Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

so holy poo poo i'm watching Atomic Blonde (2017) and its not scifi but is one hell of a cold war artistic color balance cold war nutshot asskicker movie and i literally never heard of it 4 hours ago

Atomic Blonde was def a great sleeper hit, mostly because it really just nails that cold war berlin setting that also makes me wish I had been able to experience berlin in the late 80s.

e: for more hot Charlize Thereon but in sci-fi, I really liked The Old Guard that just came out. I don't know what the source material is but the movie is an action movie about a small group of immortal people dating back to Sumarian times that still do figthing poo poo. Not great, but its a fun shlocky movie

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

last night's feature film: The Old Guard (2020)

i guess im on a charlize kick

I enjoyed it a great deal and it was fun without feeling superhero-ey, and is obviously set up for some sequels, which i will also watch.

one of the queerer comic-based films that ive seen too. it's good
Yeah glad you enjoyed it. It gave me fun mid 90s/early 2000s action-movie vibes with kinda schlocky fun-not-up-it's-own-rear end with simple big evil capitalist trying science for profit kinda of plot.

Also the gay characters owned

I'm trying to think of some other Charlize things but those are the two recent ones that come to mind. Well I guess Mad Max Fury Road if you haven't seen it you shoudl rectify that. I guess Snow White and the Huntsman was OK, not great

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 16, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol I had to cover my eyes at the face ripping scene too. face ripping is my gore limit

it wasn't even gorey but the faceripping scene in star trek insurrection and the body crisping poo poo in mystery men had me queesy for days. i was like 10 though and it's tolerable now but man i remember that did not sit well with me at all. the cgi is hilariously garbage bad awful in retrospect

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I can't watch anything with steven segal or tom cruise because I hate their faces

have you seen Edge of Tomorrow? its probably the onyl good cruise movie bc he also dies a bazillion times, genuinely also a really fun movie; aside from Collateral.

i totally agree otherwise

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i liked the part where the mean lady told mission impossible that you can't cum the time travel into someone and stopped him right in his tracks lol

i forgot about this scene so i just rewatched the movie and lol yeah that owned. i didn't intend to watch the whole thing but ended up happening. still a good movie

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the first like 2/3rda of edge of tomorrow is also a good antidote for action movie machismo because it shows how hillariously dangerous even really mundane stuff is. Try to roll under a truck? gently caress you it runs you over. Then it collapses into action movie bs, but there is at least the justification that he has gained an insane amount of combat experience through time travel
well.. yeah but it's at least explainable that he's probably died like 1,000,000 times. i never felt like 'oh no now its action movie time this sucks!' when watching i

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

as far as i can tell the only contact graph has with this forum any more is posting baseball videos that no one cares about and periodically putting smoka in jail for anime

regime change now
:agreed:

I don't have much love for anime (does primal count as anime? Primal was cool) but i also don't have some weird goony-self-loathing hate boner over it either in order to loudly declare that i'm a so much cooler normal-guy unlike those other nerds because see how much I Hate Thing. imo let people enjoy and talk about what they want to, and also youtubes are unembedded for me anyways so i can just like.. not click smoka's youtube links. maybe if people are spamming actual .gifs/.webms writ-large and become a problem sure ok. And stuff like eva/akira/gits/cowboy bepop/whatever is sci-fi afaik so it's on-topic.

seems stupid and arbitrary in tyool 2020, and also purple-stymie was right.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Roosevelt posted:

don't wear a man bun, ffs

man buns are sexy and cool

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shaggar posted:

i think the way they're doing it is kinda smart cause they're protecting you from binging but also giving you 2 eps each release day. if there was more content to fill out the other days i dont think people would care as much.
i think this is true. i can see the pros and cons but yeah having other content is important.

from an Big Netflix-type (or even really any media), you want your show to remain in the zeitgeist for as long as possible and keep subs going (be it cable or streaming services). there is also the ability to release-as-you-go although I think most of the time they're already finished before they go out the door. from my limited experience, and I can't say I watch much tv these days, is that shows that drop a big steaming dump all at once get some brief flash fanfare and then wink out of existence very quickly. there's also that just having "too much dumped on you" at once is kind of discouraging in a way that seeing yet another Big Triple AAAA publisher Open-World game is just dauntingly ughhh whereas picking up something that "has just started" is easier. But also waiting too long in between is also dumb--maybe (and probably) weekly is optimal, maybe twice-weekly works just as well, maybe every other week also works almost as well although prob not

people with a lot more data than us and being paid infinitely more than any of us have probably mostly figured this out. i think one of the give-aways is that streaming services initially tried "big steaming dump" of episodes all at once approach and have seemed to backtracked to a more cable-approach of weekly-releases, so they're probably came to the similar conclusion for their bottom line.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 25, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i assumed the multi-year gaps in their release schedule was what killed venture bros

yeah yeah animation scheduling but that still seemed too long even for that
definitely. i was surprised to hear it was even still A Thing because I remember watching that poo poo back in the early/mid 2000s and dropped off in like... 2009? like it pretty regularly went 3-years without a new season and very easy to go "huh was that still on?" like everyone does when you mention Archer which at least came out once a year - 1.5 years

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

halftime update: holy poo poo this movie is good and i hate every single review that's all BuT iT tAkEs iTsElF tOo sErIoUsLy like thats the whole god drat point you absolute hack

matt had a good vlog rant where the only two movie options these days are grimdark-realism ~SERIOUS ART~ nolan-garbage or quippy self-aware ironic-poisoned Whedon writing where every character is going "oh wow, so THAT just happened. so huh we're doing THIS now". super serious vs knowingly humorous

and both are loving garbage, bring back fun-and-endearing-sincerity

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SmokaDustbowl posted:

did you watch colour out of space? that was the good poo poo

yeah i really liked that. 2019 was actually a really great year for movies (lumping COOS into 2019 even tho i think itwas like jan 2020). the previous years of like 2010 to 2018 mostly sucked, and now it looks like 2020+ is going to suck.

all of my favorite recent movies have basically been A24 films as well. if it wasn't for A24, movies would be trash

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

btw lmaooo the prequels suck so loving bad yall. i mean you knew this but. oh my god

they suck and acting/dialog is dogshit, but at least lucas had a vision and passion for poo poo. these days i generally like more endearing-passion even if the final product is garbage because at least you can see some humanity behind it. that's more than i can say about the jjabraquels

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FMguru posted:

yeah the one thing i will say about the prequels is that lucas at least tried to do something different, something that wasn't just more x-wings and stormtroopers and the millenium falcon

the problem was that he was the exact wrong person to write and direct a space opera version of i, claudius

and then disney bought the franchise and cranked out an endless stream of dull movies with more x-wings and stormtroopers and the millenium falcon and etc etc
yeah pretty much. i'll vast prefer some authentic/sincerity in a passion-project over yet another big budget design-by-algo/committee digital entertainment equivalent of soylent. just give me some loving humanity and something new somewhere in there

that's also why a lot of recent A24 Films (esp Ari Aster work) and other low-budget stuff has been the best things ive seen in like a decade because there's like, passion and sincerity in there, and it's not refined down to a dull knob everytime there's something that's ridiculous they just roll with it because gently caress yeah

that probably didn't make sense but oh well

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yo I don't give a gently caress about riker's relationship with his father
*stav voice* star trek is about being gay with your dad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Roosevelt posted:

i watched the last two episodes of lovecraft country and it's...boring! i really want to like it, but i don't think they have any idea what direction they're going. i think having a dozen executive producers may have something to do with it

I'm still pretty early on, kinda fallen behind for various reasons, but I think the best part about it is some period-piece sets they did were really cool. Rest of it? yeah it's just alright. good production values, not bad, but it's also overhyped as a lot of ~prestige tv~ tends to be.

also gently caress the sound editting holy loving poo poo, put the loving vocals on a louder stream and normalize the effects a bit more aaaaaaaaaa

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

yeah idk if any of his movies have lived up to the hype for me with the possible exception of Dark Knight and even that I have a bunch of problems with. mainly I liked it mostly because of Heath Ledger if I'm being honest
i liked memento and prestige but i saw them in theater when he was just a n00b

everything after that? yeah pretty much. i was on vacation when Inception came out and everyone was hyping it up and finally saw it months later and i was like... really? it was awful and the action wasn't even very good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

I haven't seen wolf of wall street but the message a lot of the worst people got from it was "being an alpha bro finance douche is totally awesome [the bad stuff won't happen to me because I'm smart though]"
idiots are always going to lionize the gordon geckos or the dumbest elements of fight club, or that boot camp from FMJ owns and military is cool- - thats not a mark against a movie.

wolf of ws was really good just because everyone in it is loving trash and trash monsters are also running america (all the corporate boards, hedge fund, private equity leveragers, politicans, management, etc)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

rotor posted:

I kinda think it is though. If you make satire and it ends up as propaganda for the people you're satirizing, maybe your movie isn't good.
a tiny handful of brain damaged morons will always exist, and they're worthless. everyone else who watches something like fight club will go "hmm yes... wow complete social alienation and atomization and toxic masculinity is hosed up and damaging" and a small minority will go "WOW FIGHTING BAD rear end, NEED TO BRING BACK MASCULINITY"

it'd only make for far far worse entertainment to constantly beat you over the head going duhh did you get it yet, did you get it yet? how about now???

Trabisnikof posted:

nah starship troopers owns
basically gently caress u if you dont like starship troopers, or robocop. they're perfect movies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

i watched Ponyo last night. it was weird and cool. i liked it.

we were doing a ghibli kick the past couple of months. it was pretty good though certainly their 2005+ movies haven't been nearly as good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah, all satire is bad, and also all art

and all statements that have been made and can be made, really

this. book burn all copies of starship trooper and robocop. unnecessary fascism apologia. the only thing worth watching is Crash 2004 on repeat for the rest of your life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SmokaDustbowl posted:

a good trilogy for halloween this year is videodrome, they live, then escape from new york
hell yeah

i really want to setup maybe a pos/spam movie-watch night every fri (or sat) around midnight for the month of october watching 2spooky movies but i have no idea how to setup a twitch-like system where i can do and stream it with a chat. maybe discord streaming? or can you do a private twitch stream without them cracking down?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
gratzi :tipshat: i'll take a look

is that the node.js setup though that requires people to do some weird plugin on their browser or is it pretty seemless?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

infernal machines posted:

it's not bad, it's just not very good either. the writing is flat and there aren't that many laugh out loud jokes

it's also incredibly cheaply animated. it looks cheap.

Season 1 was quite promising and enjoyable, i can't say i noticed the animation looking particularly bad in that, but season 2 was a noticeablely big decline in both animation and writing/etc.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i too was expecting the notoriously risk-averse film industry to forgo box office receipts and release films costing hundreds of millions of dollars direct to netflix
hell, same

not surprised but lol at there even being theaters to show it to in 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i think he’d be happy how that industry turned out

hst otoh he checked out before politics got to the uh well
yeah his mccain campaign and fox news pundit essays are just quaint now. i think he'd find it pretty funny though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

The Fool posted:

I liked it

:same:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jabor posted:

the story made no sense, the action scenes were laughable, never any real stakes or pathos

perfect mindless action flick imo

mindless action flick should have good action

it doesnt need to be john wick precision but idk, even Shoot 'Em Up or Equilibrium has silly good action scenes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Schadenboner posted:

Finished The Sad-Brained Horse Show.

I feel like they shoulda ended it an episode earlier than they did?

:geno:

E: Don’t get me wrong, it was a good episode and even a decent final episode but it feels almost like it cheated by not having the second-to-last episode be the last one? :shrug:
either one would have worked but one of the things that it always tried to shake was cynicism and it is a rather sincere show that purposely eschewed cynicism trying more to capture the zeitgeist of a laundry list of DSM-V problems (codependency, ocd, lifetime of building regets, obsession, alcohol/drug addiction to escape, masculinity, asexuality, etc etc) that people don't want to face/discuss and how people are affected in differing ways and that "it's okay, you aren't alone in your problems". although they did have the heart-rate machine beeping there at the end of the preceeding implying he didn't die so it could have worked, but they really wanted one more "so how do you come back from an attempted suicide" and face the people you know to wrap it up and not just leave it hanging

that said the preceeding episode was better, and final could have been better; but either or would have worked, and it wrapped up well. much better than i expected going into the last season tbf

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 13, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

i agree, it's extremely masturbatory

see also: movies about young scriptwriters/actors/filmmakers, who are smarter/better than everyone else but misunderstood, just trying to catch their big break in hollywood. gently caress off

e: also movies about middle aged businessmen having a crisis trying to figure out why their mansions and cars don't make them happy. especially in hollywood. gently caress off
sure all that is true... but...

counterpoint: Synecdoche, NY is a god-tier masterpiece and seymor-hoffman's (rip) magnum opus

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
good finales:
- hannibal
- nathan for you
- justified
- chernobyl
- bojack
- fargo*
- mr robot
- h jon benjamin has a van
- over the garden wall
- tuca & bertie
- primal
- broad city
- too old to die young

ok finales:
- psych
- happy endings
- pushing daisies
- burn notice
- awake

bad finales:
- lost
- bsg
- dexter
- nip truck and every other ryan murphy show
- stargates
- all treks
- mythbsters
- got
- fringe
- breaking bad
- westworld
- nikita
- altered carbon
- stranger things
- every other p r e s t i g e tv
- a zillion half-finished shows

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 15, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

breaking bad had an overwrought but still Good ending.

lol i forgot about nip/tuck. i watched that whole loving show. remember the episode where dude just flops his dick out on the table YOU WANT THIS GUY TO DO SURGERY ON YOUR TITS? SURE YA DO
tbf i was mostly trolling there, it was decent and about as much as they could wrap it up (other than walt ending up in prison forever which would be stupidly unsatisfying)

yeah n/t was awful, but also just an absolutely batshit insane show progressively somehow getting evne more insane from the start and i have a love/hate relation with it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i'm not kidding at all though when I say Nathan For You has absolutely the god drat best finale i've ever seen. I don't feel it'd have quite the impact if you just go directly to it; although you certainly can, but god drat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

also is mr robot Finished finshed? i've never seen a second of it, i was waiting for it to end before i dove in

It is, it wrapped up I want to say in Feb of this year or something. It was REALLY good I would highly recommend it

the only downside is that if you're starting just now, early seasons are kinda quaint Obama-era-as-gently caress naivity that would just come off as LMAO now. i dont know how to describe Obama-era As gently caress, but you'll understand. then again it's also only like 4 seasons long (10 eps each) and doesn't waste much time wtih filler, so it's an easy watch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Roosevelt posted:

i just remembered i've seen every episode of House, except the very last one

it wasn't great no but also could be worse. they rode off into the sunset on a midlife crisis. part of that was just House-fatigue. s1/s2 were really good and then just started getting worse and worse and i just lost interest in it entirely on/off. it went on for about 3-4 seasons too long.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 15, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Chris Knight posted:

jj abrams and lindelhof, Star Trek Into Darkness: critic embargo until after opening weekend so no knows we just remade wrath of khan and worse

no you see... kirk dies instead of spock! fuckin' motherfuck genius. GOTY

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

karl urban is good. see also: dredd, almost human

almost human was so frustrating because it was kinda lovely by the books serial-NCSI clone network tv garbage with a gimmick that was barely used at all, but it started to get really good and then got cancelled. i suppose that's pretty typical of the time though

but yeah i love urban. see also The Boys

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

it was also aired out of order, because fox

it was about as good as you could hope for from the first few episodes of a mid-2000s sci-fi series on fox. they use the name bitcoin, yeah, but it's just "money on a usb stick"
jesus gently caress i forgot about that lmao

god drat fox is fuckinbg trash. have they even had any hits in the last 6+ years?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Also all the USA shows, but I love that garbage.
psych was genuinely a great show. just absolutely 10000% better than it had any right to be.

monk was fun and enjoyable

burn notice had a very strong (for USA) first 1-2 seasons and woweee it went to loving poo poo real fast holy hell. they clearly wanted to filler it out and string along and the writing (especially fiona) went to absolute dog poo poo quick. fionas character handling was just ughhhh; just constanty flipping between im STRONG FEMALE EX-IRA SPY TERRORIST GUN EM ALL DOWN I LOVE GUNS to being weak cliche ~female jiminy cricket consciousness~ no michael no!! cops are people too you know

royals pains was horrible right from the start though. woe is me im a mega billionaire in the Hamptons and my 18 year old son sprained his ankle but I just can’t take him to the PUBLIC hospital because it’ll ruin his future political career if it ever comes out he had broken ankle so I spent 500 million building a private ICU in our guest room just for us to use, plz treat him? and just played completely straight as if we were supposed to nod our heads and sympathize with hampton elite

Mr Robot is the best show they've ever done and one of the beter TV shows i've ever seen, I was surprised that it was even a USA show at all. i have no idea how it lasted it's entire length that it did and easily could have been HBO

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

psych has a lot of very questionable episodes e.g. there is one where a white dude is raised by an asian family and talks with an asian accent the whole time.
I don't remember that episode (tbf a lot of them blur together), but it's common for someone (regardless of ethnicity) raised from a young age in an family who speak with an accent to also speak with an accent (albeit usually much weaker) so that doesn't seem questionable.