Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

in the past couple of days I have seen yosposters argue that the sopranos is bad and the matrix sequels are good. very disturbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I enjoyed when he fought cops who worked on behalf of the oil industry in "chain reaction"

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

free jack is a far more enjoyable movie than rogue one

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I really enjoyed russian doll and taika waititi's work, shame they've been devoured by the mouse

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

anime star wars? isn't that just cowboy bebop?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

were those goddamn Dark Troopers at the end? :eyepop:

is this some expanded universe poo poo or something? I'd never heard of these and thought the name was some of the laziest writing I'd ever come across

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

oh man i remember all of em

ig-88 takes over a droid factory and makes many copies of himself and gets installed into the death star computer core, then exploded

zuckuss and 4-LOM just hang out and do nothing and talk to each other; zuckuss is probably force sensitive and the droid doesn't understand it; eventually they join the rebellion because zuckuss needs a healthcare plan

bossk is only hunting han solo because he eats wookiees and wants to eat the most famous wookiee in the galaxy, but he gets foiled by a different wookiee and his plucky human ladyfriend

dengar is a big loser who keeps getting owned by everyone, culminating with boba fett tying him up and leaving him in the desert, but he is also force sensitive and contacts his girlfriend like luke calling leia and she saves him

does zuckuss drive a prius

does dengar drive a dump truck

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

seconding red mars

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

voyager as a concept is great. the small ship is lost in a completely unexplored part of the galaxy, cut off from all support. they should have shown the ship getting gradually patched up and modified and customized as they try to press it into a job it was never made to do. hammocks in the hallways and stuff, people no longer wearing their uniforms, the breakdowns in rank and tensions that form, etc. kind of like what battlestar galactica was for the first 2 seasons. but nope, it's just shittier tng.

as I understand it, ronald d. moore was a key writer for voyager and planned the show as basically what you're saying, but other producers let all the edges be smoothed out of the concept as the show went on. he then left and was a leader getting battlestar galactica going as a conscious attempt to make a show out of all the good stuff voyager dropped.

bsg is far from a perfect show but I certainly enjoy it a lot more than voyager

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

death of stalin is great, and if you like it you should watch "in the loop", which is one of the best comedies ever made imo

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

probably doesn't work if you're a canadian going to the states either

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i feel like netflix docs are ripe for parody. start with 10 minutes of people putting lapel mics on and saying they feel nervous. then the rest of the movie alternates between intercutting multiple people making the same point using almost-identical wording, and one single person making a point with the background music gone so you know it's Very Serious

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the instagram infinite scroll is responsible for making our children develop eating disorders and get involved in such extremist political activities as standing next to a tree at a small protest. now here's the inventor of the instagram infinite scroll to explain why that's a problem. isn't he charming? you can tell by the jaunty music

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

30 rock is probably my favorite sitcom and I like tina fey overall but 30 rock is so much better than other tina fey stuff. i would guess that this is because it didn't spring forth fully formed from tina fey's head, but was rather the result of a serendipitous collision of many talented people.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'd never seen that cake thing before, holy poo poo that was awful

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

there was a marvel comic about "sentry", who was an alcoholic who just thought he was a superhero

turns out he was actually a superhero. yawn

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

baby yoda may be cynical manipulation cooked up by some Disney supercomputer, but it is also the best star wars thing since empire

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I really like broad city but come to think of it I haven't watched a single episode since I saw the Hillary Clinton one

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i felt like they didn’t have enough of a straight man for the others to play off of

you need a script to have a straight man, it doesn't work if you're paul feig just pointing a camera at people and saying "go"

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

robocop might be my favorite movie full stop

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I watched true lies tonight, speaking of james cameron. middle third is loving deranged but it's a drat fun movie

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also lol they undermine the credibility of the media in that by sending in an armed agent as a cameraman and he whips a gun outta the camera and plugs several of them

that's ok, not a single terrorist survives so there's no one to tell anyone about it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

when the peter jackson king kong movie was in theatres, I was in university and went to some bulk interview for some kind of part time job where the interviewer spent the first 15 minutes talking about how great it was. turned out the job was that door-to-door textbook sales thing where they fly you to the middle of nowhere, pay commission only, and it turned out they didn't feed you or something. anyway those two things are inextricably linked in my mind

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I love star war and my favorite character is sebulba

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

amber a'lee frost's explanation of star wars always sticks with me. she said that the original star wars worked because it was a serendipitous melding of a great number of creative talents. but then george lucas came to believe that he had created it alone, which is not unreasonable, because the entirety of american culture and society insisted that it was the case. so when you ask him to do it again, he can't, because he never did it in the first place

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i didn't think it could be any worse than discovery, but holy poo poo

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

there is an episode where picard dresses up like a pimp and affects a pimp voice

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

star trek discovery is a show in which the very first scene is two people walking around saying natural dialogue like "AS YOU KNOW, SINCE I'VE BEEN YOUR FIRST OFFICER FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS," and then they escape certain death by walking around a desert in the shape of the star trek logo so that their ship can see their footprints from outer space and know where to beam them up from. it's like a thesis statement for how dumb all the writing is and how awful and annoying all the characters are

tng might have an episode where crusher has an affair with a sex ghost and refers to her grandmother's memoirs as "very erotic" but at least we actually like spending time with the characters

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i stand corrected

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i enjoyed s5 expanse, and it was much better than s4. they tried a few things that just didn't really work but the stakes felt like they were high again and the villain was much better (even if not as good as when it had more complicated stories than "here's this season's villain who we must defeat").

i hadn't known they filmed a bunch of it during covid poo poo but I guess you can see it. one of the parts that didn't quite work was the long shootout in the second-last episode that was clearly supposed to be like a Children of Men-style single-camera real-time thing, but which didn't hide its edits very well and didn't have enough actors to really sell the action. still, i give them credit for having an action scene with actual actors instead of just throwing a bunch of cg together

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

pain & gain is deranged enough to be worth watching even if it's not really good

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it's the movie he was born to make, I guess is the way to put it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i remember a joke from pure pwnage where the fps guy is asked why he is holding a kitchen knife while going for a jog and he says "everyone knows you run faster with a knife." this is by several orders of magnitude the best pure pwnage joke

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i like the mars books

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

about fuckin time

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I enjoyed the fourth hitchhiker's guide quite a bit. the bit where the stranger keeps eating his cookies made me laugh very hard. not much of value after that, though

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

game master anthoby may be 13 years older than me, but he is 23 years younger than me at heart

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

- they call it a "medium post"
- why's that?
- because it's not rare and it's certainly not well done!

d'oooohhh ho ho ho ho ho

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

oh poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

new Simpsons is no different from your young sheldons and superstores. nobody cares if it's good because it's mostly there to be making noise while you sit on your couch and finger your phone