Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I will watch the dune movie and it will be good. a friend convinced me to re-read the book and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm having some trouble with my eyes so I dunno if/when I'll be able to. good thing kindles can use huge text size I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

btw never read the state of the art

reads like bad fanfic and twilight zone twists

is that the short story collection? I was reading from the first culture book through the last, hit the short stories, and then stopped bc they were bad. never did pick up the novels again. maybe after I go through dune again

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I watched fury road again last night and it was a very good decision. furiosa doesn't scream much but fury road is always worth watching

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I care

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

he also makes jambalaya

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just remembered that torchwood existed due to an nmn snipe in another thread. jesus that show was terrible

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

better or worst than doctor who, a show so bad it could easily pass as a cruel imitation by jocks of what nerds like

I was watching it because I liked dr who well enough and torchwood was still too awful to deal with.

hurts to admit that but we all have skeletons in the closet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I noped out of torchwood when the main dude and main lady were hiding from a monster and she said "i can feel your hard on"

actually I think that was in like the first episode or two and I gave it 4 or 5 before checking out. idk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

GIS "torchwood cyberwoman", or better yet, don't.

i did it. lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

torchwood is dr why

lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im watching berberian sound studio. I'm about halfway through and it is not very good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the pizza and beer are pretty good though so I guess it's a win

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jesus berberian sound studio was not good. it was all style and no substance except the style was just kinda boring and generic.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

same except I stole a jet because I was late to work

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's sunday morning and im still annoyed by how lame berberian sound studio was

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

didn't protestantism only happen because henry viii wanted to divorce his wife

no.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

now that's a snipe right there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

re: buddhism there's earth and a bunch of hells and a bunch of heavens. it's good to be a human bc you can hear the dharma and escape samsara. it's good to be a god and/or in heaven because obviously it rules but a lot of the time you'll just end up indulging yourself so it's prob better to be a human that can end your suffering but I mean don't worry too much. definitely better to be a buddhist on the path to eliminating suffering than an indulgent god. some buddhists think that earth is too hosed up to allow proper practice so our only hope to eliminate our suffering is to be reborn in the pure land (one of the heavens) where a particular bodhisatva will teach you and help you become enlightened.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i will try to not absolutely poo poo this thread up with eva clips or w/e but banning video from the land of the rising sun is hamfisted and dull
:yeah:
I actually don't mind that anime clips get you a sixer, it keeps the thread from being all clips and no discussion and a sixer is no big deal, and a great video or joke or w/e is totally worth a sixer. but banning even talking about anime is dumb

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I enjoyed eva a lot but none of what you say is inaccurate. tbh skip it if you aren't feeling it and watch something that you definitely like. try it again some other time if you want

if you haven't watched redline, go do that asap. no exaggeration it is one of my favorite pieces of animation ever. just, like, watch it as an audiovisual experience more than as a narrative one. kinda like fury road in that way. or fantasia. except, you know, violent fantasia

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the netflix dub is fine, watch whatever you want

is lovecraft country good?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

indigi posted:

am I the only one who has no patience for weekly releases anymore? like I want to watch Raised By Wolves after the positive reviews it’s gotten here but I think I’d rather wait til all the episodes are out and watch them all in a few days

big :same:

unless there's a good chance it'll get spoiled, we generally wait on new serial shows until the season is out. this means we forget shows a lot though- still haven't watched Chernobyl for example

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

confirmed that book rules

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

name the show jonny!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

somebody posted about into the badlands not too long ago and it reminded me that I never finished season 3. just finished it. it dragged in places, but the ending was satisfying and I'm interested to see what happens next.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

yah
I re-watched it on Netflix recently and it was fine

when it was new though, it really fell short of the “futurama but fantasy” premise

this is correct

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

if they need a title for their fandom i suspect them

:hmmyes:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok if you don't think the dinosaurs in Jurassic park are rad I don't even know what to say to you

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

he also ate at emersons place all the time and would crash there. thoreau was a wiener

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I like some anime but other anime is not for me!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

indigi posted:

lol did a cartoon horse try to kill itself

I mean it's debatable maybe he just really wanted to see how glue was made

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

I read the article and like there's $500bn on the table so like if you take them at their word and assume that it will actually benefit black america it's hard to say "no i will not work with you" but at the same time who the gently caress takes Trump at his word

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I bought enough Infinity figures to have battles but then I never put them together

one of the factions was haqqislam, I don't remember the other one and don't wanna dig them out to find out

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

vonnegut is one of those authors that makes you remember that when it's well-written it's just called "fiction" even when aliens and poo poo are involved (less true in 2020 but still)

this reminds me- is Ursula leguin actually good at writing? like on the spectrum of [heinlein, Asimov, mieville, banks-jemisin, bradbury*], where does she fall?

*ok yes there's a huge gap between banks/Jemisin and Bradbury, cut me some slack and also recommend me authors who go in the gap

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 18, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bluebeard 4 lyfe

also thanks for the recs!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I liked Wes Anderson movies a lot in my late teens and early twenties. I don't know if I'd still like them, but it just feels like I should leave them to that part of my life.

I absolutely love his stop motion stuff though. fantastic mr fox and isle of dogs are both great

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you don't understand the concept of background music? cause it's the same thing

sometimes people do things that aren't watching tv, but use the audio for tv shows as background music

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm watching archer and they just made a solid foucault joke. this season is way better than last season

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm watching Jackie brown for the first time and Jesus it's a fuckin foot shot

I thought this would've been before he got bold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lower decks is good

also holy poo poo jackie brown is probably tarantino's best. didn't expect that. nice.