Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Agile Vector posted:

also yeah the audiobook for dune is good and so are the next few. i stopped after the initial trilogy and suggest you do the same or sooner

children of dune didnt quite do it for me. it's when the endless Duncan Idaho begins and why does anyone care about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

the difference between hard and soft sci fi is literally pretending your magic poo poo isn't magic. like in the expanse where there's zombies and teleportation and electric marvel superpowers and they're like "oh we just DONT UNDERSTAND these MAGIC POWERS yet" lmao

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

WilWheaton posted:

zombies I get, the other two I dont understand what you're referencing?

ghosts that only certain characters get to see is one i forgot about, but an asteroid breaks physics to move in one scene, and then electricity, momentum, etc. are shut down in the Magic Aether Zone when they first enter the Magic Stargate

i actually really like the expanse fwiw it's just super fantastical in terms of the science part

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

at least i gotta give props to the world building the prequels had. the sequels, in return, were literally the most empty calorie poo poo.

e: still dont understand why folks ever liked star wars. literally a huge Nerd collective around a single good movie out of eleven

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

how else would i have played the greatest game ever released for the PS4, Bloodborne?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

paprika was a way better inception, if you liked inception you should check it out

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

is legend of the galactic heroes good? im looking for some big sprawling epic to throw on the tv. hopefully something character driven and poo poo that's Not Bad.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if you like klingons in star trek, you'll love legend of galactic heroes
here's the thing: i hated star trek. i hate star wars, too. they're just both really badly written CONSTANTLY imho

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's really really good. the characters are interesting and consistent and smart and fun to watch. Wang Yen-li is my husbando
this is my poo poo though. i hear rumors it leans too hard into "we just need a STRONG BENEVOLENT DICTATOR to take care of problems", is that just people not reading subtlety like it sometimes is?

Jabor posted:

the old series is good but very long. it doesn't feel like it gets caught up in wheel-spinning filler, though. the new series is much shorter and still hits the major plot elements, but sometimes feels like it was made for people that already watched the old one.

yeah i would watch the old series, my understanding of the new series is exactly as you describe

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, have you watched evangelion yet

yeah. i bounced off it. i get there's more to it than i gave it, i really do, but it just wasnt what i was after, i guess

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

there was one good star wars movie out of, what, 10 by now? and all these disney movies caused millions of weird nerds to create a fandom around a single good disney movie or some poo poo

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

do a post when you finish it with your thoughts, i have a lot of opinions but dont want to spoil anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

kid rock was in a small town about 50 miles away, and he acted like a petulant child when they wouldn't let him cut in line at the karaoke bar

that's what kid rock is like in detroit suburbs too don't worry