual power compared to the harkonnens/guild/choam/bene gesserit

basically like danish kings in the middle ages until early modern times, and many other germanic/non-primogeniture areas i expect. kings had power as elected by the nobles. though it was generally the oldest son, he was only king at the mercy of the nobility. many times, oldest was a failson or a radical, so instead the kingship went to a nephew or a daughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haandf%E6stning

cf also how much power the east india company had in british politics, etc

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 22, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

speaking of succession laws, dune uses a form of agnatic or salic primogeniture - female line descendants are excluded from succession

this is why Jessica disobeying orders is a big deal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

speaking of succession laws, dune uses a form of agnatic or salic primogeniture - female line descendants are excluded from succession

this is why Jessica disobeying orders is a big deal

what line of succession? baron harkonnen wasnt even aware she was his daughter (and she wasnt either) and she was leto's concubine, not his wife/duchess

she has no right to any title unless columbo shows up

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 22, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

would you still love me if i was a worm?
steven wrightishly "I don't even love you now"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
half right. jessica disobeying orders is less of a big deal for the future of house atreides than for the future of the bene gesserit. what was supposed to happen was that jessica has a girl and then pauline atreides is mated to feyd-rautha harkonnen to produce the kwisatz haderach a decade or two later. the bene gesserit have been anticipating this for centuries and are set up to control this child from birth. jessica choosing leto's desires over her orders threw this off. this is why mohiam, through the emperor, ordered baron harkonnen to spare paul and jessica (which he technically did, in the most evil way possible) on the hopes that it could be recovered somehow. the plan is then thrown into even further chaos when feyd challenges paul to a fight to the death. and is then utterly destroyed when he loses and it becomes clear that paul is already the KH

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 22, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

five long years the emperor kept the family atomics up his rear end

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmbo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

what line of succession? baron harkonnen wasnt even aware she was his daughter (and she wasnt either) and she was leto's concubine, not his wife/duchess.

Jessica only bearing daughters means Leto doesn’t get an heir

actually I see what you’re saying, the confusing thing is that Leto never married and made Paul legitimate but there was a plan for Leto to marry somebody so it doesn’t make sense to make that call 16 years ago (or I didn’t catch if they aged Paul up). I can only assume that Leto somehow decided that his “real” heir can only come from true love or some such?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

Jessica only bearing daughters means Leto doesn’t get an heir

actually I see what you’re saying, the confusing thing is that Leto never married and made Paul legitimate but there was a plan for Leto to marry somebody so it doesn’t make sense to make that call 16 years ago (or I didn’t catch if they aged Paul up). I can only assume that Leto somehow decided that his “real” heir can only come from true love or some such?

ooh ok same page now. yeah i think leto was just so much in love (film) or affected by jessica's bene gesserit pussy power (book? been a while) that he was like okay im gonna legitimize my bastard son

that was a thing in denmark as well, "lyse i kuld og køn", where youd go to the thing (you know, the thing) and declare the kid your own. then they get full inheritance, etc. otherwise nothing

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
wait is paul actually the KH though (i somehow thought he was just the final precursor)

i refuse to read any sequels

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes he is. That part is in the first book

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

both paul and Leto II are explicitly referred to as both being kwisatz haderachs

it would make some sense if Leto II was the only real one and in children he does seem to find some sort of “higher” understanding even before his metamorphosis but frank wrote that they both count

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
cool, I realize that's potentially a major misunderstanding but somehow I'd thought it was the KH that turns into a worm and thus equated the two

anyway I really want to see someone turn into a worm

e: okay I buy that too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

both paul and Leto II are explicitly referred to as both being kwisatz haderachs

it would make some sense if Leto II was the only real one and in children he does seem to find some sort of “higher” understanding even before his metamorphosis but frank wrote that they both count

*kwisatzim haderach

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thank you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shukran

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The kwisatz haderach is a male reverend mother. Women only have access to their ancestral female memories/personalities, but men would have access to both the male and female lines for some reason Herbert leaves unexplained. This would make the kwisatz haderach fully clairvoyant (hence all the questions to Paul about dreaming of things that later happen). All of the men who have tried the reverend mother ritual were killed by it. The breeding program is trying to create a male who is strong enough to survive it and become a super reverend mother, so that the bene gesserit can use his powers for their devious plots.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

regarding the ritual: the candidate drinks poison and then, through supreme control over her own physiology, changes it internally into a non-toxic form. it doesn't have to be done with sandworm goo -- that's just what they use on arrakis because it's available and has religious symbolism. on other planets without sandworms the bene gesserit obviously use other poisons.

my question: is the orgy always a part of it, or was that added by the fremen? does the candidate just have to neutralize the poison, or does she also have to turn it into space E and barf it up so all the other sisters can get it on?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I keep forgetting if it’s “the” or “a” kwisatz haderach

the real question that raises is what is ghani. other than too cool to be in any book for a significant period of time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kwisatz haderach means something like "the seer of the way," re his clairvoyant abilities, so presumably there can be more than one if they get more than one dude who can survive the ritual. but The kwisatz haderach will be the first one ever

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

the more that is explained about dune the less it makes sense

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eeyo posted:

he is not the one ...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eeyo posted:

hi moneo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
frank actually borrowed the term kwisatz haderach from the jewish kabbala

dune wiki posted:

It's likely that the term was borrowed by Frank Herbert from the Kabbala. The compilation of Jewish mysticism the core of which is entitled HaZohar (The Book of Splendor) ascribed to Rabbi Shimon bar-Yohai, ascribed by Jewish people to have been written in the 1st century C.E. Modern scholars ascribe it to a sephardic Jewish author around the 13th century. The term itself is Hebrew, "K'fitzat ha-Derekh", (קְפִיצַת הַדֶּרֶךְ) literally, "The Leap of the Way," by means of which an initiate may travel some distance instantaneously, appearing to be in two or more places at once.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/workshopping memes for Elon

A picture of Lynchdune Gaius Helen Mohiam with the caption He's Not The Messiah, He's A Very Naughty Boy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*extremely fremen accent* how shall we gently caress off, lisan al-gaib

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

polyester concept posted:

it's been a few days since I watched dune 2 but I can't stop thinking about the visuals. everything was so on point and satisfying. so menacing. even small things like how their laser weapons were continuous beams of light rather than the typical PEW PEW projectiles you see in sci-fi. I remember thinking the same thing in the first part, when the bombs were slowly penetrating the ship's shields. just a delight to watch.

it's so good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

elon: go gently caress yourself :smug:

everyone: lmao did he just try to use the voice? sounds like a big crying baby wtf? did you tell him to do this?? im gonna post this on Z - the actual future platform

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
quidditch hattrick

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rjmccall posted:

quidditch hattrick

:mods: i hate this

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

but the empire still runs on Duncan

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eeyo posted:

it's never too early to stop reading dune explanations

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the thousand sons of Idaho and nine daughters of Siona would seem to indicate that “marry” doesn’t work out well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rewatched “guns akimbo” last night, it’s a dumb but entertaining indie action movie. kinda uneven in spots but worth a watch imo