Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
isn't that For All Mankind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Anyone picked up on SUGAR on """AppleTV"""..? I'm 3 episodes in, the 4th has just dropped and its and 8ep season - Colin Farrell (looking very handsome in a good suit)

I知 in

NoneMoreNegative posted:

he is just amazing at everything; in fact, he's such a op Mary Sue

I知 so loving in

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

she's obviously a ghoulie or golem or whatever but has a cache of skincare products

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

That's a very depressing thought

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

edit: also withe SWPosting, lol how Obi just walks this off

good god

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I知 watching the first episode Sugar. it's shot amazingly, the score is perfect, I知 loving in love with Colin Farrel's character. calling him OP is a severe understatement. plus now I知 really craving a glass of bourbon

e: and he's a Virgo? 😍😍

e2: and he's drinking Whistlepig??

indigi fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 22, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I'm looking forward to you going :thunk: but a little bigger each episode :o:

Also;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen0rBKLuYE

I loved DP1, 2 I thought was fun but a lesser movie, hopefully the teamup here can elevate 3.

him intervening to save the homeless guy and his dog then tucking in that drunk SMILF is so saccharine I love it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

has anyone read that Nuclear War Scenario book that Denny Villnew optioned like the day after it released

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well it's certainly not narrative but given the entire book is applying real-world research to a series of suppositions I think it qualifies as sci fi. I might take a crack at it this weekend

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it doesn't get any more grounded than that, and it's spectacular

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

oof. if you're going to have a movie that's 80% gun action, you're going to need squibs, or at least far better cg than this

I was thinking that too. if I could make one nearly-inconsequential law it would be that any time a bullet or similar projectile's impact is shown in a movie or tv show there has to be a corresponding squib and CG's only legal use case would be for minor embellishments in such shots. also, lasers/phasers/any sci fi bullshit workaround counts as bullets.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

those first two are gorgeous looking. the others are neat too but a bit duller composition imo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that sucks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I sent this to a friend because I thought it's a funny tweet that was silly, but he works around there and replied "wait the cheese balls guy is real? I saw his flyers, thought it was some gag"

trying to get more info. this guy sounds cool as hell

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

nah the nerds at Columbia are just corny time wasters. this guy is bringing people joy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

but then she cites that yeonmi park and her joe rogan show appearances about conditions in North Korea

oh, Jesus.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

simon pegg goes for a pint part 3

remember when they were gonna cut him from Mission Impossible because of his raging alcoholism and Tom Cruise refused to do the movie without him and said something like (according to Pegg) "I refuse to abandon my friend"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

good for tim cruise (?)

we're lucky Simon Pegg has such a good friend

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how many eps is the season gonna be

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1787515206866030807

are sky lasers legally required now?

also, 2016's batman v. superman had batman, superman, wonder woman, the flash, cyborg, and aquaman, but next year's superman is doing it one better by having superman, supergirl, green lantern, metamorpho, the engineer (from the authority), hawkgirl, mr terrific, and max lord. can't wait for dc's next attempt in 2032; maybe we'll get an even two dozen characters in the first movie.

just casually adjusting my boots on my couch as Brainiac or something fucks up the city

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rotor posted:

unlike marvel who, uh, hm,

for real. they're on the fifth redo of the same x men arc since 9/11

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I thought Flash was impressive because Ezra Miller plays a version of Barry that's so lovely and annoying it makes you kinda think the older Barry isn't that lovely and annoying after all. plus it has Hot Supergirl

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's really good sailing til it runs aground and causes an environmental catastrophe in the final season

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Drummer spinoff now

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rotor posted:

yeah it coulda ended a year earlier. The books kept going even longer, which was also a mistake.

yeah the books took a very weird dive toward the end but I maintain the last few pages are perfect and one of the best final bows I've read

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rotor posted:

I cant really remember them but i do remember thinking that they at least wrapped up the series nicely, despite having gone on too long.

humans reinvent ftl travel after a millennia or so and are visiting other planets to see if any other colonies survived, eventually head back to Earth to find Amos is in charge of a Bronze Age level society and so excited to finally have some smart people to help fix poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that reads like Pratchett lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Seeing as how they're planning a new Gollum Movie with Andy Serkis

The Taming of Sm饌gol, 2010 - Donato Giancola

if that's being queer, then we could do with a bit more queerness in these parts

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jon Daly being about to dome himself with a shotgun before a potential customer shows up was great

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

started on The Biography of X after hearing a few recommendations because it has a strange sci fi premise - set in a universe where the south secedes in 1945 and builds a border wall. I'm only two chapters in and it's very well written but I might have to come back to it later cause it's told from the pov of someone dealing with grief after losing a loved one to (as far as I can tell so far) a protracted illness, and I can't properly appreciate or enjoy that sort of thing right now

just before that I picked up Phoresis, a collection of Greg Egan novellas, cause his poo poo is usually light on characters and emotions and more about neat concepts. very good so far, but the first two stories were about loss/grief and terminal illness lol. so that's also on the shelf for a bit.

if anyone has a rec for some reads that aren't sad - or at least not focused on death/loss/wasting diseases/loneliness - let me know. breezy and fun would be nice but not a requirement. I知 gonna reread Hydrogen Sonata while I look for something nice

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rotor posted:

if youre accepting nonfiction I liked Salt by Kurlansky and One Good Turn by Rybczynski

those look pretty good especially the salt one. I've been trying to find a good natural history of beer/fermented beverages but the few I've tracked down are so written for a popular audience and riddled with personal anecdotes I feel like I知 reading one of those recipes where there's 8 paragraphs of nonsense before even listing the ingredients

I recently purchased "Uncorking the Past: The Quest for Wine, Beer, and Other Alcoholic Beverages" which written by the UPenn researcher who curates their archaeological museum's exhibit on the history of fermentation. the exhibit was cool as gently caress and I'm still thinking about it, so I had high hopes for the book. but it's poorly written and in dire need of editing, and more than half the chapters are devoted to "when I went to visit France on an archaeological dig all the students and local faculty there were very impressed by me! then they honored me with a dinner and me eat frog legs and we all laughed!" type stories. I tapped out like 1/3 through

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh wow apparently I already bought a collection with Bridge of Birds in it when it was on sale for a dollar and forgot about it. time to read

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

does anyone know how international stuff works wrt Kindle? like if I go to Amazon.co.uk and buy a book will I be able to get it delivered to all my devices? I知 annoyed there's still no version of Excession available and it's a pain in the rear end to get pirated stuff onto my Scribe.

I'll also gladly accept a guide to get pirated stuff onto my Scribe/amazon library that actually works. I tried loading the whole of discworld onto it with calibre and it doesn't actually show up either in my content library or on my devices. maybe I知 doing it wrong but I followed the popular guide and it didn't work for me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah, that was my first recourse. I even went in and whitelisted my work email and tried it from there, nothing shows up and Amazon support's suggestion was "did you try sending it from a new email address"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I can get it to recognize pdfs fine but epub, mobi, kfx and azw/3 are completely ignored