Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Beamed posted:

the difference between hard and soft sci fi is literally pretending your magic poo poo isn't magic. like in the expanse where there's zombies and teleportation and electric marvel superpowers and they're like "oh we just DONT UNDERSTAND these MAGIC POWERS yet" lmao

zombies I get, the other two I dont understand what you're referencing?

imo it at least kinda works -- the 'magic' is limited to the dead ancient alien civilization poo poo. Human tech is very grounded.

The expanse is cool because its a nice setting it gets to of humanity being a piece of poo poo on the skeleton remains of a dead alien civilization, still doing stupid human things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Beamed posted:

ghosts that only certain characters get to see is one i forgot about, but an asteroid breaks physics to move in one scene, and then electricity, momentum, etc. are shut down in the Magic Aether Zone when they first enter the Magic Stargate

i actually really like the expanse fwiw it's just super fantastical in terms of the science part

ghosts are easy to explain -- its the protomolocule interfacing with peoples brains , same as the zombie poo poo but different. Miller never actually saw Julie when he was dying, that was just protomocoule melting his brain. To a limited extent that's what was going on with Holden seeing miller -- except it was limited. But yeah, I'll give you the fact that the alien poo poo doesnt abide by known physics at all times pulls it out of hard sci-fi territory at times. As long as they keep it consistent that humanity doesn't start doing that poo poo I'll be happy with it as a storytelling device though.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

all based on a d20 modern campaign

Truth. I've advised a few people getting started on it to view it through that lens and its helped a ton.