Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I miss Iain M. Banks.

But I'm glad Amazon isn't adapting his work for the television anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The original source for that quote is this post on Metafilter.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

I think the biggest barrier to the culture series getting a film adaptation is that the portrayal of (mostly) utopian anarchism is utterly foreign to TV and cinema. Only thing less likely to get an adaptation is The Dispossed

Yeah, it's like the main barrier is psychological. Imagine how many tens of millions of dollars your studio would be spending on CGI, just to adapt the message "money is a sign of poverty". It doesn't work.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Torchwood was literally unwatchable. GIS "torchwood cyberwoman", or better yet, don't.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

The Fool posted:

this

there is no author that is capable of writing a non-cringe sex scene and they all should just fade to black

Chuck Tingle?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the futurama episode with the pre crime division was legit genius and was really late on

"that's a violation of the law of lorentz invariance, bust him! "

I like the bit where Bender is apparently shot dead but it turns out he's fine because he had a bullet-proof vest hanging on a coat-hanger inside his chest cavity??

And the bit where it turns out they were able to outthink the prediction robot by hiding behind "prediction-proof glass"?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah, and Community. In Community it was rightly presented as a joke.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

sticking my hand in the toaster oven to see if I can handle the gom jabbar

haveblue posted:

"ce qui est dans la boîte?"

"pain"

That was pretty good.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

So I've always sort of assumed it but only recently realized I may be incorrect in this: We're supposed to look at Kirk reprogramming the Kobayashi Maru thing with something between "disgust" and "pity" because it shows he's morally an literal childe, right?

In the original context of just the movie Wrath of Khan by itself, I think the idea is that we're half-and-half impressed at how "cool" he is for cheating and nervous because of what they're setting up to happen later in the film. Kirk has never actually faced the no-win scenario. Later, he finally does face it, and he loses. We kind of think he might cheat his way out of it a second time but he really does lose. In the space of that one movie it's a decent arc. I think?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I feel like we live in enlightened enough times that we can just apply the term "Mary Sue" directly to a male character without it being a big deal.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
My hope for Matrix 4 is that it is just one movie. A single, focused, complete story which doesn't try to set up two sequels. That was what got them in 2 and 3, too much universe. Scale it back, stop explaining things that don't need it.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

fart simpson posted:

start with eric

I wouldn't recommend Eric as a starting point. (I don't know if this was a joke suggestion, I know a lot of people think Eric is one of the less good Discworld books.) The thing to remember about it is that it was primarily, originally, a Josh Kirby art showcase. I personally love Josh Kirby's art (RIP) so I enjoy the book a lot, but if you're not careful you'll get one of the slimmed down paperback editions with only about a hundred pages of words, and none of the artwork, and as a written work it's a bit... hasty? Thin? Kind of leaps from one setting to another with only a token framing device wrapped around it... plus you're not invested in Rincewind at all...

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Has there ever been a sci-fi franchise with tolerable fans?

Futurama?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

echinopsis posted:

who’s embarrassed to like titanic?

poo poo I saw it three times in the movies

But don't you see? It's a girl movie. It's got a very central romance plot, which is very by-the-numbers. All of which means it's bad, and bad to like it, or any part of it, except for thousands of people dying and especially the propeller guy. Also it won a ton of awards and a lot of people really enjoyed it and it made an incredible amount of money, so it can't have been that good.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

What a cat rear end trophy

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

mediaphage posted:

i think my favourite scene is where garak gives bashir a cardassian enigma tale holonovel, and bashir admits he doesn't like cardassian mysteries because everyone is always guilty. and garak responds with yes of course, you see the point of the holonovel is to figure out exactly who is guilty of exactly what. cracked me up.

I wish there was so much more of this in Star Trek, it's such a great way to simultaneously worldbuild and develop character. I also like Garak's take on The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

indigi posted:

yeah but it can be fun. for instance, JLA 1,000,000

This is probably my favorite comic book ever.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Dang I almost let comics chat go past without mentioning JLA: Welcome To The Working Week, a one-off JLA book by Patton Oswalt of all people, which is a great story and is also where I got my username from.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

i'm not really sure how you're supposed to make a non-dour edgelord batman movie without doing a complete 180 back to adam west batman, but that's why i'm not paid the big bucks. that would be rad, though, so they should do that

The Lego Batman Movie was an okay attempt at this. But it felt like its plot had been juggled about quite a lot. I think the solid overall throughline of "Batman is a dour edgelord jerk... who eventually learns to trust his friends and allies" was there at one point in the production but someone just moved a bunch of stuff around for some reason and so in the end product it doesn't exactly feel as satisfactory. Nowhere near as strong a movie as The Lego Movie, for example.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
No, but the basic premise of The Simpsons is going to become hard science fiction in the next decade or so.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
That guy had better not trip over.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah, the problem there is people are basically no longer able to picture what a positive future or an earnestly good human being looks like, leading to a chronic shortage of non-cynical, non-ironic takes on Superman, ironically at exactly the time when a positive, uplifting example would be kind of useful.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXrzuqElB2U

Basically my year of lockdown YouTube watching condensed into 2 minutes. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the 100th Best of the Worst.

Surely they review Space Cop.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
More movies should be two and a half hours with an intermission.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
90 minutes is a great length for a movie you watch in one sitting. If you want to tell story that's an hour longer or more, you should put an intermission in there.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

qirex posted:

idg why they would want to take probably the dumbest single piece of lore from the prequels and make a whole show about it

Ep 9 made Rey canonically Palpatine's granddaughter. I feel like the "this is too dumb to actually be part of Star Wars" ship has sailed.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

indigi posted:

the Fast 9 trailer is out and it's spectacular

https://youtu.be/fEE4RO-_jug

This is the one where they finally go into space, right? We've been waiting long enough.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

This needs a beat poem over it.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I like the celebrity downloading service which has everybody from A. A. Milne to ZZ Top.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

this exchange has a powerful casablanca energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqW4GVOZN7Q

These two had such great comic timing.

DS9 had one episode which was literally just Casablanca In Space.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

infernal machines posted:

like the old TOS days where they had a bunch of sets/costumes from another show and decided to write an episode around them, but with a better framing device than "this is the gangster planet, it's full of 1920s gangsters"

"We can save money by using old material from other productions" is in fact part of the original pitch for Star Trek.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The clever bit about the mystery box technique is that you get to bank up-front goodwill for the ending which you have no intention of ever delivering. Star Wars 7 was incredibly positively received in large part because of people imagining that Star Wars 8 and 9 would be just as good.

If your goal is to tell a story then of course you don't do this but that's not what these guys are trying to do. It's a storytelling Ponzi scheme.

Thankfully some people are starting to be able to spot this grift up front now but it's not enough.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

and rian johnson, on discovering there was no planned overarching story, decided he'd roof the frisbee and end a billion dollar trilogy in the second film

that takes some gumption

The Last Jedi needed another year in production. There are some really good decisions and there are some good ideas with faulty execution and there are some parts which are stupid and should have been cut/replaced/reworked. I think Johnson knows he could have done much better with more time to prepare and rewrite. It was, overall, such a huge mistake to produce these movies on a two-year cycle instead of a three-year cycle.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

haveblue posted:

so game of thrones turns into, what, five minutes of establishing shots

And that cool opening credits sequence with the neat models!

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I'm not completely opposed to a movie having a seethingly obvious message if the message is positive. I'm completely okay with smashing people in the face with "Rounding people up and systematically murdering them because of who they are is bad, actually".

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

yeah, it's super important that the film adaptation of a comic book is here to tell us that genocide is bad

Like the comic books, yes.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

qirex posted:

my favorite example was when they gave the solo movie to ron howard because what taylor & lord were making was too funny

My favorite example was when they gave the Ant-Man movie to [checks notes] Peyton Reed because what Edgar Wright was making was too funny.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

duz posted:

number nine was supposed to come out last summer but got pushed back to this summer so number ten got pushed back to 2023/24
they say they have no plans beyond ten, but that doesn't mean they won't make more
also ten needs to be called Fast10: Your Seatbelts

I'm guessing they'll make more Hobbes & Shaw films.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ah here it is, see if you can guess what subforum it's from

I did not guess correctly.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

bump_fn posted:

her name is cruel devil and she wants to literally murder and skin puppies

But why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I feel like Primer suffers greatly from the constraints under which it was made. It's so abbreviated. It just needed a bit more flexibility in the the shooting, some more time for dialogue, another scene or two, and it would have been fully comprehensible on the first watch and it would have landed effectively for so many more people.

What you can make on $7,000 now is insane.