Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

btw never read the state of the art

reads like bad fanfic and twilight zone twists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

is that the short story collection? I was reading from the first culture book through the last, hit the short stories, and then stopped bc they were bad. never did pick up the novels again. maybe after I go through dune again

yes that’s the one

the rest of the novels are good (I haven’t read inversions)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

say what you will about the execution of the prequels dude at least its an ethos

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

its easy- special circumstances is space cops! in modern day Los Angeles vancouver

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

oh no

idrians have released 99 human criminals

sma and a drone who looks like a human for reasons have to hunt them down

banter!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

he said no one, checks out

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

msrp lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

the cannibal island religion bits in consider phlebas always seemed a bit off for a culture-aligned orbital

also a big part of why I don’t recommend it as a first culture book

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

qirex posted:

y'all know that before the protestants end of monarchy there were continuous, frequently violent schisms in catholicism? for like 1 month in the 15th century there were 3 popes

cadaver synod, lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

some medieval scholars had a lol GoT blog series that was entertaining

other than making fun of the nerd chorus of ‘shows it how brutal it really is, man’ was they emphasized that it was a big deal none of the characters actually appeared to believe in the gods and how big of a deal that would have been

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

christopher nolan movies, not counting batmen:

memento: a noir-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
inception: a action-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
interstellar: a sci-fi-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
tenet: reportedly some sort of pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!

now do dunkirk

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The Fool posted:

this

there is no author that is capable of writing a non-cringe sex scene and they all should just fade to black

hayes code viewers knew a lighthouse cut and cigarettes meant rick and ilsa boned down in bone town

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

urukz my hobbit-hole

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

sloppy second breakfast

elven elevensies

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

people who insist on being called trekkers instead of trekkies are extremely suspect

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

trekphiles, but i guess that’s redundant

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

cc institute for gremlins 2 studies

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

twoeady pl2yer one: the squeakwel

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the entire point of the final episode is that the second-to-final is an incredibly dumb trope where bojack has his bad actions catch up with him, and the audience has the relief of feeling sympathy with him because it is safe and allowed now that his comeuppance had arrived. this is entirely contrary to the theme of the show however, where bojack is an incredibly real hollywood monster who will never face permanent consequences and who will continue to inflict suffering on himself and everyone else forever.

the final episode is vital.

e: should spoiler that a bit i guess.

agreed re importance of final episode but

everyone else (except pb) cuts him out of their life, and their life goes on without him; not the first time that happened (eg herb having a full life etc).

there’s more going on than standard premium cable antihero californiacation and i think the creator tried to emphasize over the course of the show how you should not identify with bojack, but i get that not everyone is going to read it that way

and I’m sympathetic to the argument that the depiction is glamorizes it; eg no such thing as an anti-war movie

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

also is mr robot Finished finshed? i've never seen a second of it, i was waiting for it to end before i dove in

yeah, its done and not bad ending overall; there’s some things I could argue with but he doesn’t lumberjack off

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

breaking bad ended with badass walt going out a winner; better to assume he owl creek bridged coming out of the bar at the end of the second to last episode

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

jj abrams and damon lindelhof: it's absolutely not a death/afterlife thing. there is no way they're in purgatory
jj abrams and lindelhof, s6: btw they're all in purgatory

tbf purgatory is only the flash sideways scenes but the network cutting in the deserted beach scenes over the credits certainly muddled that

i still have some affinity for lost; remember heroes, lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

aside from being a decade too early for cheap enough superhero dctv cg (ultimate battle! built up all season! around a corner that you can’t see!) it uh turns out they didn’t have a plan

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

haveblue posted:

lost sputtered out around season 3 because you can't write a story for a potentially infinite length of time. at that point the episodes got so trash they were able to go to the suits and negotiate how much longer the series would last, and then the plot started moving again

they still beefed the ending, of course. it was so bad and so famously bad that the joker makes fun of it in one of the batman video games

truly when you’ve lost gamer joker, you’ve lost society

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

like sure maybe but i think the anthology thing was a bit of rear end covering its the drat network forcing me to keep all these characters around america has milomania

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

with trek 09 it was fun to spend time with the characters but not a good trek movie

into darkness was peak jj bullshit

beyond was decent

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

TimWinter posted:

I was one of those kids who liked Starship Troopers at face value, and only found out years later how dumb I am. In response I now don't trust any media because it might be the most scathing piss-take in a generation.

That said, Light Brigade reminded me of Starship Troopers and I liked it at face value.

tbf the number of contemporary reviewers who missed it is pretty high

an easy mistake to make given that it’s 90%+ similar to avg space sci fi shoot em up

doogie swaggering out at the end in full ss gear shoulda been a tell tho

there were some p great missing the point .plans from id from the quake 2 era complaining about why they didn’t they just nuke them from orbit

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rotor posted:

idk why but Cats Cradle is my favorite Vonnegut book.

mine is probably mother night or breakfast of champions.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

bump_fn posted:

harry potter is british of course it’s mean spirited

at the end of ww2, the uk was able to get a shipment of bananas for uk children, a very rare treat what with rationing, world war, etc.

famed english literaturist evelyn waugh proceeded to eat the three bananas his family was given in front of his children, because the children wouldn’t appreciate them as much as he would

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

99.6% of poors own an anime???

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mccoy and spock worked because spock was usually smugly superior

data wanted nothing more than to be a real boy so it was just bullying

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

if ur rudy, who has probably spent the last two decades being the guest of honor at dictator-hosted salo reenactments across four continents, a single consensual-appearing fox news ‘she looked at least 18’ barely moves your kompromat radar

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

wanting your own ray cohn but ending up with michael cohen and rudy g fits with the level of competency in every other aspect of his life

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

he probably should have treated his original ray cohn better and he wouldn't have had to settle for the dollar store versions!

he treated roy the way roy taught him to treat people

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

the framing at the beginning and end of gbh makes it much sadder than you might expect from zany pastel whimsy

but i get why folks don’t like wes anderson and that’s fine too

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

edge of tomorrow then upstream color then the jerk

upstream color is sad but good but wasn’t the most depressing thing ive ever seen ends hopefully

im kinda tired of ‘steve martin’ and understand why he decided to take the last 20 years as an insufferable banjoist but the jerk is still worth seeing

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

yeezy going for the millennial vote

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

uncle junior thought it was gay to eat pussy

all the other fellas thought it was gay to eat pussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU