Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they let us back in and let us watch it. gently caress i’m glad i saw that in imax

Yep.

What did you think of the changes from the book? I thought that it was actually really a good idea to condense the timeline and not have Alia born yet. Having 2-year-old who talks like a grown up running around slitting people's throats is really cartoony and dumb. I didn't even like that part in the books. It's much more narratively clean if Paul is the one who kills the Baron, and I thought that having Jessica talk to her unborn daughter was an effective alternate interpretation of the character.

Similarly I'm glad they took out Paul and Chani getting married and having a baby when they're both like 16, and Paul also being married to Jamis's widow, and the Sietch orgy. Jamis' widow and Leto II(a) are irrelevant characters and the rest is terrible 1960s sex stuff. Sorry Frank. Denis got that one right.

The only thing that I was hoping to see and didn't was the lasgun-shield interaction, and I was a little surprised at first that they left that out, but then I realized they never established that aspect of the technology, and the atomic missiles are a perfectly good MacGuffin secret weapon anyway, so I'm fine with it.

I love the lasers in these movies.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also there was the trailer for Furiosa and sure, i'll watch that.

problem with mad max though: where are all the electric vehicles?

battery electric is absolutely 100% the way to go in the apocalypse. why spend all this time and energy fighting over gasoline when you can run your car on solar, wind, hydroelectric, hell even burn cow poo poo to fire a boiler and spin a generator?

yeah it takes a long time to recharge with a rooftop solar panel, but you're in australia and you've got nothing but time.

yeah lithium batteries aren't easy to procure, but lead and acid are cheap and plentiful.

it just makes so much more sense.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

electric motors don’t make cool engine sounds and shoot fire out the exhaust though

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Elder Postsman posted:

electric motors don’t make cool engine sounds and shoot fire out the exhaust though
evs need a v8 flywheel

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

battery electric is absolutely 100% the way to go in the apocalypse. why spend all this time and energy fighting over gasoline when you can run your car on solar, wind, hydroelectric, hell even burn cow poo poo to fire a boiler and spin a generator?

yeah it takes a long time to recharge with a rooftop solar panel, but you're in australia and you've got nothing but time.

yeah lithium batteries aren't easy to procure, but lead and acid are cheap and plentiful.

depending on chemistry lithium secondary cells on average lose half their capacity after just a few years. after a decade without remanufacturing you’d have no working lithium chemistry batteries.

lead acid batteries are easy to service, but they have like 30-40 Watt hours per kilogram of capacity. gasoline has an energy density of 12 kilowatt hours per kilogram.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

road warrior pretty clearly established you can’t be both an itinerant sort AND also just wait around for solar charging, what with the demented motor gangs

i think an ev using scientist/hermit works though. you basically would have to already have lots of know how, be a great scavenger or have the resources to trade to hire them (plot hook), and be ok/crazy enough to live so isolated you have time and safety to build/charge

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

but, like, realistically that’s also going to be most of a sideplot to a mad max. not really super interesting/novel enough to commit to screen unless you can have the ev save the day at the last minute in service of a larger objective. maybe for a tv series?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

hey george where are all the electric vehicles?

“offscreen being boring as gently caress” *makes revving noises before flipping me off*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
never seen the original mad max 1 but I get the sense that the apocalypse happened pretty quickly as the society-wide gas crisis rapidly worsened and spiraled out of control into violent unrest

the EV migration will take a while

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

society descends into chaos as dweebs start killing each other for the few remaining $700 tesla tires

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

the real play is bicycles.

easily serviced, efficient, silent. can go more places than a motor vehicle.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mad max but it’s roving bike couriers in the post apocalyptic streets of new york city

they fight over liquor and spare parts

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The only thing that I was hoping to see and didn't was the lasgun-shield interaction, and I was a little surprised at first that they left that out, but then I realized they never established that aspect of the technology, and the atomic missiles are a perfectly good MacGuffin secret weapon anyway, so I'm fine with it.

there was at least the harkonen partol where they get yelled at to not turn on their shields during the first laser attack and that was enough for me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

haveblue posted:

never seen the original mad max 1 but I get the sense that the apocalypse happened pretty quickly as the society-wide gas crisis rapidly worsened and spiraled out of control into violent unrest
you should watch it. more of a slow collapse but definitely violent unrest. also a goose is cooked

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sagebrush posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think anything about the mad max movies actually makes sense if you think about it at all, so I would suggest turning off your brain

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
aren’t they literally fighting for water. in a post-apocalyptic society where the population has crashed. and yet somehow there’s no water

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

no they're fighting for guzzoline

mystes
May 31, 2006

rjmccall posted:

aren’t they literally fighting for water. in a post-apocalyptic society where the population has crashed. and yet somehow there’s no water
all the water fell through a wormhole into waterworld

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

I don't think anything about the mad max movies actually makes sense if you think about it at all, so I would suggest turning off your brain

yeah i had to shut off my brain after the start of mad max fury road.

i was thinking "what's the deal with all these weird looking guys? why are they painted all white? why do they need this guy's blood?". but it's not supposed to make sense, i just gotta vibe with it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eeyo posted:

yeah i had to shut off my brain after the start of mad max fury road.

i was thinking "what's the deal with all these weird looking guys? why are they painted all white? why do they need this guy's blood?". but it's not supposed to make sense, i just gotta vibe with it

the movie even basically says “shut up and look at the guitar flamethrower”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rjmccall posted:

did you not notice its a desert?

if you want them to drink up, waterworld is thataway ---->

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
australia could only exist in fiction

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

a sandworm did it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

australia could only exist in fiction

Australia - Dune - Desert Planet.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if ur gonna skip a mad max, the first one is the one to miss

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

Yep.

What did you think of the changes from the book? I thought that it was actually really a good idea to condense the timeline and not have Alia born yet. Having 2-year-old who talks like a grown up running around slitting people's throats is really cartoony and dumb. I didn't even like that part in the books. It's much more narratively clean if Paul is the one who kills the Baron, and I thought that having Jessica talk to her unborn daughter was an effective alternate interpretation of the character.

Similarly I'm glad they took out Paul and Chani getting married and having a baby when they're both like 16, and Paul also being married to Jamis's widow, and the Sietch orgy. Jamis' widow and Leto II(a) are irrelevant characters and the rest is terrible 1960s sex stuff. Sorry Frank. Denis got that one right.

yeah i thought cutting jamis’ widow out was a good call and was something i expected. similarly i wasn’t sure how they were going to handle his little sister and just showing her once as an adult in a prophecy was a good compromise. i also enjoyed that they added the nukes and used them because it was something the book mentioned but then never did anything with.

what i’m not so sure about is how they ended it with chani getting pissed and leaving to go her own way. on the one hand i liked how it was in the books because paul demanding the emperor’s daughter and then immediately being all ‘but chani is still my bae you’re just a side piece’ is a real power move. otoh chani getting pissed and leaving kind of drives home the point that paul is becoming a bad guy at the end for the audience which probably won’t see more dune movies to really spell it out for them. idk. gonna have to sleep on this one

also whoever mentioned that the lasers in this movie are the first depiction in cinema where they *really* feel like they have a menacing punch to them was correct. i’m predicting this is just how lasers are going to be portrayed from now on in most sci fi now that everyone has been shown how it’s done

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i’m going to take over the mad max franchise and make them set the next one in tasmania and it’s going to be a plucky post-apocalyptic romcom and sometime in the third act when the leads are desperately trying to get back together after breaking up someone’s going to take a ride on a boat and the guy with the boat is going to be like “ey mate didya hear there’s an apocalypse on the mainland” and the male lead will look surprised and it’ll never be mentioned again

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

Australia - Dune - Desert Planet.

all the "foreign" words in dune are etymologically from some contemporary language.

- landsraad, from landsråd, a form of government in which noble houses etc
- ornithopter, from ornitho- meanin of birds, and -pter, something that flies
- shai-hulud, from شيء خلود meaning the eternal one
- arrakis, from australia, meaning southern shithole

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rjmccall posted:

this is explained in Solarbabies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like how in a book where every third word is a made up concept and it takes places on a distant planet tens of thousands of years in the future there’s still coffee

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

I like how in a book where every third word is a made up concept and it takes places on a distant planet tens of thousands of years in the future there’s still coffee
The beans most flow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
saw a nick cage film called the dream scenario

it was better than i expected. kinda a dramedy/dark comedy sorta thing? nick cage plays a university professor who starts appearing in random people's dreams and it's about him dealing with the celebrity that comes from that and how it changes people's perception of him

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
dunc 2 makes some really smart changes to the narrative but i also think it's too bad that there won't be an extra long extra indulgent version, i could watch as much dune as they can put in front of me right now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Improbable Lobster posted:

saw a nick cage film

i thought this said nick cave and it made me remember Johnny Suede

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r911eFy9y5w

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dunc 2 makes some really smart changes to the narrative but i also think it's too bad that there won't be an extra long extra indulgent version, i could watch as much dune as they can put in front of me right now

tbh, as one who has suffered through many extended cuts, i appreciate it more this way I think

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

saw a nick cage film called the dream scenario

it was better than i expected. kinda a dramedy/dark comedy sorta thing? nick cage plays a university professor who starts appearing in random people's dreams and it's about him dealing with the celebrity that comes from that and how it changes people's perception of him
i enjoyed that it took a wacky premise and just went through all the stages without blinking. it didn't try to do too much or combine two mostly incompatible storylines like american fiction did

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
when he had trouble turning off the light I went «ah so it has all been a dream» but then i remembered he turned on a light earlier in the movie without problems

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

if ur gonna skip a mad max, the first one is the one to miss
this is also true. worth it for completionists (most completionisms aren’t)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

mad max 1 is really weird. there's no apocalypse, it's just slow societal decay and the movie is set quite early in that process. there's still a police force, a hospital, and a roadside diner. the people in the town are living normal lives in normal houses, not hunkering down in their compounds fighting over who gets to eat the last scrap of shoe leather. it's more like a 1950s movie where a gang of teens turn up in leather jackets to menace a town

the whole thing is pretty much retconned away for mad max 2

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 31, 2024