Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

inversions is written and presented much differently than the other novels, and it doesn't have the same "wow cool spaceship" appeal either. i liked it but it's not going to be a good fit for everyone.

iirc it is also first-person from the perspective of the multiverse's biggest prick

sincerely,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh and i tried the second episode of lucifer, and thirty seconds in he refers to himself as beelzebub, and just like that i'm out again

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

I doubt your average viewer understands the reference enough to care

sure. i just hate it when it’s obvious that absolutely nobody involved with the series gives the slightest poo poo about the material

like even put the comics aside, why have it be lucifer if you’re not even interested in playing off the mythos at all. it’s just name-dropping for shock value basically

(i know that some older sources unify the characters of lucifer and beelzebub)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
first reformed apostolic church of jesus christ astronaut (amazonis synod)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if ghosts were real, and a free ghost could do the amount of damage it can in the ghostbusters world, it does seem like storing them in a random basement in a residential building relying solely on your own crazy tech to imprison them is a bit irresponsible

and iirc they do all get out in one of the movies, which is, like, exactly why it’s irresponsible

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
cops sometimes have local agreements giving them authority outside their jurisdictions. even if they don't, there's a generally accepted legal principle (at least in us law) that cops in "hot pursuit" can continue that pursuit across jurisdictional lines, although that's limited to places where us law actually applies, i.e. not across national or rez borders. and even if that weren't true, they could just arrest you the next time they see you, no matter how much later that is, because statutes of limitation are generally suspended when you flee

but it's a funny recurring plot point

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Of these thirty films I have watched precisely /checks notes one :o:

same, but only because i just watched enola holmes a couple days ago

(it was alright, not great. felt like they had a lot of ideas for the mother that they ripped out, and mycroft is a stock stodgy-unclever-old-brother character, and enola was a little disappointing on several fronts)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
liked the last two episodes of the boys

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the federation is pretty obviously a bunch of pansy-rear end NPR style liberals because their first and most important rule is "don't interfere with anybody else's business, no matter how bad it is" rather than like "protect life" or something

if their mission was to interfere to protect life you would 100% be riding them over their constant warmongering and imperialism

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
giuliani is a poo poo but i'm not sure why i'm supposed to care that he was ready to go when he got repeatedly hit on by a 25-year-old

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

you are confused as to why it's concerning that the president's personal attorney started stroking his cock and balls when he thought he was going to bang who he thought was a former feral child turned far right journalist fifty years his junior? Really?

i haven't seen this movie and probably won't ever. if he was told she was fifteen then yeah that's bad. but i don't give a poo poo about a 75 year old completely consensually loving an adult

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think boba fett is canonically australian, so you should be safe against that particular twist ending unless he starts looking into buying a condo or two at the beach

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the chess show is really good

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the show seemed pretty clear that she spent a ton of time practicing and reading chess books and magazines, i guess you wanted a training montage tho

anyway i don't give a poo poo about chess and found it compelling and satisfying, so ymmv

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
jesus this new season of the crown

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i'm enjoying the wilds so far

also wild: y'all's weird obsession with tarantino's foot fetish, which is like 90% an internet meme

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

whenever you see a pair of hands choking a woman in a qt film, regardless of what character it is, it's quentin tarantino's hands

it's a thing

dont defend him

okay that is hosed up, and the feet thing is not. this is not that difficult

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
again this is just remarkably not difficult

tarantino forcing women to let him suck their toes to be in his movies: would be extremely bad if it were actually a thing

tarantino filming women’s bare feet in his movies: weird obsession of dorks on internet, not an actual problem

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
two episodes in, i am still not sure if the wilds is good or bad

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think imperial fighters don’t have hyperdrives but yeah everything larger than that seems to so they’re pretty clearly not that expensive

i guess there might be an argument that a rock with a hyperdrive just wouldn’t cause that much damage but i think actually it probably would do a lot???

starting to think that movie producers start with an idea of the visuals they want rather than painstakingly thinking through the consequences of the technology they portray on-screen

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

if the proton torpedoes are unguided rockets and it takes extreme skill to fire them precisely into the thermal exhaust port, why does the human do it at all when right behind the cockpit they have a droid built expressly for computing trajectories interfaced directly into the fighter's systems

i mean if it were on a planet you could argue that there would be all sorts of chaotic complicating factors that the droid might not be equipped to predict. but it’s in space so

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

even a let's say 500-pound hyperdrive by itself, no additional mass, traveling at light speed is going to carry unbelievable amounts of energy (infinite in fact, lol) and that's before accounting for any effects from a hyperspace incursion into real space or whatever

only the second half applies. we don’t know what hyperspace is but it clearly doesn’t obey the physics as we understand them of accelerating something to the speed of light and beyond

but even if something coming out of hyperspace is merely going very fast while trying to occupying the same general location as another thing that’s obviously going to gently caress poo poo up

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
finished the first season (apparently) of the wilds. enjoyable if rather trauma-heavy. i'll let you know if it was good or not as soon as i figure that out

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
netflix's the midnight sky is so aggressively terrible that i stopped watching after ten minutes

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it's like a day later and i'm still reeling at how much of a hack job the midnight sky is

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i can't stand seeing all these women on tv because (rolls dice, consults table) it's all crass exploitation

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
watched a ways into the second season of his dark materials. somehow it feels cheesier than the first. it’s probably mostly that the source material is much worse, because the first book is definitely the best of that series. but they’ve also made some pretty lazy choices, and the acting (especially lmm, who to be fair does not have a lot to work with) is verging on parody

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

holy poo poo glad it's not just me. I liked the first season a fair bit but man i'm "treading water" in watching the second one so far too. just kinda meandering and end up loving off doing something else or falling asleep. it's really quite weird and something is off about it. could be the source material, although i read them when i was a kid when they first came out so i don't remember mucha bout them.

the second book is really weak, there’s an awful lot of arbitrary-feeling events and decisions that happen to lead the characters directly along their fated path. also lee scoresby is the first of many characters who basically gives up all independent character motivation in favor of just putting himself blindly in lyra’s service

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
wizards have so much teleportation magic that makes that train pointless. like maybe it’s traditional but shouldn’t wizards have their own older tradition that isn’t a magical clone of muggle tech?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
ok so dork materials picks up a bit in the latest episode. still just weak base material tho

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
charlie brooker, who is black mirror's creator and i think executive producer, used to do a bbc series called screen wipe which basically just talked about what was going recently on in the tv world, and it would have big year-end specials where they summed up the whole year. like basically everything else in british media it was heavily sarcastic and featured olivia colman. it was generally funny but also had some interesting segments where they'd talk about specific things in tv production, like there was segment about editing reality tv. anyway i imagine this is just charlie brooker going back to that well

screen wipe is worth catching a couple episodes of but i imagine a lot of the humor is pretty dated

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 30, 2020

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
o gently caress yre right

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, it picks up. they're dropping an episode a week

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

so i (yesterday, for the first time) watched the cake thing and it seemed to me like she didn't actually think people should eat cake instead of protesting and that presenting the options as "do something, or eat cake" was an endorsement of "do something" because "eat cake" is obviously stupid, as she demonstrated throughout the clip. i dont know the tina fey background lore here though

am i missing something? like im not saying it was the height of comedy or whatever but reading that as her actually telling people to do nothing seems like a really bad read. or is it kind of like dave chapelle's clayton bigsby sketch and she should've known that it'd go over the audience's head or smth?

outrage machine gotta get outraged

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the scenes don't have fewer actors in them. there's not as many of the principal actors at a time, but secondary actors still need makeup and wardrobe. if anything this sort of season is more expensive to shoot because it involves a lot more sets. shooting the main cast in the same set for a week is pretty drat cheap

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s in episode 4; episode 5 starts with amos trapped in the prison

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

i don't know if it was the adaptation or the source material (i've not read it), but i though colour of magic relied way too much on expecting you to find the whimsicalness of it all charming.

that’s pretty true of the book, too, yeah. to be fair to pratchett a light-hearted fantasy setting was still relatively novel at the time. but mostly he got much better (very quickly) at writing characters and stories that stood up on their own rather than just as tours of the whimsical world

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
imo: against a dark background, inversions, matter, player of games, surface detail, and the algebraist, probably in that order. i also really like feersum endjinn but that’s to a peculiar taste

the algebraist has some great bits but also gets really cringey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

That was surface detail, I agree it was a bit excessive, although the concept was interesting and troubling.

I do think that it's worthwhile exploring the idea that other forms of being might seem unimaginably cruel compared to us, or see us as being so. Banks also looks at this in some other book where the aliens are predators I think.

the cruelty of the hells in surface detail is clearly justifiable as it’s part of the point. also they’re described as cruel, and some specific cruelty is spelled out, but iirc the book doesn’t linger on it or go into tons of extra detail

the gore in consider phlebas and the algebraist feels both much more superfluous and much more voyeuristic

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 7, 2021