Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My quarantine project for the past ~month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EdBlackadder posted:

Likewise Thousand Sons warpflamers. I've still got a squad to build and might try and magnetise them, 12" range suddenly makes a squad of warpflamers pushing an objective seem interesting.

I like how the article says crisis suits won out on the change but I dunno man they still seem weak.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

Hell yeah dude looking sick

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

MRLOLAST posted:

And please, please GW, wh40k as a game is completely trash if you just support one faction - it would not surprise me if most people are just buying the GW minis for painting and not playing.

Think this has always been the case, and is one of the reasons the plague has impacted GW a lot less than other mini games. As weird as it sounds, games heavily based around actual in person play are getting their teeth kicked in.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Stephenls posted:

I think they're only updating the things that share gear names with the gear in the codexes as they're published. So, meltas get the upgrade, and then anything called a "melta" gets the upgrade as well. But anything that's a flame weapon but uses its own name for it has to wait for that faction's codex. Tau get the flamer upgrade because unlike most xenos, and unlike the other things on their wargear list, their flamer is actually called a "flamer" and not, I dunno, an "incindiary projector" or whatever it might have been called if the people doing the tau codexes hadn't randomly decided that their flamer is just a flamer and doesn't get its own xenotech name. Burna Boyz don't get "flamers," they get "burnas," so they're out of luck until their codex hits.

I actually reckon anything that is a Flamer or Meltagun by any other name will get updated too. I mean look at the Fire Dragons, they basically have meltaguns, so I can see their rules getting updated but like Star Cannons not getting updated.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Kitchner posted:

I actually reckon anything that is a Flamer or Meltagun by any other name will get updated too. I mean look at the Fire Dragons, they basically have meltaguns, so I can see their rules getting updated but like Star Cannons not getting updated.

I mean, I hope you're right. That would be a good thing.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I just played a game against a friend who brought a Relic Leviathan Dreadnought with two Storm Cannon Arrays, and I have absolutely no idea of how I'm supposed to deal with it between T8 and a 4+ invulnerable save. Any tips? I generally play Chaos Daemons, but have also tried out Chaos Marines.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mugaaz posted:

Think this has always been the case, and is one of the reasons the plague has impacted GW a lot less than other mini games. As weird as it sounds, games heavily based around actual in person play are getting their teeth kicked in.

Hell, I deliberately pivoted from TTRPGs to Warhammer once I realized that as long as I'm going to be one of those "gamers" who collects but doesn't play, it's more fun to paint minis and never put them on a game table than fill out character sheets for characters that will never see a game.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Lori posted:

I just played a game against a friend who brought a Relic Leviathan Dreadnought with two Storm Cannon Arrays, and I have absolutely no idea of how I'm supposed to deal with it between T8 and a 4+ invulnerable save. Any tips? I generally play Chaos Daemons, but have also tried out Chaos Marines.

2 st10 shots hitting on 2+ per turn.that's rough. Bring small stuff so he can't get value and play the mission?
I don't know really because that thing is a beast. You need a good invulnerable save to face it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lori posted:

With great difficulty is the honest answer, Leviathan Dreads are brutal. With Daemons I think your best bet would be to try and get a Keeper of Secrets into combat with it, fight twice, and try to degrade it's profile enough that in the shooting phase it's hitting you on 5s.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I don't know if this was posted in the last thread before shutting, but I just saw a snippet from the new White Dwarf about the new Reanimation Protocols:

This kinda just makes RP into Feel No Pain, but I'm not complaining

Desfore fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 14, 2020

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Still working on the other two, but I finished the first of the three bikers from the Indomitus box. These bikes have always belonged to the Blood Ravens, what are you on about?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've finally concluded that I'm way too invested in the classic metal sisters to adopt the new sculpts.

Where the heck can I find 28mm bases?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Commissar Canuck posted:

Still working on the other two, but I finished the first of the three bikers from the Indomitus box. These bikes have always belonged to the Blood Ravens, what are you on about?

So, first of all, that's great. Second of all, wow, those bikes look fuckin' baller in red.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Desfore posted:

I don't know if this was posted in the last thread before shutting, but I just saw a snippet from the new White Dwarf about the new Reanimation Protocols:

So how I've read this is it works like this:

You declare a unit is going to shoot X at a necron unit with reanimation.

You fully resolve those attacks.

After those attacks have been resolved, if the unit is still alive you get back up on a 5+.

If that's how it works it's better than FNP against 2D+ weapons but functionally the same against 1D weapons. It also makes the units that buff the reanimation protocol rolls really good as can you imagine a 20 Warrior squad getting back up on a 4+ re-rolling 1s?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

moths posted:

I've finally concluded that I'm way too invested in the classic metal sisters to adopt the new sculpts.

eBay has every variation of GW sized base you can imagine, generally.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Desfore posted:

Yeah but it still allows for out of phase uses like resurrection orb that give you that unstoppable robot feel. (and this way it doesn’t suck anymore! Probably)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

TTerrible posted:

eBay has every variation of GW sized base you can imagine, generally.

That was my first shot but 28mm is also the scale so I got so very many bad hits.

I'll keep at it tho, thanks.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

moths posted:

I think the new Sisters (and therefore the old ones if you refresh them) are on 32mm now!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stephenls posted:

I think they're only updating the things that share gear names with the gear in the codexes as they're published. So, meltas get the upgrade, and then anything called a "melta" gets the upgrade as well. But anything that's a flame weapon but uses its own name for it has to wait for that faction's codex. Tau get the flamer upgrade because unlike most xenos, and unlike the other things on their wargear list, their flamer is actually called a "flamer" and not, I dunno, an "incindiary projector" or whatever it might have been called if the people doing the tau codexes hadn't randomly decided that their flamer is just a flamer and doesn't get its own xenotech name. Burna Boyz don't get "flamers," they get "burnas," so they're out of luck until their codex hits.

GW seems committed to the general idea that any piece of gear with the same name has the same stats across the whole game, hence Space Marine chainswords getting renamed from "Chainsword" to "Astartes chainsword," to accompany their stat buff.

I see. So Banshee swords are actually still called power swords? I suppose that could make sense. Still odd since many factions have weapons that re functionally equivalent to these specific things and just have a unique name. Like, is there really any confusion a Skorcha is just a Heavy Flamer or a Power Klaw is a Power Fist?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Verisimilidude posted:

Dose are some good boyz

moths
Aug 25, 2004

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I think the new Sisters (and therefore the old ones if you refresh them) are on 32mm now!

They are, but Repentia got stuck on a new exclusive-to-one-set base size. It's hella dumb.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

moths posted:

I thought this too but new Sisters have won me over. This means I have some metal sisters who are, realistically, never going to get painted, if that’s of any interest.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lasting Damage posted:

I see. So Banshee swords are actually still called power swords? I suppose that could make sense. Still odd since many factions have weapons that re functionally equivalent to these specific things and just have a unique name. Like, is there really any confusion a Skorcha is just a Heavy Flamer or a Power Klaw is a Power Fist?

Howling Banshees do indeed still get powered swords that are just called power swords. And the advantage of skorchas and power klaws having their own stat lines is that GW could, if they determined it were necessary or desireable, tweak them a bit to be unlike heavy flamers or power fists, if they decide that the exact stat line for heavy flamers and power fists works for all the armies that get heavy flamers and power fists but don't work for orks.

Speaking as someone who has no knowledge of internal GW workings but has worked on Exalted and is therefore familiar with the phenomenon of a system with problems that can only be iteratively and imperfectly fixed based on a publishing schedule, it is very easy and somewhat inevitable to get into the mindset that any problem that I've fixed on my step of the production pipeline isn't a problem anymore, even if I "fixed" it from my perspective six months ago but the book the fix will appear in won't be out for another year. GW is probably sitting on a semi-complete new set of datasheets for everything in the Craftworlds codex already, all of which are now winding their way through art direction, editing, layout, etc. so why not just errata all the old datasheets so they incorporate whatever fixes GW has settled on? Well, for starters they want to sell the new codex but secondly that'd be absurd, and what if the new datasheets have stuff in them that only work with the new stratagems? Errata them, too?

"Errata only the gear that shares entries with gear in other codexes that have gotten updates" is a reasonable place to draw the line.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 14, 2020

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Bit of a weird question, but did GW models every come on black colored plastic sprues? I recently purchased a necron Doomscythe secondhand and the sprues look good but are black plastic instead of the usual dark gray. The stamp on the sprue says Games Workshop 2011.

Did I inadvertently purchase recast?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 14, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mikey Purp posted:

Bit of a weird question, but did GW models every come on black colored plastic sprues? I recently purchased a necrom Doomscythe secondhand and the sprues look correct but are black plastic instead of the usual dark gray. The stamp on the sprue says Games Workshop 2011.

AFAIK the individual kits are all grey but the big box sets will sometimes color the plastic to make it clear like which sprues are for the marines and which sprues are for the orks or whatever. Did a doomscythe ever come in a bigger box?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

moths posted:

That was my first shot but 28mm is also the scale so I got so very many bad hits.

I'll keep at it tho, thanks.

If you want to stay with the old size, I'm pretty sure the old standard for 28mm scale was actually 25mm.

So, try this (and wait two months):
https://wargamebase.aliexpress.com/store/group/25mm/2062028_506855866.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.23c550e9jl7q6b

But frankly, models that were on 25s actually look good on 32s. 25s were legitimately too small.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JackMann posted:

And with that, we have a new thread!

We're currently a bit light on army photos for the main post. If people would like to submit their own, that would help break in the new thread and help with that problem. Let us know if you're good with us using them in the main post. Even if you're not, I still want to see your hams!

Aw yeah, new thread! Time for an army image dump. Feel free to use any.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mikey Purp posted:

Bit of a weird question, but did GW models every come on black colored plastic sprues? I recently purchased a necron Doomscythe secondhand and the sprues look good but are black plastic instead of the usual dark gray. The stamp on the sprue says Games Workshop 2011.

They might be primed still on the sprue. Cut a piece off and see if it’s grey underneath.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

moths posted:

They are, but Repentia got stuck on a new exclusive-to-one-set base size. It's hella dumb.

I HAD NO IDEA 28.5MM EXISTED

GW has them but I know they're not the cheapest

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Citadel-28-5mm-Round-Bases-2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I HAD NO IDEA 28.5MM EXISTED

Most people don't as they're really, really new. I think the new Banshee kit was one of the first ones who had em.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Is it not a bit gaming the system to put models on smaller bases for melee units? Or are you putting them on bigger bases?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Should I rebase my stealth suits onto 32mm?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lori posted:

Psychic powers can really help you here, a lord of change can put a lot of hurt on a single unit, nurgle can at least lower it to T7, and CSM can remove the invulnerable save. At that point you can probably put a melee unit in and rip it up, or shoot it if you are CSM.

The other option is to touch it with small disposable units. It has 2 attacks with no ap and one damage so as long as the flamers can’t clear you it will have to shoot a unit of your choice with the storm cannons. That at least keeps you holding objectives and scoring points.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm looking forward to rolling out a couple of retributor squads with heavy bolters for my sisters when I finally get to them. You'd think roni would be good for painting but I just can't be hosed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

akulanization posted:

Psychic powers can really help you here, a lord of change can put a lot of hurt on a single unit, nurgle can at least lower it to T7, and CSM can remove the invulnerable save. At that point you can probably put a melee unit in and rip it up, or shoot it if you are CSM.

The other option is to touch it with small disposable units. It has 2 attacks with no ap and one damage so as long as the flamers can’t clear you it will have to shoot a unit of your choice with the storm cannons. That at least keeps you holding objectives and scoring points.

Can you fire flamers in melee with it?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah. It will still have trouble clearing nurgling bases or whatever, but it means that putting <4 wounds into it probably only stops it from moving.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah, you'd have to touch it with something that can survive it's close combat, which isn't hard, and two heavy flamer shots.

I think mortal wounds via physic powers (probably from a Lord of Change) or a keeper of secrets in combat is the best bet. Ironically in 8th you could give it -2 to hit you with the KoS in combat (wit stealer sword and the psychic power) and -3 in shooting. Now with the -1 cap though you need to degrade it to neuter it, otherwise next turn its going to shoot whatever is tagging it with two flamers and a storm cannon array and probably kill it.

A Keeper of Secrets will do 4.38 damage from the wit stealer, and 1.94 with the snapping claws so that's about 6 wounds total. You can use the Slaanesh psychic power to fight twice, so about 12 wounds. That's enough to degrade it to BS 5, so when it fires back at you with its dual storm cannon arrays it's hitting on 6s. This does about 2.88 wounds back to you, and you can kill it in your combat.

You really need to roll at least average for that to work though, there's not really a lot of margin for bad rolls. If you fail to do more than 9 wounds it hits you on 5s which is nearly 6 wounds in return. You'd still win i think but your keeper would be crippled. Then again the leviathan Dread costs nearly 100 points more so maybe worth it.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 15, 2020

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

ro5s posted:

They might be primed still on the sprue. Cut a piece off and see if it’s grey underneath.

I'm an idiot, this was it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If you're ever curious if something is a recast it's very easy to tell the difference between resin and plastic and 99.99% of the time a recast will be resin.

Not that this helps if it's finecast or Forgeworld but honestly there's almost zero way to differentiate a good recast from official Forgeworld unless it's a weird colored resin.