Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

can't decide between the reps of khan or the girth of khan so you get both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

loki sucked so bad and was such a massive waste of talent.

it started off so promising too, really cool mysterious vibes and then remembered it had to suck poo poo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol ofc the only person on that job willing to ride production's dick on record is an actor. sag needs to pull that guy's card

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

a great schism in the field of mario studies is imminent

eagerly awaiting dr pannenkoek2012's statement

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

I mean people liked it but somehow it completely slipped away from the mind and almost completely failed to accrete the kind of organized fan base large media properties always aim for these days

there are no avatar memes. no catchphrases or figures of speech. almost no avatar toys. you never see anyone in an avatar t-shirt. if anyone makes an avatar reference you have to think about it for a moment

if you're just comparing actual poo poo to talk about, avatar has two movies, released over a decade apart. the mcu movies and shows have four hundred hours of content. Star Wars is at 160.

there's only so much to talk about w avatar

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mystes posted:

I think they specifically designed it so that it fits into the same continuity and it's technically a sequel and not a reboot but I have zero memory of the first one and could not explain how they actually worked this not-quite-rebootness into the movie, and definitely in practical terms it's better to think of it as a reboot

easy, they just never bring up the events of the first film

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

of course it's "k teh"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

i watched some of the fast furious (idk 4 through 7?) and they were decently entertaining but i dont really remember much about them. kind of slid off my brain

it's called drifting

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it drives me insane that they can't just go hire people to make a billion low-budget comedies. just go out on the streets and rented apartments and maybe a studio for a couple scenes so you can get the tax breaks and off you go. i truly hate watching a comedy only have six or eight episodes in a season because they blew a ton of money on exterior night scenes and crane shots.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

just do what the wga is demanding: longer and bigger writer rooms with more writers on set, and couple that with as few producer interference "notes" as possible. not everything is going to Fury Road or the LotR trilogy (two great examples of auteurs getting as far away from Hollywood as possible and making great works), but netflix's little tricks like "cram as much as possible into the pilot" and "story changing actions can only happen in the last three minutes of an episode " don't matter for poo poo if the actual show is rotten

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

and for every producer you see in the credits, there's a dozen "VP of original content synergy execution"s

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

indigi posted:

https://twitter.com/sturgeons_law/status/1674491639778144277?s=46&t=obn8WpKhtvEl2GV5H16l_Q

idk exactly what this means but I recognized the word "Fremen" from this thread and assumed some would enjoy it. I hope everyone's having a nice day I like this thread a lot even the Star Trek talk

there's a white yt guy fluent in a few different Chinese dialects who runs a channel where he orders food in perfect mandarin/cantonese and busts people gossiping about him assuming he doesn't understand the language

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

rotor posted:

pretty much this. It was the only part of the movie that i hadnt seen in a movie before. Other than that scene it was just sort of tedious action bullshit. The scene in the disco with people who kept cabbage patchin when dude were gettin blown away left & right? The ridiculous scene with the Very Japanese Ninjas or whatever?

The shotgun powerup was the only original part of the entire fuckin movie and it was fun.

I unironically enjoyed that they remade almost the entirety of The Warriors within the movie.

it was a greatly done movie but there's a reason they don't sell ben and jerrys in half gallon tubs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

you could put a gun to my head and ask me "what happened in iron man 2" and you'd end up with a body on the floor

sorry the answer here is: sam rockwell does some fun lil bad guy dances and elon musk paid disney to get negged by iron man

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

that one block of doyers street in manhattan

yeah it sucks now because nyc's real chinatowns are in sunset park and flushing, which are outside the SAG zone (e.g. an extra x0,000), so producers will keep using doyers until it finally gets hot-zoned by the city

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I still laugh when he wakes up assuming the communists won the cold war

the demure, unconvincing "yay capitalism" knocks it home

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

i've never met a famous. makes it much easier to hate them

it sucks. people feel parasocially entitled to your time and attention and many don't understand the difference between you and the characters you've portrayed. you're expected to maintain an expensive lifestyle but you're always struggling to get the next job to maintain it. you can almost never put down roots because your job will take you away for months at a time and you can never be sure that someone's intentions are driven by actual interest or to leech off of your success. to be famous is to be miserable and lonely.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

pre:
Sold by Techno Sphere

https://youtu.be/p9GBLVRPeaE

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

a 13-episode, 120-minute first season

wtf lol, isn't that just a movie?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the movie definitely suffered from being released too late to be contemporary and too soon to be nostalgia bait. it holds up on a rewatch because Edgar Wright is a really good writer-director.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

yeah it's impressive how they took the biggest media property of the decade and made everyone stop caring about it almost instantly

that's why house of the dragon bombed yeah?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah I hope that’s just a trailer prerelease thing but a lot of the vehicles looked very cgi which is not what I want.

at this point in fury road's production "most of the visual effects" were done and the studio was pushing for it to be a 100 minute PG movie with a different score lol. trust your guy George on this one.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I like Tarantino movies because all his stolen/homaged bits are things he really understands and enjoys unlike a lot of movies now that'll just make second order references to things that don't make sense in context

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the second movie was just taking all the little world building tidbits that established Jack sparrow as an interesting character in the first movie and just doing them on screen

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

doesn't the first movie end at the point where he dies? I can't see american evangelicals being willing to leave it off there

"The Passion of the Christ" is a specific liturgical period of the gospels, which the movie fully covers

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Adventures of the Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga 1: The Star Wars

Star Wars is one of only a handful of examples of outside producers holding an auteur back to make a good film. once he became too powerful for criticism, it all took a dive. give me ep 6 kashyyyk dammit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

indigi posted:

even in places that elected monarchs/emperors, did they ever raise a 13 year old to the throne (barring a powerful scheming regent situation)

I mean, their senator was a scheme machine evil wizard

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

i did NOT expect the climactic scene in the usual suspects when i watched that one. had to see it again the next day

https://youtu.be/6haBMbtXSLg?si=kf1RR8WhxPhyC7Ip

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

poo poo, Tony Gilroy has a hell of a cv.

poo poo I didn't realize that Andor had two showrunners before him: a cartoon director and some hack who wanted to just make Mandalorian again but with a robot instead of baby yoda. they sent him the script to fix it like he did for rogue one and just took over

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the new MI wasn't anything groundbreaking, but did the audience two real solids. the twist wasn't dragged out for the whole movie: the audience was shown pretty much right away and the characters figured it out very quickly. also the gags were good without laugh track reaction shots included.

a wonderful action movie

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FMguru posted:

a faithful neuromancer adaptation would be weird - almost a period piece at this point (fax paper! pay phones!)

severance is really retrofuturistic, atv isnt opposed to the aesthetic on principle

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

another monkey's paw three years later gets you to bane too

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I saw an clip of Natalie Portman once where she was saying she's kinda bummed out that her character in garden state is the poster girl for Manic Pixie Dream Girl that fixes the depressed loser. She did the movie when she was 20 or something and obviously it was written by Zach Braff so it's all his hangups and fantasies, not her fault, but her and Zooey Deschanel get all the slag any time jezebel etc wants to complain about the archetype

I'm always amazed when actors get poo poo on for delivering lines written by writers and performing as directed by directors

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

lol

wikipedia mentions that bit but its citation is a special feature from the alien quadrilogy box set. maybe it's online somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3u4uDwLzNI

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

finally found a 70mm imax dune 2 ticket not in the first two rows! it's on a Monday at 11:30am and that isn't even the matinee 8:30

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

finally found a dunc 2 ticket to 70mm IMAX that's not in the front two rows or in the aisle. 11:45am on a Monday and that's not even the matinee :smugdog:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sweet holy gently caress I'm ruined for all other formats

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i hope the director's cuts of Dune will be made and released in theaters. there was one specific scene of Feyd talking to the baron about the emperor where the dialogue was clearly adred and the rest of the scene is cut away from shots of him. every single scene is a visual feast, but (the studio I presume) more than fat was trimmed from the film

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

I saw it there

way off in the bottom left corner of that seating chart (as back and as left as possible)

still worth it

I finally got a seat in the middle (11:30am on a Monday) and it was a near-religious experience. that screen is still showing 18 hours of dune a day, 7 days a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah. less retconned if you believe the director’s “fluid oral mythos” intent towards canon. in any event it establishes certain recurring elements that would follow in later mads max

this is way better than the cinematic connected multiverse setup most sci fi uses though. fury road gives you a two minute montage, a one minute monologue, and 1.75 seconds of flashbacks to establish max and the whole world.

james bond movies used to do that. but w craig they did an "in over his head" and three "too old for this poo poo" movies. every prior movie was just "here's the world's greatest spy at the top of his game", even when Moore was almost 60