Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
hell yeah ground floor

quote:

Gurgeh stared at the space chess. He considered moving the space king over to the space rook, but then he didn't. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The robot flew over, and said something bitchy. Gurgeh chuckled, then sighed. "Robot," he said, "please fly away." The robot made a light from his head and then he flew away.

Gurgeh stared at the board. He reflected that the best games were the games that were so hard. And that what this game was. Where would he move the space piece next?

"Well, Gurgeh!" harrumphed the space alien. "Perhaps now you see that the game is so hard?" Gurgeh nodded. The game was so hard. That night, he thought about the space board. He glanded a drug that made the game less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Gurgeh was immortal and rich, but still he didn't want to lose, because it would be better to win. But the game was so hard.

The robot flew over. "Gurgeh!" said the robot. If you don't win, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space rape!" Gurgeh was appalled. "I must win the space game," he said. He sighed.

The next day, the alien bragged: "I will win the space game! I am the best at winning the space game!" Gurgeh sighed. But then Gurgeh saw what he would do: instead of moving the space piece to the left, he would move it forward. The alien was so surprised. "But... but the game is supposed to be so hard!" But Gurgeh was very smart. He moved the piece again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
thinking of playing metro exodus and want to warm up by finally reading roadside picnic

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

all based on a d20 modern campaign
is this real because if so lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

lol. even funnier than when i found out elder scrolls is based on a homebrew d&d campaign

d20 modern is a gently caress

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

indigi’s probe caused me to learn that cspam has its own animated probe av. neat. i wonder what such a thing would/should look like in yospos

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Eeyo posted:

perhaps moose milkie’s av in a kennel.
:hmmyes:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

akadajet posted:

anyone have that gif of picard's face on troi's body? asking for a friend.
no but i do have this

https://twitter.com/dreambote/status/1204493606528131072?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i’m geordi as riker hype man

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/_abhorrence/status/1306651786661564417?s=21
nice

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

i just remembered that torchwood existed due to an nmn snipe in another thread. jesus that show was terrible
better or worst than doctor who, a show so bad it could easily pass as a cruel imitation by jocks of what nerds like

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

that sounds pretty bad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i knew a guy who was going to buy a new car. He fancied himself a captain of industry dork that was all into the Capitalism.

He made a spreadsheet of MSRP and Horsepower and a third column that was column A divided by column B, and sorted low to high on column C

and then blindly went and bought that

And that's how this dude I worked with bought a brand new Chevy HHR, which blew the turbo 5k miles in.

Anyways he was really into Torchwood. That's the point of the story.
it really came together in the end.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

overlooked, but this was the real gem of your sunday afternoon
seconded

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

watched s01e01 of Raised By Wolves last night. holy poo poo. not what i expected at all. looking forward to continuing
i’ve been meaning to try it, thanks for the review

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Casual Encountess posted:

where the space protestants at???
what better representation for wasps than hive mind aliens

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

the literal cornerstone of protestantism is schism and freaking the gently caress out and starting your own splinter organization when you have the slightest disagreement with management. They're intrinsically unsuited to space travel, which requires large, collaborative projects to be pulled off flawlessly.
:hmmyes:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qirex posted:

y'all know that before the protestants there were continuous, frequently violent schisms in catholicism? for like 1 month in the 15th century there were 3 popes
sometimes you just gotta get all hosed up on popes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

also if we’re talking 15th century, something NOT being frequently violent was considered unusual

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

they emphasized that it was a big deal none of the characters actually appeared to believe in the gods and how big of a deal that would have been
i guess GoT could have been worse after all

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

re: buddhism there's earth and a bunch of hells and a bunch of heavens. it's good to be a human bc you can hear the dharma and escape samsara. it's good to be a god and/or in heaven because obviously it rules but a lot of the time you'll just end up indulging yourself so it's prob better to be a human that can end your suffering but I mean don't worry too much. definitely better to be a buddhist on the path to eliminating suffering than an indulgent god. some buddhists think that earth is too hosed up to allow proper practice so our only hope to eliminate our suffering is to be reborn in the pure land (one of the heavens) where a particular bodhisatva will teach you and help you become enlightened.
sounds like a scam

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Mass Effect
:mmmhmm:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

i've been watching joe pera talks with you
i’ve only seen the one off the air segment but it was good and i should watch the actual show

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i will probably never watch the nurse ratched show because why. why would anyone

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

started ep 1 of raised by wolves. my wife hates it so it’s that good hard sci fi. when they start talking about atheists/atheism it’s super duper cringe tho lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BEGIN THE STYMIE CADAVER SYNOD

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Stymie is the mind-killer. Stymie is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face stymie. I will permit their posts to pass over me and through me. And when they have gone past I will turn the inner eye to see the thread. Where stymie has gone there will be nothing. Only my posts will remain.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

she didn’t like it when the first little girl walked into the hole and died. wasn’t so taken with the other deaths either. might be able to get her back on board with ep 2 but she bounced off 1/2 way through the pilot, so

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

this is an incredibly sloppy use of spoiler tags lol
i was thinking “deaths happen in a show” isn’t really spoilers but fair point.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

you probably wanted to cover up “the first little girl” part imo
yeah. oops

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that was some stupid mr magoo poo poo
it super was, not the biggest problem with the show but. they should have just implied it harder and shown less because lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

finished stardust crusaders and it was fantastic. picked up dorohedoro again and it is not quite filling the void but it’s not bad so far

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

man. raised by wolves ep 2 is cool af

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

as I said before the sets and costumes in raised by wolves are good, but there's no colour, and the characters are just as bland
it does lose something by trying to hew to ridley scott sci fi canon

Glorgnole posted:

i thought this show was going to be really goofy but it actually mostly works and i'm into it now
the first ep has some clunky goofy dialogue and moments but i think that’s an issue with a lot of “creation myths” viewed through a hard sci fi lens and welp

Jonny 290 posted:

anime oppression in the scifi thread is anti japanese racism. you can probate or ban me for this post but that doesnt make it any less true

i will try to not absolutely poo poo this thread up with eva clips or w/e but banning video from the land of the rising sun is hamfisted and dull
cosigned, at least for discussion. it’s just words and they only hurt you if you read them, you big diaper babies who shut down last thread

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

the focus on eyes is really revealing and interesting
it’s definitely got some blade runner eye focus going on from the get go

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

the secret of kells. the latter i watched on a nice handful of mushrooms once and it was a pure ray of wonder the whole time
i should rewatch this sometime, i do remember liking it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

redline is so loving good yes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

oh yeah. i watched that on something, possibly dxm, it was pretty good from what i can remember
i was just thinking of dxm the other day. i can’t believe i did it twice. can’t imagine watching a show like that on it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Anime movie: full of frog and dog people driving hyper jet rocket cars
Me: wow, what a crazy world, I wonder who the main character is going to be
Anime movie: also one white guy with a pompadour and leather jacket driving a classic muscle car
Me: oh okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

My attention span is so completely and utterly shot to hell that I can barely even watch a single episode of anything in one sitting and you're telling me there's people who mainline 12 episodes of something in a row like some sort of audio visual hot dog eating contest