Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

paul@raid.es

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jonny 290 posted:

last night i finally watched rise of skywalker. I liked it, they tied up loose ends, it wasnt actively bad like prequels

i liked the bit where they went to the Planet of the McGuffins to get the McGuffin to open the secret McGuffin Room that would let them get the McGuffin that would lead them to the final McGuffin.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Schadenboner posted:

I listened to the first four Hitchhiker's Guide books. They aren't as good as I remembered them, seriously wondering whether to even try the fifth.

Hitchhiker's Guide does not hold up at all. It's pure monkeycheese from start to finish.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Uptime Sinclair posted:

better or worst than doctor who, a show so bad it could easily pass as a cruel imitation by jocks of what nerds like

worse. much, much worse.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I watched a few episodes of Who 4, Tom Baker for nostalgia's sake and I was at least entertained by his mad-eyed acting and the cardboard sets. Best Who (though not a high bar)

Tom Baker and a couple of the Silvester McCoy stories (the later more for the character stuff than the plot though) are the only Old Who worth watching. The rest is literally unwatchable - just hours of running around in piles of gravel that are supposed to be an alien planet to escape from terrifying monsters like an inflatable pool chair or a man with a filthy tarp over him waving a plastic bottle covered in foil.

not that the new ones are necessarily better, considering one of them ends with a guy getting blowjobs from a paving slab with a face on it.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 20, 2020

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

the on/off pattern of the lights spells out "KILLMEKILLMEKILLME..." in shift-JIS

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Bored Online posted:

iirc the jews in the later books are just earth jews in the future

there are no later dune books

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i watched the original Phantasm, after realising i'd only seen 2-4 and only while drunk.

it was... not that good

still going to rewatch the rest though

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

see that's the thing. all the stuff that I associate with the series isn't really in the first one that much. reggie the balding ponytailed ice-cream man turns up about 3 times as a side character and just vaguely helps out even though he's arguably the main protagonist of the later films. the balls - the iconic image of the series, well there's just one and it kills one guy and then gets destroyed. even the Tall Man doesn't really do a whole lot directly considering he's the main villain.

it was still ok to watch for the terrible acting and silly effects, but i think it's easily the weakest entry in the series

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 29, 2020

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Xaris posted:

we were doing a ghibli kick the past couple of months. it was pretty good though certainly their 2005+ movies haven't been nearly as good.

i dunno, arrietty is in my top 5

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Kenny Logins posted:

oddjob in the novel is some extremely racist poo poo also iirc

the villain in the george lazenby bond has a group of women from all over the world and there's a dinner scene where they're each eating their native cuisine, except for the lone black woman who is just given a bowl of bananas

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

finished my phantasm series watch-a-thon last night

1 was... weird
2+3 were dumb and silly, but entertainingly so
4 is really boring
5 is a loving mess

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

qirex posted:

starfleet's so drat square, everyone's all in ten forward listening to chamber music for fun

"hmm i only get 30 minutes on the holodeck once a month. should i spend it loving green triple-breasted space cheerleaders, or should i spend it wearing breeches and a cravat in Jane Austen Tea Party Simulator?"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Jabor posted:

the dragonball z of sports shows

episode 253: Kasparov screams for 20 minutes before unleashing his caro-kann

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I haven't watched Red dwarf past series uhhhh 6 I think? Whatever the one where red dwarf itself was back with all the crew and they had waaaay too much cgi going on.

that's series 8 - the one where they spent the entire series in the brig and it's full of prison rape jokes.

1-6 were the good ones (4-6 especially). 7 is where chris barrie left so they replaced rimmer with kochanski and forgot to write any good jokes. 8 is the prison one. 9 was the mini-series, 10 was the first new proper series and isn't bad. haven't watched the rest yet

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 21, 2020

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

the people who like v for vendetta are the same people who like sucker punch

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

also i hate to plug a mike nelson (chud-lite) joint but if you don't want to expose yourself to the source material and love awful awful books 372 pages we'll never get back is an alright podcast

I Don't Even Own A Television is better and also has a rp1 ep

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Fart Sandwiches posted:

the worst part of any fantasy / sci fi (I guess really any genre but it’s worst in these) is having to read about the authors hosed up sex things. like it’s so ridiculous for rothfuss to not only have Amazonian sex ninjas but they also didn’t know that babies came from sex and STIs didn’t exist in their society because they were clean or something

still better than the ones who fill their books with rape because it's the only way they know how to make a woman vulnerable, a villain bad, or a hero motivated

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Schadenboner posted:

I haven't watched many MCU movies (Howard The Duck and the Dr. Magic one plus the one where Spiderman is a jerk and dances and the 1 or 2 Spidersman before that) but goddamn is the CGI sterile.

Like, watch Clockwork Orange: when Alex is kicking the bum you loving feel the ribs cracking. But none of the action feels real in any of the movies BVMW watches because it's not only obviously false but that this falseness is actively used by the director transparently.

Like it's some sort of horrible twisting of the verfremdungseffekt where it's instead being used to exculpate the viewer from the moral responsibility of the violence they watch?

modern CGI has literally ruined movies. if it doesn't look like poo poo then it dates badly and looks like poo poo two years later instead. its why every action film has to show 1000 buildings collapsing and have overly-choreographed scenes of characters ducking and weaving for no reason except to avoid the 500 CGI things flying all over the place because idiot film-makers think more things on screen = more impressive

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

NoneMoreNegative posted:

oh nice, B5 is getting a remaster rerelease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4HS5K3MdMY

not sure if it's from a better source, an AI upscale or a combination of the two, but a lot of the shots here have far more detail. Some of the skin tones are a bit warm, but I'll take it. Hopefully it's 4:3 and not cropped 16:9, and if I'm really wishing the CG could be redone in proper-res with a bit of effort.

been a while since I last watched it, this might give me some impetus.

gently caress yeah!

Did the B5-hating dick at WB finally put a gun in his mouth or something?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

matti posted:

i should rewatch the matrix sequels cos apparently i no longer remember anything of em

they're really bad

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I feel like it was a callback to aliens honestly

and probably a bunch of anime

it was anime, because the wachowski's are obsessed with anime like they think it's this really obscure untapped vein of pop culture that only they know about. hence why matrix 3 was 40 minutes of characters you don't give a poo poo about talking about how they're going to have a dumb anime mech fight, then 40 minutes of a dumb anime mech fight, then 40 minutes of "this is really subtle and you might have missed it, but Neo is jesus, do you get it? <wink wink>"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

There's canonically like 12 million planets in the starwar universe. I can see why most of the transactions are basically anonymous and cash on delivery since 90% of your vendors are just randos passing through the area.

canonically every single event in the galaxy is related somehow to the skywalker clan, and the only delivery driver anyone knows of is han solo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

last crusade was the 2nd best indy. temple of doom was always terrible. the female lead does nothing but scream and the ending where the kids in rags rush the stage feels like something straight out of a musical.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

even the sets looks more like stage scenery than real locations. tell me this doesn't look like you're seeing it from a seat in the upper circle

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

4 > 5 > Rogue One > 6 > 7 > 8 > 9 > 3 > Solo > 2 > 1

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

fart simpson posted:

id bump solo up a bit but yeah basically

i really hated solo, but apparently i'm the only one :shrug:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

a star wars fan was complaining, so i'm going to guess some new star wars thing has a woman or a black person in it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Jonny 290 posted:

mean girls already exists though and its the perfect film

Heathers too

does not really hold up

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Kenny Logins posted:

also notable for ig-88 becoming the AI core of the second death star shortly before it is blown up

poo poo like this is exactly why the expanded universe was utter trash

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

this is the best hobbit movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zUQxAQRHA

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

the problem with the hobbit is too many dwarves. 5 or 6 of them literally don't do anything. the one with the axe in his head, what does he add to the story? do you even remember his name?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Roosevelt posted:

one of the little things i really liked about that movie was that they didn't try to do russian accents. steve talked like a guy from brooklyn, and jeffrey tambor played jeffrey tambor

russia is a big place and has a million regional accents but non-speakers would never pick up the differences, so it makes sense to have loads of different english accents too.

making stalin cockney(ish) was genius though because to russians georgians fit a lot of the same stereotypes

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 23, 2020

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

the best movie satan was tim curry in legend

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

anyone else enjoy the sci fi masterpiece “flight of the navigator”?

i must have seen it 50+ times as a kid, and it was only this year that i realised the kid is not the kid from ET

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"the clone wars" is one of those things that should have been left unexplained because whatever you imagine it to be was always going to be cooler than whatever it actually ends up being.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

jesus WEP posted:

i thought the colour of magic was completely terrible and david jason was a stupid choice to play rincewind, like they literally only put him in because he's A Big Name

i don't know if it was the adaptation or the source material (i've not read it), but i thought colour of magic relied way too much on expecting you to find the whimsicalness of it all charming.

just watched going postal today though and thought it was great

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 3, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Zim was a great show with the worst fans

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Carthag Tuek posted:

i thought he was batman already

he was the best batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

pointsofdata posted:

- In Our Time has some science episodes. Sometimes these focus more on the history of science but they are always good. This is the only one I actually enjoy listening to physics topics on, way less bs and more knowledgeable guests than most places.

seconding In Our Time. it covers a very broad range of topics from science to philosophy to literature to history and everything in between, and there are 22 years worth of episodes to comb through so you're sure to find something interesting whether its dark matter, chinese legalism, or welsh mythology. it does tend to be a bit more about the thinking around the topic and the historical context that created it rather than the topic itself, but still worth listening to.