Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Achmed Jones posted:

is that the short story collection? I was reading from the first culture book through the last, hit the short stories, and then stopped bc they were bad. never did pick up the novels again. maybe after I go through dune again

I skipped from the Player of Games straight to the Hydrogen Sonata and had a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

i looked this up and it's an anne leckie. did anyone here like ancillary justice because I thought it was super boring with a gender gimmick to make people think it was brilliant writing. also everyone's names were super confusing

I devoured the Ancillary books as well as Provenance, they're like, up there with the Culture novels for me. Different style for sure, but same sort of deep worldbuilding and actually a better idea of how alien civilizations would interact with a human space empire. The other three books in the setting expand it a lot. I'm hella queer and the gender stuff was actually pretty neat and inclusive to me.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I just finished reading Ninefox Gambit, it was pretty good! some of the military procedural stuff was boring, but the core character driven plot was compelling and kept me interested. I’m having trouble deciding what to read next

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Johnny Mnemonic is a masterpiece and I will not hear otherwise

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I forget if I/someone has brought this up, but I've been reading Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire and it's really, really good. The characters are compelling and the story is complicated in a really satisfying way. Like many series the first book is a little rough, but the second book hits it out of the park and I am really into the third so far.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

game of thrones is the worst series to rewatch because you already know a bunch of horrible stuff is gonna happen and everyone you like will die

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

was that during the period when his shape shifting was broken

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you should read Ninefox Gambit and its sequels instead, OP

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well I need a new book to read. what’s good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

read some terry pratchett

I already read them all

mediaphage posted:

she's also got a new one out called black sun, which takes place in a fantasy realm based on pre-columbian mesoamerica. i've not gotten very far into it yet.

gonna check this out

Xaris posted:

latest stormlight archive came out

what do you want, i can recommend a lot of trash fantasy

hit me. there’s too much fantasy for me to pick. I recently really liked the Raven Tower

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

thanks for the suggestions pals :) now I just have to pick one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

oh are the earthsea books YA titles? i mean ill still read it but that's disappointing

i think it’s only YA on a technicality

it doesn’t have any gross sex in it that I remember though (I’ve only read the first book so far)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

the third one was pretty dumb. towards the end, while trying to save gotham from anarchy, mr. batman found time all by himself to set up a giant pyrotechnic bat signal display on the side of a skyscraper

he probably used some secret waynetech pocket flamethrower meant for signaling CIA agents in south vietnam. it was left in applied sciences because it has a tendency to burn whole villages down

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I recently watched AKAGI, the overly dramatic mahjong anime that is 90% close shots of mahjong tiles

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m trying to read Revenger and the author just dumped 5 new characters on me and I am very tired

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mystes posted:

Read House of Suns if you haven't. It's his best book, IMO.

if that’s his best book I don’t think I really want to deal with his others

it was a provocative book but his characters are so wooden

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/rinbcage/status/1338230609211232258?s=21

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm a fan of pandas.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i appreciated them back before they were banned by some horrible idiot.

at least i assume that's why you stopped posting them

I bought into something ralp was trying to do about getting more content in certain forums so I started a giant thread in Pet Island and it's still going. I don't have time to engage the way I used to anymore though. I do post lots of pandas on my twitter @SilverAlicorn but I'm also an unrepentant furry on there so ymmv

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I enjoyed hogfather and going postal, but the latter mostly because it had the guy from coupling

I mean it was enjoyable otherwise

also lord vetinari's actor went on to a game of thrones or whatever

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

banks chat banks chat

I hold that all the Culture books are really good, with Consider Phlebas and Excession being the most difficult (but the former was good to read as an audiobook). My favorites are Look to Windward and the Hydrogen Sonata. Look to Windward is an excellent slice of life story that tells a lot about aliens living in the Culture. The Hydrogen Sonata ties up a lot of loose ideas and is an excellent send-off to the series.

The Player of Games is where I'd start. It might be boring at first, it does start out pretty slow, but it provides a pretty good contrast between how the Culture runs and how space imperialism works (or doesn't). It also has the Best Space Move so you gotta.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

rotor posted:

Like that one Radch novel where the main character just suddenly decides to risk her life for her enemy out of the blue.

she was an AI who had safeguards built into her so anyone with correct access (the emperor and possibly some others) could control her at any time.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

what’s the cannibalism part in player of games I don’t remember

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don’t remember cannibalism in phlebas either but I only read it once

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

after the megaliner heist and the nuke he crashes and washes up on an cannibal island

oh that. I thought they just ate seashells and fish guts and other indigestible stuff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

use of weapons spoilers

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I could not identify with any of the characters in Excession, they suck

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

maybe the goon who hated being around people so much they put him on a weapons silo in the middle of nowhere

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok so what do yall think of the sex blimp in the hydrogen sonata then

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

infernal machines posted:

your mother was in hydrogen sonata?

jesus

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the Culture does a lot of CIA-style intervention, I would probably be peace faction or even zetetic elench

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m all for genofixed bodies that can swap genitals though.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just stay away from any mysterious dark orbs.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the drone that had a memory core flagged off with multiple warning signs is pretty relatable, too me, for reasons

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

indigi posted:

the Dra’Azon are super powerful alien train autists

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Yoon Ha Lee’s books are really good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008