Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

read a bunch of stanisław Lem this year and as a result I recommend reading stanisław Lem

:hmmyes:

the classic SF i've been reading is the Book of the New Sun which is great. it's a mindfuck, some really haunting lines in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
reading house of leaves, it's kinda fun

animist
Aug 28, 2018
just read Lagoon by nnedi okorafor which is a fun take on a first contact novel. extremely wild ride

animist
Aug 28, 2018
been reading Black Powder War by Naomi Novik. it's fun, you get an interesting slice of Chinese political economy. i especially appreciated the bit where the main character completely fails to understand Taoism. I'm pretty sure she'd kill a Le Guin protagonist on sight.

i also like how the shamans in the book need to be constantly hosed up on psychedelics to do magic. that plus all the war crimes make it feel pretty, idk, Alan Moore. like From Hell wearing the skin of a YA dystopia novel.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
the marvel movies that attempt to be political thrillers are the funnier ones because it's dudes in underwear punching each other saying "government good" "no government bad"

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Kazinsal posted:

fun fact, the writer of star trek into darkness is a 9/11 truther and that's why the uss vengeance (god drat what a stupid ship design) does a 9/11 on san francisco

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
ozark struck me as breaking bad if none of the characters were likable or interesting