Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to find articles that five advice about playing the objectives in 10th and I'm not finding much, can anyone recommend any?

I found this:
https://wargameexplorer.com/post/warhammer-40k-tactics-for-beginners/

Relatedly, what are points cheap Space Marine units that can move quickly, so I can relocate as necessary to pursue objectives? I have lots of scouts, and I like how I can infiltrate them into no man's land for early positioning, but what is cheap and fast once the game starts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Relatedly, what are points cheap Space Marine units that can move quickly, so I can relocate as necessary to pursue objectives? I have lots of scouts, and I like how I can infiltrate them into no man's land for early positioning, but what is cheap and fast once the game starts?

a callidus assassin is a strong gofer for mission tasks. sometimes you can get away with landing a drop pod on an objective. (works better on The Ritual.) an empty rhino can also handle that sort of task, if it's still alive after dropping off your squad. bikes, invaders, scout bikes, and land speeders are about your cheapest options for running around the board, although be forewarned that land speeders and old-style bikes are going to in legends soon.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like Transports cost too much, I'd lobe to run lots but it's prohibitive. I do think one Razorback could be a particularly good pairing for my heavy bolter devastators, because they'd both be able to reroll wounds, which will help the relatively low strength.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, what system does 40k use for its role playing game system? Is it still being supported with campaigns? Is it any good?

I wanna try and see if i can make a campaign of some sort of terminators exploring a space hulk...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, what system does 40k use for its role playing game system? Is it still being supported with campaigns? Is it any good?

I wanna try and see if i can make a campaign of some sort of terminators exploring a space hulk...

There are two currently active ones (well, one's in alpha or beta), both by Cubicle 7. Wrath & Glory is established, and it's more or less a quicker thing. Imperium Maledictum is more like the old Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader line that FFG developed some time ago but is now no longer produced.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's percentile system fantasy flight games made, as far as I know. It's one my gaming groups preferred systems. The "Death Watch" book should give everything you need to run a space hulk style game.

Edit: yikes, the costs for a rulebook om ebay are kind of shocking, we have a pile of them so I never thought to check.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

There are at this point multiple 40k RPG systems.

First you have the Original pentalogy of Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Death Watch, Black Crusade and Only War. Originally developed by first Black Industires (a GW subsidary) before moving over to ownership to Fantasy Flight games, nowadays they belong to Cubicle 7.
Those all run on the old Warhammer Fantasy RPG D100 system and some will definitely creak at the hinges because of the system not being able to support higher tiers of play.
But DH is usually considered one of the best, followed by OW if you're looking for a Guard only campaign.

Then there's Dark Heresy 2nd edition, made by FFG. Which is an DH1e overhaul, but was never that popular and only got some books released for it.

Then you have the successor, Wrath & Glory. First edition was made by Ulysses Games and didn't live for long. But the second edition was done by Cubicle 7. It uses a d6 system and let's you play AdMech, Sisters, Space Marines, Guardsmen, Inquisitorial Henchmen and so on. Even some xenos races are in the rules.
The system is okay, but there are some holes in the content. But unlike the previous games, these still get books released. Last week saw an expansion to Sisters and AdMech classes, and there's expanded character books for Marines in the works, as well as Eldar.

Lastly there is Imperium Maledictum, which is also made by Cubicle 7 and is essentially Dark Heresy 2.0 down to using more or less the same dice system. So far, only the core rules have come out for it.

As for campaign, there are a number of pre-written adventures done for more or less all of these. DH1e has two that span two sets of three books for instance. But you can find adventures for more or less all of the 40k rpg systems.

Are they good? Depends really.

Also, there is a 40k RPG thread you can check.

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's percentile system fantasy flight games made, as far as I know. It's one my gaming groups preferred systems. The "Death Watch" book should give everything you need to run a space hulk style game.

Edit: yikes, the costs for a rulebook om ebay are kind of shocking, we have a pile of them so I never thought to check.

You can buy pretty much all of the old FFG 40k rpgs via PDF on DriveThuRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6/Fantasy-Flight-Games/subcategory/36_5611/Deathwatch
Same goes for the other games. When C7 took over the Warhammer RPG licence they also got the rights to sell the older games.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 1, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah my friends and I retrofitted the aptitude system and later combat rules into the earlier games. Aesthetically and thematically we think Dark Heresy (where you play as inquisitorial acolytes) is the strongest game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've heard well about Only War, but never had a chance to play it. Was going to do a campaign with a friend, but I got as far as making a regiment before the whole thing went up in smoke.

So far I've played DH1, Rogue Trader and Wrath & Glory. But only the last one at any length as the other two were just brief pre-made adventures and nothing more.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You could probably run a good 40k campaign with a slightly modified Call of Cthulhu system.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I was always a little bummed that FFG didn't go with their Star Wars/Genesys system for Dark Heresy 2.0, and that they lost the Warhammer license before Genesys really got going. I really love those funny dice and think it would have been a great fit. There's a Dark Heresy Genesys fan project out there that looks pretty good, but an official one would have been rad.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

AndyElusive posted:

that green is so good, what's your secret recipe?

Thank you. The secret is... so many layers.

Black Primer
White Ink Zenithal Highlight (I really don't know if this matters but for consistency I keep doing it)
Emerald Green Ink all over
Lime Green Ink from above ~45 degrees
Light Livery Green on the tops of armor and in the center of armor plates
Green Flourescent over it all (this might not be necessary)
Moon yellow in the very center of armor plates and the tips of raised points (fingers and faceplates etc)
Yellow Flourescent over the yellow

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Cooked Auto posted:

Lots of good words about 40K RPGs

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention there's also excellent hacks available - Scum & Villainy (Forged in the Dark generic Sci-Fi) ports to 40K very well with absolutely minimumal effort, and there's some decent hacks around for some of the generic systems, like Starfinder & Genesys.

If you wanted to do the classic Inquisitor style game, even Blades in the Dark itself works very well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

When it comes to 40k hacks and homebrews, the sky's the limit pretty much. I have absolutely no check that, but if there's a major system, it most likely has a 40k version.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Cooked Auto posted:

When it comes to 40k hacks and homebrews, the sky's the limit pretty much. I have absolutely no check that, but if there's a major system, it most likely has a 40k version.
Oh sure - I just wanted to drop S&V primarily in there because it marries up _so well_ and takes basically no effort.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

FishFood posted:

I was always a little bummed that FFG didn't go with their Star Wars/Genesys system for Dark Heresy 2.0, and that they lost the Warhammer license before Genesys really got going. I really love those funny dice and think it would have been a great fit. There's a Dark Heresy Genesys fan project out there that looks pretty good, but an official one would have been rad.

I actually loathe that system, it always comes across to me as a way to sell special dice. Sure you can use regular dice and remember what all the numbers translate to but it's a pain.

In terms of base systems I've always liked the D100 system in principle from the 40K RPGs as it is immediately obvious how likely an action is to succeed. Everyone understand what a 65% chance means, but saying "OK you need to roll 3 pips across 3 dice and those dice have 2 blank sides, 1 critical fail, 2 single pips, and a double pip side" means it's really tricky to actually figure out what your odds are.

I do agree though that in terms of theme and premise Dark Heresy is by far the best for a traditional roleplaying campaign. Mysteries make the best stories, in my view.

Rogue Trader is a fun swashbuckling adventure but does quite capture the same level of mystery as dark Heresy without a bit of work.

Only War i wanted to run as a Schaffers Last Chancer's game, but I'd also consider running it if my group knew nothing about 40K at all, because you can slaughter people left and right and see things like space marines and aliens in the relative context of "I'm a normal human and that is an eldritch horror and oh look that space marine punched it's head off".

Deathwatch and Black Crusade never interested me. The former feels too much like a combat simulator rather than an RPG, and the latter just seems to attract edge lords. The reality is Black Crusade overlaps with Dark Heresy so much in approach (I.e. You're secretive) and tone (you're outnumbered but maybe not outmatched) I think you can arguably just fold the entire thing into one joint system, representing the never ending shadow war between the forces of chaos and the inquisition.

Dark Heresy also had the psyker system where psykers felt like real potential liabilities. In a campaign i was running a psyker tried to use a relatively mundane power but rolled a perils and made everyone float five foot on the air before crashing them into the ground, damaging everyone.

Then again these days psychic powers in 40K are just "shoot brain bullets", so maybe the latter systems where it was safer were just ahead of their time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Al-Saqr posted:

Humble bundle have been doing bundles of the old fantasy flight rpgs occasionally over the last few years, they did a repeat last time, odds are if you wait long enough they will do another.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

I do agree though that in terms of theme and premise Dark Heresy is by far the best for a traditional roleplaying campaign. Mysteries make the best stories, in my view.

In which case you'd might want to take a gander at Imperium Maledictum, which follows that through line but opens it a little bit more in that you can be an acolyte for other factions beyond the Inquisition. So you can do Ecclesiarchy, AdMech and so on.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The funny dice partially obfuscating the exact odds of success is a feature, not a bug. When assembling the dice pool, you can quickly see if the check is likely to succeed or not, but the results will be a lot more interesting than pass/fail. It's a great system that strikes a nice balance between crunchy character building (like all the FFG 40k RPGs had) and offering a lot of narrative freedom. While having to buy the dice is a small tax, they're really intuitively designed and I've found people learn how to interpret the results really quickly.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

D100 for life, gently caress everything else.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

He has legends rules but you can just use him as a Chaos Lord in Terminator armour.

The Vindicare obviously is just a Vindicare, just big and dumb to use on the tabletop, but mega cool looking. If I was running a tournament I'd ban the model though due to a crazy height advantage. Or I'd rule you can't use anything above the normal model height for LoS purposes.

So, in 40k if you have two of the same guy and one is sculpted to be on a tall rock, they get more LOS than the other one?

This can't be real.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kzin602 posted:

So, in 40k if you have two of the same guy and one is sculpted to be on a tall rock, they get more LOS than the other one?

This can't be real.

LOS is determined like you took a laser pointer and placed it on the observer/shooter's head so a taller model can see over small obstacles and stuff

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

true line of sight is silly, yes

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

That's usually modelling for disadvantage, as LOS works both ways. Good luck hiding when you're standing on your own personal Olympus Mons everywhere you go.

Modelling for advantage is taking a model and converting it, or substituting a proxy, that is smaller and easier to hide.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a pretty good case to be made that most "modeling for dis/advantage" claims are a soft gripe about 3rd party or printed models.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What 40k edition just used size categories and why was it abandoned?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Eediot Jedi posted:

That's usually modelling for disadvantage, as LOS works both ways. Good luck hiding when you're standing on your own personal Olympus Mons everywhere you go.

Modelling for advantage is taking a model and converting it, or substituting a proxy, that is smaller and easier to hide.

In the the vindicare’s case it really isn’t, since it has lone operative and cannot be shot outside of 12”.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

The Demilich posted:

D100 for life, gently caress everything else.

Modeling RPG odds more granularly than in 5% increments is false precision, so D20 is perfectly sufficient.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Muir posted:

Modeling RPG odds more granularly than in 5% increments is false precision, so D20 is perfectly sufficient.

:amen:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
modeling granularity in more than 50% increments is false precision

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Games Workshop executive, squinting: so you mean to tell me there's dice that have more, or fewer, than six sides? And they can have things other than numbers on? Well, that seems like a fad. Nobody wants those. Anyway how's production coming on the Primaris Degreasers?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
GW got rid of non-d6 dice with 40K 3e and it was a good decision

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Multiple other GW games use dice with more than 6 sides.

It’s capped at 6 for 40K players because they know it’s the babies game. :kiddo:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Muir posted:

single dice games are swingy, multiple dice should be used for a nice distribution :colbert:

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

a fatguy baldspot posted:

In the the vindicare’s case it really isn’t, since it has lone operative and cannot be shot outside of 12”.

I have a bit of mental dissonance over the idea that people play this game in competitive tournaments and also you can have a real advantage because your vindicare happens to be the special one on a statue versus your opponent who has the regular version where they are on ground level.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
GW solution: Vindicare gets the Towering keyword.

Edit: Bell-towering

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

GW got rid of non-d6 dice with 40K 3e and it was a good decision

The slavish reliance on the single D6 is bad and is the root cause of most of 40K's balance issues. There's only so much you can do with such a small, flat distribution range.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Devorum posted:

The slavish reliance on the single D6 is bad and is the root cause of most of 40K's balance issues. There's only so much you can do with such a small, flat distribution range.

I dunno I think relying only on D6 makes life alot easier for people like me who dont live in places where strange types of dice arent regularly available.

It's easy for me to get a bucket of D6 dice than it is for me to get one d20 or d10 or d3 or whatever.

Although I will admit I'm tempted to get some pure D3 shapes dice since those are an integral part of the game system.

these specifically look pretty awesome:-

https://www.etsy.com/listing/142788..._search_click=1

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 2, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I dunno I think relying only on D6 makes life alot easier for people like me who dont live in places where strange types of dice arent regularly available.

It's easy for me to get a bucket of D6 dice than it is for me to get one d20 or d10 or d3 or whatever.

Although I will admit I'm tempted to get some pure D3 shapes dice since those are an integral part of the game system.

these specifically look pretty awesome:-

https://www.etsy.com/listing/142788..._search_click=1

Sure, I definitely see that...but 2d6 would work wonders in opening the mechanics and making them less swingy while still keeping the D6.

I have physical D3s as well a d6s marked as d3s (2 1s, 2 2s, 2 3s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

LOS is determined like you took a laser pointer and placed it on the observer/shooter's head so a taller model can see over small obstacles and stuff

It's better than that. That's how True Line of Sight worked in 5th when it was first introduced.

Now it's literally "can you draw line of sight to any part of the enemy model from any part of your model".

So the fact the normal Vindicare is holding his rifle upright means you can put him behind a wall and he can shoot out of the top of the tip of his rifle like a periscope.

Theoretically that also means you can shoot back but he's a lone operative so you can't shoot him unless you're within 12".

kzin602 posted:

I have a bit of mental dissonance over the idea that people play this game in competitive tournaments and also you can have a real advantage because your vindicare happens to be the special one on a statue versus your opponent who has the regular version where they are on ground level.

I imagine most TOs would rule you measure line of sight as if it were the normal model, or ban it entirely.

Anyone who isn't a twat and genuinely owns it and uses it because it's cool won't have an issue treating it as if it's the shorter version. Try hards modelling for advantage will complain.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 2, 2023